• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mastery of the Arts - Greninja Matchup Thread Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
Yeah I just fought one that poked my sheild with jab. I tried to roll and got punished with another jab before I could. Lost cause I didnt know how to approach her. She just ran from me with life lead. Dunno why i was too chicken to even hydro pump her while she jumped away from me.

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
Peach can pressure shields even better now and Dair -> Dair-> Falling Nair does even more pressure and is a lot safer on shield.
Shouldn't that be a concern for us? and i think Kirbys Dair is complete safe on shield for him

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Peach and Kirby are both very easy to run away from, camp out and/or fight at midrange because both have relatively poor mobility.

We shouldn't be getting caught in shield enough against either for their pressure to be truly problematic.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Most people who used Jigglypuff against me have told me that the MU was like really bad for her. I even had one guy SD his last stock and say to me that choosing Jiggs was a mistake.

I'm going from my experience and what others have told me, I do think Greninja has a good advantage in this MU.
Know this is a slightly older comment but I want to reply anyway, beware the wall of text.

Frankly, our mu thread is very flawed and has been in need of a rework for a long time. The only player there that really knows what he's doing is Reflex, and he's just there because he's the resident mod. Don't take the word of a Puff player on how an mu stands unless they've actually had some success in tourney (expection to this is a guy named RDR7... don't think he actually goes to tourneys other than maybe locals, but the other high-level puffs will most certainly vouch for him). Myself included on this one- part of why I've started to make my points reactionarily in the discussions there, and not put up an mu rating except to challenge another's I find too extreme.

It doesn't help that Puff's matchup spread at higher play is a lot different from what low or mid-level players tend to think. Those same puff players I mentioned pretty much agreed unanimously that we beat Rosalina, yet if you check her mu thread and ours it's listed as very dominantly in her favor. Been meaning to ask about that, actually, but haven't gotten around to it... At the same time, we have the opposite issue with Sonic, due to most of them agreeing that it was evenish but generally swung our way. Kinda the same thing it sounds like you've been getting, actually.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Yeah, sort of. Some of the people who come in this thread, whether they claim they win or lose, seem as though they have never even seen a decent Greninja let alone played one. So we're limited to our own experiences plus a few knowledgeable visitors. The Marth and Ness discussions were good at least.

Most of the MUs are listed as even due to this. Everyone is very cautious with their rankings. I would love to re-evaluate many of them, as I think we lose several "even" MUs (Wario, Diddy, Toon Link) and win several too (Mario, Ness).

Then there are others like Falco and Puff who we were happy to accept we beat because a couple people popped their heads round the door to agree. When I think both require more discussion because I don't see how we beat either character.

Last edited:

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
I have to read really far back to find match up knowledge. Is it possible to make links or just qoute people?

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hey everyone. Just wanted to report in, as I have some good news!

Next week, we will restart MU discussion for Season 3, or at least that's my plan. I have a bit of a proposition that I'd like to take into account:
  • MU Chart is kept, Detailed Table will be replaced in a sense. Table has actually been updated.
  • Might be taking the third post for a more detailed analysis section. Including Stages to avoid/go to, general strategies, and good posts that describe the MU well.
  • Mondays will still be update days.
  • Probably going to be using the MLG's ruleset when it comes to Mii Fighters; it's 50/50 Miis with any custom set. I myself use Miis, including 50/50 and 0/0s, so I can assist when it comes time for them to go into the spotlight.
  • Customs will be "Off". The way the metagame is advancing, it's leaving those out for the time being.
  • Probably going to go for two characters a week, and when you post, I would like input on who do you want to see.
  • Generally be a bit more uptight on post quality, but that's rarely an issue here. We've been generally productive.
  • Encourage usage of videos and tournament results.
So, with that in mind, I'd like to ask: Who would you like to see next week, and what are your thoughts on the propositions for Season 3?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Everything seems fine to me honestly.

As for who I want to see first... :4pikachu: and :4zss: look like a good start to me as they're big winners with the new shieldstun mechanics.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
is there any actual proof of greninja beating luigi 60:40? i find it incredibly hard to believe. 60:40 is a matchup like greninja vs. ganon, sheik vs. greninja, etc. greninja doesn't shut down luigi like we shut down ganon, or sheik shuts us down.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The main proof was aMSa beating both Boss and J.Miller with a newly nerfed Greninja pretty cleanly

Greninja beating Luigi is pretty much a consensus by now, even the Luigi mains agree on it.

Oh and istudying beat J.Miller as well

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
oh okay, yeah that's pretty convincing. thanks for actually providing proof.

TheRealDonquavious

Smash Cadet
Woah, iStudying is really, really good. First time I have gotten to see him play.
In matchup terms, you can substitute spike Luigi's side-b on his last stock for a guaranteed win, style included. I've actually finished a tournament set with it before lol. The response everytime it happens is, "Woah, that move spikes?!" Nobody knows that it does.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I was curious about that, since I knew the launch angle was kinda influenced by the trajectory, but since Greninja doesn't get many chances to use Substitute effectively it wasn't something that really seemed too important to me. Cool trick to note, though, certainly something to use against the poor plumber (and especially to style on doofier players :p).

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Week 1:
:4luigi:
Greninja VS The Green Thunder: Luigi!
Luigi has been a dominator at the local level. With his powerful aerials and grab shenanigans, he's been a very dangerous character for many. However, he recently received a nerf to his Down Throw, causing him to lose out his primary KO option. Greninja is one of the few characters that does have a very good matchup against Luigi, with his mobility options and shuriken shutting out many of Luigi's abilities.
Current Rating: 60:40 Greninja Advantage
Stages To Pick:
Stages To Avoid:
Example of the matchup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=757&v=6LI5jDUrRWM
:4zss:
Greninja VS The Jet Booster: Zero Suit Samus!
Considered by many to be the #2 of this game's current state, Zero Suit Samus is a dangerous character. With incredible speed and aerials, as well as some early kill combos out of throws, she can capitalize on your mistake and turn it into a lost stock. Many people think that this matchup is even, or may be in ZSS's favor; however, with the new patch and the bonuses that both characters got from shield changes, reevaluation is needed.
Current Rating: 50:50 Even
Stages To Pick:
Stages To Avoid:
Example of the Matchup: Evidence Needed

Here we go, guys. Post away!

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
:4luigi:
This MU was in our favor even when Greninja was destroyed by nerfs and Luigi was the "Green Diddy." Now, it's a solid advantage for Greninja. Especially with buffed WS, you can shut down Luigi's approach on the ground. This puts him in a really bad position, or forces him into the air. Luigi has abysmal horizontal and vertical air speed. Force Luigi to jump over shuriken, then either run under him and pivot grab or do a retreating pivot grab. Greninja's low traction and disjointed grab box is very safe, and can even catch Luigi out of tornado (his fastest movement option). It is extremely difficult for Luigi to approach Greninja now, which is the kind of situation Greninja thrives on. FD is definitely the go-to stage for this MU. 60:40 at worst.

:4zss:
IMO one of Greninja's worst MUs. I'm curious as to why someone would say otherwise - maybe I just don't know how to play against this character.

T-bone1

Smash Rookie
As a ZSS main, I find a good greninja pretty annoying to deal with. The shuriken is a pretty good at disrupting approaches, and greninja seems to have some good anti-aerial options when grounded. Still, I'd have to give ZSS the edge in the matchup. Neither character seems to have an amazing neutral game, but I feel like ZSS's punishes are much harder with her combo game and potential for early kills.

If playing against ZSS, I'd recommend playing a little more defensively than usual and using uncharged shurikens, particularly from a short hop. Use the charged one very sparingly since ZSS can quickly close the gap and punish. Bair also seems like a nice option against ZSS in the air because of its range and speed. I would avoid trying to rushdown ZSS. ZSS has a 1-frame jab and u-tilt that can easily make you pay unsafe options, and greninja's grab is fairly slow. I'd try to create space and punish ZSS's mistakes (particularly if she whiffs a tether grab).

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Hello Greninja mains, just putting in my two cents about Luigi. While I think Greninja at this point definitely has a solid advantage, it's not an impossible MU. I still feel that we have a few little things that keep it the MU more annoying than depressing. If we do manage to get in, we still get lots of damage off because Luigi's D-throw is still among the best throws in the game and his damage racking is still superb. His aerials are still scary and should definitely be watched out for if you're trying to nail him in the air (Nair comes to mind), so you still definitely have to respect his air game, as it can be used both offensively and defensively. Lastly, Luigi still has his good frame data to work with. Low lag smashes, low landing lag aerials, and they all come out quickly. And finally (just remembered this) if you're fighting a Luigi in close range and you make a punishable mistake, you can expect to be hit by Up-B. Take note that I know the Greninja MU has to be around 35:65 in Greninja's favor, I was just listing the things that Luigi has to keep it from becoming too overwhelming (see: sheik for 'worst MU ever created'). Thank you for your time and if you find a mistake in my little wall of text, feel free to point it out. I just woke up, so the chances are pretty high.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
65:35 is overwhelming. That's like Sheik vs us.

I'm happy to keep Luigi at 60:40 for now. It's the same MU but he can't kill from a grab as well. That's really the only notable difference. Though, it is a big difference. If we're on point with our mobility, Luigi will really struggle to get the kill now. Could see it moving to 65:35 especially after watching those istudying matches but not quite prepared to say that yet.

ZSS I am trying really hard to figure out and will come back to. This could range from even to 40:60 IMO but I don't see it being worse than that.

EDIT: By the way, ZSS and Greninja both have excellent neutral. Greninja's is perhaps a hair better.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I can't see ZSS having a clear advantage at all against us, at worst it would be like 45:55 for us but I'm pretty sure we go even with her.

I'll give more thoughts later when I'm not feeling sick

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I would avoid trying to rushdown ZSS. ZSS has a 1-frame jab and u-tilt that can easily make you pay unsafe options, and greninja's grab is fairly slow. I'd try to create space and punish ZSS's mistakes (particularly if she whiffs a tether grab).
You're thinking of his standing grab. Blue Kermit's dash grab is blisteringly fast and overall one of the best in the game.

That being said, Greninja rarely (if ever) wants to approach- he thrives off of situations where the opponent has to come to him, and with a projectile like shuriken it's not too hard for him. You're absolutely right about her mobility, so it's probably best to use uncharged shuriken here, but otherwise he can still afford to throw it out pretty often.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
any tips on the ness vs greninja mu? I have a ton of trouble with it
Uncharged or partially charged Water Shuriken is your friend. It's faster than any of Ness's projectiles, has longer range than PK fire (and will clank with it), is unaffected by Ness's absorber, and is hard for Ness to F-smash back at you so long as you don't let it go to full charge. This one move single-handedly forces Ness to approach you from the air if used well, at which point he only has so many options.

Also, if you can get Ness offstage, Hyrdo Pump is quite possibly the safest, most effective gimp any character has against PK Thunder. Push Ness with the waterboxes without getting near the attack yourself, and he'll either end up too far away from the ball to hit himself back, or occasionally (much to my amusement) you'll hit him into the ball at the wrong angle, making him go completely the wrong way.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Reminds of the Greninja How to Play. :p

Keep in mind, though, that competent Ness mains will know how to recover without PK Thunder- after all, he's got a huge double jump, decent airspeed, a long-lasting dodge and a good set of aerials to help him get back. That being said, Hydro Pump should still be fairly effective against his other recovery options.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
On Luigi...

As far as stage choices go, platforms really benefit Luigi so BF and DL should probably be taken out. I don't think Luigi players will counterpick to Lylat because the tilting messes up their fireballs and could mess up their recovery as well.

A big thing to note is that now that D-Throw -> Cyclone is not a kill combo anymore, we can safely bring Luigi to Halberd now without fearing dying to that too early.

The MU is pretty solidly in our favor, F-Air can really keep Luigi out now, we can mess with his recovery and now he lacks a reliable kill setup while we still can abuse ours against him.

Overall I think pretty much everything is working out in our favor in this MU now. Well, except platforms.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
:4luigi:- I've always thought it's a 60:40 and I still think so. Greninja does a lot to Luigi that hurts him; his loss of the DThrow kill only hurts this further, but not enough to really change the rating.
Stages to Pick: Lylat - It messes with his fireballs, and potentially his recovery. I've never had much of an issue with the stage, so picking it is my option.
Stages to Avoid: BF-Styled maps - Luigi benefits from the platforms quite well and hinder us in the MU, so avoid them when possible.

:4zss: - I think it's still a 50:50, but results are more often than not inconclusive outside of the local level.
Stages to Pick: My personal suggestion is Smashville, surprisingly enough. The platform is something to watch, along with the decent ground for a ZSS pivot grab.
Stages to Avoid: Halberd/Town & City - Low ceiling stages; ZSS benefits heavily from these as per usual.

:4luigi:: 60:40 Greninja Advantage (Unchanged) - This week only came to use concluding that we kept this advantage in the MU.
Stages to Avoid: Dreamland, BF/Miiverse
Stages to Pick: Lylat Cruise
:4zss:: 50:50 - 45:55 Inconclusive (Unchanged?) - There's lots of disagreement over what it is, but the most of what I see is that it's likely even or a slight disadvantage.
Stages to Avoid: FD, Town & City
Stages to Pick: Smashville
Week 1's Character's are in the Third Post.

Week 2:
:4ness:
Greninja VS PK Kid of Melodies: Ness!
Where to begin with this matchup... this is one of the more heavily contested MUs. Ness's aerial options and onstage game are dangerous to us, but we have the ability to KO Ness a bit earlier.
Current Rating: 50:50 (Even)
Stages to Avoid:
Stages to Pick:

:4myfriends:
Greninja VS The Radiant Powerhouse: Ike!
Another patch comes with another Ike change. While he's currently rated as having a slight disadvantage against Greninja on our boards but what might seem a bit more even on the Ike Boards.
Current Rating: 55:45 (Greninja Slight Advantage)
Stages to Avoid:
Stages to Pick:

Calling on @san. to help us with the Greninja/Ike MU! Eager to hear your thoughts on it, if any.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sorry to be a little late on this but I've been labbing SS hitstun cancel vs Boost Kick and found some really useful stuff. It's always been WAY harder to cancel than Shuttle Loop for me, and despite me being against reliance on the SS hitstun cancel in general (as many of you know; I still think it will be patched out), I realise that being able to consistently escape ZSS' most dangerous kill move (not to mention being the only character to be able to do so) would be amazing. I don't know if my findings will be news to any of you or if I'm just late to the party, but I'll post all my findings nonetheless.

First off, as we all know, SS hitstun cancel can only be used to cancel light hitstun. The only hit of ZSS' Up B that causes light hitstun is hit number 6. This is the hit where you're above her that causes semispike knockback which brings you down in front of her to be hit by hit 7 (stalls your position) and hit 8 (the knockback inducing kick). We CANNOT escape on any other hit. So the first step to getting a consistent cancel is understanding when and where we can actually get out.

Now to get out of Shuttle Loop, most of us will just mash Side B. This works really well for SL for two reasons. One, the time between SL hit 1 and hit 2 is (much) longer than BK hit 6 and hit 7. Secondly, SL has very fast startup and MK can vary when he actually uses the move to launch you off the top during his combo, making it hard to SS out on reaction. With ZSS however, BK is multi-hit which makes you suffer repeated hitlag and thus it's MUCH easier to react to getting hit by it, either raw or combo'd into. Also, she cannot vary the timing with her true combos into it like MK can (I'm not going into airdodge traps, they are not as dangerous as a guaranteed death combo no matter how you slice it). She will either hit you with Uair Uair Up B, or Uair Up B depending on percents and positioning. So reacting to Boost Kick on hit is very doable especially with the combo everyone's talking about right now: Dthrow Uair Uair Up B at ~40%.

So, how do we actually get out? Well first off, mashing side B against BK is a horrible idea. This is where most of us including myself we're going wrong. This is because the multi hit properties will cancel out our repeated attempts to Shadow Sneak and our only chance to escape will be using it right after hit 5 which is a really small window. Using it too late on hit 6 will usually get us hit by hit 7, because SS has startup before Greninja disappears.

What we can do instead is abuse the Sm4sh buffer to consistently escape. We can actually buffer SS out of hitstun, which I didn't know about until I tested this. So, if we SS at any time between hit 4 and hit 6 and just press the button ONCE, we will get out of BK scot-free Every. Single. Time. It's amazing. I was able to get Greninja up to over 200% with this, cancelling out of BK about 20 times in a row. We basically have a window of time equal to the size of the buffer window (which I think is about 15 frames, I'm almost positive it's larger than Brawl's 10f buffer) to escape this move. It doesn't matter what direction you SS in. Just press side B once any time between hit 4 and hit 6, and you will get out.

The timing to escape can vary a bit because when you get combo'd into BK in the air she will usually whiff the first hit and can whiff the 2nd as well, which changes the timing. Pay close attention to what part of the kick she actually hits you with (it will usually be hit 2; hitting later will usually cause you to pop out of the move anyway). With BK OoS, she will always hit you with hit 1 so just use the standard timing.

For BK OoS, we land before ZSS and can get a guaranteed (turnaround) jab or Dtilt punish. And yes, in a cruel twist of irony we will be so close to her that Dtilt to JC Usmash will true combo if she doesn't DI away. I haven't tested the true punishes on a high up BK, I will have a look tonight. I think we'll probably get nothing but meh, not dying is reward enough.

tl;dr: Don't mash Side B out of Boost Kick, press it ONCE between hit 4 and hit 6 and you will get the SS hitstun cancel every time due to the buffer.

I had written SS out of BK off as inconsistent jank, as I think many of us did. But, we were very wrong. This is a consistent escape that can be done very easily on reaction because the window is so large, no matter if ZSS raws or combos into BK. Greninja is the only character in the game who can escape ZSS' death combos with 100% consistency.

I think this has a significant effect on the MU, am happy to list it as even, and would like to explore the possibility of us beating ZSS.

Last edited:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Minimal Ike things cause I came way too late.
I play vs a good Ike player quite often and I've found a few things about the match up.
As per usual you want to run in and out of Ike's range in the neutral, get him to miss space a move and then try to punish with a grab or a Dtilt. The fact that most of Ike's Aerials autocancel is a big deal, in the neutral if Ike is just spacing you out with Nair/Fair you can just force an opening via Shurikens(specially FCWS). The moment he tries to be aggressive you can A) Keep running away and be frustrating or B) be conservative when trying to punish, dashing and shielding can work since Ike doesn't get too much off of grabs at higher percents. Remember that barely ever can you punish a Nair or a Fair on shield (unless they were horribly spaced) because they will autocancel and you'll get hit by either a jab or a tilt. Ike's tilts are punishable in that they don't have too much endlag but it's easy to hit him during the animation of the move because of how telegraphed they are, just be aware of a possible mix up(as in if he nairs to dtilt a lot and you punish via SHNair during Dtilt your opponent might Nair to Utilt next time).
I am pretty sure we can beat his Nair with our Fair too.

This is a matchup that Greninja can win if you know not to try to punish Fair Nair and Bair and use your shurikens properly (just don't charge too much if he is coming towards you or you'll get Faired).

Stages to avoid: I'd say BF and Dreamland because those upper platforms make Ike's juggle game much stronger and gives him a way to get around WS(I also simply dislike those two stages for Greninja but idk if they are just bad for the frog or I am just scrubby) and then for counterpikcs lylat is even worse than those two since Ike's sword has an easy time controlling the hallway.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
I think this has a significant effect on the MU, am happy to list it as even, and would like to explore the possibility of us beating ZSS.
Nice findings. Definitely clarified a few things. As for ZSS, using SS to get out of her Uair strings is also a thing.

Its not looking good for her..:094:

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's really hard for ZSS to kill Greninja. Having no lasting hitboxes or grab sucks, pressure destroys her. Shurikens destroys her long range. Play QCQ and long range, don't linger in midrange where you lose. 65:35 Ninja adv, ZSS's hardest MU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom