• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Combos Out of D-air

Do you think these combos could possibly be used in competitive play?

• Total voters

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
  • So, I've recently been testing Marth's buffed d-air(less landing lag), and it turns out that it's actually useful for combos now!
Anyways, Marth can now follow up with a lot of moves from d-air, and most of those follow ups are true combos that result in a tipper and even a kill!(Note:you must be directly above the opponent to perform this,and must fastfall and immediately D-air. By doing so you can follow up.)Here is a list of some TRUE combos on all weight classes.These are all follow ups from d-air.I will be adding on combos from time to time.Up and Forward smash follow ups lead to kills(Forward smash will if the opponent is at the edge). @RisingVexx found a wonderful set up into these combos, go check it out!
http://smashboards.com/threads/marths-high-damage-combo-and-kill-setups.413031/
  • Super Heavyweight ( :4bowser: :4dk: :4dedede: :4charizard: :4ganondorf:)
-Up smash tipper (93-100%)
-Up tilt tipper (85-97%)
-Forward smash tipper (83-90%)
-Forward tilt tipper (80-90%)
-Up tilt (67-84%)
-Full hop Neutral air (76-95%)
-Up air (76-140%, can tip if spaced well)
-Forward tilt (62-72%)
-Forward air (73-130%, you may need to full hop after 80%)
  • Heavyweight ( :4bowserjr: :4samus: :4myfriends: :4wario2: :4rob: :4falcon: :4link: :4yoshi: :4ryu::4shulk: :4megaman: :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: :4lucario:)
-Up smash tipper (90-98%)
-Up tilt tipper (84-94%)
-Forward smash tipper
-Forward tilt tipper (72-79%)
-Short hop up air tipper (90-94%)
-Up tilt (60-80%)
-Full hop neutral air (72-108%)
-Up air (62-120%, can tip if spaced well)
-Forward tilt (60-80%)
-Forward air (71-119%)
  • Middleweight (:4mario::4drmario: :4villager: :4luigi::4wiifit: :4pit: :4darkpit: :4robinf: :4sonic: :4feroy: :4pacman: :4greninja: :4ness: :4lucas: :4tlink: :4diddy: :4palutena: :4duckhunt: :4marth: :4lucina: :4peach:)
-Up smash tipper (80-92%)
-Up tilt tipper (73-80%)
-Forward smash tipper (67-75%)
-Up tilt (61-68%)
-Full hop neutral air (66-98%)
-Up air (61-101%, can tip if spaced well)
-Forward tilt (65-76%)
-Forward air (74-105%)
  • Featherweight (:4zelda: :4sheik: :4falco: :4littlemac: :4zss: :4metaknight: :4fox: :4pikachu: :4olimar::rosalina: :4kirby: :4gaw:)
-Up smash tipper (75-81%)
-Up tilt tipper (64-75%)
-Fsmash tipper (61-68%)
-Up tilt (51-63%)
-Full hop neutral air (60-84%)
-Up air (65-98, can tip if spaced well)
  • Ballonweight (:4mewtwo: :4jigglypuff:)
-Up smash tipper (62-65%)
-Up tilt tipper (54-59%)
-Fsmash tipper (45-52%)
-Up tilt (43-50%)

Apparently, sour spot d-air (sending in a 80 degree angle) can also combo, credit goes to @ Vipermoon Vipermoon for the info. Unfortunately, the timing is very tight and I could not manage to combo with anything at the moment.

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
very cool.

my only concern is that teching is easy af in this game and when i dair people (this happens a ton with zelda and falco too) people will tech just from buffering their shield, which just so happens to be a popular option in this game.

dairing is still a pretty unsafe option. i usually only dair OoS and retreat.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Yeah, you'll probably have to catch them off guard with this. The risk is very high, but very rewarding and it can lead to kills.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Thanks for the testing.

Most of the Dair spike combos existed last patch but they are way more consistent and have much larger windows this patch.

Dair sourspot also creates combos. You can get Utilt at least. Haven't tried others.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
You're welcome.:b:

There were other combos Pre-patch?I did not know that. But since the buff, there are going to be a lot more different approaches with Dair. Also, I forgot about the sourspot! I will also be testing that.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Oh sweet thanks.

Yeah I'm sure there were more but it comboed into Fsmash, Usmash, Utilt, and Uair last patch.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Good stuff here. Definitely going to practice this stuff soon and try to apply it. More kill setups are always nice.

Maybe this should be added to the CRT?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah I don't see why not

I guess we'll call @Locuan

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Good stuff here. Definitely going to practice this stuff soon and try to apply it. More kill setups are always nice.

Maybe this should be added to the CRT?
Sure, that would be great!

Thanks for the testing.

Most of the Dair spike combos existed last patch but they are way more consistent and have much larger windows this patch.

Dair sourspot also creates combos. You can get Utilt at least. Haven't tried others.
Also, for reference, in which hitbox did you manage to combo into u tilt from sourspot dair? Any where in the animation in particular that lead into that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The whole animation leads into it (except the middle frame 11 which is just the spike) but this is seemingly the hilt of the sword. It's tough to get consistently. You're looking for the 11% that sends them at an 80 degree angle.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
The whole animation leads into it (except the middle frame 11 which is just the spike) but this is seemingly the hilt of the sword. It's tough to get consistently. You're looking for the 11% that sends them at an 80 degree angle.
Ah, ok. Thank you for that info.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Like Vipermoon said, a lot of these were possible pre-patch, the buff just makes it easier to land and work at larger percent ranges.

Unfortunately, dair is still unsafe on block so you won't be seeing many of these setups in a real match.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Like Vipermoon said, a lot of these were possible pre-patch, the buff just makes it easier to land and work at larger percent ranges.

Unfortunately, dair is still unsafe on block so you won't be seeing many of these setups in a real match.
Correct. I did not know of this before, but I didn't see any threads about comboing out of d-air, so I decided to make one.

I agree, the risk is too big to take, and you may get punished big time, but if you manage to get the spike when someone is on the ground, you'll be rewarded very nicely.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
very cool.

my only concern is that teching is easy af in this game and when i dair people (this happens a ton with zelda and falco too) people will tech just from buffering their shield, which just so happens to be a popular option in this game.

dairing is still a pretty unsafe option. i usually only dair OoS and retreat.
Isn't teching technically harder in this game, the frame window is the smallest in the series if im not mistaking. Teching in general is really easy, I was just throwing that out there :p

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
is it? it may be small but you can just mash R and tech successfully 80% of the time

and since powershields are pretty easy as well, you find players teching spikes on the ground rather often just from them hitting the R button to buffer their shield (which im pretty sure can still cause the parry even the the button is hit at a different time, it seems to depend on when the shield goes up instead of when R is hit)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
is it? it may be small but you can just mash R and tech successfully 80% of the time

and since powershields are pretty easy as well, you find players teching spikes on the ground rather often
You cannot mash R. Every time you press R you are unable to tech for 40 frames (I think it's still 40 in this game). This applies to anything, like off-stage teching.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/tech

Last edited:

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i dunno, the window seems overly lenient. i mentioned something about teching to a player i faced and he said he just mashes R whenever he thinks he's going to have to tech, and after trying it myself it's pretty consistent. i don't do it offline, but still...

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It does not work. You mash R if you want to make sure you WON"T tech.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
Trust me, if you could just mash techs you would see a lot less missed techs in matches.
We should be seeing people tech more in general though. We've had a few iterations of the game to get it down by now...

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's all about knowing the hitlag of a move and preparedness/reaction times.

Top Bottom