• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Match-Up Discussion (Update: ZSS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niala

Smash Ace
G'day Marth Boards! Wii Fit Mainer here, thanks for inviting us to the discussion @ Locuan Locuan

This match-up feels like a 50-50 to me, possibly a 55-45 for WFT definitely nothing more than that with my current understanding of the character's capacities. The great thing about this MU is that both characters have really strong tactics that take advantage of the weaknesses of the others.

For starters, let's talk about attack range. This is Marth's biggest friend in this MU, because WFT's hitboxes tend to hit around her rather than create space away from her. As a result, Marth SHFair/Bair walls are incredibly difficult for WFT to get into, her only real options being outspacing with Bair, possibly trying to sneak a Nair in (which is basically impossible,) or, of course, Shield Cancelling a Dash and then pressuring with grabs/jabs. Not only does this stale our only powerful aerial killer (being Bair unless you get caught by a Uair up high,) but it forces our approaches to be grounded 90% of the time against you, which can be easy to take advantage of. Even on the ground Marth has crazy range on his ftilt, dtilt, and Fsmash can kill very very early with a nicely spaced tipper. You have all the tools here to keep us out, which makes it hard.

Unfortunately for Marth, however, WFT just doesn't have to approach him. I can just throw the sun at you for days (huehue) and force you to come at me, which is the position I want to be in, and even planking with the soccer ball is really powerful. All in all, even though it doesn't really need to be stated, WFT has every tool in the projectile game.

Granted, your approach options are pretty powerful against us with your massive range advantage, but it does make it easier for us to get in if you're coming at us than vice-versa. And if we do get in, be worried-- WFT has true combos at low percents that deal upward of 50%, and her Nair combos into other aerials until around 100%, including a couple options (shffle nair1 into Dash USmash or HeaderSpike) that are true kill combos between 85%-100%, or even earlier with Deep Breathing. Remember to be wary when approaching WFT-- she grabs high so powershielding aerials and then grabbing OOS can catch you off guard, and her crouch can actually duck under several of your attacks and punish. On top of that, her jab cancels are really strong, and getting buried by a full jab combo is a quick way to lose 20%.

Now, even with those kill options, Marth definitely has good options of his own with Dolphin Slash coming out as quick as it does, and tippers, especially FSmash(being as it's insanely powerful) or USmash. However, I'd be remiss to say either character has better options than the other, but both are still powerful. Even uncommon kills like Shield Breaker, Ftilt, and DSmash for Marth or FSmash for WFT Can still take your stock very very early if either player gets a good read, so it's important to watch out. Also, be careful of her Ftilt! It comes out VERY quick, and has surprising range and kill power, PLUS it has a reverse ftilt which both combos into aerials at lower percent AND kills at high percents from center stage (shoots straight up.) Also, Deep Breathing turns UThrow into a kill at around 140 unstaled, so camping the ledge might be your best bet once she meditates. It only lasts 8 seconds though, so if you manage to get a good hit on her she'll waste most of it, too. Up to you how to approach it, just don't be reckless.

The offstage game, finally, is where I would debate giving that extra 5 points to WFT. With three spikes, an extra jump in the form of her header, better aerial mobility AND recovery, it's not hard to see why. Marth has very limited options offstage, his big advantage coming from, again, his range and the quickness of his Dolphin Slash. It's hard for other characters to gimp him simply because gets a lot from the few tools he does have, but against somebody with projectiles and the ability to chase very, very deep, he'll struggle to get back if he uses his jump too quickly. Now, this has always been a problem for Marth, and even though it's made better by the Shieldbreaker Aerial Push that he has and the new ledge mechanics, he's still in a position where gimping him is very possible and very scary, something WFT is adept at doing. His ledge game is, in and of itself, actually very, very good. Once he has access to the ledge WFT can't do much to keep him off it again without first returning to the neutral, but she can keep him from getting to it in the first place pretty well.

So, all in all, my advice is to keep her out. Once she's in your bubble, it's not easy to get her out of it without taking quite a bit of damage. Try to pressure her as safely as possible to avoid her projectile game, and go for quick kills if you think you can get them, but do not chase her offstage if you can avoid it. Hopefully my insight proves somewhat valuable, best of luck everybody. :4wiifit::4wiifitm::chuckle:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Are we going to do Marth vs Marth matchups? Is it weird that I main Marth and have trouble beating him? I swear Marth dittos are the worst type of ditto.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
Mirrors are pretty finicky imo. just did a Bo5 with another marth main i play with, so:

dtilt seems really useful, beats anything that isn't shield breaker.
That said, dancing blade puts up a nice wall but is beaten by approaching dtilt and nair
You can fsmash a lot of whiffed moves outside of normal fsmash range because Marth has like, no active frames and a ****ty disjoint. Honestly, i think Kara fsmash is really useful in this fight but if you get baited you might eat fsmash yourself.
I personally suggest only going offstage for gimps if you're losing in %. Going offstage you could easily get knocked away and throw away your stock. I mean, you're the same character with amazing offstage game. It's pretty much 50/50 unless the other guy is knocked really far away to the point that his recovery is more predictable.

Marth does have a very good counter so don't get caught by it. This guy was trying to mash it out through dancing blade hoping I'd drop it, and he fell for the 1-2-3 fsmash every time. So counter baits are definitely something to look for. I personally don't use counter in this match up because i think with the spacing involved it's much better to play without it. Tipped smashes will kill Marth early.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
I find WFT quite similar to the Luigi matchup, bar differences in ranged capabilities and total rewards for getting in our space (many thanks @ Niala Niala for providing information on this!). Marth will have to tread carefully around WFT's ranged game if she decides not to approach at all. Sun Salutation's long range and KO capacities after Deep Breathing make it a very prominent threat, and adding Header just complicates things. Once Marth finds himself in reach however, the tables shift. Poking and punishing WFT shouldn't be a problem when faced with her infamously wonky range. Like with other characters that suffer from a lack of effective range - Mario and Luigi, for example - when spacing properly and avoiding hard reads, there is no reason Marth should get jabbed, grabbed, or hit at all until the game resets to neutral. Avoid the edge: as was mentioned WFT has a respectable air game and unless we count with our second jump, getting back after a launch will not be an easy feat. Overall I believe WFT has the tools to wait us out and then capitalize painfully on aggresive play from us, but waiting out her Deep Breathing and approaching with caution allows us to do just the same to her. I want to say 50:50 because of a lack of enough actual matchup experience, but in theory WFT just shouldn't be getting past Marth's comfort zone nor successfully camping for prolonged periods of time. 60:40~55:45 Marth here imo.

--------------------

On the subject of Yoshi, again, I could see it as a even matchup, but I'm still slanting (slightly) towards 55:45 Marth's favor. Yes Yoshi can pressure us with eggs and punish our laggier or whiffed moves quite effectively, but with proper spacing from Marth Yoshi will simply fail to get in and out of our personal space unless he risks getting punished himself. It really comes down to who performs better, but our disjoint gives us an edge over Yoshi's hitboxes.

Also, adding to what little was said on the Luigi matchup, I'm looking at a 55:45~60:40 Marth's favor. Luigi is one of my more common matchups against regular tournament goers and he has two tools to make our game frustrating: Fireballs and Cyclone. Cyclone is less of an issue: moderately easy to punish at lower altitudes but can catch us by surprise so it should always be taken into account in the scenario we must react to it. Fireballs though, are a big annoyance. They can hit confirm into Luigi's grab and by the time he's done with follow-ups we've probably taken about 30%+ already and/or have been pushed off stage. But as has been noted, besides from Fireballs, Luigi has big problems actually getting in anyone's space. His traction doesn't help either with making some of our unsafer moves better on shield and whatnot. As long as Marth keeps moving with his maximum range in mind - and avoids getting hit by those Fireballs - Luigi shouldn't have the chance to get up close and personal. In summary, jump over, perfect shield, or just move away from Fireballs but at all cost AVOID them. Don't stick to the air, Luigi can quickly punish with Cyclone or a quick nair. Also if he recovers low follow and counter the incoming Cyclone. And lastly, make sure to consider the possibility of Super Jump Punch when we drop moves like our smashes or SB.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A few questions.
What exactly is special about dancing blade in this matchup anymore?
What situation are you smacking through yoshis eggs and hitting him with the same move, and which grounded moves are you doing this with?
What do you mean by his shield dies faster, and who's shield are you comparing it to?
Why exactly do you think Yoshi loses?

General matchup stuff with some yoshi perspective. You're neither slightly leaning more to juggle because you do have options for all of our options, but they aren't great and prone to getting baited, and your mobility lets us get away with things that would never work on characters like wario.

We both need to respect eachothers shield game and shield pressure game at the same time if that makes sense. The one with less experience against the other character will probably have a rough time. So for you just be aware that we have the ability to punish anything laggywith a dash attack, and that we will 100% punish anything badly spaced with a really easy oos nair. As for when we're attacking your shield, Dair egglay and down b will nearly 100% of the time beat out your shield if you let it connect. As for our shield pressure, fair, eggs and egglay are all safe on your shield if they're allowed to hit it, but you can beat out each individual option. Dair will shield poke 99% of the time and beats spot dodges, but the start up lag makes it easy to beat out. If you're sensing a dair be sure to fair or dolphin smash before it comes out (maybe roll but thats kinda iffy). Downb is a shield breaker. Do not be a hero and try to just hold shield. Spot dodge or something.

Its easy and safe to edge guard you, but we'll more or less never gimp you. If we gimped you it was your fault.
You can edge guard us realtively easy too, but if you go off stage, we're probably getting back onstage for free. If you're going to go offstage after us, try to go for a gimp. Because its really not worth trying for anything else.

I think its an even matchup that depends more on the players than anything else.
1. Transcended priority / including in the air
2. While they're doing dash up-bs. Our tilts and fsmash
3. I may be mistaken but does Yoshi's shield not have less health than other characters or is it 50 like all else?
4. I didn't say Yoshi loses.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
1. Transcended priority / including in the air
2. While they're doing dash up-bs. Our tilts and fsmash
3. I may be mistaken but does Yoshi's shield not have less health than other characters or is it 50 like all else?
4. I didn't say Yoshi loses.
1: Fair enough, but imo Dancing blade just isn't as safe as it used to be in the matchup. On the ground if we shield you're getting nair'd and in the air i feel like you have better options most of the time.
2: Okay yeah this is true. Just wanted to make sure. That's why we just avoid grounded eggs for the most part in this matchup unless we're setting you up on your landing or something. You'll be dealing with more SH eggs than anything else. Best to re-position around them in Marths case. Or hitting him before you think he's gonna egg.
3: Nope same shield unless it got nerfed again. Sometimes I feel like its healthier than most, but that might just be because I'm more used to it.
4: My bad then must have misread. I thought you said it was 60:40 Marth favor. What do you think it is?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's probably like 60:40 Yoshi's advantage in the REALEST of senses. I think Marth's kit is still effective against Yoshi enough that even with his weakened state / terrible-ness.

(Where I think of match ups like Sheik and Diddy being towards the hard counter level)

Last edited:

Tantei

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedSouji
3DS FC
1375-7405-0216
Could anyone help to enlighten me on the Marth VS Shulk matchup? I keep losing to my friend who mains Shulk. His kills consist of F-smashes, and counters. I know I have to play spacey but I end up getting more damage done than dealt. I've watched ZeRo's video on Marth - For Glory! and still struggle greatly with this specific matchup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Tantei Tantei . While we have not discussed the Shulk match-up on the Marth Thread, we did cover it on the Lucina Boards Match-up Thread. Due to Marth and Lucina's similarities this could help you out. You can view the thread by clicking the following link.

Additionally, the next discussion period begins. This time we face against fighting/steel type Pokémon Lucario! Let's get started!

Last edited:

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
From what I can tell lucario has the advantage at high percents however at early percents he is terrible and most of his moves don't have priority so Marth has more priority at early percent but the trump card in Marth's favor is if Marth is able to get a tipper Fsmash at 50 or 60 percent Lucario will die so you can keep Lucario at early percents with the tipper but if you let Lucario get above 75% you will get camped by Aura Spheres and Side B's and most likely Die but if you keep Lucario at early percents and KO him with a tipper at 50 to 60 percent. I would think it would be 40/60 in lucario's favor because despite the fact that Marth can keep Lucario at early percents and can KO him early it's quite easy to let him go into high percents and camp with aura sphere and side B.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Lucario has the advantage most of the time on stage, and generally in the MU. Rage is really important for both characters, but good luck staying alive at high percents. Lucario is so gross. Only thing Marth can really do to hope to win is get Lucario off stage and hope he lands with Up B. The landing lag on it horrendous.

Its not a terribly uneven matchup, but it is in Lucarios favor, Imho. Ive not had tons of XP with it though. Ill try to make a better writeup when my head is more in the game, but I just got trashed so Im not in the best of moods. I'd say like, 40:60 Lucario's advantage or 35:65 Lucario's advantage.

Its not huge. You can shield and punish most of his actions when he's at low percents, and if you can get him to land with up-b, you can get a free early kill. you also have your Uthrow to kill him when he gets to higher percents, if you can manage to get into his guard. Shouldnt be /too/ difficult. But be careful around his neutral B and side B. His counter is alright, its not as derpy as greninjas, but its still pretty derpy. Also I dont think you can grab it. Just wait it out if you see it, unless you're in the air, in which case, hit it from below and FF. He'll go flying, and possibly SD, or have to recover- which is your chance to kill him.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The match up is not that good for Lucario (i.e. hard countering us).
His lower range and our boosted kill power are pretty helpful.
Various degrees of counter bait, ability to edge guard heavily and not being overly deficient in neutral.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I should have posted the link in the Lucario boards so they could help us out, but I forgot. Sorry guys, my mistake. Going forward with that now. I'll extend the period for two days.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I hope I'm not digressing too much, but how much are you guys considering custom moves when discussing a MU? From what I've read I haven't really seen mention and a few of marth's customs might change an outcome.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I hope I'm not digressing too much, but how much are you guys considering custom moves when discussing a MU? From what I've read I haven't really seen mention and a few of marth's customs might change an outcome.
It can certainly be added to the discussion. If there is input that you may have regarding a certain match-up with customs, feel free to add it in, just make sure to specify when talking about customs :)

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
It can certainly be added to the discussion. If there is input that you may have regarding a certain match-up with customs, feel free to add it in, just make sure to specify when talking about customs :)
Thank you for the fast reply,

I think I'll start working this and hopefully I can bring some new info to the table. It's going to take some time, I'll try to post info on already done MUs when I get the chance.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Thank you for the fast reply,

I think I'll start working this and hopefully I can bring some new info to the table. It's going to take some time, I'll try to post info on already done MUs when I get the chance.
It can be considered, but taking into consideration the fact that most tournaments (including Apex) don't allow customs at the moment, as a competitive minded body we arent thinking much about them.
Sure, DA and DJ can change a couple things. CS can even sort of combo if I remember right.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys! This discussion period we will focus on the Bowser Jr. match-up. Let's get started!

As a side note this discussion period will be longer than usual. I will be at APEX 2015 this weekend so my time will be limited. I'll update the thread once I get back. Now unto the discussion!

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
It can be considered, but taking into consideration the fact that most tournaments (including Apex) don't allow customs at the moment, as a competitive minded body we arent thinking much about them.
Sure, DA and DJ can change a couple things. CS can even sort of combo if I remember right.
I'm not interested in doing this for anything but the future meta so it's okay that not all people will even care. With that said I believe that people are going to want to know their best options vs their worst MUs at some point, so why not start gathering information now while we are still learning things?

I've got an entire skype group dedicated to weekly tournaments that allow customs. Also I'm sure people on the boards will be more than eager to help. No more digressing as this is a board for mu's and this isn't helping that at all. Thanks for input pm me if you feel the need to talk about it more.

Maybe I should start a topic for this?

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
bowser jr main here.

marth's tippers can deal a lot of damage to jr if they hit his head. he's faster than jr and well-spaced is stornger too. don't fall for mechakoopa tricks, use it against him.

if you can predict his bigger attacks counter is godly. Jr's grab is possibly the worst in game (only competition is pacman, who has better range at least). if you are fearful of your attacks being unsafe on shield,, experiment with them. what's unsafe against a shiek could be safe vs jr, for example.

Jr's also generally slow and can't really deal well with pressure, landing shield breaks on him is easier than in most others.

be very careful if you get offstage. jr's great at dealing death from above the pits, and marth doesn't really have a great offstage game to compete with it. you can try to counter if you know whats going for you as i said before.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I'm not interested in doing this for anything but the future meta so it's okay that not all people will even care. With that said I believe that people are going to want to know their best options vs their worst MUs at some point, so why not start gathering information now while we are still learning things?

I've got an entire skype group dedicated to weekly tournaments that allow customs. Also I'm sure people on the boards will be more than eager to help. No more digressing as this is a board for mu's and this isn't helping that at all. Thanks for input pm me if you feel the need to talk about it more.

Maybe I should start a topic for this?
Nah man if you have useful info to say about the MU with customs, go ahead and say it here. Just make clear who you're talking about.

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
I am wondering what your thoughts/break down on the Ganondorf match up? I really would like to hear a Marth main’s perspective on it. It is of the more difficult MUs for me but I am not means a great Ganondorf player. So in my effort to get better I am just trying understand how other mains view their match up with Ganondorf.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
We did not have a lot of discussion for the Bowser Jr. Match-up; we will analyze it once more at a later date. Thanks to the Bowser Jr. Main who chimed in though! It's always helpful to have you guys giving your input :) On another note, this discussion period we will focus on the Ganondorf match-up! It will also help @ Scraptor Scraptor out! Lets get started.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
As a Ganondorf main, I feel this MU is 50-50. Tippers kill very early, but Ganondorf is comfortable getting in Marth's face, and his smashes kill Marth just as early. Neither character stops the other from approaching, and both have good combos on one another. It should be noted that approaching Ganon with aerial Shield Breaker is a very bad idea, as all Ganon has to do to answer this is use Warlock Punch when he sees you charging it. He doesn't even need a read, it's a guarantee even on reaction. Marth's disjointed attacks are good for spacing, but be wary of using laggy attacks, as Ganondorf can Wizard Foot punish from outside Marth's range, and if he gets a Flame Choke, Marth is one of the characters Ganondorf can down-tilt on missed tech AND tech in place. Roll away/roll behind can be answered with another flame choke, extending the tech chase and adding more damage. Marth is pretty much at Ganondorf's mercy during a flame choke tech chase, so mix up your tech roll direction so he goes the wrong way. It should be noted that you CAN answer it with getup attack if you think he will Down-tilt, but don't get predictable with it, as Ganondorf can jump over it and Down-B for an easy kill if he reads it.

Counter is an extreme risk, extreme reward move in this matchup. Pretty much all of Ganon's attacks are kill moves, which means countering any of them is going to send him flying. That said, if he knows you will counter, he can bait it out with a charged smash, and that will more than likely end in Marth's death, so it must be used sparingly. Counter also does nothing against Flame Choke, which is a command grab.

If Ganon gets you in a juggle, don't try to challenge his up-air. Reset to the ledge or counter if you know he's not baiting you. Ganon's up-air is disjointed too, and is MUCH faster than Marth's down-air.

Don't recover high against Ganondorf unless he has decided to chase you offstage. Up tilt on the ledge WILL kill you if you don't sweetspot the ledge on your way up. Be aware that shielding the up-tilt is death for Marth, because it is an automatic shield breaker, and Ganondorf can kill Marth from 10% with an aerial B-reverse warlock punch.

If he goes for a disrespectful up-tilt or Warlock Punch and you aren't in some sort of lag frames, counter it. It's a sure kill. Don't counter it too early, though, or he'll just laugh as his attack lands and shadowrealms you.

And of course, be extremely careful if you decide to edgeguard him, and DO NOT stand near the ledge if he's offstage. Flame Choke can grab you easily unless your timing is good enough to land a tipper fsmash on reaction -- if you miss the tipper, he's already grabbed you and dragged you offstage to your demise. He wins during a suicide KO every time. If you do land the tipper Fsmash, however, pat yourself on the back, as that was an incredible bait and punish that he cannot possibly recover from.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I would be very amused to get @Emblem Lord in on this.

I believe this matchup is EVEN. Ganon and Marth to be honest want to play the exact same game, and accomplish it with differently distributed numbers. Win the midrange, juggle, edgeguard. Ganondorf the way I see it performs better on the ground with his longer ranged D-tilt, DA, and Wizkick, and his N-air is also a strong spacing tool in this matchup that can hit Marth easily if he's not crouching as well as trade favorably with Marth's aerials. Overall in the air though Marth can give Ganondorf slightly more trouble in neutral as it can be difficult for Ganondorf to reactively punish Marth's fullhop spacing without a powershield.

Both characters can do absolutely disgusting stuff to each other offstage. Ganondorf has his N-air and U-air as primary tools for covering options low and high, both of which can snuff Marth's recovery especially if Marth has expended his midair jump. On the flipside, Marth's low edgeguards with F-air and Up-B are also pretty dangerous as he can reach deceptively deep due to his strong vertical recovery.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Hello there Hero Kings, a Dark Lord giving his input. I think this MU is about 50:50.

Marth can outpace Ganon fairly easily, you have better mobility so you can dictate the pace of the match and if you space your aerials well enough you can safely poke our shield with us being on the defensive. Not to mention your quick aerials make a hefty juggle game out of Ganon's meat and you have decent off stage games in F-air or D-air. Plus tippers man, that thing can kill us really early if we are not careful.

That said, Ganon has enough range and a lot of power so you really have to respect his options. We also have very quick aerials and ours are a lot more powerful than yours. We will trade a lot of hits(a well timed Fair or Uair for example) and you do not want to trade with us because we have a much higher damage output. Not to mention, I find our offstage game a bit scarier than Marth's because we usually only need one or two good hits in, while Marth will have to work for his edgeguard a bit more as one Fair wont be enough to gimp us and landing Dair is really hard against a smart Ganon. We also have decent juggle game against you with D-tilt and D-throw setting it up so we can rack damage up very quickly and kill very fast as well, once we get in.

Edit: Damm I got beaten by A2 and Jmac, they already posted their ratios. Ah well..

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I don't get successfully edge guarded by a Marth often, just mix up high and low recovery and intimidate with uairs and choke. Marth juggles better but I don't think he can maintain it well often. We have more reliable kill options and arguably better edge game. Marth spaces better but really it's not enough imo, the lag on his fair makes it pretty easy to get in.

I just don't think Marth has anything particularly advantageous over Ganon, and I think a lot of what he does we can do more reliably like edge guard, ko, combo/string, etc. I think we have the advantage at either 55:45 or 60:40, even the best Marths I've fought have imo been at a disadvantage.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I would be very amused to get @Emblem Lord in on this.

I believe this matchup is EVEN. Ganon and Marth to be honest want to play the exact same game, and accomplish it with differently distributed numbers. Win the midrange, juggle, edgeguard. Ganondorf the way I see it performs better on the ground with his longer ranged D-tilt, DA, and Wizkick, and his N-air is also a strong spacing tool in this matchup that can hit Marth easily if he's not crouching as well as trade favorably with Marth's aerials. Overall in the air though Marth can give Ganondorf slightly more trouble in neutral as it can be difficult for Ganondorf to reactively punish Marth's fullhop spacing without a powershield.

Both characters can do absolutely disgusting stuff to each other offstage. Ganondorf has his N-air and U-air as primary tools for covering options low and high, both of which can snuff Marth's recovery especially if Marth has expended his midair jump. On the flipside, Marth's low edgeguards with F-air and Up-B are also pretty dangerous as he can reach deceptively deep due to his strong vertical recovery.
I'm with A2Z. Instead of typing a paragraph though, I'm gonna make a scorecard

Air Game: 60:40 Marth

Ground Game: 60:40 Ganondorf

(Onstage) Killing: 55:45 Ganondorf

Grabs: 50:50

Offstage: 50:50

I feel like the ground is where we have the advantage, so Ganondorf's strategy should be to read Marth's aerial movement and try to catch him as he lands. There are plenty of ways for Marth to land with lag, so baiting these is key. Both play the passive game, but I think that Ganondorf, being on terra firma, has a slight advantage vs. Marth's passive game, as Marth has to land eventually. However, Marth's speed and range in the air make up for this, bringing the MU back to 50:50 for me.

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
We have a slight advantage.

Far different from how the two faced off in Brawl, in Smash 4 Ganon has the better tools.

Ganon does particularly well against characters he's not forced to approach, and even more so against a character like Marth who also doesn't have a projectile.

Marth cannot outrange a good Ganon who shields well in the neutral. Ganon will have to watch out for dash grabs, which is easier to do against a character like Marth who has a hard time positioning Ganon where he would want.

Ganon's pokes and hits will do a lot of racking up with damage, and each hit is dangerous for Marth. I believe Ganon has quite a lot of time in between hits to mix up his kill options.

Marth could simply roll away from Ganon after flame choke to avoid all follow ups, but if he rolls towards, Ftilt and Dtilt will hit. Marth could be near the edge and be forced to roll towards or getup attack (or even roll away) and get hit by a Ftilt or another attack.

55:45 Ganon's favour.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
We have a slight advantage.

Far different from how the two faced off in Brawl, in Smash 4 Ganon has the better tools.

Ganon does particularly well against characters he's not forced to approach, and even more so against a character like Marth who also doesn't have a projectile.

Marth cannot outrange a good Ganon who shields well in the neutral. Ganon will have to watch out for dash grabs, which is easier to do against a character like Marth who has a hard time positioning Ganon where he would want.

Ganon's pokes and hits will do a lot of racking up with damage, and each hit is dangerous for Marth. I believe Ganon has quite a lot of time in between hits to mix up his kill options.

Marth could simply roll away from Ganon after flame choke to avoid all follow ups, but if he rolls towards, Ftilt and Dtilt will hit. Marth could be near the edge and be forced to roll towards or getup attack (or even roll away) and get hit by a Ftilt or another attack.

55:45 Ganon's favour.
Ironically, the roles are reversed from Brawl. Now it's Marth whose bane is shields. XD

Also, it's hilarious to me how we all just stormed this thread.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Ironically, the roles are reversed from Brawl. Now it's Marth whose bane is shields. XD

We should do as the Zelda boards and take over every other puny boards.:bowser::troll:

Also, I want to add, while Marth has to work harder for his edgeguards, it is nothing to sneeze at because of how quick his aerials are, though sometimes Ganon can reverse the situation, if Marth takes a bit more risk as we can trump the ledge and start reverse Uair all day. The same goes for Marth as well, as his Up-b can stage spike us, if we don't tech it.

Marth in neutral can be a pain, if he spaces well but once he is at a disadvantage...hoo boy prepare for all kinds of things to Flame Choke chase to Uair juggles to powerful edgeguarding, not to mention how fast we can kill. Marth can capitalize on a disadvantaged Ganon too but not quite as hard, so it's even for me.

Last edited:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961

I know right? "Hey you guys wanna offer your opinions on Marth's matchup?" and we all went OOOOOOOH GANON MATCHUP DISCUSSIONS!

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I know right? "Hey you guys wanna offer your opinions on Marth's matchup?" and we all went OOOOOOOH GANON MATCHUP DISCUSSIONS!
We all took off as fast as possible.

Admittedly with Ganondorf's dash speed it did take awhile to get here....

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Oh, that's why there were so many bodies in the road while I was getting here.
You trampled them I assume? XD

Seriously guys, this is awesome. We need to storm other characters' threads more. Particularly that pesky Hero's. :p

I don't get successfully edge guarded by a Marth often
I don't always get edgeguarded by a Marth,

but when I do, it isn't pretty.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
You trampled them I assume? XD

Seriously guys, this is awesome. We need to storm other characters' threads more. Particularly that pesky Hero's. :p
Ask the Zelda boards. They are doing that already and they get ton of followers.

I apologize for being off topic Marth boards. I want to add that Marth can also D-tilt poke our shield safely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom