• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 31, 2014] The Final Lordyfest (Grand Rapids, MI)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I am leaving Grand Rapids in July for Ann Arbor where I will be going to school for some 2 years. I will try to continue hosting in East Michigan, but I will not have the luxury of throwing house tournaments anymore. I will also be turning 21 the week before this. SO LET'S GET ****ING HYPE ONE LAST TIME FOR THE GREATEST HOUSE TOURNAMENT SERIES THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN.

Schedule:

12PM: Doors Open
2PM: Project Melee Doubles
5PM: Project Melee Singles
10PM: 3v3 Crews
12AM: Crews
2AM: DK Crews

Fees:

PM Singles $5
PM Doubles $10 per team
3v3 Crews $3 per team

Singles Stagelist:

Starters:

Bottom 7

Counterpicks (2 Bans):
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone

Doubles Stagelist:

Starters:

Botttom 7, replace Story with Island and Fountain with Distant Planet

Counterpicks (2 Bans):

Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dracula's Castle
Green Hill Zone

Last edited:

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
I've never gone to a tournament but this sounds like it could be fun and I live in the area, how many people usually go to these?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
House tournaments are great first-tournament experiences. It will be smaller than your average local (given that the venue is smaller, less people can physically show). Probably about 20 people - relaxed atmosphere that turns into insane hype at any given moment. I hope to see you!

fZk

Smash Lord
The words "final Lordyfest" make me sad.

Too bad the stagelist is garbage.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
There's nothing wrong with experimenting with stagelists. I am not running a conventional stage list (as confirmable in the Manor Smash tournament page). There is no "correct" stagelist.
Not sure what your point is or if you were replying to Juan's sarcasm. I will elaborate anyway.

This is different from standard stagelist. Both singles and doubles stagelists were created by myself *pats myself on the back*. If you notice, PS1, Skyworld, and Skyloft are banned and there are only two bans instead of three. Unfortunately, PM stage variety is mostly pretty bad and I was unable to make it as balanced as a I want. For example, there are too many flat stages with too few platforms. This hurts characters who are susceptible to chaingrabs. I try to make a stagelist that is fair instead of one that benefits my own character. Ideally, I would like to add a few other stages. Possibly more low ceiling and high ceiling (not necessarily a triangle stage). This would hopefully create a case where 3 bans would be adequate, but as it stands, fast fallers will have to play on either smashville or green hill.

PS1 is a bad stage. It is exactly PS2 with "hazards" that stall the game. Skyworld isn't bad, but it's another flat stage that hurts fastfallers. It's platforms are both asymmetric and extend outside the main platform. Skyloft is just horrible. I like the low ceiling but it's such a trashy stage. Way too lazy to type anything else. Stage list discussions are encouraged.

Edit: I think the doubles stage list is great and will talk about it if someone brings it up. See above lazy **** notice

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Not sure what your point is or if you were replying to Juan's sarcasm. I will elaborate anyway.

This is different from standard stagelist. Both singles and doubles stagelists were created by myself *pats myself on the back*. If you notice, PS1, Skyworld, and Skyloft are banned and there are only two bans instead of three. Unfortunately, PM stage variety is mostly pretty bad and I was unable to make it as balanced as a I want. For example, there are too many flat stages with too few platforms. This hurts characters who are susceptible to chaingrabs. I try to make a stagelist that is fair instead of one that benefits my own character. Ideally, I would like to add a few other stages. Possibly more low ceiling and high ceiling (not necessarily a triangle stage). This would hopefully create a case where 3 bans would be adequate, but as it stands, fast fallers will have to play on either smashville or green hill.

PS1 is a bad stage. It is exactly PS2 with "hazards" that stall the game. Skyworld isn't bad, but it's another flat stage that hurts fastfallers. It's platforms are both asymmetric and extend outside the main platform. Skyloft is just horrible. I like the low ceiling but it's such a trashy stage. Way too lazy to type anything else. Stage list discussions are encouraged.

Edit: I think the doubles stage list is great and will talk about it if someone brings it up. See above lazy **** notice
did you even click the hyper link it is a joke those are your words not mine

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I am aware of that. I just don't get what the joke is.

Unless it's yo stagelist.

OOOOOOOOOOO

/joke Hope to see you at this

Last edited:

whitmorethetoadpirate

Smash Apprentice

PS1 is amazing. The hazards give you such a nice relaxing break from all the fighting. :^D

sneakytako

Smash Lord
So I see you got a unique stagelist. Kudos for doing your own thing.

But I wanted to share some thoughts on the singles list.

1.) PS1 - Totally agree. This stage is redundant with PS2 and should totally be not legal.

2.) Skyloft - Kinda disagree - This stage is unique for being a long stage with a short ceiling, it can be a strong CP for people who have strong upwards kill moves (like fox). I don't hate you for banning this stage, the slants are pretty tricky and lame sometimes but I don't think this warrants a ban.

3.) Skyworld - Strongly disagree - Somebody from xanadu said this, but this stage is pretty much dreamland 2.0. With your current stagelist, you have 2 big stages (Dreamland and Lylat) and up to 4 small stages (Yoshi Story, Wario Ware, FoD, Green Hill Zone) with 2 bans, so your stagelist heavily favors people who like small stages like bowser/ganon/charizard/marth etc. Speaking of small stages...

4.) Wario Ware- Strongly disagree - This stage is total garbage, but other than that it ruins the balance of your stagelist as I explained above.

My suggestion is either to take out Wario ware and make it 1 ban, or add back Skyworld and keep it two bans.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

fZk

Smash Lord
My chances to come took a little dip but they're still at 80%, so I'll probably see you all there. HYPE.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
2.) Skyloft - Kinda disagree - This stage is unique for being a long stage with a short ceiling, it can be a strong CP for people who have strong upwards kill moves (like fox). I don't hate you for banning this stage, the slants are pretty tricky and lame sometimes but I don't think this warrants a ban.

3.) Skyworld - Strongly disagree - Somebody from xanadu said this, but this stage is pretty much dreamland 2.0. With your current stagelist, you have 2 big stages (Dreamland and Lylat) and up to 4 small stages (Yoshi Story, Wario Ware, FoD, Green Hill Zone) with 2 bans, so your stagelist heavily favors people who like small stages like bowser/ganon/charizard/marth etc. Speaking of small stages...

4.) Wario Ware- Strongly disagree - This stage is total garbage, but other than that it ruins the balance of your stagelist as I explained above.

My suggestion is either to take out Wario ware and make it 1 ban, or add back Skyworld and keep it two bans.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for commenting. I agree that Skyworld isn't a bad stage. The only reason it's banned is because there is already 3 CPs against fast fallers. Since you can only ban 2, you are already guaranteed a strong CP against fastfallers. Adding a 4th one didn't sound good. I was talking with Trail and he thinks the flat stages are fine since PM forces you to learn new characters anyway. I still don't like the idea. This is also why Dracula's isn't legal. Which is sad because I do like that stage.

I like your point on small stages as well. I feel it is more of a problem with a lack of "good" big stages then having "bad" small stages.

I am on the fence about Skyloft (Metal Cavern isn't horrible either). I just really dislike the uneven terrain. Yoshis + Lylat are enough.

End comment before I come back home and edit this. It would be ideal for my logic to add one or two more stages (medium/big) (one high ceiling/one low) and then have 3 bans. It depends on how people feel about having to play on open stages and getting CG'd.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Thanks for commenting. I agree that Skyworld isn't a bad stage. The only reason it's banned is because there is already 3 CPs against fast fallers. Since you can only ban 2, you are already guaranteed a strong CP against fastfallers. Adding a 4th one didn't sound good. I was talking with Trail and he thinks the flat stages are fine since PM forces you to learn new characters anyway. I still don't like the idea. This is also why Dracula's isn't legal. Which is sad because I do like that stage.

I like your point on small stages as well. I feel it is more of a problem with a lack of "good" big stages then having "bad" small stages.

I am on the fence about Skyloft (Metal Cavern isn't horrible either). I just really dislike the uneven terrain. Yoshis + Lylat are enough.

End comment before I come back home and edit this. It would be ideal for my logic to add one or two more stages (medium/big) (one high ceiling/one low) and then have 3 bans. It depends on how people feel about having to play on open stages and getting CG'd.
Not quite sure what you mean when you say you have 3 CPs already against fast fallers.

Like take for example fox. He is indeed a fast faller and stages with high ceilings are pretty good CPs against him, like lylat and dreamland. But this is due to his ability to kill upwards very well with upsmash and upair, as opposed to his difficulty of being killed upwards.

In contrast, diddy is also a fast faller. But his primary kill moves are generally to the side blast zones, like fair and fsmash, so he is not hurt very much by picking to dreamland or lylat. In fact, lylat is a great stage for diddy because it gives him the space to setup bananas, and dreamland can be a great CP against people who relying in killing upwards, like charizard or lucas.

The problem I have with dracs is how high the platforms are. It seems like it would be very possible for a small aerial character to camp the top platforms and time people out on the stage (Brawl player logic lol).

Overall, I don't think your stagelist is that bad, I just feel there's an imbalance of small to big stages.

Last edited:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
FD, SV, Greenhill. Great stages for chaingrabs because of the lack of platforms.

Castle and Skyworld are in the same boat.

I was in the process of leaving work so I didn't want to type much... same scenario now lol

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I mean, how is skyworld any better for CGs than dreamland or even BF? It's got the same 3 platform setup, except the top platform is higher and the side platforms go past the stage length.

Last edited:

Napkin

Smash Cadet
Higher platform makes it harder to DI up, platforms farther to the side give more room before they DI off or onto a platform... It's pretty evident.

whitmorethetoadpirate

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****, 5 PM for singles? I hope you just force everyone to play their ****in matches. Are you doing pools or straight bracket? I would understand if you just do immediate double elim. bracket since you don't have a ton of room, but pools are always nice.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Doubles:
1st: Conductors of the Hype Train (Solharath + Lordy)
2nd: Anther + Misa
3rd: Benji + L_Cancel

Singles:
1st: Anther(from Losers)
2nd: Solharath
3rd: Benji
4th: Lordy

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
is there somewhere where we can see the rest of the tournament placings? I think i tied for 7th but not sure haha. Anyway, this was an amazing tournament and just an amazing night in general lol. Shwiks and shots for days.

Top Bottom