• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth or Falcon?

Qvando

Smash Rookie
Hey guys (or girls), I need some internet wisdom. I enjoy playing Falcon because he's really fun, but I know I can't improve with him because he just doesn't suit my playstyle. My Marth on the other hand is slightly better than my falcon, and I know I can take him much further, but he's not as fun to me as Falcon because I enjoy playing super aggressive. Who should I main? Should I try to main them both?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Well, Falcon isn't exactly the best character to solo main. There's nothing wrong with maining him though and being competent in other characters. I main sheik but I keep my marth (and now fox) at a high enough level incase I'm ever struggling against peach or a space animal.

I/we can't tell you who to main though. Because to be quite frank you "should" Falco or Fox who are now are basically tied for the #1 spot since solo fox mains have been under performing as of late.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Imo, Falcon IS alot more fun and enjoyable, and watching people like Hax, SilentSpectre, and Scar, ya kinda start to realize that if you put enough time into the character, you can be good enough to destroy people while looking just OH so sexy ;P However, as a Marth main, recently dabbling with Falcon(Cuz christ, he's just so damn manly!) I do enjoy Marth quite a bit as well. Bottom line, dedication to Falcon makes him really strong, you'd have to work hard, but you should still be able to beat most characters/players.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
both falcon and marth are bad if you want to play super aggressive. Lots of dash dancing and baiting involved for both to be good.

D

Deleted member

falcon is way more frustrating and not as good as marth, that's reason enough imo

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
He is QUITE manly. Idunno, I think making ballsy, big plays off stage is a highlight of falcon's style, and that's aggressive to me. I think I misunderstood though. You're talking about from neutral game, he can't really do much to get in there, yes?

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I've actually gone through almost the exact predicament you're going through except there were like 10 characters (Mario, Doc, Cap, Falco, Fox, Samus, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Puff and Marth that were all candidates for my main at one point or another) before I settled on Marth. My choice to main Marth instead of others was because he excels at getting quick, efficient kills and rewards smart positional trap style play (not the others don't but this seems to be more apparent with Marth). Second reason I main Marth is because Mew2king's Marth was the first character I ever saw play at a professional level and was amazed at how fluid he was with him. Final and most important reason I play marth? He has a sword. Hitting things with a sword is fun and despite what people say Marth is just freaking cool.

Having said that in my opinion, main someone you're comfortable with. If you like playing with Falcon and accept that some matches are just going to be hard as all hell for you (Shiek, Falco) and you're willing to put in the work to be a smart Falcon then the choice is really up to you. I say Marth is better overall but there's a huge amount of bias going into that. Besides if we all just went with who was the best we'd all be maining Fox or Falco (oh wait...) I guess the only real question you need to ask yourself when choosing a main (as long as your choice is viable) is whether or not playing him feels natural. Sure you might be a little bit better with Marth now but that's not to say you can bring your Falcon to that level and beyond if you focus on him. Not trying to sway you in one direction or the other just make sure you're making the choice that you agree with and makes sense to you because in my opinion learning to play your character is much, MUCH more important than choosing to main character x or y. Good luck to you with whoever you choose though.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I love Falcon but am horrible with him, and my Marth is pretty good though so I play him but.
Follow your heart =)

VoidofNonsense

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to decide on something similar. I've been maining Falcon, but since my brother switched to Fox from Falco, he's been wrecking me, when before it was pretty even. I started as a Marth main, and sometimes I still play him or Falco, sometimes Gannon. I figure I have a much better chance if I switch back to Marth. I think if he suits your playstyle better, you should go with him. Falcon can get ***** if you play him wrong, it can be easy to SD, too. Marth has more going for him IMO, and you'll probably do better with him.

Hiyah

Smash Rookie
If i were you then i would probably main who i like because if you like playing with someone you will learn how to play with them. Still though, if you're good with Marth you should keep him in your back pocket.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Play who you find fun. Unless you plan on winning lots of money, there's no point in switching to a more powerful character unless you actually want to.

The most aggressive characters I find are falco and fox.

T-Murder

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a better character with more options but it really depends on your play style. If you are a beginner, I feel Marth has less of a learning curve but I've seen people do very well even with lower tier characters. For example, one of my best friends mains Ganondorf, he may not be the highest on the tier list but he makes ganondorf work. He does things with Ganondorf that I didn't even know were possible like dacus (well at least in project m, I don't think dacus was in melee). On the flip side, Captain Falcon does have the knee which is a really powerful attack which is really rewarding when you hit someone with it. Basically jsut play whoever you feel like and try to make it work.

D

Deleted member

I chose Falcon, simply because he's my favorite character, and I played with him casually up until May 2013 when I played him at a competitive level.

Marth has a way easier learning curve, and you sure as hell will win more tournaments as Marth than Falcon.

Falcon is a steep hill to climb, so really I'd go with Marth.

Last edited by a moderator:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
If you enjoy playing Falcon more, you should play Falcon.

How can you expect to improve if you aren't playing the character you have the most fun with?

Waverider900

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2578-4178-8486
Marth is the most graceful character in the game, Falcon is the most macho and wild character in the game. I main Falcon and second Marth so I can understand your indecisiion lol. Also I realize this is a delayed response, but still. Idk I find Falcon and Marth very similar in some ways, like someone said neither of them can be that aggro, they just move around a lot and throw out hitboxes to wall people out/ bait out attacks

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
both?
I think they're both pretty aggressive characters, in a somewhat unconventional sense. They're pretty similar; fast, long dashes, great juggles/combos. Marth has insane grab and tipper things, falcon is super fast and knee things. I find that I'm more consistent with marth but I think i can do cooler things with falcon.

Aidoony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sheikah2
Marth is better for aggresive play because of his speed and also he has the 4th longest wavedash and Falcon has the 17th longest. :D

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
That's about the opposite of true.
except for marth's being 4th
falcon is 20 iirc

Last edited:

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
That's about the opposite of true.
except for marth's being 4th
falcon is 20 iirc
Actually that's kinda accurate, if for the wrong reasons.

Generally falcon is stronger on defense and marth is stronger on offense.

Top Bottom