• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Vs Peach

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I know this match is in marth favour but i just wanted to know what would you do against a peach.
what type of stage would you pick and try to avoid from peach and wheres the best place to keep a peach and the worst situation to try to never be in with a peach

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I wrote this already..but I'll give alittle advice.

Yoshi's story is an obvious good stage for marth. Battlefield isn't too bad since platforms can be used to screw her over very easily.

Final destination isn't a good choice due to her turnips ease of use and her general living to high percents. same for larger stages like Dreamland..fighting a peach on dreamland isn't fun.

She can be chaingrabbed sort of, for the first few grabs from 0 and its very easy to follow up with fairs and end it with a spike or f-smash but most of the time, shes coming back. Try to force her recovery in low as if she gets enough height, shes making it back regardless. Don't forget about edgehogging her if she tries coming in too low as you can spike right from the ledge.

I would not advise catching turnips as it can limit your on the spot options and some peaches actually want you to, besides its safer just to avoid them. Focus on swiping them as you recover and peach spams them. If she grabs you and you expect an f-throw, di up. As you should be at higher damages anyway for most attacks.

Be very wary of her d-smash and dash attack, as she loves to cc and d-smash against you, not to mention tech chase with it. And her dash attack will cut through your aerials and pop you up nicely for her.

If she does live to an obscenely high %, a nair will take care of her if tippered so keep that in mind if you don't want to try landing an f-smash.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
u can go to yoshi story or BF, both r pretty good, try to gran her vegetables, so u can have some range attk on here, every peach is going to scare when u have a turnip in your hand..

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I don't play good peaches often..

That's better. Marth has one of the slowest throwing animations and having a turnip other than a stitch makes Marth lose all his priority for the sake of a turnip. Only time I've found grabbing turnips remotely useful are when recovering (which you can just fair if you want) or when it's a stitch which I will usually shield or hit before grabbing anyway. Battlefield is a ok choice for Marth. Yoshi's Story to me against a good Peach is more of an even stage because a good Peach can keep the pressure on you and stay close and kill you almost as easily as you can kill her. You don't have much room and Peach has very good close quarters priority.

Edit: I used Peach - Stitch - and Turnip as if they were universal terms in this post somehow... Cleaned it up although it probably was true anyway.

Dan_Fumaster

Smash Rookie
Battle Field or small maps with platforms (works wonders especially if you start out in center stage, i.e. BF) because you really want to take advantage of SH Aerials as any ground attacks will lead Peach into a side roll and dsmash which ultimately hurts you badly, sends you off the edge, and leads into a hail of turnips. Note: Some stages like Dreamland are not one of the good small maps with platforms because of the high ceiling. I typically like the ceiling to be as LOW as possible (considering most tournament legal maps, excluding really low ceilings like Flat Zone)! A difficult level tends to be Poke Floats because Peach can float and attack you even if she isn't in a position to throw a barrage of turnips.

My first approach to all Peaches is to try for vertical K.O.'s with the up-aerial attack after building enough damage. Keeping Peaches in the air and watching their attack patterns/styles/limits will keep her busy as she can't dsmash or rain turnips. The primary aerial I usually try to watch out for is her neutral-aerial which if you don't hit them back far enough with an aerial attack they'll send you flying even at very low %'s...which leads into Turnip hell.

If I do have to fight on the ground, the dtilt is very helpful (it can combo into a side smash if it hits) as if she side rolls you can move away quickly (from the dsmash...if you can't tell, I really hate the dsmash). The trick is to stay out of her reach though cuz if the slaps you, those grabs really hurt. And of course, this gets really predictable so if you get grounded a lot, you might want to try some other things. A typical counter if she side rolls behind you is to short hop away and use your bair.

Now, some things on Poke Floats. The side smash can work very well on Peach. At the start, in fact, getting her to 30~45% and a successful tipsmash to the left can kill her VERY easily. This works extremely well if she starts lower than you (i.e. on the left side). If she doesn't start there, just throw her over there but be cautious. Note: This advice is given when a Peach takes Marth to Poke Floats.

Sorry for any problems you may have had with my non-edited post.

Hope this helps or seems interesting!

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Don't give bad advice.

Alot of things you said are very wrong Dan Fumaster

You tend to forget how easily marth dies if you keep saying how much you want the ceiling low...marth isn't fox, hes not good at vertical killing. And Poke floats? I wouldn't take peach there because she has great chances to use turnips and screw you over, not to mention extending her float combos very much so."My approach to all Peaches is to try for vertical K.O.'s with the up-aerial attack after building enough damage." Horrible idea, requires far too high of a % on most stages, much easier to kill with a tippered nair.

Your "tricks" are standard play by the way, not much of a trick.

And a camping doesn't matter much considering marth camps extremely well and it would only be a problem with a stock behind.

Vertical K.O.s are not your best bet.

Dan_Fumaster

Smash Rookie
My experience bud. It's good if you can point out that some of the things I say are wrong or don't work for you or many other people, but I'm not intentionally giving "bad advice". I never said anyone had to follow my advice. It's just works for me. Sometimes, some things just don't work for people just like all Peaches (perhaps I should've said "First Approach") and Marths don't play the same way. Sure, they use similar techniques and may like something that they see and use that, but everyone enjoys their own playstyle or else the game would be kind of lacking in several areas, much?

Anyways. You seem to have much more experience than me, so if you think you're absolutely right, you probably are. But don't be so quick to judge on the way other people play. Instead of just saying Marth dies a lot with a low ceiling, try to point out why and what moves Peach has to KO Marth vertically. And about Poke Floats and turnips, Poke Floats may not be the best choice of a stage for Marth. I'm just pointing out some things that I do because Poke Floats happens to be my worst stage. And then, even if Marth is bad at stages with a low ceiling, there probably are other strategies to keep Marth from dying.

My tricks? You're right. These are all just standard attacks that can be used at certain times. I never said there were anything significant about them.

But thanks for corrections. You're indeed right. Peach does have a lot of chances to pull some turnips and pwn Marth on Poke Floats, but it requires quicker thinking than...let's say FD. Even I wouldn't take Peach to Floats normally, seeing how there are better stages. But a lot of Peaches have taken me to Poke Floats.

Now, vertical K.O.'s is my typical favorite way of getting rid of Peach. I see it can have a lot of problems but as my ability to WD is very low, it doesn't take much ability for a Peach to dodge several of my attacks and pummel me in lag. And I see how saying "Vertical K.O.s are not the best bet" contradicts my idea of individuality so I take that back.

I'll edit my post, and thanks for pointing some stuff out that I was missing.

.PNOY.

Smash Apprentice
but peach isnt much of a vertical killer either especially against marth and his range. and besides, u-tilts work WONDERS against peaches. vertical killing is one of the easiest things to do w/ marth w/ that tip on the u-tilt. got killed many times by mew2king due to his perfectly timed u-tilts.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
You took to that awfully well. I like people that accept things that easy. And what I said was general advice, not very style specific at all.

And peach can kill marth vertically easily with her uair and up-smash (Rival's fox's upsmash if she can connect with the shoulder pads) since you asked.

And if a peach is getting killed by up-tilts consistently, shes being far too slow in her appoaches.

.PNOY.

Smash Apprentice
u-tilts work REALLY well if ur playing battlefield or yoshi's story and her recovery cant reach the highest platform. but marth shouldnt be killed by peach's u-airs. w/ that sword range, it'd be sad if you did. i can understand the up smash, but i dont think marth's would be falling DIRECTLY above her since her up smash is really skinny so easily dodged/interrupted (i.e. FAir or even NAir)

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
No no, she can do it from the side, her upsmash hits the strongest if you connect with her pads on her shoulders.

And I agree on the battlefield or story being great up-tilt stages..and it depends, her recovery can be very variable.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
i think i get a lot of peach experience and easily one of my most familiar matchups so i guess i'll throw in my input
dd grab a lot for fthrows and dthrows and learn to quickly read the DI and follow up with either dash attack or fsmash.
learn to combo the hell out of peach. you can usually get a peach into KO percents easily with just a few combo runs.
you'll usually want to finish off the peach with utilts, nairs, or fsmashes. typically, utilts are the most effective solution since peach is very difficult to combo at high percents due to how far she gets knocked back. however, you need to really get a feel for just when to use the utilt. at higher percents, the first one or two hits of forward+b can also set up beautifully. take advantage of whatever free spikes you can get (whether by surprise or from a combo) at any percent.
don't make a habit of catching turnips since they can really limit your options as you can't perform any attacks or grab while holding a turnip. however, dot-eyes and stitch-faced turnips are worth catching, as well as an OCCASIONAL normal turnip just to surprise her.
learn how the peach you're playing uses turnips. if the peach is really aggressive and uses turnips to lead into aerials, you can try countering them much like one would against an aggressive falco. if you need to approach a peach trying to camp you with turnips, don't forget that you can swat them away or just simply maneuver around them.
while most peach players don't usually go for the vertical KOs on marth, you can't completely rule them out. usually, if you play smart, you can avoid the vertical KOs. not sure what else i can say about it.
As far as stages go, BF is probably your best bet, followed by YS. FD and PS are also good options only if you feel you can make good use of marth's comboing game on those stages. Some stages to be careful on are mute city, brinstar, and DK64. I've found those to be the most difficult stages against a good peach. DL64 can also be bothersome due to peach's incredible ability to live WAY too long on that stage.

b.wood5474

Smash Cadet
I know this match is in marth favour but i just wanted to know what would you do against a peach.
what type of stage would you pick and try to avoid from peach and wheres the best place to keep a peach and the worst situation to try to never be in with a peach

well when fighting a peach, i typically use aerial attacks and some down a smash attacks and use counter. i always battle in hyrule temple, and final destiantion.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
well when fighting a peach, i typically use aerial attacks and some down a smash attacks and use counter. i always battle in hyrule temple, and final destiantion.
Hyrule temple is a banned stage. I recently played Krazy Jones Peach... he 2 stocked me every match in pools. Luckily I didn't have to play Cort as well because good peaches are just crazy to get used to playing.

Top Bottom