• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mash your Down-B's, boys! (a rest punish that was working last night)

fidelis hodie

Smash Rookie
So I have been playing a lot of Jiggs in smash the past couple of days and just wanted to share this one. Obviously, a lot of Little Mac's are out there and more than a few really, really like to use his jab into multijab. I got so frustrated last night at one point, I guess I accidentally rested in the middle of it and it worked.

Then it became a thing. If I started to get caught in a multi-jab from little mac, I started mashing rest to test it and it connected almost every time. You have to make sure you're not too high or to the side (where you can and should just di away) but it taught the mac to stop spamming the attack at least.

Probably needs a lot more testing. Going to see if it'll work on anyone else/ or if it's just an online lag problem.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Lol, the LM matchup was already easy, and now this?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'll test this once my friend comes over in a couple hours.

This would be insanely helpful, because that multijab is so ridiculously annoying. I'll do some testing with all sorts of different mutli-hit attacks and see what I can find

@ OddCrow OddCrow try playing against a little mac that knows what they're doing. It's definitely not easy...

Last edited:

fidelis hodie

Smash Rookie
I'll test this once my friend comes over in a couple hours.

This would be insanely helpful, because that multijab is so ridiculously annoying. I'll do some testing with all sorts of different mutli-hit attacks and see what I can find

@ OddCrow OddCrow try playing against a little mac that knows what they're doing. It's definitely not easy...
Yeah I fought a good one last night that was baiting me into those multijabs so much and they're so fast it was hard not to get caught. At first just di'ing out was working, but if you're in far enough you can't escape.

I do wonder about whether or not the lag has something to do with the input getting off, but we'll see.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Okay I'm testing it now. I'll post some videos later, but I can confirm that it DOES work against little mac sometimes at low percents.

edit: I think it has something to do with how he holds the A button.

Last edited:

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It's similar, but a little different at the same time.

It works on characters who have a delay bwteen parts of their attacks. It does not, for instance, work on Metaknight's rapid jab because it's always out. It does work on Fox and Falco though, because they transition from punches to kicks and during that transition there's enough time to rest.

I'm currently creating a list of tons of attacks that it does and doesn't work on and I'm saving a lot of replays. I'll post things later today

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Some more Little Mac match up knowledge which you guys might already know:

You can duck underneath his neutral B and forward tilt. Maybe forward smash too, but I forget. But in all seriousness, there's tons of things you can duck underneath in this game.

His up B sends him straight up. So when he's off stage and recovering with an up B, just do a fast fall nair and he's done.

As for mashing rest, I would be careful. Little Mac is not the person you want punish any missed/early rests.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Here's some of the ones I've tested

can rest:
luigi jab - no
luigi downB - yes (sometimes - at the end before last hit)
peach jab - no
peach dsmash - no
bowser jab - no
bowser upB - no
metaknight jab - no
fox jab - yes (during transition from jabs to kicks)
falco jab - yes (during transition from jabs to kicks)
kirby jab - no
robin jab - yes (between first and second hit if vectoring downwards)
g&w jab - no
sheik jab - yes (during transition into rapid jabs)
diddy jab - yes (during transition into rapid tail attacks)
samus jab - yes (between hits)
samus upB - no
toon link jab - no
toon link upB - no
DK jab - yes (between hits)
DK upB - no
dr. mario jab - no
dr.mario downB - yes (at the end before last hit)

I have several replays, but I still have more to test. I'll make a video with several clips in it and upload it in the next day or two

@ Coonce Coonce yeah, those are all helpful. You can also duck bowser's forward B, and many many other things. I might make a list of that sometime

Last edited:

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I haven't tested that yet, but I'll let you know once I get the chance to check. Sometime in the next day or two, I will make list that involves every character and any multi-hit attacks that I think are candidates for a possible rest.

fidelis hodie

Smash Rookie

can rest:
luigi jab - no
peach jab - no
peach dsmash - no
bowser jab - no
bowser upB - no
metaknight jab - no
kirby jab - no
g&w jab - no
samus upB - no
toon link jab - no
toon link upB - no
donkey jab - yes (between hits)
donkey upB - no
dr. mario jab - no

I have several replays, but I still have more to test. I'll make a video with several clips in it and upload it in the next day or two

@ Coonce Coonce yeah, those are all helpful. You can also duck bowser's forward B, and many many other things. I might make a list of that sometime
Krynx doing that work! Now . . to memorize.

EDIT:

I've been calling this Rest-Breaking all day after talking to my little bro, definitely stuck with me. Hopefully it stays a viable option and has players thinking about spamming those moves in the future. Or not. Cause we will punish.

Last edited:

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
This is really useful, thank you for sharing c:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
F.Y.I. Jiggs is a SHE
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jigglypuff_(Pokémon)

Not necessarily. Even Jiggs's trophy description says "it."

Also, yeah, this is pretty cool. Thanks for testing all those folks, Krynxe!

Edit: Incidentally, this is also my first post on the Puff sub-forum. I've had an interest in trying Jigglypuff for awhile, so I figured Smash 4 would be a good fresh start to try Jiggly. Looking forward to more informative threads like this one!

Last edited:

Elthon

Smash Rookie
Haha, I love canceling out the lil mac. Rest works easiest for me when I am canceling out a Falcons jab. Works like 80 percent of the time after I got the timing right. If it doesn't work its because they hit me first and its better than missing a rest and being smashed on the ground
IMO.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

can rest:
luigi jab - no
peach jab - no
peach dsmash - no
bowser jab - no
bowser upB - no
metaknight jab - no
kirby jab - no
g&w jab - no
samus upB - no
toon link jab - no
toon link upB - no
DK jab - yes (between hits)
DK upB - no
dr. mario jab - no

You can actually rest bowser out of his UP B if he's near the edge of a platform. I'll post a vid on this later.

Top Bottom