• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Movement Options?

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
What are Mario's effective movement options? Perfect pivoting? Extended dash-dancing?

JaGGi

Smash Rookie
I think wavebouncing fireballs can be very useful, not really a movement option, but there's that.
Extended dash dancing can be good to play mindgames and get grabs.
Perfect pivoting with Mario isn't really that useful except for pivot grabbing, and maybe retreating with PP F-tilits

Megamang

Smash Lord
I like perfect pivoting because it slides you towards them with your back facing them, opening up your bair for approach/defense instead of your fair.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSYA8QrviE

Sliding Pivots are the movement option I use the most often, effectively, and it is by far the easiest.

I have c-stick set to attack so while I do a landing bair (or reverse nair, maybe dair?, or just landing backwards) I hold the other direction and do sliding up tilt for an anti air or combo starter OR I do a down tilt for a combo starter or grab confirm. Yeah, you can also grab out of the slide, but I always forget that. Opponents are often very confident in their spacing right outside of your landing range to start their punish, so when you slide immediately out of your perceived landing spot with a buffered tilt, it's VERY good.

If you have c-stick set to smash attack, I suppose you could up or down smash. I would probably down smash since I don't use it enough other wise but it lowers your hurt box, is less obvious, and comes out crazy fast.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I get tons of mileage out of dance trotting, but I don't think it's very optimal.

Anter

Smash Rookie
Moofpi has the right outlook on pivots.

As far as movement options go, mastering perfect pivots will help a lot. Mario has really good tilts so pp tilts are a great tool to have in your kit(made easier by having cstick set to tilts).

I recommend using tap jump in conjunction with tilts on cstick. This way you can perform double sticking which makes Mario feel much more agile and precise to control imo. The control scheme can take some getting used to and might not be for everyone. The control scheme prevents accidental jump cancelled upsmashes while allowing for frame perfect short hopped aerials. The precision I spoke of comes from the facts that retreating aerials are made super easy and that with less inputs(which is what happens with double sticking) and the mobility gained from tilts on cstick(aerials done with smash stick cancel your momentum if used during the wrong times of a jump, that problem is gone with tilt stick). You can basically jump in any direction while performing any aerial you want.

Wave bouncing was mentioned. Breversing in general is important.

I use his cape sometimes to stall above my opponent that has been conditioned for an approach. If cape is used backwards, you can stall and follow up with a back air. If not done backwards, nair.

Don't forget about wall jumps. Also, if you run and pivot into the edge of the stage, you get an extended slide where any action can be performed.

Sorry if some of this stuff seems off topic. I know the thread is about movement options, but I figured I could also share little ways Mario's default movement could be made easier too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom