• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 31, 2015] Dragon's Den Wii U Smash Tournament 2 (Poughkeepsie, New York)

JoeR

Smash Cadet
WELCOME TO THE DEN!This tournament will be the Second Smash 4 tournament hosted by Dragon’s Den and will feature 1vs1 singles and an Amiibo tournament! The first one was great and a ton of fun, but we want MOOOOOORE! Bring your A-game and fight for glory, money and a new amiibo!

Whether you are looking to improve, join the competitive scene or just want to play, we’d be glad to have you! Plus, Dragon’s Den specializes in cards, comics and gaming, so just seeing the store is worth coming down! Mark your calendars Sunday May 31st, 1PM!

***Additional Setups are welcome and may entitle a discount on tournament entry. Please keep in mind the venue uses AV ports, not HDMI, so cables for a Wii would be best in addition to Game Cube adpaters for the Wii U. If you are able to bring an additional setup please send a message to ( charlesrobertsk051@gmail.com) and we will work something out.

Location:Dragons Den. Poughkeepsie Plaza, 2600 South Rd, Poughkeepsie, NY http://www.gamersgambit.com/

Venue Telephone: (845) 471-1401

Sunday, May 31st, 2015

Time: 1PM (Please arrive 30 minutes early to register)

Tournament Fee: 10$

Prizes: Cash prize to the top 3 places. prize will be 50 % of the buy ins from contestants. Amiibo tournament will also have a prize of an amiibo, possibly a Gold Mario if there are enough entrants!

General 1vs1 Rules:

• All matches are 2 stock with a 6 minute time limit
• Best of 3 games, Best of 5 games Final
• Double elimination
• Custom fighters are OFF, including Mii’s
• No items
• The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. This includes infinites, chain grabs, and reaching a position your opponent cannot reach. Spamming a move does not constitute stalling.
• Any action to prevent the game from continuing will result in a forfeit for the match.
• Accidental pausing in a match will result in a loss of one stock in game.
• If time runs out the winner it determined by stock and if not by stock then percentage.
• In the event of a percentage tie, there will be a one stock tie breaker match set to 3 minutes on the same stage.
• If a match ends by suicide, such as Bowsercide, the initiator wins the match.
• Coaching is not allowed
• Planking (keeping to an edge excessively) is not allowed.

Amiibo Tournament Rules

• All 1 vs 1 rules apply
• Amiibo may have power ups and custom moves
• No badges that start with items (all others are allowed)

Stage List

Starters

• Final Destination
• Battle Field
• Smashville

Counterpicks

• Castle Seige
• Delfino Plaza
• Duck Hunt
• Halberd
• Kongo Jungle 64
• Lylat Cruise
• Town and City
• Omega stages *Treated as Final Destination when banning.

Additional Rules

• Stage Striking: The player with port priority strikes one stage from the starter stage list. Then the other player strikes one stage and the remaining stage is used for the match.
• Stage Clause: You cannot counterpick a stage that has been previously won on or played on.
• Stage Bans: Before the second or third match the player that lost may ban 2 stages from the starter or counterpick stage list.

Tournament Organizer: Charles Roberts (charlesrobertsk051@gmail.com)

JoeR

Smash Cadet
The first event went really well and was a ton of fun! The bigger it gets, the better!

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
do you have the bracket from teh first event? I live about an hour away and would like to see if it is worth the time to go
[if it isn't on challonge] how many was the first turnout?

Last edited:

JoeR

Smash Cadet
The first turnout was only 11 people. We are trying to get an established base and expect this to grow through advertising here, word of mouth, on facebook and on the venue's website. Since you are an hour away I can not guarantee a huge turnout just yet, but we did have a ton of fun. Feel free to check back for the 3rd one next month if you decide not to come, but any new face is welcomed and we appreciate your consideration.
Also, we did not use challonge simply to avoid any electrical issues, but may in the future in addition to a paper bracket. We carried 3 setups for the first tourney.
We expect at least this number again as we have increased our time of advertisement and emailed past players. Feel free to ask any additional questions!

Last edited:

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
I'll be going to this. It'll be my first real tourney. On a side note, does gentleman's rule apply whatsoever?

Also, "If a match ends by suicide, such as Bowsercide, the initiator wins the match."

Bowsercide now kills Bowser first and the other player can technically recover if it's like villager or something. Maybe switch that to Ganoncide.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Yes gentleman's rules apply and all suicide moves count as victory for the initiator of the sucide move.

Example: If bowser suicides but dies first then by tournament rules he is still the winner. However in the case of a DDD or kirbicide if the opponent escapes and dies after the initiator then they will win. They must escape the mouth for this to occur, otherwise the suicider wins. Hope that helps!

JoeR

Smash Cadet
I'll be going to this. It'll be my first real tourney. On a side note, does gentleman's rule apply whatsoever?

Also, "If a match ends by suicide, such as Bowsercide, the initiator wins the match."

Bowsercide now kills Bowser first and the other player can technically recover if it's like villager or something. Maybe switch that to Ganoncide.
I see your point. As such bowsercide I still consider valid except in those extreme cases. In the event recovery is not possible a bowsercide would still win. That's my opinion however.

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
I see your point. As such bowsercide I still consider valid except in those extreme cases. In the event recovery is not possible a bowsercide would still win. That's my opinion however.
Oh, sorry, I worded that pretty oddly. I'm just stating that a bowsercide would be a bad example to put as people can still recover, while an actual suicide move would be like Ganoncide, where the initiator dies last. Play to win, that's just how it works. Whatever works to win is valid.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to come to this, hopefully I can bring around 3 or 4 people who also want to compete.

AztecFalcon

Smash Rookie
If you need an extra set up I can bring my own in the case. As well i'll be bringing 4 other people. We've been looking for something close to Brewster good to see something local :)

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Go ahead and bring a setup. Only downside is that space is limited so we will see how the Den can accomodate us. Hopefully with more people they will grant extra space.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
If you need an extra set up I can bring my own in the case. As well i'll be bringing 4 other people. We've been looking for something close to Brewster good to see something local :)
Just a heads up, if you do not bring a tv the den has some but they are box tv's. That means you can not connect with HDMI but wii cables.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
There isn't a spectator fee/venue fee, is there?
The venue fee is half of the entry fee. You pay $10 dollars and half goes to the venue and the other half goes to prize support.

There is no spectator fee as of now, but that can change for future tourneys

gcllr95

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4957-3550-1286
Can't make it to this one unfortunately gotta work but do you have an idea what date for the next one so I can plan ahead?

mmanu

Smash Rookie
Ton of fun. Unfortunate I had to leave early and not play LF. I'll definitely be trying to get to the next one. One question I guess - why did loser's semi's do best of 5?

Last edited:

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Next tentative date is June 21st, but nothing finalized yet. Glad you guys had fun. We will work to fix a couple issues for the next tourney. We might extend prizes out a bit, but we'll see. Best of 5 was supposed to be for the finals, but no harm no foul.

Look for the next posting in about a week I suppose.

Troyfullbuster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Troyfullbuster
if you need help making the bracket online I can help or do it for you if you ahve the tags since my bro gohan can use the points for the rankings

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Next time we can email you the results. We will be going with a computer based bracket next time around. Watch for the next tournament listing. Should be up very soon!

Last edited:
Top Bottom