• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Advanced Tech (Cape Dash)

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
*note* This is not the same technique from Brawl.

This technique lets you slide further along the ground while running and using cape. I haven't really tested this out in a real match yet, so let me know if its useful. I just noticed while I was playing that Mario would sometimes glide further when running and using cape, so I tried to replicate it. If you use the cape right after his feet come together, he will glide further. Use it for surprise gimps or safe approaches!

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
It also helps using landmarks on the stage to determine when you cape

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Is there nothing else to help with the timing for this? It's killing me cause now I notice it and want to do it more often and intentionally

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
Is there nothing else to help with the timing for this? It's killing me cause now I notice it and want to do it more often and intentionally
That's all I know man. I wonder why they even put that in :(. There must be a way!

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
This is a physics oddity that works with many other specials in this game when the feet come together while running. Nice finding it out yourself.

IggyD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Iggy524
This is a physics oddity that works with many other specials in this game when the feet come together while running. Nice finding it out yourself.
Thanks for checking it out

D

Deleted member

How this works is when a character runs, they move via a bone called TransN, and the running animation is set to indefinitely loop, yet the TransN bone doesn't reset it's position back to frame 1, instead, the TransN bone resets at where it was last at when the animation ends, and during frame 1, there is a very slight boost, so when you use a special during this boost, the tiny extra momentum will continuously loop, or "transfer" over into a special like a normal run would, causing the little differences to add up, aiding in your horizontal movement.

For the average man: basically, there is a certain point where due to the mechanics of the game, the character will get a small boost at a certain point in time, in this case, it was around the time period where Mario's feet were coming together, and if you use a special move during this time, the momentum transfers, giving you a small, yet noticeable boost.

Top Bottom