• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me and mah 3 Day old Samus

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Basically since the SBR discussion on Samus I took an interest in playing as her. I basically watched Xyro's Green Lesbo vid and just started playing as her this past Saturday. I also played a bit Sunday, and yesterday. The vids I had here are from yesterday.

VS Diddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF0mdnbqiyw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-auZ6i5r4o8

VS Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqbhIJd-Uo

VS ROB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdgKbGf2UKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9uudSbZWiQ

I have a ways to go, but I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm watching more videos to draw inspiration from, I actually just got through watching some vids of Tudor, and man that's impressive.

Feel free to critique and give me advice, so far I love playing as her. It's quite funny, but she is now my best secondary. I honestly think her potential is far above what people typically think after playing with her this short while.

Here are things that I am working on, my personal to do list:
~Make sure that my capture isn't set on the crap mode which it defaulted to next time. Also, I should buffer the tape cause it takes a while from where I press record to when it starts recording.
~Make better use of the ledge grapple to gimp Fox, Falco, and Diddy better.
~Learn to properly missile cancel (I honestly have yet to spend time in training mode XD, so far it's just been pure friendly matches.)
~Incorporate u-airs, nairs, and my up B more.
~Improve my grab game. I need more grabs, as Samus's grab release offers a great mixup game on my opponent, and her grab attacks recharge my moves.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Your style reminds me a touch of Tudor actually, its a lot of safe pokes with some Projectiles and Zair mixed in and a lot of D-air. Your opponent didn't seem to be thinking on your level, it seemed like he was just trying to put out fast hits against a patient player and putting himself at a disadvantage.

Remember that Samus' (Tudor's!) edge play is very scary with that dunk and pretty safe with the f-air, and that your up-tilt is a once-or-twice a match must use to help KO though it requires some good timing.

I like the idea of diversifying your game, but I think you should take a second and plan some KOs. I feel like the best options there are Tech-chased charge shots, edge play (stagespikes, dunks, other edgeguards), and of course that well-spaced uptilts (trading is good there too)

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Those are really nice for not using samus long... but yea to help:

MC'ing is easy, its just timing you'll get down and yeah like you said itd be done in training.
Uairs I generally only use on platforms or when people are falling down and im below them on the stage already, nairs I use to try to gimp but it usually doesn't work for me but some people it does, and upB is VERY nice move to kill down approaches or to use out of shield OR dash attack and when your just behind them upB and yeah you know what to do with grabs I can tell but just practice landing them and make sure to use dash grab, its better in every way, I think..

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
I like the fair to down tilt.
HA.

either way, you are getting there. For such a short time, you are looking pretty good. Either way, more practice = better.

Just more missile spam! WOOO. I support missiles. Especially smash ones.
Oh, and bombs. And up B.

What is your main though?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I like your vids. Hope you stick with her, the more people who play her the more we can learn about her.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
it seemed like he was just trying to put out fast hits against a patient player and putting himself at a disadvantage.
Kevin is pretty **** tricky, his only problem is that he is a bit too risky. I'm trying to get him to play a bit safer, so I'm sure he'll develop safer and better play in the near future.
Your style reminds me a touch of Tudor actually, its a lot of safe pokes with some Projectiles and Zair mixed in and a lot of D-air.
Except Tudor is a well oiled machine now XD. I also think I'm a good bit more aggressive, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that I haven't mastered her projectile game, so I can't keep up a wall of missiles and the like.
I feel like the best options there are Tech-chased charge shots, edge play (stagespikes, dunks, other edgeguards), and of course that well-spaced uptilts (trading is good there too)
I'd do more tech-chased charge shots, but I have a hard time charging one up and having them handy at the perfect moment. I'd say I'm fairly good at landing the charged shots when I have them, although like with almost anything I can still improve on it. As far as the spikes/stage spikes, I'm working on that too. I saw some of Tudor's vids recently and his spikes are way to sexy.
and of course that well-spaced uptilts (trading is good there too)
Oddly enough I used this move a lot when I messed around with Samus in Melee (as well as the Captain Falcon counterpart) but in brawl it seems a bit awkward. I'll learn the hitbox when I get some time and then find a way to squeeze it into my play.
I like the fair to down tilt.
Yeah, I realized I was doing that a lot, and that in most cases I might have even been buffering it. This wasn't my goal, it's just that I'm used to doing things right before I land (l-canceling) so it was more habitual. Another thing about fair to dtilt is that you don't have to buffer it to combo if you hit with it at relatively high percent, as long as the last hit doesn't land it will knock them slightly upwards to where they would suffer with landing lag and eat a dtilt.
Just more missile spam! WOOO. I support missiles. Especially smash ones.
LOL, yeah I love missiles now too. What I didn't show you guys was the first hour or so of matches in which I didn't use missiles much and Kevin was pretty much consistently beating me. I then started experimenting with using the homing missiles more, and the mixup between uncharged shots, missiles, and zair had him rethinking his approach in a lot of cases.
Oh, and bombs.
Yeah, I thought bombs were pretty terrible, but then I saw some Tudor vids and realized I could be using them too.
Remember, drop down fair from ledge is your friend.
It seems that drop down aerials in general seems to be your friend with Samus.
Hope you stick with her, the more people who play her the more we can learn about her.
I plan on it man, she is way better than I used to give her credit for, plus she's so much fun to play.

On a side note, I'm going to watch more of your videos soon. So far I've just seen a video of you versus Lambchops that was wifi, but it was a **** good match (especially considering it was wifi O_o). My router and wii don't agree, so I can't play online currently, but when this new semester starts up on August 18th I should be able to play. I'd like to play matches with you, Tudor, and Xyro and get some active critiquing.
What is your main though?
My main is ROB, but my best secondary is now Samus. I should probably pick up another to help deal with Metas, but I'll do that at a later time.

ADHD

Smash Hero
More screw attack? I don't know, you may not want to use it because it ends a combo but you had a ton of opportunites to use it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm going to have to watch these videos. I am watching the first one right now, and it looks kind of funny, because you're new to Samus. :laugh:

I'd really like to see how well your Samus fares against mine.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Very nice Samus so far. Good stuff, but try adding screw attack to you game more. Its a really good follow up after a dair and its really good to end uair>fair combos. Overall its just really good for racking up damage and combos well.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Really great stuff for a new Samus. But like people said, more Screw Attack. Ground grapple is slow, so Samus's shield grab is the Screw Attack.

Top Bottom