• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masquerade Mafia / Mafia Wins!

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Greetings. I am Leviathan. To those that remember me, I require no introduction, but doubtless there are those among you who have not heard my legend.

Gone are the days that titans walked upon this earth and the few that remain have lost their teeth. I have stirred from my long dormant state to remind all those that have forgotten the power of a titan in its full glory. It has been many moons since I last have entered one of your contests but I am not blind to the struggles of DGamesia's residents. I now sit in judgment of each of you. I intend to judge fairly and honestly, but know this: I have come to win.

OrangeXhtml OrangeXhtml You have already given me your true name. What would you have me do with it?

I look forward to the chance of playing against familiar faces. Although it has only been months, it has felt like eons since I have encountered them.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
OrangeXhtml OrangeXhtml You have already given me your true name. What would you have me do with it?
What do you mean "true name"? Is that our true identity, or our role? In either scenario, I would ask of you the same question that you have asked me. If you get my identity correct, that means you have already claimed and that claim has been confirmed, which could possibly put you in the hot seat for the rest of the game. If you can correctly guess the name of my role, that confirms you as the cop and you more will likely be the target of NKs. If the true name is my true identity, that would confirm your role but we still couldn't be sure if the role is town (the way it's worded, it seems the Leviathan could be any faction).

Either way, I have nothing to hide. I will allow you to decide.

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
Greetings. I am Leviathan. To those that remember me, I require no introduction, but doubtless there are those among you who have not heard my legend.

Gone are the days that titans walked upon this earth and the few that remain have lost their teeth. I have stirred from my long dormant state to remind all those that have forgotten the power of a titan in its full glory. It has been many moons since I last have entered one of your contests but I am not blind to the struggles of DGamesia's residents. I now sit in judgment of each of you. I intend to judge fairly and honestly, but know this: I have come to win.

I look forward to the chance of playing against familiar faces. Although it has only been months, it has felt like eons since I have encountered them.
oh hi derr Tom

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
What do you mean "true name"? Is that our true identity, or our role? In either scenario, I would ask of you the same question that you have asked me. If you get my identity correct, that means you have already claimed and that claim has been confirmed, which could possibly put you in the hot seat for the rest of the game. If you can correctly guess the name of my role, that confirms you as the cop and you more will likely be the target of NKs. If the true name is my true identity, that would confirm your role but we still couldn't be sure if the role is town (the way it's worded, it seems the Leviathan could be any faction).

Either way, I have nothing to hide. I will allow you to decide.
Is this post just entirely confused? Does him being this confused over it mean anything?

Or did this guy really just think he got outed as mafia already? Why would he assume the other role was a cop and immediately think the Leviathan stuff was real and relating to it?

Vote: OrangeXhtml

I actually see this as being a useful avenue

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Or did this guy really just think he got outed as mafia already? Why would he assume the other role was a cop and immediately think the Leviathan stuff was real and relating to it?
I going through all of the possible scenarios in my head and typed them as I came across them. I wasn't sure what the "true name" meant, as it could have been my other account name (which would be a largely useless role now that ID reveals don't mean anything) or my role name. I went back and searched "Leviathan" for users and didn't find anyone with that name posting in DGames, so I figured it might be about roles. Someone who gets to point at people and learn their roles is a cop, and I've heard of D0 cops before. I don't really see any flaws in my reasoning for stating cop as a possibility.

Either way, I don't see any reason that Leviathan would go out of his way to do this if he isn't what he claims to be. That would be WAY too much of a gamble on Leviathan's part if the person decided to test the reveal, because that would have gotten them caught in a lie.

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
But why do you think he's claiming a role and not just hiding who he is by referencing to himself as a mythological monster?

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
But why do you think he's claiming a role and not just hiding who he is by referencing to himself as a mythological monster?
Why would he need to do that? He's already disguised as a polish napkin. In addition, he's claiming a PR regardless of if Leviathan is actually his role name because I didn't do anything to initiate the name-giving.

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Be at ease, orange one. I know only the name behind your facade. I know it only through my own searching, not through any other means. I need not rest upon such things.

Now, once more, I must ask you what you would have me do with this name. Shall I reveal you or will we leave this information between the two of us? Advise me on how I should conduct myself.

And for your own purposes, I leave you this: http://smashboards.com/threads/mafia-sleepover-the-finale-town-wins-pokemon-sight-seeing.360822/

That is my last game.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I didn't think to search for the #HBC tag. My B.

Anyways, I have become quite curious about the information that you have attained. I would appreciate you sharing this name that you have discovered.

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Ah, but once words are spoken, they cannot be taken back. I do not think it wise for townsmen to be revealing each other. We were told to guard our secrets with our lives, but you ask me to give away your treasure? Was that a lack of foresight, or do you think I stand to profit by giving you away? Please, enlighten me.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Ah, but once words are spoken, they cannot be taken back. I do not think it wise for townsmen to be revealing each other. We were told to guard our secrets with our lives, but you ask me to give away your treasure? Was that a lack of foresight, or do you think I stand to profit by giving you away? Please, enlighten me.
We were asked to guard our secrets with our lives, but then Soup changed the mechanics of the game so that there were no negative connotations if we were revealed. If we were still to die when we are revealed, I would have responded with a resounding no. I stated that I would be fine either way, and when you responded with me having to make a choice, I chose the one that would make an interesting development in the game and could possibly launch us out of RVS and into useful gameplay (be it because you were merely gambitting and had this planned in case I chose to have you reveal my identity, or because it would reveal who I really am and confirm a PR). If our identities were so vital to our well-being, why then would you so easily reveal yourself? You accuse me of being counter to the game's intent, while you yourself were the first to let your true person be known. Unless you are not really Leviathan.

I just went back and checked Leviathan's account details. He has not been seen since August 29th, and this thread was posted on October 17th. That makes it impossible for you to be the true Leviathan because he wasn't online when this concept was created. I do believe that I have revealed your disguise.

I do think that you are someone from that game, however, because Leviathan hasn't been in any games before or since that one. I also believe you are not Ryker because he's also viewing the thread right now (*waves*)

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Yes, you will not die, but you also do not know if there is anyone on this game that will profit from this revelation. Perhaps someone seeks your head? Perhaps someone can only act against those who's true name has been compromised? If you know for true that these do not exist, then I will gladly reveal what I know.

#HBC | ѕoup #HBC | ѕoup Can you confirm the absence of such conspirators?

As for your detective work, your information is woefully insufficient. Leviathan has never been the man, merely the moniker.

I am Leviathan.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Yes, you will not die, but you also do not know if there is anyone on this game that will profit from this revelation. Perhaps someone seeks your head? Perhaps someone can only act against those who's true name has been compromised? If you know for true that these do not exist, then I will gladly reveal what I know.
Hmmm... I agree that it would seem a bit odd for there to be a masquerade with no consequence of your true self being revealed, and there is a possibility that there are name-related abilities. Considering this new viewpoint, I agree that we should not reveal whatever information you possess.
As for your detective work, your information is woefully insufficient. Leviathan has never been the man, merely the moniker.

I am Leviathan.
OK then, let's assume for a moment that you're Leviathan. If you theorize about how there could be people that want my head if my identity is revealed, why would you re-confirm your own identity a couple sentences later? If you are Leviathan, you could only benefit by disassociating from that name so that the theorized slots won't come after you tonight. If you aren't, you would want to keep up that act so that the theorized slots won't be effective tonight.

Also assuming you're Leviathan, you would have either had to:
1. Get Soup's phone number/E-Mail and request an account,
2. Track down Soup in real life and request and account, or
3. Make a second account so that Soup would make you a third for the game

None of these make much sense, so as much as I believe that Leviathan is just a name and not a man, I don't think the man behind that name is you.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Twitchybanana, I see you viewing the thread right now. What are your thoughts on the game thus far?

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
While I like freshly pressed orange juice, I'm not a fan of this current state of affairs.

Firstly, discussing whether or not Polishnapkin is Leviathan isn't conducive to actual scum hunting. On the same token, Orange entertaining Polishnapkin's assertions and trying to play detective is also largely irrelevant. The reason being? It's because Polishnapkin has every reason to use a fake identity in this charade. Even if he is the player he claims to be, that account is just a mask for another player. Even if he isn't, it has no bearing on his alignment, because both Town and Scum probably have a good reason to keep their identities hidden based on what has been suggested in the thread. Even if there isn't a negative aspect of remaining hidden, we can't be sure, so we may as well stay hidden while we are at it. To that end, I am not sure why Orange is so confident that he won't be screwed over by the mechanics of the game.

As an aside, I agree that Protateus seemed to be spreading himself thin by pointing his finger in multiple directions at once. Surely he can't be thinking about earning allies in this variant.

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
I'm really not ok with the way this game has been going, first I really doubt that's Leviathan and more then that who cares?

The anonymity looks like it's going to really hurt RVS so I'm going to roleclaim. I'm Vanilla townie

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
I'm really not ok with the way this game has been going, first I really doubt that's Leviathan and more then that who cares?

The anonymity looks like it's going to really hurt RVS so I'm going to roleclaim. I'm Vanilla townie
I'd really like to know who this is so that there is some context to this action, but I won't poke for an identity.

I'll ask the really obvious question: why would you out this and give scum a reason to narrow down where our PRs are, assuming we have any?

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
1. We're 4 days into day 1 and there's almost no discussion, this guarantees discussion
2. Mafia can't know if I'm really a vanilla townie or a PR whose just claiming to be one, therefore this discussion can't really narrow anything down
3. So this generates conversation without negatively impacting town and at best throws WIFOM at the mafia to deal with

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
The sound of my voice echoes in this empty hall and I do not wish to hold conversations with the reverberated shadows of my own words. Since, it seems, that no one is willing to put themselves forward as I had originally hoped, I fear I will have to be much more direct. I propose three premises. After I state them, I require every participant of this game to voice their answers. Should any cowering soul fail to provide a response, we strike the fool down where he stands.

Premise the First is simply that: any individual that holds silent their tongue will be forced underground to the silence of death.

Premise the Second is that it is no boon to town to reveal the faces behind the masks provided by our host. Our gain is slight compared to the advantages it affords the enemy and I would prefer to silence any discussion about it. It is an ungainly distraction best left to the foolish.

Premise the Third is a proposition: should this discussion not reach eight pages of comments, we lynch the man with the least to say.

I throw my support for all three of these premises. What say you, dancers of this fine masquerade?

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Even if there isn't a negative aspect of remaining hidden, we can't be sure, so we may as well stay hidden while we are at it. To that end, I am not sure why Orange is so confident that he won't be screwed over by the mechanics of the game.
I'm not (which I realized two posts above yours), but it seemed like the only avenue to conversation. I caught Polish in a lie and my instinct was to persue it; I forgot that in this game, town would have a reason to hide information from the rest of the thread. It was sorta the natural progression of things with my mindset about Mafia (if someone lies, push them HARD) and literally nobody else but Barman posting. I'd also like to mention that almost half of the thread is liable to be bumped tonight/tomorrow morning, so that's not conducive to conversation.

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Sup I'm running the show here.
If this is your show then I am the star. The payment for my performance thus far has been rather paltry. I must have your help this day, my friend. You say you are running but I have yet to see so much as a step. Where would you have us move at this stage?

Oh, look at that. It started. I'm at work right now, but I'll probably do things later.
And you. What have you to say to cover your absence? You are ever watching and never involved. I must have you step forward.

vote: Twitchybanana

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Premise the First is simply that: any individual that holds silent their tongue will be forced underground to the silence of death.
Premise the Second is that it is no boon to town to reveal the faces behind the masks provided by our host. Our gain is slight compared to the advantages it affords the enemy and I would prefer to silence any discussion about it. It is an ungainly distraction best left to the foolish.

Premise the Third is a proposition: should this discussion not reach eight pages of comments, we lynch the man with the least to say.

I throw my support for all three of these premises. What say you, dancers of this fine masquerade?[/QUOTE]
Premise the First: I agree, until we reach MyLo or LyLo. Lynching someone purely off of silence in either of those phases is something I'm not willing to consider, as it is far too risky of a move.

Premise the Second: Fair enough. I agree to cease conversation on the topic.

Premise the Third: Unless there is a significant slip, I am fine with this. My only concern with this rule is how we are gauging who has the least to say; there are some who post a lot yet say nothing, and others who say a lot with few words.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Sorry for the poor quoting; the below message is how it should have been formatted:

I throw my support for all three of these premises. What say you, dancers of this fine masquerade?
Premise the First: I agree, until we reach MyLo or LyLo. Lynching someone purely off of silence in either of those phases is something I'm not willing to consider, as it is far too risky of a move.

Premise the Second: Fair enough. I agree to cease conversation on the topic.

Premise the Third: Unless there is a significant slip, I am fine with this. My only concern with this rule is how we are gauging who has the least to say; there are some who post a lot yet say nothing, and others who say a lot with few words.

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
BarmanUK BarmanUK

You have the appearance of a shrewd thinker but I would like to draw your thoughts a bit more. I would like to hear your thoughts on my premises.

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Simply he who has spoken the fewest number of times; you should find that number underneath the man's nametag on the right. That is enough for my purposes.

Protateus

Smash Rookie
I'm a bit suspicious of Protateus since he's frantically throwing shade on literally every slot that has posted thus far. Some of the pressure just doesn't make sense (like Barman "not calling me out" where the only thing I did at the point of his last post was a random vote).
It's not shade, it's
SWORDS OF REVEALING LIGHT
Barman's own logic dictated that he should have pressured you similarly, yet he did not. This means he was treating you differently for some reason. What reason would he have to call out one slot but not another ? He couldn't have seen you two in a different light, unless of course he had some reason to.

As a double plus point to you my tangerine tango partner, you're suspicion of me I find unjust, you see, since there was only a few people posting, your statement of "literally every slot so far" is a strawman of the actual truth, in which I made a simple joking statement towards AquariusBoy and Morosemist, then when you chimed in I voted you based on what is and remains RVS logic, the simple fact is you'vve done nothing to assuage my suspicions my orange o-migo, and for that, you keep my vote.

Protateus

Smash Rookie
Is this post just entirely confused? Does him being this confused over it mean anything?

Vote: OrangeXhtml

I actually see this as being a useful avenue
You,. my Illuminated Illuminati have impossibly intruded upon an intellectual point I was intent on making. Here stands Orange, incoherent and an impostor to our band of illustrious townies. For his intelligence to jump to such an in depth and intrinsically interesting assumption that his role had been imparted upon by the ever impractical Leviathon, or even to think that Ingenuity had struck that self same man, to worry about his influence and appearance to the point of thinking Leviathon knew of his illegitimacy and be worried about it, certainly implies he has something worth hiding

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
On the premises

1. Yes. If someone doesn't post that's always a pretty good avenue for a day 1 lynch, if no replacement.
2. I don't see the benefit either way, but more importantly, if you think this why did you claim who you were in your first post if you thought this helped mafia?
3. No, we lynch the scummiest not the quietest. Might be the same thing, might not be, but always the scummiest.

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
For premise two, I don't really see that much of a benefit behind it. I really do not ever want to be seeing a situation in this game where people are counter-claiming who they are. We could never be able to tell the truth even if the person was lynched. So I'm just going to ignore the fact that we're actually other people the best I can. This seems the best way for the game to move forward.

Protateus

Smash Rookie
We were asked to guard our secrets with our lives, but then Soup changed the mechanics of the game so that there were no negative connotations if we were revealed. If we were still to die when we are revealed, I would have responded with a resounding no. I stated that I would be fine either way, and when you responded with me having to make a choice, I chose the one that would make an interesting development in the game and could possibly launch us out of RVS and into useful gameplay (be it because you were merely gambitting and had this planned in case I chose to have you reveal my identity, or because it would reveal who I really am and confirm a PR). If our identities were so vital to our well-being, why then would you so easily reveal yourself? You accuse me of being counter to the game's intent, while you yourself were the first to let your true person be known. Unless you are not really Leviathan.

I just went back and checked Leviathan's account details. He has not been seen since August 29th, and this thread was posted on October 17th. That makes it impossible for you to be the true Leviathan because he wasn't online when this concept was created. I do believe that I have revealed your disguise.

I do think that you are someone from that game, however, because Leviathan hasn't been in any games before or since that one. I also believe you are not Ryker because he's also viewing the thread right now (*waves*)
Except you have managed to expertly exclude the evolution of the enigma that is Leviathan. If you seek to egregiously extend your knowledge, I suggest you extend your reach to the man behind the ever billowing curtain

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
Alliterations accelerate an affliction I accumulated. Alliterations agonize the afflicted eyes and austerity auslander augery ants

Aka I'm actually having trouble following what you're trying to say, could you post it without the V for Vendetta theme?

Protateus

Smash Rookie
The sound of my voice echoes in this empty hall and I do not wish to hold conversations with the reverberated shadows of my own words. Since, it seems, that no one is willing to put themselves forward as I had originally hoped, I fear I will have to be much more direct. I propose three premises. After I state them, I require every participant of this game to voice their answers. Should any cowering soul fail to provide a response, we strike the fool down where he stands.

Positively preposterous, yet I find myself perfectly aligned with the premises as they have been delivered. But premises hang on a ever shrinking precipice, that known as WIFOM. Who's to pro port these punishments, or pretend they preen to the ideals we hold true, how do we then pick through the proceedings.

Is it simply a number games for premise one ? Is a man, professing his innocence at a mere pittance of 10 posts speaking louder than a preening conniver, posturing as he will his puffed out chest, posting whatever pretend "content" he can. Who's to say which is more punishable than the next ?

Rounding over to number two, revelations I do agree resolve nothing, an identity is merely that, I do regards however your earlier recantation towards Ornage, and asking him regarding how he would respond to it, You, in fact, seem to revolve to the discussion despite your resounding reverberations to end the round table we'd find ourselves at, were we to rigidly and regrettably waste time revealing an identity, so I must ask, Why rotate yourself to Orange first, did his reaction reconstitute your approach, and why run the discussion aground when you were the one to start it ?

Third I find tithers on the same precipice I thought of for the first. Throwing one man under the bus, creates a tunnel upon the game to produce, therefore and thus I'd thoroughly disagree and thwart this premise thunderously, as the mere thought to have such a tremendous amount of thread activity without true meaning. Then we find ourselves thrust into a terrible choice between the definition of silence and the self same act thereof, and the act of theoretical silence.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Sending out prods tonight when I get home from work, along with vote count

Protateus

Smash Rookie
Alliterations accelerate an affliction I accumulated. Alliterations agonize the afflicted eyes and austerity auslander augery ants

Aka I'm actually having trouble following what you're trying to say, could you post it without the V for Vendetta theme?
He thinks Leviathan is Ryker but if fhe read the game or went back in Dgames time he'd find out who he was and be no better off for it really. Even if someones' pretending to be leviathan why pretend to be that slot in perticular, and moreover, who cares. The knowledge literally does nobody no good

Protateus

Smash Rookie
For premise two, I don't really see that much of a benefit behind it. I really do not ever want to be seeing a situation in this game where people are counter-claiming who they are. We could never be able to tell the truth even if the person was lynched. So I'm just going to ignore the fact that we're actually other people the best I can. This seems the best way for the game to move forward.
Also, i agree with your point on Orange, looked like light fishing and a bit of a backhanded threat to Leviathan about revealing his role, also his reaction made it seem like his role was something he didn't want to have revealed and if he's town he really shouldn't care if leviathans gonna oust that he's town. He can argue it'd be dumb, which it would be, but he still at the end of the day shouldn't care

Protateus

Smash Rookie
As for my response, the first one has too much grey area. Anyone can post, and "most silent" is the most wifomy term I've heard. Who gets to say who's the most silent ? I know certain players can talk for ages about nothing in perticular and have giant walls of content and say absolutely nothing, while other players may post out a tidbit here or there and have better content than some massive hyper poster.

The second one i do agree on, but at the same time I don't care enough to discuss it and Leviathans approach is hat on butt backwards because he was the one to start the discussion with orange and now he's deciding to shut down the interaction and all future discussion when he was the one talking about it in the first place.

THird premise again, way too much gray area. We lynch scummy people, if that's a eprson that hasn't posted then whatever, but i'm not going to go out of my way just to lycnh people who aren't posting and let scummy people continue to do scummy things

Protateus

Smash Rookie
Oh ,and I'm still gonna be V for Vendetta, mostly because it's a fun challenge to construct a snetance taht way. I'll translate it with a tldr at the end for posterity though

Top Bottom