• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #20! Kirby

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Kirby's Advantages:
Faster tilts
Better grabs (though slightly less grab range I believe)
Good pressure game
Multiple jumps
Decent recovery
Good options from everywhere.
Good finishers

Kirby's disadvantages:
Lightweight
Easy to edgeguard
Outranged
few disjointed hitboxes

Marth's Advantages:
Range on the ground
Range in the air
disjoined hitboxes
Ability to edgeguard
Speed on air and in ground.
More stage bias

Marth's disadvantages:
gimpable (seriously, please don't underestimate Dair and Bair while you're off stage.)
lack of safe kill moves
hard to connect utilt and nair as finishers
Slower tilts

It's thought that Kirby really can't penetrate double fairs and dtilts well, and for the most part this is true, but don't underestimate the sheer speed of a RD into your zoning followed by Kirby's utilt. Kirby isn't really slow, and does have a noticeable advantage while you're off the ground. Between that ftilt, which can be angled and has amazing reach, the utilt, the Dash, and the Fsmash, Kirby doesn't exactly have a hell day trying to hit Marth once inside his reach. Kirby's Fsmash is full of **** sauce, and while being awesomely powerful, it comes out fast and lingers for a while, making the dodge timing very awkward. As previously mentioned Kirby's Dash attack can really screw with getting into Marth's zone, and lasts moderately long, doing good reduction to your shield, and owning you if you attempt a spot dodge.

But, of course, this doesn't really stop the ****. 7-:30 Marth IMO.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Like Dr. PeePee said. A smart Kirby doesn't have anywhere near the troubles fighting Marth as most of you Marth players seems to think.

Kirby's f-tilt comes out extremely fast and has a lot of range. Dash attack and bair are both good approaches. Vulcan jabs is probably Kirby's rangiest move and comes out instantly. Spot dodge to vulcan jabs is too fast to be punished and it also pushes Marth out of his sword range. Kirby also has better throws and edgeguarding. Kirby's forward smash is a far better and more reliable kill move than anything Marth has.

Marth might have a small advantage but it is nowhere near 70-30 in my opinion.

I main Kirby but I play a lot of Marth too.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
WTF GREATEST COSPLAYER I'VE EVER SEEN.

I never thought I'd ever see an extremely hot Haruhi cosplayer...until now :p

Oh...and uh...Kirby...and stuff.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Kirby has a far better spotdodge/dodgeroll than marth. He also has low start up time on his attacks(like jab). Those are his only chance aside from his ability to kill you ridiculously low.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
Yea dude why not?

I think its a great Idea. Plus it'd be massive loads of fun. :)

Just think smash with some of the best marths there are, travel across the world, all the japanese women your eyes can handle, plus if you bring extra spending money great clothes, gifts, unreleased games the whole nine yards

It'd be awesome and also very organized.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
no doubt it'd be a lot of fun.

i've been busy as hell lately though. i dunno we can talk about it.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Eh, unrealistic for me to go, and if I did...

why should I ever go back to America? xD Now women I have hawts for could be a block away instead of 13246513 miles away plus a Wal-Mart, turn left to Kore an market and go scout for womenz gogogo. <_<

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Eh, unrealistic for me to go, and if I did...

why should I ever go back to America? xD Now women I have hawts for could be a block away instead of 13246513 miles away plus a Wal-Mart, turn left to Kore an market and go scout for womenz gogogo. <_<
Wait... Japan?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
My first analysis right here.

Kirby - Kirby has been buffed quite a bit. That said nothing much has changed in terms of the match-up itself. You can still zone him, outrange him and outprioritize him. He is light so he dies early of course. He has some good kill moves though especially his hammer and his f-smash so be careful and watch your spacing as always. He has great recvoery so gimping is is difficult, but not impossible once he is at higher percents. Then a tipper bair, fair, or nair should do it. He can edgeguard you much the same way that Jiggs does. With repeated bairs and fairs, so remember try to counter, airdodge or fair, then recover. This is pretty much your fight. Just watch out for his good kill moves and concentrate on zoning. Force him to get past your sword. He may start using Final Cutter though as a way to deal with Marth's zoning. You can hit him as he comes down but it's easier just to counter it when you are close. If you are far just shield or perfectshield the energy wave then approach and set up your zoning.
This is a straight forward match-up honestly.

Top Bottom