• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

TMario

Smash Apprentice
So YOU'RE Lil G. I'm so behind in the game... I JUST watched your Mario ditto vids with Flame. I'm like, "This dude is keeping up with Flame, how come I've never heard of him before".

Cool.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Lmao, Lil G been around the smash community for long time now, Tmario.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that you've been around here for like a year now.

:pow:

TMario

Smash Apprentice
@LilG: You got a new fan. I've been studying your old Mario vids. You should definitely put up some more man.

@Smashmanx7: You can learn a lot watching youtube vids and the guides around here. Or if you have any youtube vids of your own, post em and we'll help critique ya. Or if you have a specific problem and need ideas, let's hear it. :)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Yo, I came back recently and wtf is this bull**** in the snake matchup?
it's a pretty ****ty matchup in the first place with POW POW 21% but now they're all doing this D-Throw to look-at-your-****ing-controller-to-see-how-you-tech bull

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
@LilG: You got a new fan. I've been studying your old Mario vids. You should definitely put up some more man.

@Smashmanx7: You can learn a lot watching youtube vids and the guides around here. Or if you have any youtube vids of your own, post em and we'll help critique ya. Or if you have a specific problem and need ideas, let's hear it. :)
Well my main problem would have to be edge-guarding and coming up with sizeable combos to do damage on someone . I look at the guide videos and they do help I've learned shutter-stepping and other techniques but in round sometimes those things don't match up.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Well my main problem would have to be edge-guarding and coming up with sizeable combos to do damage on someone . I look at the guide videos and they do help I've learned shutter-stepping and other techniques but in round sometimes those things don't match up.
If you want, you can wifi with me, then i could tell you what's up with your mario. I would have to bet that one of the things you're probably underusing is mario's fireball

TMario

Smash Apprentice
@smashmanx7: Lookin for combos, eh? For some ideas, check out the "Do the Mario" series on Youtube (even if they're kind of old). I like part 3 best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwcl-fZt9g

After that, try and look up actual Mario matches. Search "Mario" + "one of the Mario mains you see on this board"
For example, "Mario Cwhip" will get you this awesome video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hccsmab2z70

Or "Mario Flameleon" may lead you to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-oy5rlMkk

Some other names to check out
"Trog", "Kirin", "Lil G", "Boss", "Fire!", "Xero"... I'm probably forgetting a ton of names but, there's something to build from.

Edit:
Also, if you're having trouble against a certain character, youtube search "Mario vs [character] brawl". You'll usually find one of these guys above showing how it's done. Plus, reading the guides around here only helps.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
After watching all those videos I can honestly say I have along ways away from becoming that good if anyone would like to help me train I'd really appreciate it.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
@Cezz: We're pretty much gonna have to wait until the BBR character mu ends.
Matador is the lone mario in the BBR character mu discussion, which is painful
for him because of the character we main.

@Smashmanx7: Sounds like you need to join my camp. I can muscle up your mario
in two weeks. lol

What keep most mario mains from reaching their full potential is learning to use fludd.
This isn't 2008 anymore guys, fludd is good for many things, like spacing, FIHL, defense
and edge-guarding.

Let's take the mu of link for example; Mario's fludd can cancle any projectile link throws at him,
even stops Link's Zair in it's tracks. Buffer mario's fludd during the mu.

Ledge Options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwKO2XB71Q Learn them all & practice.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
https://www.facebook.com/events/123093441213623/?fref=ts

To the Mario boards, I will be at this event. I haven't touched Brawl in over a year, and been playing Melee recently until I decided to officially hang up my controller(to people who has me on Facebook knows this)... However my old doubles partner, 3des, wants to make an appearance here for Street Fighter 4, and since we're there, mind as well play some Brawl.

Stay tuned for some low tier doubles action :D

I have no intentions of playing singles.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
@coolwhip truth be told I actually use the f.l.u.d very often I also shutter -step and do other advanced techs to it's just little mistakes that I have trouble with like my tendency to use smash attacks early in round cause I use the c-stick.or grabbing that I sometimes have trouble with I also tend to play it safe cause Mario and agro don't really mix well. That being Sid it'd be cool if you could help me I'm available around 6 if you want to do it today

TMario

Smash Apprentice
What keep most mario mains from reaching their full potential is learning to use fludd.
This isn't 2008 anymore guys, fludd is good for many things, like spacing, FIHL, defense
and edge-guarding.

Let's take the mu of link for example; Mario's fludd can cancle any projectile link throws at him,
even stops Link's Zair in it's tracks. Buffer mario's fludd during the mu.
Honestly, I've been using FLUDD more offensively since whoever shared this Boss vid
http://youtu.be/MawpLoczPOw?t=1m40s

Like, when whoever will just jump at me and I have a full charge. FLUDD's element of surprise has more an impact than you'd think.

FLUDD kills.

BSP

Smash Legend
it's a pretty ****ty matchup in the first place with POW POW 21% but now they're all doing this D-Throw to look-at-your-****ing-controller-to-see-how-you-tech bull
Just randomly rotate your control stick as they're putting you down for the dthrow. Not only does this prevent them from looking at your stick, but it also stops you from picking up any type of habit.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain to me how Mario v Olimar isn't bad for Mario?
I have little Olimar experience, but I ran into one the other day at a local tourny (took Mario all the way, won first place!)

But the only reason I beat that Olimar is that his controller cord wrapped around his ankle and he focused on shaking his leg instead of playing the game. So... I guess my advice is to let loose a bunch of snakes or something?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Lmao.......That is the reason why i play with my controller under the table at tourneys
so no one would be looking at my controller tryin to cheat.

#That'sthat****idon'tlike

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Hello . I as wondering if it wasn't too much trouble if any mario main would like to help me train my mario to get better sometime today or anytime around 6. If not I understand Im more of a hands on person so videos can only do so much for me.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I've seen the list, and I agree. Personally, I think the IC's should share a tier with Olimar and Diddy.
I'm also hoping Mario can sneak out of low tier by v9. He's only one spot away!

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Hello . I as wondering if it wasn't too much trouble if any mario main would like to help me train my mario to get better sometime today or anytime around 6. If not I understand Im more of a hands on person so videos can only do so much for me.
Got skype or something?
It'll be easier to catch eachother lol

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
@Cezz: I wouldn't let the new tier list get to me at all. In fact, i'm cool with how it look.
I use zss as a secondary and she well deserves top 10 for sure.

@Hat: Mario isn't going anywhere. He will continue to stay L-tier and we should honor
& respect that. Mario.....King of low-tier!

EDIT: Do anyone here remembers zeta? His mario was the truth when he was playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzWADSsNwc

^ His offline tourney match. Do you guys use lumosity? it's so fun and good for the brain.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What kind of pansy does that?

It's bad enough that they already play Snake vs Mario.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Coolwhip said:
EDIT: Do anyone here remembers zeta? His mario was the truth when he was playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzWADSsNwc

^ His offline tourney match. Do you guys use lumosity? it's so fun and good for the brain.
Zeta is a ridiculously underrated player. Does anyone remember that combo video he did a while back, that was amazing! I think he deleted the video though... Coolwhip, if I remember correctly, didn't you try to contact him a while back? And does he still play Brawl competitively?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Zeta is a ridiculously underrated player. Does anyone remember that combo video he did a while back, that was amazing! I think he deleted the video though... Coolwhip, if I remember correctly, didn't you try to contact him a while back? And does he still play Brawl competitively?
Yeah, we talked about him being apart of DTM4 combo video, which he was
thrill about, but he didn't have any videos or couldn't harvest any of it. Our main goal has to have more international marios in the video, like zeta and Irios.

and no......he doesn't play brawl anymore......i think.

His youtube account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations.
That's why most of you guys haven't seen his combo video trailer in a while.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
I actually have it saved on my hard drive. If there was a way to contact him, see if its alright, I can upload it. I mean, its not mine to share, you know? Or you think I should just upload it and spam credits his way? It's pretty F-air heavy, but still pretty impressive.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
ohhhhh, that video. lol. I thought you had his 2nd combo video, which was a trailer.

But yeah, his cv & vato's are still way better then most mario mains today.

TMario

Smash Apprentice
He had another combo vid?? Well shoot, idk anything about that. But that zeta vs tales vid you posted... the final kill, I'm like, "He went for the F-air!!!" Good vid, good vid.

Top Bottom