• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

...Maybe it's time for a new director (plz no hate o.o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of good points as to why Sakurai should remain the director, but I won't give him that much praise, and some of his actions are questionable.

I don't know whether or not there was a time constraint, an issue with the development team or an outside influence from Nintendo (which is unlikely considering that Sakurai likes to dedicate his time to completing projects he personally finds interesting a la Subspace), but having a completed the previous game in the franchise with glaring oversights such as infinites, glitches , frame rate issues and distorted hit boxes does not abode well. Despite these things, the game in still very well done and fun, but neglecting an audience of players to achieve some sort of universal appreciation of the game is bogus, and to do these things for the sake of "pleasing all audiences" is redundant, especially since Smash 64 and SSBM did this without compromising the integral structure of the game (hypocritical?). And while he does indeed deserve praise for what he is doing for smash 4, we tend to turn a blind eye to the things that have happened because he is who he is.

With that being said, no, I don't want another director besides Sakurai. The way he breathes life into these characters in the Nintendo universe is amazing. He is a brilliant man, but the man is not above questioning, and I can see how some can dislike his design philosophies. Smash 4 is turning out great, but based on the issues of the previous installment in the franchise, anything that is amazing about smash 4 is essentially damage control.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Here's the problem, Gidy: You're just thinking about yourself (and the 'competitive scene').

Sakurai's thinking about everyone. Why is this a bad thing?

First, you say SSB's been going "downhill since Brawl". That in itself isn't even a thing. We've had no SSB games SINCE Brawl. So *one* game, and making assumptions based on people playing SSB4 for the first time is a downhill trend for the series. Really? That's your opening?

You know why he strips the games of mechanics? To make the game feel different. You notice how there are people who prefer each of the games? And will likely be people who prefer the new one over the previous 3? Not to mention how we actually have tournaments for all of them? Instead of Smash just being an 'update' with all the same stuff, Sakurai makes sure they all have their own flavor. Their own feel.

By the way, there's no Kirby Air Ride 2 because HAL hasn't made one, not Sakurai. Sakurai LEFT Nintendo (and HAL) after that game. He was specifically called back, by Iwata, to make Brawl. And why was that? Because he knew only Sakurai would do it justice, and nobody else in Nintendo.

And I don't mean 'justice' for competitive players, or even casual players. Sakurai brings something to Nintendo, and to SSB, that is what really *makes* Super Smash Bros. It's not just a party game, or a fighting game, but a celebration of Nintendo and its fans. The game is -for- Nintendo fans. That's why it has characters from all the major franchises, new franchises, and even old franchises only older gamers would know without the internet. And that's why Chronicle, Stickers, Trophies, Smash Run's enemies and Assist Trophies exist. That's why we have classic Mega Man, classic Pac-Man, moves, items & stages referencing obscure, older games. I'd be hard pressed to find a game more jam-packed than SSB. Look at Mario Kart 8, then look at the kind of stuff SSB4 will have, and we don't even know it all yet. Heck, look at Brawl compared to MK Wii.

And I can't even take you seriously when you say you want "someone who actually takes community feedback into consideration". Are you really that ignorant? Or just ungrateful? Or maybe not following the news for the game?

Why do you think we have For Glory? Or Final Destination versions of stages? Why do you think tripping was removed? How about the move to make the game feel in-between Melee & Brawl? Or the Gamecube controller adapter? Getting Bandai-Namco's Tekken guys to work on the game? Hiring more people to do balancing? Who do you think this was all for? How is that not taking community feedback into consideration? Because there's no wavedashing or some AT from Melee?

He may not be on the exact same page, and it's fine if you think he maybe missed the point with some of his decisions, but they were all *for* people like you. These modes, options, changes and lengths were taken and made for people who wanted them. And Nintendo was all about asking EVERYONE for feedback to make the game better during E3. All they're DOING is listening to fans on this one.

It's alright to think he's doing it wrong, but he's not being stubborn this time. He's making this game for Nintendo fans, and that's what it is supposed to be, and he's trying his hardest to please everyone and is definitely listening to criticisms.

It's fine that you wish Brawl or SSB4 were more competitive, but don't hide behind some veil like this is for everyone. Sakurai is blatantly working towards adding things for competitive players as well as casual players.

Sakurai will obviously one day stop making SSB, either due to his condition, or fatigue in making it, or simply not wanting to deal with the angst from people who don't appreciate what he does for them since he 'did it wrong'. And if he's replaced, I hope it is by someone with a similar mindset as him. Putting the heart of Nintendo/SSB first and foremost. Sakurai may not always be right, but neither are we, as gamers/players. I don't want a director that panders to one style of gameplay over the other. Whatever kind of people you have in mind as "SSB enthusiasts" are not the people that would "understand SSB more than Sakurai". In fact, the line of thinking you're presenting goes against its very core.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There are a lot of good points as to why Sakurai should remain the director, but I won't give him that much praise, and some of his actions are questionable.

I don't know whether or not there was a time constraint, an issue with the development team or an outside influence from Nintendo (which is unlikely considering that Sakurai likes to dedicate his time to completing projects he personally finds interesting a la Subspace), but having a completed the previous game in the franchise with glaring oversights such as infinites, glitches , frame rate issues and distorted hit boxes does not abode well. Despite these things, the game in still very well done and fun, but neglecting an audience of players to achieve some sort of universal appreciation of the game is bogus, and to do these things for the sake of "pleasing all audiences" is redundant, especially since Smash 64 and SSBM did this without compromising the integral structure of the game (hypocritical?). And while he does indeed deserve praise for what he is doing for smash 4, we tend to turn a blind eye to the things that have happened because he is who he is.

With that being said, no, I don't want another director besides Sakurai. The way he breathes life into these characters in the Nintendo universe is amazing. He is a brilliant man, but the man is not above questioning, and I can see how some can dislike his design philosophies. Smash 4 is turning out great, but based on the issues of the previous installment in the franchise, anything that is amazing about smash 4 is essentially damage control.
Anything that is amazing about Smash 4 is not essentially damage control, because we do not know how the game is going to stack up. In this scenario, neither party arguing is right.

I will not say Sakurai is above question in that he made Brawl suck with tripping.

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
My hope would be it's someone who finds new ways to reinvent the Smash series positively, both casually and competitively. No Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0, but something new. New wacky fun items. New competitive mechanics that enrich the gameplay. A balance between hazard filled crazy stages and "duke it out" stages. Someone who actaully takes community feedback in to consideration.
Everything you just said in this paragraph is exactly what Sakurai is doing with Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. There are so many new wacky fun items (Pilotwings Jetpack, Bombchu, Bullet Bill). There are new competitive mechanics that enrich the gameplay (New Edgegame, New Moves that change the style of classic characters) There is a balance of hazard filled crazy stages and "duke it out" stages (Compare Coliseum, Town & City, and Pilotwings with Mushroom Kingdom U, Wily Castle, and Skyloft). An entire suite of Final Destination stages with the look at feel of the other stages is exactly the kind of thing that takes community feedback into consideration, seeing that Final Destination is by far the single most played stage.

You're missing the forest for the trees. By your own description, Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS is exactly what you are looking for. You don't need a new director. Sakurai has been a fantastic caretaker for the series.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't care if someone else replaced Sakurai, I don't hate Sakurai by any means, I just am neutral towards changes. There's nothing that really makes me want to like Sakurai either though other than coming up with the brilliant idea of Smash.

Admittedly, I would prefer a director who doesn't troll as much, but I guess that's part of Sakurai's charm.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We actually do have several threads about if Sakurai was to leave as Director. There are even threads about his potential replacement. That being said, and judging from the varied responses, this thread is ripe for flame wars and trolling - something the staff here at Smashboards tries to nip at the bud before it begins. As well, competitive vs casual, brawl vs melee, brawl vs melee vs ssb4, pluto being a planet vs pluto not being a planet, and SSB Wii U vs SSB 3DS threads usually devolve into petty flaming and trolling of the OP. SSB64 just stands in the corner watching the world burn.

That being said, I will be closing this thread. Feel free to contact me for any further questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom