• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Dedede

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
If she has a lead, could she space away and instead of outcamping with din's, simply do nothing and/or reflect and refresh her moveset until he comes to her directly? Waddle dees are really easy to reflect and attack to refresh imo than any other projectile in the game.

Does reflecting count as move refreshment also? (if the crystals don't connect but the projectile is still reflected)

sniperworm

Smash Ace
If she has a lead, could she space away and instead of outcamping with din's, simply do nothing and/or reflect and refresh her moveset until he comes to her directly? Waddle dees are really easy to reflect and attack to refresh imo than any other projectile in the game.
If you're winning, you can do whatever you prefer. Doing nothing isn't particularly productive, but eventually he'll have to approach you. However, assuming I'm not in death range of a gordo, I personally would be camping with Din's.

Also, I'm almost 100% certain that waddles can't be reflected (but you can easily stop them with jabs or whatever).

Does reflecting count as move refreshment also? (if the crystals don't connect but the projectile is still reflected)
Reflecting projectiles doesn't refresh moves as far as I know (but I'm not expert on this). If your opponent gets hit by the reflected projectile, I think their projectile gets staled.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I actually meant dtilting and jabbing them away. They go through nayru's. Except gordos, they can be reflected.

I find Dtilting as he throws them at me is really easy, and jabbing them if he ever decides to throw one whilst in the air is also fairly solid. Try it sometime =D It's like automatic move refreshment! 2 things will happen:

a) she ducks under the thrown waddle dee/doo
b) she kicks them and they get hit by the spike hitbox and fall to the ground

If you time it right you will never ever get hit by them at all when thrown at you no matter what his spacing =D Jabbing is also really good!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
nuh uh! As sniperworm said they're easily stoppable with jabs also.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I only dtilt them if he's at high percents where dtilt launches. Jab is as good.

So what about stages?

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Because DDD can't exploit her recovery well at all thanks to Din's > Waddles, when against each other.

Don't laugh too hard, because being outcamped by someone like Zelda is nothing to laugh about.
Zelda outcamping anyone is laughable. She has by far one of the worst, if not the worst projectile in the game, if you dont count pk flash/freeze.

Bottom Line: I have never been outcamped by Dins.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Get to higher ground than DDD or go far away from DDD and throw Din's.

What do you do? You approach, but she's safe for the most part because your projectile may not be able to reach and you run slow.

What just happened? Zelda forced you to approach and she can do it again and again.

The really laughable thing is that she can't do this effectively to anyone else not named Ganon.

1:10 sums this up, except he might throw a Gordo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPdhOrmHMg

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Getting Gordo'd while attempting to Din's camp is no laughing matter. :mad: That mess isn't fair.

(You'll usually have enough time to stop Din's & shield, though. Usually.)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Getting Gordo'd while attempting to Din's camp is no laughing matter. :mad: That mess isn't fair.

(You'll usually have enough time to stop Din's & shield, though. Usually.)
i know. it's so freaking stupid. and it's not like it doesn't happen either since, if he's approaching while throwing waddle-dees, he MIGHT just be close enough to nail you with a gordo before you can do anything.... or maybe you can get out a sheild or nayru's in time.

Still. it's nice to have a matchup where din's WORKS.

I wonder what her matchups would look like if it always worked as well....

But stubborn DDDs who don't think they are going to have to approach are nice to fight because they'll just eat Din's damage.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
So just very quickly...

You all see DDD across the stage... what goes through your minds in beating him? What would you bait, look out for etc and what moves would you react with?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Din's him from very far away to avoid a Gordo, the goal being getting him to get close. Then when he's close, watch what he does. A lot of them ftilt, which Zelda can punish on a powershield, so really, unless it's a friendly and I'm trying to have some fun, if I really want to win, I just bait the ftilt because it's one of their favorite spacing moves. The rest of the match is pretty straightforward.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm going to say.... 55:45. I could see 60:40 too, but I think it's slightly more even than that.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
57.3 : 42.6 Zelda's Advantage

(there's a 0.1% chance Waddle Dee will win the match)

MrEh

Smash Hero
This matchup is 45-55.

Dedede only loses when he has no idea how to fight Zelda, and that's what a lot of your are basing this matchup on. If Dedede knows what to do, he becomes difficult.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dedede only loses when he has no idea how to fight Zelda, and that's what a lot of your are basing this matchup on. If Dedede knows what to do, he becomes difficult.
what?

Sheildgrab and Bair. Show me a DDD that doesn't already know how to do that?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I posted this back in November but it still stands as my argument on the matchup at this point.

Why is it that you come on every character board, go into their matchup discussion, and tell them what their character can and can't do? Who the **** do you play? 65:35? I seriously wonder if you say stupid s*** just to start arguments.

No s*** ftilt outranges everything Zelda has, hell you can say that about almost any character. "ftilt outranges all of her attacks and once he gets close he grabs you"..........wow thanks for letting us know, I would have never guessed that.

See the thing is, getting into that range is hard for DDD. Sliding usmash beats all of his approaches. The only thing he could technically beat it with would be SH dair, but that's asking for pain if he misses. Lightning kicks trade with his bair and that's not something you want to be doing.

In case you didn't know, ftilt has some cooldown time. Couple that with the fact that Zelda has one of the best spotdodges in the game, ftilt isn't too viable for what you describe as "camping. One whiffed ftilt and Zelda punishes the fatass penguin HARD. In the form of a lightning kick or usmash. I doubt DDD players are going to sit there and risk being punished off a whiffed ftilt.

I don't need to camp with Dins, I merely need to force the approach and I do that. When he approaches, I have more options than him since I beat anything he can do to me in that situation. If you look at the Zelda boards you'll see I don't even think Dins is good, but in this matchup it is.

Zelda does fantastic against grab based characters, and DDD is no different. While DDD is significantly harder than the Ice Climbers for her, she still takes a lot of his stuff out the window. He can't chainthrow her, and with her spacing capabilities and priority it's hard for him to land grabs in the first place. "To make an attack effective you have to land it first and that's where Zelda fails against D3", just a great argument you made there.......see how I made the exact same one?

Believe it or not but in this game, some middle tier characters have fantastic matchups against the better characters. Most of the people in the country agree that Peach counters DDD because she takes a lot of his usual methods and renders them useless. In fact, Azen uses her as his personal DDD counterpick. Zelda does the same as Peach: beats him in the air, stays away from most of his grab game, ***** his recovery, combos the s*** out of him, and forces approaches.

I know your trying to come off with this elitist, cynical vibe........but at least know what your talking about when you come on other character boards' matchup discussions.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I posted this back in November but it still stands as my argument on the matchup at this point.
Good thing this was posted months ago. If you posted this information now, I would laugh because it's filled with so many problems.

See the thing is, getting into that range is hard for DDD. Sliding usmash beats all of his approaches.
Sliding Usmash is a terrible defense for Zelda. It's beaten by Dedede's best approach option. Do you know what that is? It's called a shield.

Lightning kicks trade with his bair and that's not something you want to be doing.
They can trade with his Bair. But that's inhumanly hard to do. Dedede's Bair comes out stupid fast and has stupid range. 9 times out of 10, his Bair will win.

couple that with the fact that Zelda has one of the best spotdodges in the game,
Wrong. Zelda's spotdodge is average.

He can't chainthrow her, and with her spacing capabilities and priority it's hard for him to land grabs in the first place.
It's easy for Dedede to land grabs on anyone that's not called Wario, Jiggs, or MK. If Dedede can grab Marth easily, then Zelda is even easier. And Marth is all spacing.

Zelda does the same as Peach: beats him in the air, stays away from most of his grab game, ***** his recovery, combos the s*** out of him, and forces approaches
Zelda doesn't beat Dedede in air. Dedede's Bair>Zelda. Dedede can still get the grab easily, and Dedede ***** Zelda's recovery harder then she ***** his.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Of course i'm not going to usmash randomly against a shield grab approach.........Zelda's grab range is fantastic so if I need to I can mix up my defensive measures like any competent player will.

Zelda's bair is faster than DDD's.

Ignore the spotdodge comment.

Zelda still stands as one of the harder characters to grab in Brawl.

Zelda's bair is faster than DDD's and it can trade with his......plus her usmash beats everything so it matters little.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda doesn't beat Dedede in air. Dedede's Bair>Zelda. Dedede can still get the grab easily, and Dedede ***** Zelda's recovery harder then she ***** his.
no.

when DDD has to UP+B.... he's eating something. And if it doesn't kill him, we'll just hit him again as he has to recover and repeat the process until he dies.

DDD is the SLOWEST character in the air. he cannot edgeguard Zelda without commiting himself. And if he can't get the gimp, he's stuck recovering as zelda teleports past him and suddenly has an INCREDIBLY advantageous position.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda's grab range is fantastic so if I need to I can mix up my defensive measures like any competent player will..
Of course her grab is long ranged. Too bad it's one of the worst grabs in the game.

Zelda's bair is faster than DDD's.
So what? Dedede's Bair has more range and stays out longer. If you try to beat it with your aerials head on, then you're crazy.

Ignore the spotdodge comment.
Glad to hear it.

Zelda still stands as one of the harder characters to grab in Brawl.
She's slow and she lags. She's easy to grab.

Zelda's bair is faster than DDD's and it can trade with his......
It does not trade consistantly. If you want to try and trade hits, then go ahead. Have fun getting hit with 10 of Dedede's Bairs, while you only hit him with one of yours.

plus her usmash beats everything so it matters little
Shield lol.

when DDD has to UP+B.... he's eating something. And if it doesn't kill him, we'll just hit him again as he has to recover and repeat the process until he dies.
Dedede isn't defenseless. Good Dedede players are competent enough to cancel their UpB and grab the ledge. By your argument, Dedede could continue to Bair Zelda until she dies.

If Zelda has to use her upB, she's eating something. ^^

And if he can't get the gimp, he's stuck recovering as zelda teleports past him and suddenly has an INCREDIBLY advantageous position.
And if Zelda teleports past him, what then? He can still make it back.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No. She's slow and she lags no matter what's going on. Approaching or defending.

If you're defending, what are you doing? Chances are, you're throwing out smashes. And surprise! Smashes lag.
try to grab a defensive zelda. See how often you succede compared to vs. other characters.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
She's slow and she lags. She's easy to grab.
Sigh, once again your basing your opinion off of watching Sniperworm and DM play Zelda.

Jab and dtilt are fantastic defensive options with almost no cooldown time. Smashes are all you seem to view Zelda as and you're completely wrong.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sigh, once again your basing your opinion off of watching Sniperworm and DM play Zelda.

Jab and dtilt are fantastic defensive options with almost no cooldown time. Smashes are all you seem to view Zelda as and you're completely wrong.
Even with smashes, her Fsmash has relatively low cooldown time considering its range.

it's no Lucario Fsmash, but it's hard to punish with a grab if whiffed.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Yeah, Fsmash probably won't be punished by a grab. But the problem is that if you're stuck Fsmashing all the time, it's easy to bait.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Yeah, Fsmash probably won't be punished by a grab. But the problem is that if you're stuck Fsmashing all the time, it's easy to bait.
And DDD's baiting game is..... wait... that's not part of his standard "Sheildgrab or bair" strategy.

Zelda is just plain not as vulnerable to DDD's game. He's not a very deep character, and that's coming from a zelda main irrespective of sheik.

the only reason it's not a **** matchup in our favour is because DDDs parameters are so much better than Zelda's

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Neither is Zelda.

Dedede is good because even though you know what he's going to do, there's not a darn thing you can do about it.
except Zelda can by forcing him to approach and verily thrashing him with Usmash if he tries to approach from above.

Top Bottom