• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics Differences between Wii U and 3DS Versions?

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
Terribly sorry if this has been answered before, but is there any record of people playing a release build of the Wii U version at any events? Or are our impressions of the Wii U version still based on the E3 build? I'm curious if there will be any significant mechanics changes between the two versions. Perhaps the game will feel a bit faster? I really have no idea.

But assuming the mechanics are nearly identical...then why would anyone buy the Wii U version? The 3DS version actually runs pretty well, and I don't think there are any stage bosses in the 3DS stages. 3DS version still has online play, For Glory mode, Final Destination versions of stages, etc. All the characters will be the same, and I doubt they will unlock characters on both versions for owning the Wii U version. That would be...incredibly sleazy, in my opinion. I doubt Nintendo would do that.

Either the unannounced Wii U exclusive features are going to be mind blowing, or (and this one is unlikely) the Wii U version is the more "competitive" version of Smash 4. If neither of these things are true, and they are practically identical...then why spend the extra $20? To then spend an additional $20 to play with a Gamecube controller? Yellow Devil?

Please let me know if people have played a near release build of the Wii U version at some event. It's hard to find that information when most of the discussion at the moment is centered around the 3DS version.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
To the best of my knowledge, there is not currently a release build of the U version available.
I didn't think so. Thanks for confirming. I'll still hold out some hope for the Wii U version.

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
We dont know much about the Wii U version, but I would assume that the mechanics are the same.
Many people would still buy the Wii U version having the 3DS version already. The Wii U version has potential in both casual and competitive play. If I go to a party or a friends house, I would rather have all of it set up than have to bring my own 3ds. Also, the 3ds version requires everyone to have both their own handheld and their own game, and not everyone has both. People also prefer the big screen and HD graphics. In the competitive aspect, people usually prefer the Wii U controls/controllers (It feels better to play with a controller like the gamecube than a 3ds). The 3ds was designed to be played anywhere, the Wii U is designed for better at home and tournament play.

Top Bottom