• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Link advice, tips & help!

GazWithPie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gazwithpie
I am a Marth main. There is an extremely good link player in my city and I want to know what I can use with Marth to counter all of links projectiles and his tricks.
Help me! Thanks

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I used to play Link a bit (casual XD), but I generally understand what he's capable of. If you watch battles with a good Samus in them, the full charged shot is a massive threat. That's kind of how his bomb is. It's a very useful threat. You'll want to learn about what his throwing capability is so that you know when to worry about the bomb. If he throws the boomerang, honestly just avoid it. Good Link's will probably maneuver themselves so that they take a hit, and then you get hit by their boomerang and they combo off of it. It has a very simple mechanism that controls it, so pay attention to it sort of like how you should Puff's jumps. The arrows aren't too much of a threat due to their cruddy KB and how long they take to charge up.

That's what I can tell you about his projectiles, but I'm not entirely sure about outspacing/zoning him, especially given his tether grab and the fact that his ftilt reaches so far.

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Lol I've had issues like this before.

Funny thing is, I can't even find a legit tournament video where a Marth beats a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JDdwDdratI
That's a really good one since Fly talks about the match-up during the video. You should all take a look at it

There's a local link player who's around my level so I have some experience in the match-up.
Shield angling is really important here. A lot of Link's moves poke Marth's shield, especially the feet (and some aerials hit Marth's head).
If Link ever uses up-b, remember it's NOT a multihit, therefore you can grab it after it hits your shield, even if Link is still spinning.
Shield in general is pretty good (if angled correctly). Link is pretty laggy so you can get a grab or wavedash after he hits you shield and you are not in much risk of a grab. Good Links will try to condition you and start throwing grabs after a while, so you need to pay a lot of attention to what's happening.
CC is really good against link too for the same reasons shielding is. You can CC boomerang and a lot of attacks to really high % (you can also hit his projectiles with fair or jab pretty easily).
Throw follow ups can be kinda awkward because of Link's heavy weight. D throw forces Link to tech most of the time so practice your tech chases. Up throw can force Link to jump which you can use to up air juggle him. If he doesn't jump, you can get a free up tilt into juicy follow ups. Mixing Link up with grabs is the best option IMO.
Another thing I've noticed most Link mains love to do is spot dodge. I have no idea why but they do (just look at the video for an example). Pretty free to punish if you expect it.
Edge guarding Link is kinda weird and sometimes there's not much you can do except reading him and hitting him offstage. Learning how to edge guard him will come with experience in the match up. Try to take him to stages without a wall so he can't use the hookshot.

Finally, here's another match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OQWGnVNe2c

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
A post of mine taken from another thread

Fair boomerangs, catch his bombs, jump over them, wL, whatever it takes to get inside. If you have to shield wd oos or jump out and wL on a plat. If you get hit with a boomerang, or especially a bomb, DI it away. Once you're inside grab, combo him with fairs and uairs, pressure him with dtilt, ftilt, fsmash, etc. Use platforms wisely to continue combos but try to get him offstage ASAP (stuff like fair to fsmash at mid% is good for this). You can counter his up-b, invincible ledgehop dair (dtilt sets this up), fsmash, whatever the situation calls for.

Also remember reverse-b for punishes when you don't have time to space tipper fsmash.

Top Bottom