• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel Vs Capcom Discussion Thread

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I thought I might as well create a discussion thread based upon one of the most iconic crossover fighting games amongst Marvel and Capcom.

Although Capcom did produce two Marvel based games with X-Men Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes until it went on to produce X-Men Vs Street Fighter (as their first crossover franchise), Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter, Marvel Vs Capcom: Clash of the Superheroes to Marvel Vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes.

It wasn't until after its last release dating back from New Age of Heroes, that a third Marvel Vs Capcom game was in the works which was first shown back in 2010 called "Fate of Two Worlds."

A year later, it also had Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 which had 11 new characters added to the base roster which consist of the return of Strider Hiryu and newcomers that include Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy's Rocket Raccoon, Devil May Cry's Vergil, Dead Rising's Frank West and Ace Attorney's Phoenix Wright.

In 2017, their next game was Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite which was revealed back in 2016. Whilst it did featured newcomers from Megaman X's X, Darkstalkers' Jedah Dohma, Captain Marvel, Gamora and Ultron (with Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Black Panther, Monster Hunter, Sigma and the return of Venom.)

I've been in to the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise ever since New Age of Heroes back during the Playstation 2 years when I do recall playing the likes of Spider-Man, Ryu, Strider Hiryu and Cable and then in to Fate of Two Worlds/Ultimate with the likes of Dante and Phoenix Wright.

What is your memory of the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise? If there were another Marvel Vs Capcom game in the works, which characters would you like to see return and which new characters and stages would you like to see? What story line should the new MvC game be based upon?

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
I know it's a pipe dream, but Linn Kurosawa from Capcom's Alien vs Predator arcade would be a cool addition, though I doubt Fox and Disney would be willing to work with Capcom, and that's even if they're willing to collaborate for a MVC4

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Lots of good memories playing MvC 2 with neighbors on their dreamcast. Eventually got it for Xbox, cant believe they left it as backwards compatible with 360 since it was unplayably buggy for me.

Also bought & played MvC 3 on Steam which was really enjoyable too especially with some of the Capcom character choices like Frank West, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, & Firebrand.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I have quite a few memories with (U)MVC3, but I mostly sucked at it. I've always wanted to play MVC2, but it's pretty much inaccessible these days.

If they ever make MVC4, I'm hoping they not only bring back the classic themes for the characters, but also the X-Men, including Wolverine. Maybe they could also add in The Punisher and Nick Fury.

They could use this as The Punisher's theme:

And this could be Nick Fury's theme:

Oh, and I think it'd be pretty cool if they brought back stages and music from MVC2. They could even use the unused Network Theme.

Honestly, I think MVC4's soundtrack should be a combination of rock (MVC1), jazz (MVC2) and techno (MVC3)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I’ve played all the games but Infinite before, all but MvC3 were on emulator. MvC is still one of my favorite fighting games, I especially like 3 for the roster. UMvC3 has my favorite roster of any fighting game ever.
I'm definitely agree on the bolded.

can you believe across this whole series there's only ever been 2 spider man characters? i seems to recall reading that some didn't quite make the cut but still
The one Spider-Man character that was supposedly meant to be in Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds was Dr. Octopus. He was due to be in the roster at the time, however he did not make the cut.

A few months ago, modders were able to discover remnants of early assets of cut content within the game and indeed there was an early character select screen portrait for Dr. Octopus.

Surprised that only Spider-Man and Venom were the only two characters from the franchise to be in an MvC entry. I wonder which other Spider-Man characters could make it in a future MvC entry?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm definitely agree on the bolded.

The one Spider-Man character that was supposedly meant to be in Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds was Dr. Octopus. He was due to be in the roster at the time, however he did not make the cut.

A few months ago, modders were able to discover remnants of early assets of cut content within the game and indeed there was an early character select screen portrait for Dr. Octopus.

Surprised that only Spider-Man and Venom were the only two characters from the franchise to be in an MvC entry. I wonder which other Spider-Man characters could make it in a future MvC entry?
i thought it was doc ock

as for which others could make it in, there’s loads of good choices. my pick would be mysterio as he’s my favourite villain but I think the most likely would be green goblin and miles morales

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just thought of something; you guys know Avengers: Battle for Earth for the Kinect and Wii U? The story of that game was primarily based on the Secret Invasion storyline. I think something like UMvC3 could've used Secret Invasion for a story mode to justify characters beating the crap out of each other.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just thought of something; you guys know Avengers: Battle for Earth for the Kinect and Wii U? The story of that game was primarily based on the Secret Invasion storyline. I think something like UMvC3 could've used Secret Invasion for a story mode to justify characters beating the crap out of each other.
or we could use a good story

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I played Infinite back in like 2018, i was my first MvC game...it was fun, but i definitely enjoyed the Tatsunoko one on the Wii more.
I do wonder if they'll ever make a MvC4?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
One small issue is while x-men and fantastic 4 can be used again, You know have to factor in next gen heroes somehow!
I mean having only the next gen version of a hero would be weird right? But im sure disney wants atleast some to be featured!
Also a pure marvel fighjter in a 1v1 style could also be fun!

So I will quickly make a roster to the best of my abilitys (im not that familiar with capcom):

Capcom:

1.Ryu
2.Ken
3.Chun Li
4.M Bison
5.Luke
6.Dimitri
7.BB. Hood
8.Mega Man (classic/11)
9.Zero
10.Tron Bonne
11.Phoenix Wright
12.Miles Edgeworth (With Franziska)
13.Arthur
14.Firebrand
15.Dante (DMC5)
16.Vergil (DMC5)
17. Chris Redfield
18.Wesker
19.Nemesis
20. Guy (final fight)
21.Spencer (original)
22. Viewtiful Joe
23. Strider Hiriyu
24. Amaterasu

Marvel:
Please dont ask me how the proportions work?
The ones listed after are alts!

1.Ironman/Ironheart
2.Hulk
3.Thor/Jane foster Thor
4.Captain America
5.Hawkeye/ Kate Bishop
6.Black Widow
7.Nick Fury/ Nick fury sr.
8.Captain Marvel/ Mah Vel Classic
9. Black Panther
10.Falcon/ Captain A. Falcon
11.Loki
12.Ultron
13.Thanos
14.Dr.Strange
15.Shuma Gorrath
16.Rocket and groot
17. The Fantastic Four
18.Dr.Doom
19.Wolverine
20. Cyclops
21. Magneto
22. Spiderman/Miles/Gwen
23. Dr.Octopus
24. Greeen Goblin

And believe me the cuts on the marvel side were hard i tried to play middleman between stuff marvel wants to push and classic stuff!
I even made classic costumes to balance out the sucssor costumes!

Btw if we get 3 dlc each here they are:

1.Morrigan (because of course)
2.Appolo Justice
3. Sigma

1.Deadpool
2.Venom
3.Antman Scott lang/ Hank pym

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Here is my roster for who I would like to see in a future MvC entry:

MARVEL