• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Vs Marth

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Me and my friend play marth vs marth quite a bit and I was wondering if the N-air should be used alot in battle? In what situations? as well as the U-air? Thanks

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
use fair. and space really well. get a fair off then do whatever and combo. but what you really want is a grab. grabs are devastating. at 0% do fthrow fthrow fthrow fsmash for a fast ~30% (and decent knockback if they DI into tipper). or instead of the last fthrow uthrow to utilts and uair/fair juggling. basically, you want to try to get the other marth off the stage and keep him there.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Play a ground game to counter the other Marth's aerial game. Lot's of CC'ing his fair into your own fthrow/fair combos. If you sense you're about to get grabbed, dtilt poke his approach, wavedash back, or get some spacing via shorthop back, or dashdancing.

You should probably learn to quickly fthrow and fsmash before he can react and DI away from the throw. It tippers nicely. :D

Space. That's about it. This kind of battle is something you have to learn how to do on your own. Advise in this case doesn't really help, because the other player can do it too. If you space better, than you win. Pretty much it. DI like a beast, or you're screwed, and if you can, keep control of the lower levels of the stage. At stages like Battlefield and Yoshi's Story and Pokemon Stadium, ABUSE the low platforms and do all kinds of tippers through them. Not necessarily fsmashes, but lots of uptilts, etc. If they're on that platform, they lose. However, only up-tilts will hit them at all on Dreamland 64, so only uptilts through the platforms there. That's about it. It's a difficult match-up, and the thing that puts you out on top is who spaces better.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
marth doesnt counter marth. not to mention if you dont main marth and you pick him up for this match you will get *****. this is probably the worst ditto in the game for you not to know your character. if you are looking for a marth counter play fox or sheik.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. No one ***** Marth like Marth. Marth death combos himself. He ***** himself. Only against another Marth can Marth unleash his true potential.

I have discussed this with other notable Marth players as well. He can grab combo himself and his alot of great combos on himself as well.

Marth >>>>>>>> Marth , but Marth <<<<<< Marth, and Marth = Marth.

Truth.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
marth has good combos, but definitely not death combos (meaning 0-death). sheik has always beaten marth (tho i like the matchup myself) and fox can **** marth if you know what you are doing.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Marth has a ton of 0-Death combos on himself. Grabs, aerials, and edgeguards will destroy you if you don't have enough knowledge in the ditto.

Marth also has the potential of ****** a Fox. Or a Shiek, if you know what you're doing.

Like I said, difficult match-up. If you try to pick up Marth as a secondary for Marth dittos, it's probably NOT going to work. Good luck with that one buddy.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Something I've noticed: People are either really really good at Marth dittos, or they just suck at them. For example, my friend that doesn't even play Marth, who's pretty much as good as me, doesn't even play Marth, but edgeguards me perfectly, out grab camps me, and DI's quicker. Me, I don't DI fast at all, miss all my grabs, and even mess up combos sometimes lol. But if we play a different matchup my Marth does well vs him. I've noticed this a lot with other players also.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
no one's mentioned anything about the nair yet, so i might as well. from my limited experience, nairs are really good for random strikes to punish lag. they aren't the best approach cuz an fsmash can stop them dead, but if he missed an fsmash, it'll do more damage than a fair. however the move really doesn't have much combo potential cuz the knockback isn't predictable. if you hit with only one strike, if you hit with both, where you hit them and what damage they have all change the knockback a lot, and it can be tough (it is for me anyway) to figure out where he's going to end up.

personally, i do use uairs a bit for as has been said juggling, and sometimes for edgehopping if the guy is above me (which he reeeeaaaally shouldn't be. dumb idea). i actually use bairs more for people above me, so uairs have limited usefulness.

and now is the part where all of the professional/much better than me players all say "wtf mate! this guy doesn't know what he's talking about." on that note, i take my leave.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
dont use nair, if you fair them you can combo and possibly kill, which is a lot better than the 10 damage or w/e nair gives.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
nair is sometimes nicer than fair out of shield...nair is nice to catch someone who is about to tech on a platform if you're not sure you will catch him with an upair.

oh i know...nair is good when someone has thrown off your spacing and you're trying to reacquire space...though retreating fairs work well too if you have space.

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
The nair, I feel, does have its uses. One must be careful because it is possible to get f-smashed when coming in with a nair approach.

capncone

Smash Apprentice
From my experience also, at least, fthrow to fsmash after you can't chaingrab anymore works until about 50 or 60 percent. I don't think nair is a very good approach option, like everyone else has said, and fair is almost always a better choice.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
You can get fsmashed out of a fair. The advantage the Fair has over the nair is that you can bring it out at any time to cover Marth as long as he's in the air. The autocanceled Nair covers Marth all the way through his jump so it's really his only safe "GTFO" attack. Nair is probably best used overshooting or retreating.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
whoops thought this was Q&A thread...and ya i like nair a lot for overshooting as well..also for fast char like fox who might be at a range where they can cross before you can react sometimes

Top Bottom