• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's F-Air Autocancells! Confirmed by D1

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
https://mobile.twitter.com/xD1x/status/506165692941336576

"@xD1x:
Marth's fair autocancels. You double jump, upB, side B, shield breaker, and counter immediately as you land.#SmashBros #PaxPrime2014"

For those that don't know, D1 is a longtime commentator for Smash bros Melee and he provided some commentary during E3. In an interview at E3, he was extremely disappointed with the build.

Looks like he found the autocancel window for F-Air though.

Read more on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2f42p0/d1_paxprime_on_twitter_marths_fair_autocancels/

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Interesting... I've mostly written Marth of for this version because my experience with him at E3 was... eh. But this helps quite a bit.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
The important thing to note is that he was able to do this in the E3 version. Don't know if this transfers over to the final build.

Also, the E3 build might have had its physics modified a bit if no one was able to find this auto cancel at E3/Smashfest.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
you honesty should not be writing anyone off from the e3 build Xd.
I just mean I wasn't expecting him to change too drastically I guess haha. I mean, obviously things will change, but there was a reason he was playing the way he was so I don't expect his overall "feel" to change back to say... Melee Marth.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I just mean I wasn't expecting him to change too drastically I guess haha. I mean, obviously things will change, but there was a reason he was playing the way he was so I don't expect his overall "feel" to change back to say... Melee Marth.
ah well since lucina's looks good and is the exact clone of marth that means some good things at least.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
What's he mean double jump immediately as you land
And why did he list out all his specials? Does the autocancel somehow not work with normals..?
Also, I guess we're just assuming he means in a short hop
Weird tweet

Last edited:

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Yeah actually Lucina is looking more interesting to me at this point. But who knows, it could all change.
She's literally identical to Marth except she doesn't have a tipper, straight from Sakurai's mouth.

That is, if you think Lucina looks faster than how Marth looked at E3, that likely means they just sped Marth up, not just made Lucina a faster Marth.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
She's literally identical to Marth except she doesn't have a tipper, straight from Sakurai's mouth.

That is, if you think Lucina looks faster than how Marth looked at E3, that likely means they just sped Marth up, not just made Lucina a faster Marth.
I doubt that's the only change. I'm sure she's "identical", so to speak, the same way Doc is identical to Mario. Same moves all across the board. Yet he's still much different in function. Lucina is likely the same.

I'm willing to bet she has faster aerials, lower landing lag, weaker throws, weaker smashes than tipped Marth and probably about equally powerful to untipped Marth, and consistent power throughout the sword to balance Marth's tipper. Lucina will be about aerial combos and aggro (since she doesn't need to space or play as defensively), while Marth will be about a spacing/punishing game (since he needs his tipper. This is supported by his more punishing Dancing Blade, better counter, and still-killer S-Smash), especially on the ground and while the opponent is recovering.

I REALLY doubt that Lucina is just a Marth without a tip, because that would render her a pointless character to invest in since a good Marth will be much stronger and have a better payoff.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I doubt that's the only change. I'm sure she's "identical", so to speak, the same way Doc is identical to Mario. Same moves all across the board. Yet he's still much different in function. Lucina is likely the same.

I'm willing to bet she has faster aerials, lower landing lag, weaker throws, weaker smashes than tipped Marth and probably about equally powerful to untipped Marth, and consistent power throughout the sword to balance Marth's tipper. Lucina will be about aerial combos and aggro (since she doesn't need to space or play as defensively), while Marth will be about a spacing/punishing game (since he needs his tipper. This is supported by his more punishing Dancing Blade, better counter, and still-killer S-Smash), especially on the ground and while the opponent is recovering.

I REALLY doubt that Lucina is just a Marth without a tip, because that would render her a pointless character to invest in since a good Marth will be much stronger and have a better payoff.
From Sakurai's own mouth he said Lucina has the same physical ability (or something along those lines). The logical interpretation of this is that she is just as fast as Marth in all of her moves. Same weight, fall speed, frame data, etc. Only difference is her sword.

I don't get how people come up with the idea that she'll be faster...

Last edited:

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Sniped because other guy just quoted this same post.
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Sakurai actually said in a POTD with Lucina that he described her as an "easier to play" Marth; as in she was literally designed to be a lower floor/ceiling Marth.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Yeah in the quote Satan is talking about, he just says that her "physical abilities" are identical...
Personally I think that's still a pretty vague phrasing. For all we know, by "physical abilities" he just means their moveset

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'm sure the moveset might be similar, but serve different functions, not unlike Roy.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
From Sakurai's own mouth he said Lucina has the same physical ability (or something along those lines). The logical interpretation of this is that she is just as fast as Marth in all of her moves. Same weight, fall speed, frame data, etc. Only difference is her sword.

I don't get how people come up with the idea that she'll be faster...
http://fat.gfycat.com/FineSentimentalGecko.gif
landing lag probably

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
that's where people got the idea
Ah okay. But that doesn't prove anything.
Yeah in the quote Satan is talking about, he just says that her "physical abilities" are identical...
Personally I think that's still a pretty vague phrasing. For all we know, by "physical abilities" he just means their moveset
Last time I checked, one's speed falls under physical ability. Sakurai also said Lucina was originally a skin and then was given different sword properties and thus a slot, again implies that their speed will be the same. Only her sword has changed.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Sorry if this is a bump:

Any hints if we can do it now? Fair autocancel to anything?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
From the leaked video we saw Lucina autocancel Fair with Utilt, so I was pretty sure Marth could do it, too. Thanks for the info @ Rich Homie Quan Rich Homie Quan !

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I can confirm that Lucina can land after fair without significant endlag, so long as she doesn't fast-fall. Fair -> Utilt works.

Marth can as well.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Sorry if I jumped the gun on this at any point in time. I apologize.

I can confirm that Lucina can land after fair without significant endlag, so long as she doesn't fast-fall. Fair -> Utilt works.

Marth can as well.
Nice, man. Thanks for this tidbit.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

Marth can as well.
Excellent. We still have good followups then.

Top Bottom