• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masonfest

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Masonfest

Brought to you by
6th Pillar
UM Super Smash Brothers Club

Due to the success of HomeMadeRage, we've decided to host another tourney before The Big House! This is basically two half-day tourneys. We're doing only a singles event for both games, with Melee happening in the afternoon and Brawl happening in the evening. All Melee setups will be converted to Brawl setups by 6pm or so.

Schedule

11am| Venue Opens, Registration
12pm| Melee Singles Pools
-- | Melee Singles Bracket
5pm | Dinner/Transition Break
6pm | Brawl Singles Pools
-- | Brawl Singles Bracket
11pm | Venue Closes

If you're coming for Melee Singles, you must arrive for registration no later than 11:30am.
If you're coming for Brawl Singles, you must arrive for registration no later than 5:30pm.

Venue

Mason Hall
Room 1427
419 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

If you brought a TV, drop it off with someone at the temporary lot, then park at the Liberty Square structure and walk back to the venue.

Entry Info

Venue fee: $5 per person
Melee Singles: $5 per person
Brawl Singles: $5 per person

Venue fee will be refunded for anyone who brings a full setup. A full setup for Melee is a CRT TV + GameCube + Melee disc + complete memory card. A full setup for Brawl is a CRT TV + Wii + Brawl disc + complete memory card.

Payout:

Melee Singles
1st place: 55%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 15%

Brawl Singles
1st place: 55%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 15%

Ruleset

Melee:
* 4 stocks, 8:00 minutes
* Items OFF
* Sets are best-of-3, except all Finals, which are best-of-5.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Glitches such as IC's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide their controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes. Call a TO over if you are new to this process.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle

Stage Strike in "1221" fashion to determine the first stage of the set:
1. First player strikes one stage
2. Second player strikes two stages
3. First player strikes one stage

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional)
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional)

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

Brawl:
* 3 stocks, 8:00 minute time limit
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Ledge Grab Limit: 35
* All standing and walking infinites are banned except for those of Ice Climbers.
* MetaKnight’s Infinite Cape is banned.
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick the last stage you won on in a set unless the opponent agrees on it.
* If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf’s side-B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
* If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or King Dedede, the person who initiated the attack wins. If the victory screen shows that the person who was swallowed won, then the win goes to them because they broke out of the swallow whether the players realized it or not.

Stagelist:

Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi’s Island
Smashville
Lylat

Counterpick
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon

Stage Strike in "1221" fashion to determine the first stage of the set:
1. First player strikes one stage
2. Second player strikes two stages
3. First player strikes one stage

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
5. Winner chooses their controller port (optional)
6. Loser chooses their controller port (optional)

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Team Attack is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

* All players are responsible for bringing their own controller to the tourney.
* Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it. In the event of any disagreements, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes. Call a TO over if you are new to this process.
* Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* A player's spot in the tournament may not be replaced by another person. If your doubles partner does not show up on time, you may team with a level 9 computer.
* No one may make any action that is a clear attempt to distract another player and/or obstruct their ability to interact with the game.
* Failure to report to your match within 10 minutes will result in forfeiture of the first match, and then a complete disqualification after another 10 minutes has passed.
* Payment of venue fee or entry fee can only be made with bills of cash. Do not try to pay with a bag of quarters or a Benjamin Franklin. Please bring exact change to make things easier.

Please arrive on time. Due to the nature of our dual game schedule, we won't make any exceptions for people running late.

Melee Main TO: Juggleguy (Rob)
Cell Phone: 734-945-4702
Email: robharn@umich.edu

Melee Assistant TO: TBA
Cell Phone: TBA
Email: TBA

Brawl TO: Roller (Brian)
Cell Phone: 908-868-3016
Email: bnorth@umich.edu

Brawl Assistant TO: TBA
Cell Phone: TBA
Email: TBA

Please only call a TO if you have to. Do not ask for directions on the phone. It's your responsibility to view/print the maps we provided ahead of time.

Attendance

Post in this thread if you're interested in attending or can bring a setup.

Juggleguy
Roller
WTP
Tutu
Duck
roki
Aceplayer
3Chairz
Kalamazhu
Kinglit
PeopleCallMeJon
Lain
Gio
Zinoto
Doomblaze
HIV+
SlayerTokey

Melee Setups (goal: 8)
Mason Hall x4 (need Cube/Melee to go with them)
Hot ArmS
HIV+

Brawl Setups (goal: 5)
Mason Hall x4 (need Wii/Brawl to go with them)
Roller

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Yo I'll see if theres any bus routes to AA from Southfield if i don't have a ride

EDIT: thats the weekend ill be at my dads house. so automatic "can't go" for me :(
:phone:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I can add 64, but you gotta understand that I will not help organize/TO it at all. 64 is just not my area of expertise... I couldn't even answer questions about the 64 ruleset when people asked me at HMR. So I need to be assured that you+Gio can get at least three 64 setups to the venue (last time two setups didn't cut it in terms of time) and that you guys will TO the event completely by yourselves. I'm leaving when Melee finishes, so you'll also need your own laptop with tio on it.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
ill let you know rob. I have a laptop, a couple setups and hell even like 8 controllers lol. If i for sure go then ill tell you to put 64 in there and ill TO it. Depends if you can somehow get all those random 64 players to come again ^.^

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
FYI Brian, I'm leaving after Melee finishes, so bring your laptop with tio also. I'll come back later at night to help move TVs and tables back together.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Ugh this is the same day as my friend's birthday :/ If Brawl Singles was the first event I'd for sure show up, but with Brawl being at 6, its looking unlikely :|

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Did anyone else interpret the last two posts as:

"I'll get wrecked"

"I can teach you how to get wrecked"

Roller

Smash Legend
THuGz, I've taught you how to get wrecked. You can show them as well.

Jon/Marco willing to Melee MM me? I only picked melee up legit last week and have never done a melee mm before. =o

Top Bottom