• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, Shirobon's balls display properly in game but not in the previewer? Weird. Definitely one of the projects I want to see. If only I could animate or do PSA, I'd help...

What exactly does the bone addition do? Does it just create dummy bones to fill the count, or are they attached to something?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I believe sadly it is because they are pokemon that can be switched in battle D:
or it is the entry animation/graphics D:
Well since it's crashing BBox I don't think that's the problem. Animations usually don't freeze unless their rotations, translations or scaling are over 9000, and since this is just a model, the pokemon switching shouldn't matter.

EDIT: AHHHHH It doesn't just give Memory Corrupt on preview, previewing Tex0s causes it too. Everything else is fine.
Edit 2: AHHHHH Okay, so for some reason in the model each texture is being referenced twice. Because it can't find those, I suspect that is causing the freezes. This is AFTER using Fort's bone adder.

Fort? D:

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, Shirobon's balls display properly in game but not in the previewer? Weird. Definitely one of the projects I want to see. If only I could animate or do PSA, I'd help...

What exactly does the bone addition do? Does it just create dummy bones to fill the count, or are they attached to something?
Quote from 2 pages ago that I said "lol, this is awesome. I thought maybe we could tell what parts the bones control but it just adds bones that don't do anything. I guess as long as the character has bones for controlling the main parts of their bodies that it doesn't matter. Thanks a lot fortwaffles, this will really help out people and their projects!"

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Quote from 2 pages ago that I said "lol, this is awesome. I thought maybe we could tell what parts the bones control but it just adds bones that don't do anything. I guess as long as the character has bones for controlling the main parts of their bodies that it doesn't matter. Thanks a lot fortwaffles, this will really help out people and their projects!"
Gah, don't post unless you've totally caught up with the thread. My fault...

Kryal said this function would be possible with the model rebuilder, but this is certainly helpful if people want to get a head start without it. Of course, you could also add functional bones with that, so I don't know if it's the best idea to do animations and whatnot yet. Not that I want to stand in anyone's way.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Can someone explain to me what exactly needs to be done to the bones for the model to work correctly?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
This is awesome. Now I need to figure out which character to put darkrai over. Now that I can hijack a character's articles, I should be able to do a ton more cool stuff than when I was stuck with an alloy. Darkrai will be very tricky. >=D

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... does this bone adding thing allow us to work with more bones like the ThrowN bone? That is, bones that don't stretch any part of the body so you can go and attach GFX and projectiles to them a la "Brawlboxing a projectile?"

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Tried to port Canada Hockey Place (ihn1_GM_Place_al1.brres) from Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games, with no luck. Any ideas why? I ran the three programs on the extracted .brees but it won't show up in BrawlBox. They did work on another model, which was some small wedged item from curling. I couldn't tell exactly, because the textures weren't in the .brres.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me what exactly needs to be done to the bones for the model to work correctly?
You mean like to where it's not in T pose or all messed up looking? Well it depends on if its a brawl model or a model from a different game. If it's a brawl model then you should be able to just rename bones of that model to work with the character's animations that you are putting them over. Like for example if you see a bone that controls Knuckles' main part of his hand then you would go find the character you're replacing's bone, say Sonic's, and find his bone that controls the main part of his hand. Then you would rename Knuckles' hand bone to sonic's hand bone. For the bones that are extra bones that are added in for the character to work you would only use them for TransN bone and ThrowN bone. (unless you already have a bone that controls nothing and can be used for ThrowN, or a second bone that controls the whole character and can be used for TransN.) TopN and TransN are needed and TopN needs to control the whole model. If there isn't a second bone for controlling the whole model then for TransN just set a bone that doesn't do anything to be TransN and for when TransN is used then for that animation just move TopN (or maybe the hip bone, not sure) to make him move, run for example, the right distance so that the model moves the way it should, but the thing is you also need to move the TransN bone the same way that you are moving the TopN bone for that animation. You also need to make sure that TopN bone index is 0, and that TransN is the bone index of the character you're replacing's TransN bone. Also make sure that ThrowN is has the bone index to be the last bone. Like if there's 45 bones then ThrowN's bone index would be 44, because the first bone is 0. That should solve the TransN and ThrowN bone problems. Now if the model starts moving in strange ways then you'll have to do some editing of some animations. If you are using a model that came from a different game then you will have to do the same things I said before but you can't use animations from brawl, you have to use animations from the game that model came from. And you will also have to make custom animations for it. If this is confusing for you guys don't worry I plan on making a series of tutorials on this stuff soon.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Hmm... does this bone adding thing allow us to work with more bones like the ThrowN bone? That is, bones that don't stretch any part of the body so you can go and attach GFX and projectiles to them a la "Brawlboxing a projectile?"
This is relevant to my interests. Volnutt doesn't have a good ThrowN bone, and if I could add one, it would be great.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Just wondering, has anyone checked virtual console titles? I'm guessing few if any have them, but the thought of OoT beast form Ganon in Brawl makes me drool (drowns millions in ocean of drool)

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, I asked this last week, but I wrote off the problem as a simple matter of not enough bones. I added some bones, and still have the problem, so let me ask this now:

I'm trying to replace Peach's Toad with a new model. No matter what I try to do, most of the model goes to the center of the stage no matter where Peach is on screen. I say "most" because, for some reason, the new model's left leg is right on target. It's always in front of Peach, it does its part of the animation perfectly, and then goes away like normal. At first, I thought this was a BoneIndex issue, having noticed the left leg had the same index as Toad's HaveN, but even after swapping around some indexes so the HaveN index was the parent of most of the other bones, I still get the exact same problem. I've tried renaming the bones to no avail.

Anyone have any idea what could be going wrong?

InTrepidCognito

Smash Ace
Just wondering, has anyone checked virtual console titles? I'm guessing few if any have them, but the thought of OoT beast form Ganon in Brawl makes me drool (drowns millions in ocean of drool)
MDL0 was created for Wii, so no. Hope the ones who are still alive are oka- *drowns*

Emeril127

Smash Cadet
I just found the bone adder that fortwaffles made and im so happy i can finally put my golem over JigglyPuff!!! Yeah!!

MaRRoK

Smash Journeyman
Radiant Dawn

CAUTION! LARGE POST BELOW!

having a hard time finding models in Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (most likely because I barely know what i'm doing. lol), but upon examnation in a hex editor, I have found animations. beyond that, I dont know. I figured id let the community take a look at it to see if they can find anything significant. Idk how to convert formats or anything.

heres all the kinds of files found:
.bin
.brstm (.sfx and brsar ect. u know the drill. its the same method as brawl)
.thp (movies. same as brawl)
.tpl
.cms (i think these are commands. these r everywhere and have names of other files)
.cmb
.cmp
.ga (animation data..i think)
.pak (? i think these are significant.!)
.s (?????)
.m (????????)

MORE INFO:
finding craploads of .cms files. im guessing they refer to another file because upon hexing, i find file names.

.cmb are the scripts of what the characters say. thats pretty cool.

lots of .bin files. i thought .bin ment it was just binary? am I wrong? im finding .bin files of all varieties.

game uses .thp . SAME AS BRAWL. ive sucessfully imported a movie to load instead of the opening movie. works perfectly.

.cmp apear to be stage effects and things involving cercumstances. example: dessert wind, swamp's fog, torch lighting for nighttime, clouds, fire, ect.

Sound uses .brsar. the SAME AS BRAWL. it also uses .brstm. ive already put a bunch of them into my game and they work flawlessly as they are. thats pretty sweet. same with SFX actuially havent tried those tho.

heres the part i really need someone to take a look into. its got .tpl files of all the characters. within them there is something leading to .cms and .cmp of the characters. in additon there is a _e version of the character in .cms
exaple:
Sothe.tpl
Sothe.cms
Sothe.cmp
Sothe_e.cms
the animations and sound effects are clearly labeled in a different part. the cms sometimes refers to the animation files (sometimes also in .cms, sometimes in .tpl . these might not even be animation files, I am just hypothecizing after all). Laguz characters have an extra one of these files. im assuming its because they have 2 forms.

special attack effects and magic effects are in .ga files which are clearly labeled.

all the weapons are in .cmp files and are labeled by name. (COULD be models. could be animations, could be reference point to position them to the character using them. ) i know for a fact that the weapons are loaded 100% sepreatly from the character. this would explain why theres some orcarina codes to change what weapons someone uses (ex: ike using bow and arrow. ect)

class changes are listed in .cmp files along with the names of skills. (eather, miracle, deadeye, howl ect.)

all the attack animations are labeled under .ga files along with a single .tpl file of the same name. this, im concluding, is the model of the part thats being moved by the .ga files of the attack animation in question. this would explain why some models have multipal folders with animations, and some have less. laguz and complex attacks have more, those without equipment like civilians have 1.
animations are like: advoid, damage, dead, pack, poise, tack

stage effects like animations for river's water are in .cmp

maps are listed by number of their appearance. there is a single .cmp file in each stage's folder, along with assorted .bin files.

and im finding model types in 4 kinds of files. hard to descibe. like weather its a dragon model or not. shmeh. heres an example:
crow <- file name
cr.pak (HEAR THAT!? .pak FILE!!!! IS THAT SIGNIFICANT IN ANY WAY!?!?!?!?)
crow.tpl
no.pak
pak.cmp

these are for all the diff kinds of laguz, all kinds of armor and mounts. oddly Volke has one all to himself (i guess i can see that, seeing as no1 else shares a model of the same kind with him)

i'm also finding .s and .m files that i cant make heads or tales of. o_0

IN CONCLUSION:
so what does this mean? it means that the model of the character is located in 1 of those file types (characters seem to have one of each. except .m and .s . those are just kinda there.) . i have searched as far as wii scrubber will take me and I am sure of that. so as im pouring over these files, what should I be looking for? (besides if it says .MDL0 obviously.) I'll be glad to send some of these files to someone if you want to take a look urself. PM me. by asking me for the files, you are agreeing that you have a legal copy of Radiant Dawn. (i dont wanna go to jail fool!)

:ike:

n64billy

Smash Ace
1) You both fail at pokehmahnz, Haunter is WAY better.....
2) Got Haunter to work! =D He's just hella shiny...
3) Pikaz, how did you fix his textures?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
the add bone program is kinda glitchy D:
popperant on samus: he disappearing
meowth on diddy kong: freeze
nintendogs on ice climber: disappering and slow and only nana shows up
drilblim, dusknoir, popperant and meowth over olimar (and possibly nintendogs): SUCCEED

(glitchy D:, think I did the mdl0 fix on him by mistakes lol xD)

SPIDERCAT!
they seems only on olimar they can be add on with models with extra bones D:
some bug?
1) You both fail at pokehmahnz, Haunter is WAY better.....
2) Got Haunter to work! =D He's just hella shiny...
3) Pikaz, how did you fix his textures?
1) the whole gastly family is awesome ;D
2) goodie 83
3) I have always followed the tutorial on OP D:
and I know the mdl0 fix program (mat and poly too) fixes the issue with textures ;3

n64billy

Smash Ace
1) the whole gastly family is awesome ;D
2) goodie 83
3) I have always followed the tutorial on OP D:
and I know the mdl0 fix program (mat and poly too) fixes the issue with textures ;3
Oh! I didn't mean the textures, I meant the shinyness of the materials and to fix the shading like you did for butter Dusknoir

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I wish people would stop hacking for a month. This stuff is hard to follow when your disk drive is broke. :p

n64billy

Smash Ace
I got Haunter to work over Gaycario! =D
Does anyone have suggestions for who to put him over besides Lucario? Otherwise I WILL put him over... (Don't care about MewTwo for now)

EDIT:
they seems only on olimar they can be add on with models with extra bones D:
some bug?
Lucario has 56 bones, Huanter had 26, so I made him have 56 but it still froze... for lulz I added an extra 20 on top of that and it worked.... try adding more useless bones.

n64billy

Smash Ace
I come bearing gifts! :3
"I'm in your Brawl, stealing your dreamz and licking your face"

I could not find the "non butter" dusknoir I used before so I did the mdl0 fix program on butter dusknoir and it worked ;3
Yea, same, just realised that :)

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479
I'm going to tell you a story:

Once upon a time a Pikachu who was going for a walk in Pokemon Stadium...

He was there enjoying his walk when suddenly...

"Who's that?", Pikachu asked himself. But them he could recognize the shape of that weird creature. It was...

Hmmmm... It's quite strange, because I had the texture problem the first time I imported Raichu's model (I replaced Final Destination). But this time, I hexed the MDL0 header and run the other 2 programs fortwaffles made. Oh! And clearly, it's over Pikachu :D

That crappy, CRAPPY animation made by me... :facepalm:

Top Bottom