• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MechaJuggling

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
My capture card is on the fritz so I can't postpost videos right now, and I don't know if its a known thing, but if you zdrop a mechakoopa and regrab it before it hits the ground you become invulnerable to its explosion if it happens to blow up in your hand.

I call this MechaJuggling.

It's honestly not the most important tool in bjrs kit, but it allows for a new level of mind games and mixup options. Here are a few I've used in battle to my advantage, if you figure out some more please share!

-Running at your opponent with a mk in hand pressures them to react, usually with a defensive option. If they shield as you approach, expecting the toss or even just the explosion to hurt you, you can just grab them. If they jump/ airdodge, you can use bjr's monstrous punish game to lay down the hurt. The moment the mk explodes you're free to attack as normal. Abuse this as much as you can.

- It technically gives bjr an active hitbox, however brief. Angling your shield forward moves your character model, and with it, the mk position. This can make shielding an offensive option. This is situational at best but its still an option to be aware of.

- you can now up b with the mk in hand and not be worried about being hurt by the explosion. Still working on how this could be useful, tbh.

-regrabbing the zdrop is a bit of a mixup already and might catch your opponent off guard. This AT on its own allows you to hold on to what is normally a short fuse projectile a lot longer than normal.

- This makes the double explosion stacking glitch exponentially more potent and easy to perform. At close range getting the double explosion is very easy with a little practice, and with no actual pressure to throw the mk at any time you don't need to worry about blowing yourself up.

- Not having to worry about the mk explosion means it occasionally works well as a combo breaker/throw interrupt.

That's all I've got for right now. Hopefully you guys can come up with some more stuff!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Interesting! I have made this happen sometimes but didn't know what triggered it.

I have a hard time seeing how it's really gonna be useful in practice though as it takes some time to setup but i guess it's good to keep in mind when you get a mechakoopa in hand.
Im gonna experiment some with it and see if i can find some more applications. Cool find!

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah there's a bit of a setup window, but it can be done while approaching with a shorthop since you can use the aerial hitbox that comes out when you catch it to create space/land a hit. Again, this isn't going to be something you use 100 times every match, but maybe once or twice for the purposes of mindgames and mixups.

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Does zdropping a mk reset its timer the way picking it up for the first time does? And if so, does picking it up again reset it? Because i can see some insane edgeguarding potential if thats the case..

Edit: also, great find!

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Nope, that would be incredibly broken and I would love it though.

Not sure if this tripped you up or if it's unrelated, but to clarify, when I said "This AT on its own allows you to hold on to what is normally a short fuse projectile a lot longer than normal" I meant that it just removes the 'hot potato' time-bomb element of it. You don't have to worry about getting rid of it before you turn yourself into potential combo fodder.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Interesting! I have made this happen sometimes but didn't know what triggered it.

I have a hard time seeing how it's really gonna be useful in practice though as it takes some time to setup but i guess it's good to keep in mind when you get a mechakoopa in hand.
Im gonna experiment some with it and see if i can find some more applications. Cool find!
You can set it up while your opp is recovering from below.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
You can set it up while your opp is recovering from below.
Im not exactly sure what you mean here, but i don't think it would be that useful if the opponent is recovering.

Anyway after testing this a little more it's not hard to use after all as the Zdrop to an aerial/airdodge is pretty fast and getting a mechakoopa in hand is easy by doing the "Fullhop mechakoopa" technique described in an other thread which makes you be able to grab it when it spawns.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I've found this to be useful for psyching out this one really campy fox I play with. Basically you can bluff the toss to activate their reflector and get an easy punish.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Im not exactly sure what you mean here, but i don't think it would be that useful if the opponent is recovering.

Anyway after testing this a little more it's not hard to use after all as the Zdrop to an aerial/airdodge is pretty fast and getting a mechakoopa in hand is easy by doing the "Fullhop mechakoopa" technique described in an other thread which makes you be able to grab it when it spawns.
Well you can edge steal > ledge hop > toss or Do an edge attack while holding the mk if they managed to return to the stage.

I usually just edge steal > edgehop > Nair though.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Just used this to save me from a Ganoncide. New tech, get side b'd and it'll explode near the bottom blast zone, causing Ganon to sd and you can make it back to the stage.

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Hey guys, awesome thread and good ideas. Also to put in your bag of tricks, if you pick up the mechakoopa before he activates (basically as he's bouncing) you can then at any point throw it into the ground and it will bounce instead of blowing up. As it is bouncing you can grab it again and that sets up the same situation as the Z-drop scenario you are discussing in this thread. Just an extra little trick. Maybe with enough experience we can be pseudo-snake with how he used grenades defensively in brawl.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Hey guys, awesome thread and good ideas. Also to put in your bag of tricks, if you pick up the mechakoopa before he activates (basically as he's bouncing) you can then at any point throw it into the ground and it will bounce instead of blowing up. As it is bouncing you can grab it again and that sets up the same situation as the Z-drop scenario you are discussing in this thread. Just an extra little trick. Maybe with enough experience we can be pseudo-snake with how he used grenades defensively in brawl.
That's pretty cool. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds like you can essentially dribble the mk. The setup for that is extremely situational but it might be advantageous occasionally.

Edit: cannot get this to work. I'm very skeptical that this is actually a thing.

Edit 2: got it working, this is really funny. Good find.

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
Does someone have a video/gif of this? I had very little time to play recently and I couldn't quite figure this one out

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Does someone have a video/gif of this? I had very little time to play recently and I couldn't quite figure this one out
Do a full hop mk drop and pick it upup before it starts walking. If you throw it down while you're standing on the ground it will bounce instead of explode. The best part about this is that you can jump cancel toss it into the ground as a movement option to close the gap or even to fake out and do a pivot grab behind you.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Jct into grab into upthrow always connects with the mk. Back throw will too but the timing is fairly precise.

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
Do a full hop mk drop and pick it upup before it starts walking. If you throw it down while you're standing on the ground it will bounce instead of explode. The best part about this is that you can jump cancel toss it into the ground as a movement option to close the gap or even to fake out and do a pivot grab behind you.
In addition, you can dash, hop, and MK drop as soon as you possibly can. If done right, I'm pretty sure your forward momentum will take you far enough to where you can pick up the MK before it begins to walk too far away to pick up.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah that one works too. It's great how there are multiple ways to do everything bjr can do.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@ Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones

Experimented around with these methods above and I think discovered an easier method to setup Mechajuggling that also resets the timer.

Let MK walk up to hit your opponent, but just right when it's about to detonate to send it flying, SH-Airdodge to grab it. This grants the same effect of the explosion not hurting you but in addition, resets the timer.

You need to be pretty close to detonating MK to do this, so be at your opponent's range if it happens most preferably. When you do, you're good to go. :4lemmy:

Last edited:

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
@ Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones

Experimented around with these methods above and I think discovered an easier method to setup Mechajuggling that also resets the timer.

Let MK walk up to hit your opponent, but just right when it's about to detonate to send it flying, SH-Airdodge to grab it. This grants the same effect of the explosion not hurting you but in addition, resets the timer.

You need to be pretty close to detonating MK to do this, so be at your opponent's range if it happens most preferably. When you do, you're good to go. :4lemmy:
Wouldn't you be better off SH - fair/nair ? You'd still catch it but you also space your opponent and I'd assume it works just as well? Either way, good find :D

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wouldn't you be better off SH - fair/nair ? You'd still catch it but you also space your opponent and I'd assume it works just as well? Either way, good find :D
I assume so, let me try it and let you know. Just doing videos for others to see this atm.

Edit: Yep, you're right, I can confirm these working as well. F-Air is really idea and safe to get this done as it also hits the opponent.

EDIT2: Trying to upload videos now showing this.

Damn with Vimeo, too slow for me. Gotta wait, I guess.

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I couple times in this thread i've read that you can attack with out throwing it?
Well you can edge steal > ledge hop > toss or Do an edge attack while holding the mk if they managed to return to the stage.

I usually just edge steal > edgehop > Nair though.
how?
also you cannot throw items after you up-B, so you have a little more protection (if only at the exploding moment). Could be sweet if you time the 'splosion right when you land.

Also, opp get mecha immunity on grab one, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Alrighty, a video demonstrating. You can basically use SH F-Air or N-Air to grab, reseted timer, no hot potato-esque explosions for you.

I post another one soon quick.

EDIT; Aaand another where it affects other players.

I wanna call this Koopa Krenade now.

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I couple times in this thread i've read that you can attack with out throwing it?

how?
also you cannot throw items after you up-B, so you have a little more protection (if only at the exploding moment). Could be sweet if you time the 'splosion right when you land.

Also, opp get mecha immunity on grab one, which is unfortunate.
I meant that instead of edge guarding with this technique I rather use Nair. Usually when I edge steal to ledge hop Nair is by hugging the edge from the stage and not after up B'ing.

Top Bottom