• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega smashing!

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Let's talk about how we use Mega man. Are you a camper, edge guarder, or do you simply not care? Let's talk about how we use him in combos!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I use him however he needs to be used! Always looking for new tricks to use with him as well.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Nice nice, I like to actually up close to them, it's a nice change compared to what most people are use to.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I loving switching it up and trying to confuse my opponents!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think that is the best way to beat an opponent, mix up your play style so you aren't always doing the same things over and over

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Well of course, most people see him as utility or long range most people forget his dtilt and how well it combos.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I find his Dtilt is good for an approach because it usually still hits if the opponent rolls away its a solid move

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
When I am facing a good opponent, I try to keep track of how well he responds to my style. I use certain approaches and follow ups until the opponent dodges the same tech more than once. Once this happens I switch it up! I train my opponent to respond a certain way, then I punish this learning with negative reinforcement!

Leaf Shield, for example, is great for this. At first I'll throw up LS and rush with it looking for a grab. If that doesn't work twice, I'll throw it the next time, dashing after the throw attacking with a Top Spin.

Metal Blade too, is awesome. I'll throw it up diagonally to stuff my opponent's aggressive jumps. When he gets used to that, I'll start throwing it forward
predicting that he'll no longer jump as part of his approach.

Down throw can lead into SO many things, Uair, Metal Blade, Fair, Bair...Keep your opponent guessing!

Brains love patterns and learn from them easily. If you punish pattern recognition with mix ups you will stay in control of the battle flow, which is what Mega is ALL about.

I feel good Mega Man play requires a lot of prediction. Luckily, every one of his moves has plenty of uses! So, practice your go-to combos and also practice switch up combos that compliment your go-tos so you can mix it up comfortably mid match.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
When I am facing a good opponent, I try to keep track of how well he responds to my style. I use certain approaches and follow ups until the opponent dodges the same tech more than once. Once this happens I switch it up! I train my opponent to respond a certain way, then I punish this learning with negative reinforcement!

Leaf Shield, for example, is great for this. At first I'll throw up LS and rush with it looking for a grab. If that doesn't work twice, I'll throw it the next time, dashing after the throw attacking with a Top Spin.

Metal Blade too, is awesome. I'll throw it up diagonally to stuff my opponent's aggressive jumps. When he gets used to that, I'll start throwing it forward
predicting that he'll no longer jump as part of his approach.

Down throw can lead into SO many things, Uair, Metal Blade, Fair, Bair...Keep your opponent guessing!

Brains love patterns and learn from them easily. If you punish pattern recognition with mix ups you will stay in control of the battle flow, which is what Mega is ALL about.

I feel good Mega Man play requires a lot of prediction. Luckily, every one of his moves has plenty of uses! So, practice your go-to combos and also practice switch up combos that compliment your go-tos so you can mix it up comfortably mid match.
You're right you do have to predict a lot but that's part of the fun

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I am as basic as you get with MM, honestly. MB into grabs/dash attack, other than that i usually play more defensive.
Because of that, i get predictable really fast, i need to work more on mix-ups, just like Enker said.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
I used to be a camptastic Megaman who thrived on punishes, (mostly because I used to play that style Falco in Brawl), but the person I friendly the most offline mains Rosalina. As a result I'm rather aerial aggressive now.

I don't have a favorite combo, since the only one I use is D-throw to Fair. But my favorite mix up is Dthrow > Fair > (optional Fair) > Metalblade. If Metalblade hits, I'll dash attack, and follow up from there. If they shield, its a free grab, which can lead into another mix up.

At higher percents you can land an uppercut after metalblade if you read for it.

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I used to be a camptastic Megaman who thrived on punishes, (mostly because I used to play that style Falco in Brawl), but the person I friendly the most offline mains Rosalina. As a result I'm rather aerial aggressive now.

I don't have a favorite combo, since the only one I use is D-throw to Fair. But my favorite mix up is Dthrow > Fair > (optional Fair) > Metalblade. If Metalblade hits, I'll dash attack, and follow up from there. If they shield, its a free grab, which can lead into another mix up.

At higher percents you can land an uppercut after metalblade if you read for it.
I'll have to try that out

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I always start games off by grabbing a Metal Blade and tossing it along with Crash Bombs and Lemons. Once I overwhelm them with an onslaught of projectiles, I usually dash attack then try to read his next move by going for Dtilt. Alternatively, I live to Leaf Shield, into Dthrow, into Fair since it combos well at early %. As a zoning character, it's important to use all the tools you have when appropriate, and as a result, I mix in a lot of moves at mid % and finish them off with either a Bthrow to Fsmash, short hop Bair to Fsmash or Dsmash edge guard depending on my own percent and my opponent's character.

I luv Mega Man :3

Top Bottom