• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Current discussion is Mario?

Well my personal opinion is that Mario's 8 worst matchups are:

Falco, Fox, Samus, Peach, Ganon, Marth, Sheik, Jigglypuff

In order of worst to not quite as worse.

I really think that a well-played Falco is the single most demoralizing matchup for Mario, under the assumption he does not screw up a pillar attempt. Falco outranges Mario, outcamps him, and can approach him very easily, and realistically, there isn't anything that Mario can do until Falco makes a mistake. Falco scoring the kill is a simple matter of edgeguarding with B-airs/comboing into them, or Jab -> F-smash.

Fox overall doesn't quite as badly shut down Mario's ability to move around, but his ability to gimp Mario and kill him early and the difficulty of edgeguarding him consistently make the matchup very uphill. Compared to Falco, it's more mobility in exchange for getting destroyed more quickly when he breaks your defenses.

Samus is a very obnoxious matchup since she is very difficult to combo, never dies, never gets gimped, outcamps Mario, and outranges him. She pretty much beats him at everything in this matchup played carefully. Her CC game is reeeeealy obnoxious as well.

vs Peach is pretty much the same as vs Samus, except you don't get camped quite as badly and F-smash is more useful in this matchup. Otherwise it's still a terrible matchup lol.

Vs Ganon, well, if you want to be an ***, you can camp and make him approach. Oh yeah and the combos on him are pretty good. The advantages end there since like Samus, he outranges Mario, never dies, and really isn't very easy to gimp most of the time. Oh yeah and his F-air walls the hell out of Mario and kills him easily, and he has a pretty easy time gimping Mario as well.

Vs Marth is sorta like vs Ganon actually, except Marth will take a lot longer to kill Mario provided you have sick DI. He gets comboed a bit less, but in exchange he is much easier to edgeguard and more susceptible to crouching shenanigans. Still a dumb matchup regardless.

Sheik...can do a lot of what Mario can except better. Except she isn't a particularly strong character at approaching. Given that her approach isn't exactly stellar, she doesn't exactly run over Mario like some other characters do. She's not too hard to combo and edgeguard for the most part, although she has pretty nasty gimps on Mario as well.

Vs Jigglypuff is boring, but can be managed as long as Mario doesn't fall for a U-tilt Rest combo or something like that. It's pretty much a spacing war, which Jiggs of course has more options for. Even though she isn't easy to combo, she's light enough that it can be compromised.

Those are pretty much the main matchups that are obvious disadvantages (6/4 or worse). I don't see Mario as having any other matchups that are *obvious* disadvantages otherwise.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Wow, I stand corrected. I disagree with it but if Hugs says Shiek > Samus then I won't go against it.

Edit: I noticed that hugs didn't list any matches as >> or << I think that he may have just been using ''>'' and ''<'' as catch all terms for Samus wins and Samus loses respectively in these match ups.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
wow, i stand corrected. I disagree with it but if hugs says shiek > samus then i won't go against it.

Edit: I noticed that hugs didn't list any matches as >> or << i think that he may have just been using ''>'' and ''<'' as catch all terms for samus wins and samus loses respectively in these match ups.
i've already made posts defending the more controversial match ups (fox/falco vs samus) which i feel are:
Samus > falco
samus = fox

my other opinions are as follows:

marth >> samus
sheik > samus
peach = samus
falcon = samus
jiggly > samus
samus > ic
samus > doc
samus > luigi
samus < link
samus < dk
samus < ganon
samus > pikachu
samus > mario

i will only do a big write up on falcon/peach if it is considered too much of an odd opinion and someone tries to tell me otherwise. In other words, i need someone to say why falcon/peach ***** samus so that i may correct them from my perspective.

I will not comment on other matches because the consensus is as i put it, or i do not know enough about the match up to say why i feel this way.

I could touch on sheik marth too i guess. Let me know.
I think we can assume that HugS understands the system this chart uses.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
no lol im just surprised you're so passive about it being only ">" when i know deep down yu think every matchup is like impossible for the other char

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It doesn't really affect me and it takes too much effort to make a point here so I don't care. Strategy tends to be more important than the actual 6-4 or >> or whatever gets assigned to the matchup anyway, or at least for me it is.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
There is nothing to clean, I just remembered/read incorrectly. It's embarrassing but I'll live.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Naw, it's cause you're dumb.

And don't worry, you've made it clear that at a tournament 8-9 months ago my Zelda got 2-0'd by Bloshi when it was made clear that I couldn't make it out of the bracket.

N64

Smash Champion
I know y'alls pride is hurt and everything, but think how poor mario feels with no one talking about him in his week of discussion. Plumber's gotta find a drain pipe to wash down all those tears.

Lets have some mario matchup discussion.

john!

Smash Hero
i don't play mario, but why are there players named green mario and brown mario? why doesn't any other character inspire such devotion to certain colors? there's also a player named the cape. is it possible that mario mains are the least creative namers of them all? or maybe they're lazy and just picked the first character they saw on the selection screen?

discuss

N64

Smash Champion
I can live with that. Any explanation of anything involving a loss is considered a john, so I'll accept that.
I know y'alls pride is hurt and everything, but think how poor mario feels with no one talking about him in his week of discussion. Plumber's gotta find a drain pipe to wash down all those tears.

Lets have some mario matchup discussion.
Save your qqs for people who care, or take it to pms. Mario mario mario.

Mario >> pika seems fine to me. Gave my case for it earlier. Chainthrow->reliable finishers, good cc->punish game, good aerial interception game (uair combos mostly), ftilt and utilt are solid, and dsmash/fsmash hit at the range pika's generally need to be to do anything on the ground.

giuocob

Smash Journeyman
i don't play mario, but why are there players named green mario and brown mario? why doesn't any other character inspire such devotion to certain colors? there's also a player named the cape. is it possible that mario mains are the least creative namers of them all? or maybe they're lazy and just picked the first character they saw on the selection screen?

discuss
At least it's more creative than going to the produce section of your grocery store, picking up a fruit, and saying, "Here's my Smash name."

john!

Smash Hero
lol the term "john" has lost its meaning and is basically a joke nowadays because you can apply it to anything you want. which is why i feel no need to change my name. :p

oh and believe me giuo, i'm not one to criticize others for having an unoriginal tag. i'm just saying that i think it's funny.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
none of you are funny.

Besides KK.

and ima **** him cuz i play ice climbers.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Not in a million years!
Kage.

Look.

Ur ole man? Cant touch these yung climbers.
OldManandorf is gonna be like "GRR get outa my yarddd pesky kids!" and imma be like "giggle giggle you cant get me you cant get me" as I throw snowballs at your wheelchair filled, fixed-income life.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Mario = Zelda

Mario < Link?
Mario < DK?

Incase you folks forgot who Mario is, see below.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I think discussion should have stopped after Doctor Mario. From now, the matchups have next to no relevance in tournament and the vast majority of people commenting on them wont know enough about them.

Unless you're pure awesome like HDL, Taj and Axe, you're not gonna get anywhere and if you do that's only because you yourself are pure awesome.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
IC-you didnt change it to M2>DK

@TML-Link is aight, but pretty much trash up until then.

IC-Just put them all the same as doc and have dogy tell you the difference. The best marios dont even care about mario. He is just avg.

Edit: Its hard to ignore a post that just says ignore. Some many questions arise lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom