• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Robin

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4robinm::4robinf:
  • No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]

***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

(Sorry been busy the past few days, will try to bring this back to a weekly schedule)

Nah

Smash Champion
Nothing yet? I guess I could throw in my 2 cents.

I would put it in Mewtwo's favor to some degree. Having one of the very few projectiles that Thoron cannot beat is something most projectile users cry themselves to sleep at night about, and Shadow Ball puts some pressure on Robin when you have a fully charged one on hand. Especially in tandem with a reflector (inb4 "but reflectors can be baited"). Its good recovery and landing ability also make it hard for Robin to keep advantage going via traps. On the other hand, Mewtwo is (likely) very susceptible to Dthrow stuff (as well as other strings) and--at the risk of triggering Chainz and probably every Mewtwo player here lol--can die early due to its weight (Levin Sword strikes are pretty powerful). It's just harder for Robin to make use of her strengths in this MU than Mewtwo since Mewtwo has the better mobility and frame data (plus being able to deal with her projectile game fairly well like I said before), allowing it to control the pace of the match more than Robin can.

Dollabills

Smash Rookie
NNID
indycosgrove
Nothing yet? I guess I could throw in my 2 cents.

I would put it in Mewtwo's favor to some degree. Having one of the very few projectiles that Thoron cannot beat is something most projectile users cry themselves to sleep at night about, and Shadow Ball puts some pressure on Robin when you have a fully charged one on hand. Especially in tandem with a reflector (inb4 "but reflectors can be baited"). Its good recovery and landing ability also make it hard for Robin to keep advantage going via traps. On the other hand, Mewtwo is (likely) very susceptible to Dthrow stuff (as well as other strings) and--at the risk of triggering Chainz and probably every Mewtwo player here lol--can die early due to its weight (Levin Sword strikes are pretty powerful). It's just harder for Robin to make use of her strengths in this MU than Mewtwo since Mewtwo has the better mobility and frame data (plus being able to deal with her projectile game fairly well like I said before), allowing it to control the pace of the match more than Robin can.
Adding on to this a little bit, the frame data of fair alone makes this MU a little on the tough side for Robin. Fair is a super important tool for both characters, and the fact that Mewtwo's comes out so much faster makes it tough to get in close. That said, Mewtwo dies to checkmate at just 83%, so when you look at all the advantages these characters have over each other, it really seems pretty even. Robin's disadvantage being bad along with the mobility differences of these characters means that even if Robin is getting beat up most of the game; Mewtwo can still die early, making this matchup pretty even in my opinion. I would favor it for Mewtwo slightly though because Mewtwo has tools that counter Robin's really well if they're used right.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Adding on to this a little bit, the frame data of fair alone makes this MU a little on the tough side for Robin. Fair is a super important tool for both characters, and the fact that Mewtwo's comes out so much faster makes it tough to get in close. That said, Mewtwo dies to checkmate at just 83%, so when you look at all the advantages these characters have over each other, it really seems pretty even. Robin's disadvantage being bad along with the mobility differences of these characters means that even if Robin is getting beat up most of the game; Mewtwo can still die early, making this matchup pretty even in my opinion. I would favor it for Mewtwo slightly though because Mewtwo has tools that counter Robin's really well if they're used right.
Mewtwo dies to ding dong at 65%, and from true shoryu at the same percent. He wins both those, it's no different here.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Well s/he said m2 wins slightly.

Much like those other MUs, you have to be smart when a grab can kill you. Be careful with approaches at all during this window, a dash-in powershield is gonna destroy you for a predictable fair. However, Robin can't really do anything like this to a retreating fair.

Her confirms are also very high damaging. If you get hit with arcfire or arcthunder against a competent robin, you are halfway to death percent already. Returning to neutral can be scary after this.

But fair/dtilt/nair/shadowBall/confusion dominate the neutral. Youve gotta mix up pretty well, if you get predicted any of these options can be death. But id say m2 wins pretty handily, especially if you camp with shadow ball.

Be aware that Arcfire will fly away uselessly when reflected. If you reflect an arcthunder and it hits, prepare to go in hard.

Robin is quite vulnerable offstage. Fair and dair hurt her bad, and dropzone bair gets her easily if she recovers low.

Dont get airdodge bair'd offstage and die at 30. same with arcfire jump dair.

And dont try and follow her to the ceiling and get uair'd at 40.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
^this. I learned (and am still learning) this one the super hard way.

Top Bottom