• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth against projectiles?

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion this is where Marth struggles the most.

My friend friend always make us play on Final (he says it's the most fair level). He end up spamming Falco's blaster at me.

I also have trouble against Pit. His arrows can hit you almost any where.

Anyone agree/disagree with me?

Post why.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
FD is one of the worst levels in the game no joke.

Anyway, this is funny because I was about to make a thread just like this one with the same title. Without the question mark of course.

Also what exactly are you asking here? How to deal with projectiles or you just want people to agree with you? Don't you think it would be more constructive for people to post their thoughts on how to deal with projectiles instead of just posting the obvious.

Yes, Marth players will have a harder time vs projectile users.

Now we have to actually use our heads to get in our pressure and our damage. How about we do something that will help the entire community and talk about ways to deal with camping.

You mentioned Pit and Falco so let's start with them.

There are different ways that Falco can spam lasers and different ways to deal with it.

If he abuses standing lasers then use roll to close the distance, full jumps, and instand double jumps. Also when you are very close you can keep walking towards Falco to take the hits, but you will DI towards him. When Falco puts his gun away use that time to get in his face and wreck him. If he uses SHDL's then just duck and then run. If the lasers are high enough you can just run right under them without ducking.

With Pit you have more options, but so does he since he can control the trajectory of his arrows. You can roll, use your d-tilt to crawl under straight arrows shots, SH to airdodge, duck and then run under straight arrow shots, full jump and instant double jump. Once you get close enough you can SH to fair to jump over an arrow and hit Pit. You can perfect shield arrows, but it's not worth it IMO since once you get it off Pit can shoot another one and you really won't get anywhere in your approach.

uremog

Smash Ace
a lot of people like to say that final destination is the most fair stage because it has nothing on it.
this is obviously flawed because the fact that it has no platforms is advantageous to some and disadvantageous to others. its length also disadvantages those who have good horiz. killing moves and gives an extra advantage to floaters and gliders. every stage has stuff like this, so the best we can say is that the stages that have the least random elements is the most fair set of stages.

if he persists, just insist back that you play of battlefield, hopefully the end result will be a random selection of "pretty fair" stages.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the responses guys :)

Yeah, I guess I want to know how to deal with campers. Wasn't very clear in my first post.

Karma_Green

Smash Rookie
wow emblem lord thanks, ive been having trouble with this as well...gets frustrating after a while.

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
Marth ALWAYS had trouble against projectiles.. Just try to jump and space your fairs correctly, if anything, once you gain your distance that you feel comfortable, don't lose it, just zone on him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!

Seriously projectiles in Melee were ALWAYS annoying to deal with. Nothing has changed. Marth still has options to deal with them. He lost a few options, but he gained some new ones.

People act like since it's a new game engine that Marth suddenly sucks vs projectiles. You guys should read the stuff on the other characters forums.

"Marth loses to Peach because he sucks vs projectiles now."

Uhhhhhhhh....LOL!!!!

Yeah right, w/e. Projectiles are annoying and a good way to control the amtch, but Marth has the speed and the options to deal with them effectively.

Now let's talk about Zelda.

Don't bother with perfectshielding since it's virtually impossible to tell when she will blow this thing. I have faced good Zelda's and the most reliable tool for dealing with Din's fire is just to SH airdodge then when you land just dash or roll. Zelda lags when she blows up her Din's fire so use that time to close and in punish her. You can also try rolling, full jumping, and instant double jumping, but SH airoddge is just soooooooooo reliable in this match-up you probably won't need much else. Also remember to DI during the airdodge so you can space yourself correctly.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
I know this is going to be an insanely stupid question. But what is DI? Is that Directional Influence?

I had a huge break from these forums, and only started coming back when Brawl was released. So I sorta forget all the terms.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
I know this is going to be an insanely stupid question. But what is DI? Is that Directional Influence?

I had a huge break from these forums, and only started coming back when Brawl was released. So I sorta forget all the terms.
Yea, thats what DI stands for. You should probably look at threads that explain basic terms instead of asking around

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!

Seriously projectiles in Melee were ALWAYS annoying to deal with. Nothing has changed. Marth still has options to deal with them. He lost a few options, but he gained some new ones.

People act like since it's a new game engine that Marth suddenly sucks vs projectiles. You guys should read the stuff on the other characters forums.

"Marth loses to Peach because he sucks vs projectiles now."

Uhhhhhhhh....LOL!!!!

Yeah right, w/e. Projectiles are annoying and a good way to control the amtch, but Marth has the speed and the options to deal with them effectively.

Now let's talk about Zelda.

Don't bother with perfectshielding since it's virtually impossible to tell when she will blow this thing. I have faced good Zelda's and the most reliable tool for dealing with Din's fire is just to SH airdodge then when you land just dash or roll. Zelda lags when she blows up her Din's fire so use that time to close and in punish her. You can also try rolling, full jumping, and instant double jumping, but SH airoddge is just soooooooooo reliable in this match-up you probably won't need much else. Also remember to DI during the airdodge so you can space yourself correctly.
Good tips on the Zelda part, I'm a pretty decent Marth player in Brawl and that din's fire crap annoyed the hell outta me. I should try your method, seems good.

About projectiles and Marth's options.. It really depends which projectiles you're going against. If it's against Falco, pretty much do what I said before. That's probably going to be hard to do against Pit, though. You don't really have to worry too much about Peach, she's really nerfed now, and if anything, CATCH her projectiles =] Toon Link is probably one of the hardest ones to deal with out of all the guys with projectiles imo. My friend was throwing projectiles all over the place and when I get close enough, he combos me like crazy. Toon Link is like Marth in melee with some broken *** arrows/bombs/boomerangs.

That's pretty much all I have to say for now.

V

Smash Ace
the only projectiles that give me a hard time are wolf's. my friends is really good with wolf and i always get hit by his lazers

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
I actually ended up having trouble with some Mario projectiles today, was weird for me.. Didn't expect them to give me trouble but meh, they're pretty fast, coming at me by 2's.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'd have to agree with KazeNoFat. Although I've never had to play anyone who uses Toon Link, he seems like he would be the worst match-up. All of these projectile dodging techniques are really giving me new ideas, I'm glad this thread is here.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well ok.
The normal Falco/pit projectiles issues, we understand that they do have their flaws.

On the other hand... Mario....

Mario is the most well balanced character, good jump, decent damage, he has his cape to block projectiles, fair amount of lag and speed, and to top it off.... Projectiles!

Now, with MArio, his projectiles have gravity effecting them meaning the usual SH and then spam that fire is harder to deal with. To add the troubles, Mario can attack reletively quick after using his fireball.

How does one beat such a tactic?

First, Mario has little lag after the fireball, and it is quite easy for Mario to shot 2 of them causing your roll to stop and he pounds you with a good Mario tornado.
Jumping in the air and Fair'ing mario can be stoped by Mario's second fireball.
His cape also adds trouble.

Marth is strictly melee, the best was to get pass mario is to Nair the plumber, it will out prioritize Mario's second fireball, and the second slash will hit Mario with good knockback, allowing a good opening with the Fair.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Any tips on dealing with camping links? The problem I find with him is once I get past the projectiles, he can spot dodge my approach (usually a fair), and then there's a boomerang behind me coming back, and he'll usually go to his upsmash which often hits me and I can't seem to punish it even when I know it's coming. If I'm spaced correctly after the approach and outside his attack range, I've still got to worry about the boomerang knocking me into it so I can't just charge an fsmash like i would otherwise.

Options

1. If i simply back away and air dodge the boomerang, I'm back at square one and waiting for more projectiles.

2. Rolling around him doesn't seem to get outside the upsmash range and spot dodging is very hard as his upsmash is 3 attacks. I'll probably have to test how long his downtime is afterwards because I can't seem to figure it out.... it's not very long though.

3. It's easiest to grab him after a dodge, but how can I really punish him with the throw? In my experience marth's throws are pretty bad.

4. I can counter him... seems like a good option, but I'd have to guess when the attack comes, and the punishment for being wrong is worse than what I get if I'm right (double fsmash to the face).

EDIT: Just got another idea, dtilt to get under the attack. Anyone know if this works?
(I don't use ftilt because it gets canceled against one of his swings).

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
Well ok.
The normal Falco/pit projectiles issues, we understand that they do have their flaws.

On the other hand... Mario....

Mario is the most well balanced character, good jump, decent damage, he has his cape to block projectiles, fair amount of lag and speed, and to top it off.... Projectiles!

Now, with MArio, his projectiles have gravity effecting them meaning the usual SH and then spam that fire is harder to deal with. To add the troubles, Mario can attack reletively quick after using his fireball.

How does one beat such a tactic?

First, Mario has little lag after the fireball, and it is quite easy for Mario to shot 2 of them causing your roll to stop and he pounds you with a good Mario tornado.
Jumping in the air and Fair'ing mario can be stoped by Mario's second fireball.
His cape also adds trouble.

Marth is strictly melee, the best was to get pass mario is to Nair the plumber, it will out prioritize Mario's second fireball, and the second slash will hit Mario with good knockback, allowing a good opening with the Fair.
QFTx10 That actually helped me man. The Mario always does two sh fire balls, anywhere on the stage, that clears pretty much any distance for him to get close to rock me. He can shorten his distance with DI or make it farther. It's always 2 fire balls and that's like, really gay. The lag time is super short, too. His back air is also very fast with very low lag time, always get hit by like 2 of those. Good post 4 you sir, I'll try the sh nair tactic =P

Any tips on dealing with camping links? The problem I find with him is once I get past the projectiles, he can spot dodge my approach (usually a fair), and then there's a boomerang behind me coming back, and he'll usually go to his upsmash which often hits me and I can't seem to punish it even when I know it's coming. If I'm spaced correctly after the approach and outside his attack range, I've still got to worry about the boomerang knocking me into it so I can't just charge an fsmash like i would otherwise.

Options

1. If i simply back away and air dodge the boomerang, I'm back at square one and waiting for more projectiles.

2. Rolling around him doesn't seem to get outside the upsmash range and spot dodging is very hard as his upsmash is 3 attacks. I'll probably have to test how long his downtime is afterwards because I can't seem to figure it out.... it's not very long though.

3. It's easiest to grab him after a dodge, but how can I really punish him with the throw? In my experience marth's throws are pretty bad.

4. I can counter him... seems like a good option, but I'd have to guess when the attack comes, and the punishment for being wrong is worse than what I get if I'm right (double fsmash to the face).

EDIT: Just got another idea, dtilt to get under the attack. Anyone know if this works?
(I don't use ftilt because it gets canceled against one of his swings).
A-1. Try this, I havn't done it, just thinking it up. sh, air dodge DI towards him, fair in same jump. If you do it by the same his boomerang was thrown, you'd probably be able to dodge + fair. Also, the fair would be low to the ground, which leads to the forward bbbb combo.

A-2. If you're far away, probably roll and jump alot until you're close, but I wouldn't say roll INTO him, that's probably dangerous and Link's pretty good at punishing.

A-3. Marth's throws are pretty bad now but if you add some yomi/mindgames into it, you can do it.
F-Throw - fair or grab again, don't do the grab too many times if it was possible, he would jump or air dodge. But an attack after it is possible I'm sure.
U-Throw - Let him waste his second jump and keep him in the air, try hard =]

A-4. Try jabbing away his projectiles and when you're close enough, just watch what he does and find the pattern, learn it, then counter when necessary. - or counter his projectiles when you're at a close range. Counter can also be used as like a shield when you're far, un punishable and reflects projectiles.

I'm not sure D-tilt will dodge projectiles, unless his arrows are charged pretty high, bomb thrown far and boomeranges thrown up. =/ GL with it guys.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
I think you misunderstood what I'm talking about. One scenario only. I've gotten past the projectiles, and he spot dodged my approach fair, but the boomerang is returning from behind me, and he's probably going to upsmash. What do I do? You can't counter the boomerang's return as it doesn't do dmg, it just pulls you. The dtilt is to dodge his upsmash hits (maybe), not projectiles. You follow?

KazeNoFat

Smash Cadet
I think you misunderstood what I'm talking about. One scenario only. I've gotten past the projectiles, and he spot dodged my approach fair, but the boomerang is returning from behind me, and he's probably going to upsmash. What do I do? You can't counter the boomerang's return as it doesn't do dmg, it just pulls you. The dtilt is to dodge his upsmash hits (maybe), not projectiles. You follow?
That ONE scenario doesn't seem that it would happen ALOT. So I dunno.. Maybe just come at him through his projectiles and do a short hop empty aerial. Then if he like.. Dodged or something, you can punish him since you have no delay for not doing anything. I dunno, but that scenario seems rare.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If he dodges and is waiting for the boomerang to return, then just counter. THe boomerang won't hurt you on the return like you said so kinda ignore it. Dancing blade Link to get in some damage. Since the bommerang will pull you in, you can start it from a distance. Another option is to charge shieldbreaker and let the rang pull you in close then release it. He won't expect it if you mix up your game and will try to block or dodge so time it so it hits after a spotdodge. The boomerang is a distraction so block or dodge it. Punish link with the dancing blade but switch up the slashes to keep the move's strength from decaying. Camp in links face with your longer sword and you should be fine.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Thanks for the tips. Dancing blade sounds like a good option here (which is often the case), I'll just have to make sure I can time it to hit after his dodge. I picked up the shieldbreaker idea from some youtube vids already, but haven't been able to apply it really. At least I have some good ideas now about what I need to work on to deal with link.

Smash Apprentice
If you have trouble with Link (actually any character) spot-dodging or simply dodging, then vary your tactics. It sounds like you're playing against a friend, in which case they know what you do, when. You must change this. Instead of doing a fair, try a dancing blade or a dolphin slash (use this sparingly, as you don't want to miss) when approaching. Or, change the timing of your fair. If they always spot-dodge, jump in without attacking at all, then punish them. My main point is that you need to vary your approach, no matter what. Being unpredictable is a skill itself in Smash, and one that is necessary to advance in the game.

Dealing with projectiles as Marth is not actually as hard as some other boards make it sound (Emblem Lord is correct on this one, definitely go and read the other boards. Too good). Samus has projectiles, yet Marth probebly has the advantage over her (although she isn't spamming them). Other characters that do spam projectiles will not be killing you with said projectiles, and this is the weak point in thinking that Marth totally gets rocked by them. At some point, Pit will have to stop spamming arrows. Although I am not advocating letting Pit shoot you, the point remains.

Fairing projectiles will cancel most of them, so use that. Against nonspammable ones, go ahead and dodge them. Spammable ones are a little harder to deal with, but jumping over them is quite effective (except with Pit, Snake, and other chars who control their projectiles). After that, you're going to have to come up with your own strategy. Mine involves randomness, which keeps your opponent guessing.

Top Bottom