• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Kart 8 DLC Coming Worldwide August 27th!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The upcoming update may seem all well and good for the new gamers, but for those who have already completed everything AND achieved 9999 VR, there's not much else to go for outside of tournaments or private friend list races.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Smash Brothers and Nintendo are connected at the hip. The majority of people on this site have been very receptive to Nintendo news, and as that is the case Smashboards will continue to host major Nintendo-based news when it appears.
Based Derrit.
Cool.

Where's classic Battle Mode.

What the **** Nintendo.
Hopefully, soon, as DLC.
No, please, no more horrid tracks like Donut Plains, and Mario Circuit's only good because of the music! But seriously, SNES tracks are a cancer that needs to dissapear from Mario Kart as soon as possible.
M-muh nostalgia. (Edit: The previous statement may or may not indicate that I am affected by nostalgic sentiment from SNES tracks.)

Hey, D-idara, what do you think about firehopping? :troll:

Last edited:

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
cosplay done right...

and yeah, diddy Kong would be nice... same goes for bowser jr (besides koopa kids) king boo, koopa paratroopa, dry bones, dry bowser maybe?

Would had loves these instead of all those babies... the worst thing ever is baby daisy and baby rosalina... they're just made up for mario kart 8...
Actually, Baby Daisy was in Mario Super Slugger, although Baby Rosalina was just made up.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I don't understand the hate this DLC has been getting around the 'net. It's free, it solves a few problems, and adds some content some of us enjoy. If you don't want to use the Mercedes, don't. I don't plan to use Birdo if she's ever made playable, but you won't see me bicker about it if she's made available for free.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
I don't understand the hate this DLC has been getting around the 'net. It's free, it solves a few problems, and adds some content some of us enjoy. If you don't want to use the Mercedes, don't. I don't plan to use Birdo if she's ever made playable, but you won't see me bicker about it if she's made available for free.
*he's.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Holy crap. Nintendo actually listened to our complaints and are actually patching the game! I wonder how much memory the extra karts will take up.

Geek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeektheMeek
These are pretty interesting-looking DLC and updates, however, this doesn't cover up the fact that the item distribution is broken. Frantic still seems more reasonable than the normal setting for items.

Oh well, if that is how Nintendo plays their cards, hope their endeavors will truly be better next time.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
XD Now let's get a Battle Mode patch maybe?

EDIT:
Actually, now that there will be a minimap on the TV, I suppose it won't be impossible to find your opponent anymore 'o'

But...if you are in the lead for points, then the minimap will make it easier to hide from people out to get you...

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Pretty good patch I hope nintendo can do some good patching for Sm4sh too. For the next patch i'm hoping for in game voice chat with friends during races, a good invite system, an option to toggle of any item ala smash (screw you lightning bolt), a few new battle arenas instead of tracks, and some new characters (Toadsworth for lightweight, Diddy Kong for midweight, and King K. Rool for heavyweight plz)

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
XD Now let's get a Battle Mode patch maybe?

EDIT:
Actually, now that there will be a minimap on the TV, I suppose it won't be impossible to find your opponent anymore 'o'

But...if you are in the lead for points, then the minimap will make it easier to hide from people out to get you...
The next patch should come with some retro arenas for battle mode heck i'll pay for it.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
These are pretty interesting-looking DLC and updates, however, this doesn't cover up the fact that the item distribution is broken. Frantic still seems more reasonable than the normal setting for items.

Oh well, if that is how Nintendo plays their cards, hope their endeavors will truly be better next time.
The item distribution is not that bad heck it is a lot better than MKWii. The distribution has always been a little wacky but hey maybe next patch some improvements will come still a great game

Gef

Smash Cadet
Apparently, a spanish Nintendo magazine talked about DLC and characters, and one of the characters shown was official artwork of Diddy Kong.

I do believe they will be coming out with character DLC, that or it was a really good fake picture. :troll:
I think it's very possible they just messed up and he isn't coming as DLC

Gef

Smash Cadet
Warning Received

Play green shells only. There's your fair. Or no items.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
cosplay done right...

and yeah, diddy Kong would be nice... same goes for bowser jr (besides koopa kids) king boo, koopa paratroopa, dry bones, dry bowser maybe?

Would had loves these instead of all those babies... the worst thing ever is baby daisy and baby rosalina... they're just made up for mario kart 8...
Baby Daisy is beyond creepy and Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are the worst characters could of easily been an item

Geek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeektheMeek
The item distribution is not that bad heck it is a lot better than MKWii. The distribution has always been a little wacky but hey maybe next patch some improvements will come still a great game
Eh, I myself have not played the game that much, but I've heard all of these wacky statements from my clan about "getting Crazy 8 in second" or "three bullets at the same time." I've experienced it myself, and it's quite annoying. We have some really good players, but the game is not at all directed to the competitive scene. Hence why I'm staying away from the game.

And I completely disagree about the item distribution in MKWii. You do not get better items as you go up between the charts, or repeatedly get coins in first.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Finally. All the stuff i wanted they are updating in. To be fair some of these things should've been there from the start but good to see they are here now.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
I still don't really get why they're adding Mercs. I don't mind the Silver Arrow, it makes sense and I'm more than happy to put my foot down, but the GLA?! I'd much prefer a kart modeled around the SLS AMG GT3, a real Merc speed machine, over an SUV box with wheels.

Still the prospect of real brands is kinda cool, when will we see the Nissan GT-R or Lexus LFA?

proxibomb

Smash Clown

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
M-muh nostalgia. (Edit: The previous statement may or may not indicate that I am affected by nostalgic sentiment from SNES tracks.)

Hey, D-idara, what do you think about firehopping? :troll:
Admit it, the SNES tracks are lame compared to Wario Colosseum or Wario's Gold Mine. And as outlandish as this sounds, I'd actually like firehopping if it had more of a visible effect, although I think the game would be fine with 100% of the skill being track mastery. At least it's easy to do, and you hop anyways to make really tight turns.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it should be patched because skill's supposed to reside in track mastery, not how fast you can press jump. But the effect's not big or small enough for me to mind, I do it when I notice my opponent being a cheapass and doing it, otherwise, I race the way you're supposed to race.

Also, to all these people asking for Battle Mode courses, there's a racing mode that's not as obnoxious, unecessary and absolutely overrated, you know? (Battle Mode sucks, yes, even the 64 one).

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
This is awesome, but please fix battle mode for god sakes. Online , n64 areana battle mode just like it was in 64.....how could you not do that

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well Baby Daisy first appeared in MK Wii, but she has also appeared in other game. Baby Rosalina has never appeared in a game before.
Baby Daisy has only appeared in Mario Kart and Mario baseball.

Baby Rosalina has only appeared in Mario Kart, but that's only because she's just started to exist.

Meanwhile the actual Yoshi Island babies; Baby DK and Baby Wario are getting ignored in Mario Kart.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Still haven't bought the game yet, but I'm puzzled by the fact there's no Bowser Jr. I hope he will be new DLC.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Still haven't bought the game yet, but I'm puzzled by the fact there's no Bowser Jr. I hope he will be new DLC.
I think they must have considered him too similar to the Koopalings. I was a little bummed by his absence too.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Stop going corporate Nintendo, where's the Blue Falcon or the Arwing, or the Landmaster, why not just release an F-Zero dlc pack,with the Blue Falcon, Black Bull, and other F-Zero crafts

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong should be playable in the next DLC, but there were some things I was hoping would be improved on the August 27th patch, such as:

-Item Mechanics (more fair & no coins as items after collecting 10 or more in a race)
-Items return, like Mega Mushroom and Fake Blocks (if possible)
-More tracks
-Mercedes Rose for Rosalina's voice again :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom