• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Falco/Marth

amnesiac

Smash Apprentice
hello ppl,

those videos have been taken almost one month ago, it was a kind of small tourney - we're both not really playing actively at the moment, but would like to have some constructive criticism:

(best of 3)

round 1, Marth ditto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOG7BSnlOWQ

round 2, Marth ditto #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlQEbBvWXg

round 3, Marth vs. Falco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYy33jfP4Xk

the things I noticed right away about me (I'm phRen) when reviewing them:
- those usmashes. they happened by accident almost every time, I was really going for the utilt.
- uthrow against marth, what the hell? 0o and I did it so often .. not gonna happen again.
- due to my lack of routine I unfortunately mess up short hops from time to time ..
- and some other details, but please be so kind and comment on the videos, thanks in advance!

btw, the title of each song is in the description of the video.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hold on a sec: I'm watching them now and will edit critiques in later :)

Edit: OK, here's what I see.

1) Practice your spacing. Don't worry though, every one has this problem. Marth has the best range in the game and if you can consistently stay withing tipper range you have the capability of attacking without being attacked. Yes, in a Marth ditto this isn't the case, but it is essential regardless. One good way to practice this (or to utilize it) is to learn how to short hop double forward air without moving forward (you can even move backwards when you are skilled enough). It is a wonderful defensive weapon, as well as a good combo starter.

2) When you get knocked up into the air, do not try (for the most part) to attack the other Marth waiting on the ground. Marth lives by getting opponents above him and his up tilt, forward air, and forward smash outweigh your down air and forward air. Try to land on a platform if he is still on the ground or air dodge to your best ability when he comes after you. Also, I could read very well when you were going to forward smash. Try mixing it up a little bit. Add some mind games; dash dance away and grab him, or forward tilt. Speaking of grabs; a forward throw to forward throw works at zero damage, and sometimes you can sneak in a forward smash if they DI wrong.

If I think of more later, I'll let you know. Feel free to ask questions, though I would recommend moving it to the Marth boards.

Best of luck improving :)

amnesiac

Smash Apprentice
first of all, thank you so much for your detailed reply!
I started watching smash vids again some time ago, there I noticed the double fthrow at marth matches, took a note of it already.
my spacing undoubtedly isn't very good - you may have noticed (I think at the second match) that I pulled off a backward fair once, but you mean two fairs while moving backwards, right? I rarely use the cstick when it comes to air attacks, but do you think I should start using it, especially in the training method you mentioned? or is it easily possible the way I do it at the moment, with control stick and a, that is?

you're right, I often end up trying to attack my opponent while still airborne, and I screw it up not only when playing against another marth. had huge problems with it when link was still my main .. thanks for pointing that out.

oh, the fsmashes: I sometimes got so nervous, I just wanted him off the stage >_< of course this is just plain stupid, I hope I won't make such mistakes next time. I should be able to handle the situation rather than trying to fsmash him at low % -,-
and last time I played I thought of that short dashdance, where you dash away from your opponent just to return right away (I think that's what you meant?), but I'm not really used to it yet.

thanks again for your response :)

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I don't really use the c-stick for aerials; it takes a little more skill and precision, but it is possible.

And yes, dash dancing is just slamming the joystick back and forth to change directions very quickly. It takes a while to get used to when to use it in a fight, but it helps a lot (especially with mind games). For example, you are right in his forward smash range and lure him into going for it. You quickly dash out of range, dash dance back towards him and you get a free grab. Undoubtedly you'll mess up at first, but just practice and you'll eventually get it :)

amnesiac

Smash Apprentice
ah, sorry if I didn't state it clearly enough, although I dashdance quite often in matches, I don't do those short ones yet (which are used to avoid a smash range for example, as you said) .. but I'll try implementing it next time I play, thanks =)

Top Bottom