• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth F-air > F-air Combo (Mid-air Only / May be DI-able)

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
I discovered that you can true combo Marth's f-air to f-air. It just has to be in mid-air. Here are some specifics:

On Final Destination, Marth (me) is at 60% and Lucina (CPU) is at 68%. I forward throw Lucina (4%) putting her airborne. While she is still airborne I non-tipper f-aired her (7%) and then non-tipper faired again (7%) and the game registered the f-airs as a true combo. I've true combo'd it into both a tipper and non-tipper.

I was incorrect about the grounded part and must of hit the CPU during it's recovery from off-stage. It is 100% do-able though. The trick is to catch them towards the end of the duration of the first f-air with around the bottom area of the attack. It is important to note that the forward throw is NOT part of the combo. It's just how I put the characters in mid-air. In training mode you can just set the CPU to jump.

This means that so long as you and your opponent are mid-air and aren't going to hit the ground this will be a true combo. I'll start testing when it works on other characters as well.

The start and end percentages are for the first hit of f-air only. The second will true combo after.

For Lucina, one of the mid-weight characters I was able to true combo f-air to f-air from 71% to 86%.

For Jigglypuff, the lightest character, I was able to true combo f-air to f-air from 61% to 76%

For King Dedede, the heaviest character, I was able to true combo f-air to f-air from 80% to 101%

EDIT: A friend of mine confirmed that this combo was present before patch 1.0.5.
EDIT: Works on human players in the mid percent ranges.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I tested it in the previous version. I want to clarify that you can do this since prior to 1.05. However, if the first F-air hits as a sour-spot in mid-air close to the swords hilt, you can throw out a second F-air and it will register as a combo in training mode as long as the opponent is in hit-stun. This is of course, assuming no DI. It has yet to be tested with different DI inputs. I also want to clarify that this is not Short Hop Double Fair.

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Regardless of DI, it's still nice to know as an option. Thanks for the info. :4marth:Forever!!!

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
@ Locuan Locuan , I never claimed this was a short hop double f-air, I claimed that it was a double f-air combo. I have performed this multiple times against a real opponent and have had them unable to DI it out in the mid percentages of the combo working. At the earliest to highest percentages I think they might be able to though. I suspect that if they DI in the mid percentages it may auto space the tipper. I'm going to change the title from "training mode" to "may be DI-able" for this.

EDIT: Fixed some wording.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Whomever is changing the title of my post here, I have performed this multiple times against a real opponent and have had them unable to DI it out in the mid percentagess of the combo working. I suspect that if they DI it up it may auto space the tipper actually.

@ Locuan Locuan , I never claimed it was a short hop double f-air, I claimed that is was a double f-air combo.
I was the one who edited the title of the thread in order to avoid misinformation. You had not specified in the original title/post that you had done testing against human opponents which is why I mentioned Training Mode in the title. Regarding the Short Hop Double F-air, the way you had worded it might have caused confusion. Some users might have interpreted as a Short Hop Double F-air which is why I made that post as to clarify that. I know that you personally have stated before that it is not a Short Hop Double F-air :) However, we need to make things clear when dealing with information like this, again to avoid misinterpretation by others. I am sorry if I seem a bit strict, however when dealing with data I am very meticulous. My apologies, it's just in my nature.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
I was the one who edited the title of the thread in order to avoid misinformation. You had not specified in the original title/post that you had done testing against human opponents which is why I mentioned Training Mode in the title. Regarding the Short Hop Double F-air, the way you had worded it might have caused confusion. Some users might have interpreted as a Short Hop Double F-air which is why I made that post as to clarify that. I know that you personally have stated before that it is not a Short Hop Double F-air :) However, we need to make things clear when dealing with information like this, again to avoid misinterpretation by others. I am sorry if I seem a bit strict, however when dealing with data I am very meticulous. My apologies, it's just in my nature.
I prefer your meticulous and overly scrutinizing style. I'm actually mostly grateful you we're the first one to hit my last post at late night before morning hit.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
I'm going to agree with Locuan that this was possible to do in previous versions of the game. In fact this is a legit string/combo if you sour spot Uair into FH Fair DJ Fair.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I'd love to see this as a video. For some reason I can't get the combo counter in training to register it as a 2 hits. Is this just cause the counter doesn't count all frames of vulnerability?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember doing this few times out of instinct, but sometimes via rising aerial in second F-Air to pull a 3rd F-Air as I fall. But yes, it's there.

I think one Lucina-player did it against me once as well. Just don't get too close to the ground or make sure there's plenty air below when you find the opportunity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom