• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[March 9, 2014] King of the House (Dallas, TX)

phởHouse

Smash Cadet

ALERT!
Keep in mind that Daylight Saving Time begins the morning of this event! Don't miss out on jumping ahead an hour or you'll get off schedule!

Eat pho.

5301 Alpha Rd. Ste 24, Dallas TX 75240

We are a brand new restaurant based in North Dallas hoping to do our part in the DFW Smash community. Our 8,000 sq ft, two-story venue offers a more than adequate amount of room alongside spacious and comfortable lounges to sit. For those who only wish to spectate, we will provide two spectator-only HD flatscreen TVs and a projector for our top 8. Additionally, our entire restaurant will be at your full disposal be it food, drink, or tournament.

If you guys have any requests or questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Tourney Locator
http://www.tourneylocator.com/Tourney/10210
*RSVP*
http://smashboards.com/events/king-of-the-house.3207/

Parking Information
You are free to park in the parking garage next to the venue
You may also use the "RETAIL" marked parking spots outside the venue

Menu
$5 combo meals
hamburger/popcorn chicken
both come with fries

pho
$9 pho ga (chicken broth)
$10 pho bo (beef broth)
$12 seafood

$3 monster energy drinks
$1 soda cans
$1 water bottles
+free cups of water/refills

Contact Information
TOs
Cory Hoang 469-260-2322 / vietboihuy123@yahoo.com
Carlos Reyna 469-226-9727 / ccarlols@gmail.com
Restaurant 972-661-9960 (ask for Cory)
http://www.phohousedallas.com

Date
March 9th, 2014. Sunday

Schedule
10:30 AM - Arrival/Registration
12:00 PM - All Tournament Registration Ends / Melee Doubles Begins
1:00 PM - Project: M Doubles
3:00 PM - Melee Singles/Pools
4:00 PM - Project: M Singles/Pools

Fees
Venue: $10 ($5 If you bring a Setup**)
Singles: $10
Doubles: $5 per person
**If you cannot bring a TV, a Wii + BOTH GAMES will still count for the venue discount as long as we have an unused TV for it. Please keep that in mind!

Payouts
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
$100 bonus pot to each game with >50 entrants (Singles only)

MELEE Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set OFF and NONE
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)​
Counter Picks:
Pokemon Stadium (Singles Only)
Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles Only)​

PROJECT: M Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set to OFF and NONE
Buffer OFF
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)​
Counter Picks:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Warioware
Greenhill Zone
Skyloft
Skyworld
Metal Cavern
Dracula's Castle
Rumble Falls
Distant Planet (Doubles Only)​

Addendum for Doubles
Team Attack ON
Life stealing is allowed (note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B rather than Melee's Start)
In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Character/Stage Selection Process
Blind Picks character selection.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. 1-2-1 (Melee) / 1-2-2-1 (Project: M)
The first match is played.
Winning player of the preceding match bans one stage (Melee) / three stages (Project: M)
The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
The winning player of preceding match picks character.
The losing player picks character.
The next match is played.
Repeat for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect for the entirety of the set

Miscellaneous Rules
The TOs are the arbiters of all disputes.
BYOC: Players are expected to bring their own controllers.
DQ Rule: Arriving 5 MINUTES late will lose you ONE match. 10 MINUTES will lose you the SET.
In the event of a match going to time/sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
d. In the event of going to sudden death because of suicide kill move (such as Ganon's overB or Dedede's inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.
Sets will be best out of 3 games.
Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.
MikeHaze rule: No intentionally disrupting players, whether physically or vocally. This applies to EVERYONE.
Gentleman's Clause: Any rule change (besides 8 minute time limit) is permitted if agreed by both players.
Dave's Stupid Rule: Players cannot counterpick back to a stage they have already won on in the set.
Textures are Cool Clause: Nondisruptive textures and music are allowed. If there is a problem, contact the TOs and we will get it resolved ASAP.

The venue is open to ALL AGES despite having two bars. So if you wish to drink, bring an ID. Please drink responsibly!
For those who would like to watch the last day of Revival of Melee 7, we will be streaming that too via projector on our second floor.

P.S. SETUPS SETUPS SETUPS. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
Upstairs lounge and its setup (projector on the white wall)

Projector at night

First floor setup area

I'll try to see if we can get some higher quality photos soon

Last edited:

PTJon

Smash Cadet
This sounds like the best venue ever, like too good to be true. But having it on Sunday really makes it hard for a lot of people to come. A ton more people would most likely come to your tournaments if you could somehow change them to Saturdays.

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
This sounds like the best venue ever, like too good to be true. But having it on Sunday really makes it hard for a lot of people to come. A ton more people would most likely come to your tournaments if you could somehow change them to Saturdays.
Our Saturdays are usually packed and busy, so Saturdays are not the best option. Also, our restaurants hours are closed on Sunday which means the entire restaurant is reserved for the tournament (both the staff and our chefs). However, if this event is successful, the venue owners would consider running it on Saturdays (aka closing down the restaurant). That weekend also happens to be the first weekend of Spring Break for the DFW area so the majority's attendance should not be too badly affected. We understand not everyone benefits from Spring Break in terms of days off, but we feel this would be the best date for the month of March.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Are the times for Melee doubles and singles the same as Project:M's because you have Melee labeled as Melee for the two different times in the OP. I might go to this, I want to check out the venue first though. Do you have any pics on the Web site?

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
Are the times for Melee doubles and singles the same as Project:M's because you have Melee labeled as Melee for the two different times in the OP. I might go to this, I want to check out the venue first though. Do you have any pics on the Web site?
The time schedule for the day is still a WIP. We will probably not start both Melee/Project:M simultaneously unless we run out of time later in the night. An hour delay between them should help smooth out the matches for players who enter both.
The second post is reserved for photos of the venue as the ones on our website don't show enough. We will upload these ASAP for you guys.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope we aren't playing any matches on the two provided HDTVs / flatscreens as there is a lot of noticeable frame lag. Will we have tables to put our CRTs we bring along on? I don't want to risk scratching any granite counters or anything.

If needed I have a composite a/v splitter for the projector we could use if I go so competitors can play on a lagless CRT and spectators can watch on the wall with a laggy projector.

The time schedule for the day is still a WIP. We will probably not start both Melee/Project:M simultaneously unless we run out of time later in the night. An hour delay between them should help smooth out the matches for players who enter both.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the P:M / Melee scene around Dallas is huge. Some of our Melee only tournaments that start as early as 10am have gone over until 10pm at night. I'm not sure how late you're willing to stay open, but for a first entry in a tournament series you may want to kick out one of the games.

Also, a somewhat off topic question: Will there be fountain drinks?

Last edited by a moderator:

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
I hope we aren't playing any matches on the two provided HDTVs / flatscreens as there is a lot of noticeable frame lag. Will we have tables to put our CRTs we bring along on? I don't want to risk scratching any granite counters or anything.

If needed I have a composite a/v splitter for the projector we could use if I go so competitors can play on a lagless CRT and spectators can watch on the wall with a laggy projector.
Don't worry, the projector and HDTVs are not for playing; they are simply for the spectators. All matches will be played on CRTs so there will no problems about any lag. Yes, we have tables for the CRTs.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the P:M / Melee scene around Dallas is huge. Some of our Melee only tournaments that start as early as 10am have gone over until 10pm at night. I'm not sure how late you're willing to stay open, but for a first entry in a tournament series you may want to kick out one of the games.

Also, a somewhat off topic question: Will there be fountain drinks?
For the time constraints, we are able to run as late as needed to finish the tournament. The kitchen will probably close around 9, though. We will do our best to avoid huge delays during the tournament, as it is our job to make sure that no one is playing any unnecessary friendlies during the earlier rounds of the tournament.

As for beverages: free water and canned soda. I'll edit it into the OP.

We appreciate all your concerns, by the way. The more questions we get the better this tournament will run.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you're aware, but the P:M / Melee scene around Dallas is huge. Some of our Melee only tournaments that start as early as 10am have gone over until 10pm at night.
No kidding, I drove more than an hour to get to Dime 7 for doubles, and when my pool finished for singles afterwards it was already 9 or 10pm

FOR POOLS

EDIT: @OP Thanks for the info. Another generic question, will there be friendlies going on?

Last edited:

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
EDIT: @OP Thanks for the info. Another generic question, will there be friendlies?
Friendlies will be open from 10:30AM to 12:00PM.
For the start of Doubles and Singles, friendlies will most likely close until we get deep into the brackets. We will have a speaker set up which we will use to inform you guys when/which setups are open for friendlies. We ourselves are providing about 7 TVs and 3 full setups; the more setups people bring the more friendlies we can have. At this rate, we might have a total of 10 or so bought CRTs by the time of the tournament. So even if you can't bring a full setup, a Wii+both games will provide you the discount as long as we have an open TV for it.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
Sweet, I was wondering about how lenient the set up discount would be. I definitely need to go garage sale shopping for a CRT TV.

If my cousin isn't coming from Afghanistan, I'll be there for this event.

Last edited:

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
This sounds awesome! Beautiful upscale restaurant also and sundays work perfect for me. I know it's not as convenient as saturdays for others, but i'm sure there's still a group, including me, that can only make sundays due to one thing or another. looking forward to this one!

D

Deleted member

Sweet, I was wondering about how lenient the set up discount would be. I definitely need to go garage sale shopping for a CRT TV.

If my cousin isn't coming from Afghanistan, I'll be there for this event.
Goodwill sells a bunch of nice 13 or so inch CRTs for roughly 12 bucks or less.

---
Edit: I have to point this out:
For those who wish to watch the last day of Revival of Melee 7, we will be streaming that too via projector on our second floor.
A tournament inside a tournament?
TOURNAMENTCEPTION!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Didact25

Smash Rookie
This sounds awesome. It'll be my first tourny as well. Just to be sure, I have to arrive at 10am, sign up, and then can I come back at 3:30pm to be ready for PM singles?

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
This sounds awesome. It'll be my first tourny as well. Just to be sure, I have to arrive at 10am, sign up, and then can I come back at 3:30pm to be ready for PM singles?
As long as you register before noon and arrive half an hour early, there should be no problems for anyone wishing to do this. If possible, leaving any contact information with us would also be a great help.

Bobby_Corwen

Smash Rookie
I get out of work around noon but could be there before pm singles start, is there a way for me to add my name to the list without being there?

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
I get out of work around noon but could be there before pm singles start, is there a way for me to add my name to the list without being there?
Sure, tournament registration for all brackets are set to end at 12:00 PM so you can just call me before then and I'll put you in. Just be sure to come before the tournament you want to enter in starts, and I would advise you to come at least 30 minutes before then to get situated/warm-up.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Lookin pretty good! Having it on sunday makes it much harder for me to attend, but I'll see what I can do.

Any idea when we would have to finish by, out of curiosity?

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
when it says doubles is $10, is that per person or per team?

Payouts
IF MORE THAN 50 ENTRANTS IN ANY SINGLES TOURNAMENT, $100 BONUS POT

^ $100 pot bonus for each game?

Last edited:

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
Lookin pretty good! Having it on sunday makes it much harder for me to attend, but I'll see what I can do.

Any idea when we would have to finish by, out of curiosity?
If the number of entrants is high, we could (if needed) go all night without any complaints from the venue owners. Our restaurant is used to running until 2am for other (non smash) events, with our staff either getting home at 3-4am or spending the night there. That being said, just because we have the freedom to go all night doesn't justify us doing so; we want to finish early simply so our entrants can go home early. It's unfortunate that it conflicts with your schedule, but we hope to see you there.

when it says doubles is $10, is that per person or per team?

Payouts
IF MORE THAN 50 ENTRANTS IN ANY SINGLES TOURNAMENT, $100 BONUS POT

^ $100 pot bonus for each game?
Sorry for the confusion: it's $5 per person for a total of $10 per team. The $100 goes to each game that has >50 entrants (Singles pot only).
We'll clear this up later today. We've been waiting to finish up our thread/event until after DIME8.

Last edited:

Whoami40

Smash Rookie
I love that this is on Sunday! This will make it so much easier for me personally to make it to this one. Nice venue btw im very excited about this!

D

Deleted member

The fact that this is on sunday is kind of awkward for me, but the venue is close enough that I think I'll go

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
The fact that this is on sunday is kind of awkward for me, but the venue is close enough that I think I'll go
May I ask why? Busy Mondays? Church?

Also, if all you guys could state why Sundays are bad for you specifically, it would be extremely helpful. Although the date cannot be changed for now, the schedule can: if the main problem is people cannot afford to stay out late/lose sleep for the following day, then we could perhaps work something out e.g. run singles only so we finish a little earlier.

We want to get as many entrants as possible for our first tournament. Doing so would give us a lot of flexibility with the venue owners for future events.

D

Deleted member

I have school the next day so I can't be out very late at all, tourney would have to finish at like 9 which does seem possible

aninjahobo

Smash Rookie
Bringing a whole car full of people. Very excited on this amazing venue/restaurant.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
this sounds pretty cool. i'll still have to hold off on confirming til pretty much the weekend of, just due to potential schoolwork/etc... but if it's possible, i'll totally make it out : D

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps that you could answer me this question, how much dedicated space would be set aside for the tournament? Why is that question important? I know from personal experience that having a tournament at a business (a LAN center in my case) could effect attendance, and thus limit the amount of games that you could run. I averaged 25 while I was at the LAN center, and that was only on a 15x30 area of the building. Since I moved to my current digs, I still maintain my 25 average, but now I pick up some out of state interest, which is a plus.

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
Perhaps that you could answer me this question, how much dedicated space would be set aside for the tournament? Why is that question important? I know from personal experience that having a tournament at a business (a LAN center in my case) could effect attendance, and thus limit the amount of games that you could run. I averaged 25 while I was at the LAN center, and that was only on a 15x30 area of the building. Since I moved to my current digs, I still maintain my 25 average, but now I pick up some out of state interest, which is a plus.
Restaurant hours are closed on Sunday, so we've got the whole venue. The amount of games we could run depends on the amount of setups we get.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Also, if all you guys could state why Sundays are bad for you specifically, it would be extremely helpful.
For me, its work. I'm off on Saturdays, but Sunday is one of the busiest days of the week (since I work retail), so its kinda hard for me to get that day off.

D

Deleted member

Shouldn't this place be closer to you than the dime venue?

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Also, if all you guys could state why Sundays are bad for you specifically, it would be extremely helpful.
For me, it is a short term problem. I rely on the bus system (DART and The T) to get around Fort Worth and Dallas. The train that connects them, the TRE, doesn't run on Sundays.

Last edited:

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
I've posted on the fb page but posting here may help attract more positive attention to the venue.

Edit: oh I guess I forgot it already posted a while back

Sundays are perfect for me since 90% of the auto industry works mon-Saturday and closes Sundays. definitely excited to face off against everyone who makes it there, and the food pho house definitely beats out going to a KFC real quick.

Also I can bring a setup minus tv if someone can point me towards a copy of pm that has the stage ban ability at the select screen

Last edited:
Top Bottom