• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth: Did he just trip over himself?

Frames

DI
Yea, that's an ink drop, it's an advanced technique that was discovered at E for All, and every character can do it i think.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
...lol?

Well, I think all characters could get that, now people won't be running over there and there like maniacs... like it was used to in Melee.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
Lol. The return of the infamous Ink Drop.
Yeah this was discovered at E 4 All. No one really talked about it.
You're the first one to bring it up in a LONG time.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
someone call in inks, im sure he can explain this "phenomenon"

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
There has been one other observation in a video since the Japanese release. It was with Link. Was on another forum though; they didn't know anything about Inkdropping and I wasn't about to tell them.

Frames

DI
so does it have a practical purpose? like invincibility frames? and do we know when it will happen?
basically from what i know, the trip isn't so much important as the cancel that you do, the people at e for all said that you could cancel the ink drop into a dash pivot, so you could do reverse grabs and smashes and stuff, also they said they could cause the drop by doing a poor dash dance or something, i'm not sure...

Zodiac

Smash Master
Alright if its an advanced technique called an "ink drop" what the eff does it do for you?

MK-Ultra

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the ink drop is particularly an "advanced technique" or even a technique at all. Rather, just an occurrence. Like cutting your finger while slicing a bagel, MIRITE?!

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
The term "ink drop" was a joke that Gimpyfish started.

And speculatively, I really doubt it's random. I mean it's possible to program it that way, and I know Sakurai wants to promote "chance." But I'm confident the precise mechanics will be discovered with sufficient expereimentation.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
!!!! lol exactly overall it was a joke made by gimpy.

I happened to know how to do the tripping and did it constantly and we were having fun giving techniques to people's names, so gimpy named it the ink drop. Then at one point I did a pivot out of a long dash, but I had no idea how it was done, so we all assumed I cancelled the drop. The idea got a lot of hype, but we weren't able to duplicate it.

>_> I rarely come this section of the boards, but the few times that i do there's always someone mentioning it <_<.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
I have a hard time explaining it, but it's done almost like a moonwalk (moonwalk movement, plus a dash towards the opposite direction). I will admit i can't do it consistently, so maybe I'm doing more than i have to, since i don't know the exact movement. I'm sure I'll get it down within minutes of owning brawl, it sucked at e for all cause all matches were 2 minutes long and noobs just wanted to have fun with items.

edit: funny, i happen to use marth >_>

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Now that I have the game, I can't duplicate the trip consistently. It almost seems random, but it always happens when suddenly tapping forward. I've tried just tapping back and forth rapidly in training mode and not tripping at all. But other times, I'll just tap Forward+B and suddenly trip.

Oh, and you can't cancel it. It serves no useful purpose, it seems to be either a punishment for doing something wrong, or its entirely random and just another one of Sakurai's attempts to inject randomness into the game. I've searched several Smash boards and found no one who can explain how to reliably do it (and no, its not just from doing a failed dash dance or moonwalk, most of the times when I have tripped I wasn't even dashing, I was just standing there and tapped forward+A or forward+B and fell over).

At this point, rather than being upset about Gimpy's little joke with the name, I'm upset this "move" exists at all. All its done so far is irritate several people in our smash group who keep accidentally tripping randomly with no idea why. I wish Sakurai would update the Dojo with an explanation of tripping and, rather than how to do it, how NOT to do it, because you can't cancel it and all it does is prevent you from doing the move you intended to do. I almost wonder if it was put in as a way to spite tournament players trying to get rid of random elements.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
So far from what I've played, the tripping is entirely random. It seems to occur while trying to initiate a dash though.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Now that I have the game, I can't duplicate the trip consistently. It almost seems random, but it always happens when suddenly tapping forward. I've tried just tapping back and forth rapidly in training mode and not tripping at all. But other times, I'll just tap Forward+B and suddenly trip.

Oh, and you can't cancel it. It serves no useful purpose, it seems to be either a punishment for doing something wrong, or its entirely random and just another one of Sakurai's attempts to inject randomness into the game. I've searched several Smash boards and found no one who can explain how to reliably do it (and no, its not just from doing a failed dash dance or moonwalk, most of the times when I have tripped I wasn't even dashing, I was just standing there and tapped forward+A or forward+B and fell over).

At this point, rather than being upset about Gimpy's little joke with the name, I'm upset this "move" exists at all. All its done so far is irritate several people in our smash group who keep accidentally tripping randomly with no idea why. I wish Sakurai would update the Dojo with an explanation of tripping and, rather than how to do it, how NOT to do it, because you can't cancel it and all it does is prevent you from doing the move you intended to do. I almost wonder if it was put in as a way to spite tournament players trying to get rid of random elements.
If it is random, I hope that it's possible to patch it out of the game... that's just 110% horrible...

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
From the video's I've seen, it seems to occur when trying to dash really fast when you were still.

So for instance, Marth's on the left of the field, Wolf's on the right, Marth's just landed and he's trying to land and dash immediatly at him, but trips.

Thats my 30 cents.

7thFonon

Smash Apprentice
It happens to me, but I find no advantage of using it. You can't attack. You can't block. You can't Jump. All you can do is roll left or right.... And you can already roll while in a normal stance, so there is no advantage there either.

I'll tell you right now, that is the worst "techinique/ name for a technique" that I've heard of in a while. That's just horrible.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
One of Sakurai's many pranks

What, you think ROB was the only one?

J18

Smash Journeyman
i remember reading something about the ink drop. it has something to do with dashdancing and such.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
It happens to me, but I find no advantage of using it. You can't attack. You can't block. You can't Jump. All you can do is roll left or right.... And you can already roll while in a normal stance, so there is no advantage there either.

I'll tell you right now, that is the worst "techinique/ name for a technique" that I've heard of in a while. That's just horrible.
After you fall, press A or B to attack out of it.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
as in breaking out of an enemy's combo? i seriously doubt that, despite the possibility. I just don't know how a character tripping would help them stop getting pummeled by an enemy.
I'm pretty sure he meant it's there to stop you from comboing for too long, or make it harder on you.

until someone can find what determines your chances of tripping it's only annoying.

Irae

Smash Cadet
I REALLY hope you can turn this off in the item switch or something... Wait... Could it be that an item causes the tripping... You know, like the bannana peel? I hope that's all it is...

otter

Smash Ace
It's obviously Sakurai's little way of saying "Don't dash dance! You're ruining MY GAME!"
It's not an advantage, it's a new approach to the "cheap" argument that I never thought we'd see. The producer getting directly involved :psycho:

Just like declining damage and knockback is aimed at laser spammers and sword tippers.

Top Bottom