• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Up Smash Stage Spike: Who, How and Where (Video Added!)

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
thats really what i intended when i posted it after i discovered it. i'm happy that people are finally seeing the usefulness.
I know! Me too! :-D

Thanks for making that first post. That's what the community needs. Little "hey. I found this. what do you think?" posts.

Then someone like me comes along and tests it and we've got this!

IDK

Smash Lord
ive been doing it a lot after SHDFs at low percentages on unsuspecting characters and it works really well. also works by dtilt set ups or when they fall from above planning to freefall to the edge... so easy.

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
I love this tech. It's so nifty.

:-D

Glad to hear Marth's foot of destruction is doing the good work.

zero5

Smash Cadet
woot.. lol.. i'm part of a find.. >_<

ty guys.. oh and ty armalite for figuring out that the opponent doesn't have to be hanging on the ledge for it to work..

now if i could get the timing down for it.. haha

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll certainly be showing this off at the tourny I go to next week. I know Inui will be there as well as a few other Marth's I know of.

Maybe someone will nail it in a match there!

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
if a character upBs on to the ledge will it still hit ? because it cant get it to work for me , i only seem to pull it off when the jump on the ledge
I'll be testing that in a week or two. Once I have more time.

My suspicion is that it will still work but require hella timing and only on certain up-b's.

Obviously we can count out the tether characters but I would IMAGINE that it would work just fine on players like Snake and ROB.

When I do test it, I'll test any viable form of recovery for the characters, so Illusions for the spacies etc.

IDK

Smash Lord
i wouldnt necessarily count out tethers. when they grab the edge with it then pull in... during the pulling in they are not invincible. you can hit them just before they get the edge. yay. theyre even more gimpable now.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
Question: Will this work against Snake while he is still hanging on to his Cypher and is right next to the edge of the stage, but still has not grabbed it?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I've discovered this before. Didn't think it was such a huge issue O.o

When a character was returning to the stage in a CPU match on Smashville. I ran over and did an Up Smash anticipating him to roll back on or jump. I ended him while he has hanging on the ledge and it nailed him downwards:)

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Bigmack's right-I use Ike quite a bit, and I d-tilt spiked a lucas out of his tether recovery as he was pulling himself to the stage. xD Beautiful moment.

IDK

Smash Lord
Question: Will this work against Snake while he is still hanging on to his Cypher and is right next to the edge of the stage, but still has not grabbed it?
yeah as long as he's not in super armor. this is actually one of my favorite ones to do it on. he hangs there wide open for a long time. really easy.

I've discovered this before. Didn't think it was such a huge issue O.o

When a character was returning to the stage in a CPU match on Smashville. I ran over and did an Up Smash anticipating him to roll back on or jump. I ended him while he has hanging on the ledge and it nailed him downwards:)
dont take credit. its nasty. >:p

Bigmack's right-I use Ike quite a bit, and I d-tilt spiked a lucas out of his tether recovery as he was pulling himself to the stage. xD Beautiful moment.
thanks lol. so anyway one of my favorite things to do is spike, but i don't go for it too often because it gets predictable. that way, any time i want to spike, it is unexpected, increasing the chance to hit. this helps even more with unpredictability because its a wtf moment to people who don't know and still the same to everyone because its new. it's good to mix it up between upsmash spikes and dair spikes. sometime's ill fake go for a spike. as in jump off do a dair, fast fall back to the stage while i DI, then upsmash and catch them after the airdodge.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
Obviously you didn't seem to care enough to reveal it or explore further
Any person can find something on accident, but if they don't take note of the event, it'll remain just an accident
Anywho, thanks to everyone who've worked on this =] (I wanna try it in a real match soon *-*)

∫unk

Smash Master
Guys... like I said in the very beginning, this technique only works on really bad people... against good people you ALWAYS get punished for it.

Going close to the edge while the opponent can initiate invincibility frames is stupid.

The number of times that this has worked on good people? 0%. Even against people that don't know about it... it's just natural to abuse invincibility frames when the opponent comes so close to the edge.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
I agree, but in casual matches, it's always fun to make your friends go "WTF HAPPENED!?!?!?11#!" <3
The fact that my friends are not that great of Brawl players works in my favor for this case :DDDD (course I suck too)
But yeah, I guess it's not exactly Marth's best option when it comes to edgeguarding =|

IDK

Smash Lord
junk, it's possible if you're good at it and don't spam it. it's sort of easy on snake after his up b. seriously though, it is useful. kills tethers, stops slow ^b's, and yes, i HAVE done it on good people.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
junk, it's possible if you're good at it and don't spam it. it's sort of easy on snake after his up b. seriously though, it is useful. kills tethers, stops slow ^b's, and yes, i HAVE done it on good people.
It works in moderation, but usually by pure luck. Good luck doing it as a consistent gimp. =/

How does one define good in Brawl anyway?

∫unk

Smash Master
But if you're getting punished more times than it works (in this case, the risk is not worth the reward), why would you do it?

And it's a good option against snake if you can't get off the edge and b-air stage spike him... I'll acknowledge that... but that situation rarely (<1%) comes up. Usually if they're that low you hit them at a point where you're off the edge too, which means the d-air would be the better option.

If a snake is going low without you doing anything then that's just a bad snake.

And you're good at Brawl if you can beat and/or be competitive with other good people.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
But if you're getting punished more times than it works (in this case, the risk is not worth the reward), why would you do it?

And it's a good option against snake if you can't get off the edge and b-air stage spike him... I'll acknowledge that... but that situation rarely (<1%) comes up. Usually if they're that low you hit them at a point where you're off the edge too, which means the d-air would be the better option.

If a snake is going low without you doing anything then that's just a bad snake.
It's okay against Snake, and if you're frame precise, you can abuse this on certain intervals of get-up frames I believe, but it's doubtful this is going to be that useful. Especially since as you said, one mess up that close to the ledge can very well hurt more than reward.

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
Good snakes will avoid riding the edge with their up+b. They usually go up and over a good distance away from the stage and try to land on it.

Like all techniques this is situational, but like all techniques it's good for us to be aware of it.

So anyone want to test this out on up+b recoveries?

IDK

Smash Lord
who said i was getting punished? if you don't do it often as a so-called "consistent gimp", like people who go for spikes every edgeguard... i'm saying do it every once in a while unexpectedly when you know you won't get punished. most of the time you don't know it because you have an instinct for it, but if you are a good player, you do things when you see the opportunity that in the case you miss, you won't get punished. if there's a chance you will, it's one of those situations people would call "risky". try doing this in a "safe" situation instead.

∫unk

Smash Master
but what I'm saying is that... approaching the side of the edge will get punished no matter what. Doesn't matter if it's the first time, it's just too easy to do. For example Marth can just ledge drop and up b (with the sword going through the stage near the edge) until you back off then he can climb back on stage easily.

It's like doing a dash attack on the ground... it just has a very very small chance of actually working, and more often than not, even when you rarely use it, it will get punished.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Guys... like I said in the very beginning, this technique only works on really bad people... against good people you ALWAYS get punished for it.
Exactly why I didn't delve further into it.

I'm glad someone understands.

IDK

Smash Lord
man... but in that case the marth can just be edgehogged or stagespiked. you can also stagespike them out of their upbs or trying to renew invincibility. and no, it won't always get punished. i rarely do marth's dash attack, but in SOME rare cases, i do, and just as that you can do the upsmash stagespike...

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
I got it to work for Lucario but didn't get it to work for Zelda, tried to adjust position but still no
It was on FD btw

IDK

Smash Lord
kind of unlikely against zelda because most good ones will sweetspot the edge. in that case, because she's invincible the rest of the time, she can't be hit. although other characters sweetspot it too, if they don't have super armor, they can still be hit.

Hype

Smash Lord
you can stage spike G&W on lylat I did it in a game the other day. you might have not noticed this becasue it might have something to with the shipe tilting.

this is not a stage bounce you accually go under the stage towards the bottom middle of the boundaries.

ChK

Smash Cadet
nice find... now can you dash across the platform then hit the c-stick up and will the spike work... maybe your have to have good timing or maybe you cant... but who would ever just let them stick there foot out... haha but cool find... lets see if it's ever used in a tourney... if so somebodys gotta get a vid and post it in here :]

IDK

Smash Lord
i only do it when people try to renew invincibility... but lol at you guys bumping this thread back up.

Top Bottom