• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

****March 30th - Buy.com Lan 2007 [Anaheim, Cali]****

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
JC Media + Entertainment Presents...

'Console tournaments @ BUY.COM LAN 2007'

Where: Hyatt Regency
1999 Harbor Blvd.,
Garden Grove, California, USA 92840
Tel: 714.750.1234

When: March 30th - April 1st

Games:
Virtua Fighter 5 [1v1]
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike [1v1]
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection [1v1]
Super Smash Bros. Melee [1v1 only]
Gears of War [2v2]
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas [2v2]
Wii Sports Homerun Derby [FREE!! Prizes TBD]

FORMAT: Pools with top 2 advancing to make a 32 man bracket (double elim)

Guaranteed Cash Prizes:
1st $500/person
2nd $200/person
3rd $100/person

Prize money is GUARANTEED, and will be awarded via CHECK the same day. Prizes are per person. For example, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is a 1v1 game. First place will receive $500. Rainbow Six: Vegas is 4v4, each player on the winning team will receive $500 for a total of $2,000 per team.

Entry Fee: $25 per game

Rules: For complete rules on each game, please visit www.JC-Media.com and click on "Games List".

Match Settings

* All settings must stay on default in game settings, unless otherwises stated.
* Game version: US Nintendo Gamecube.
* Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
* It is highly recommended players bring personal controllers

Match Rules

* Rule 1: Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned.
* Rule 2: Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic.
* Breaking rule #1 will result in an immediate forfeit from the player.
* Breaking rule #2 a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
* Wireless controllers and controllers with turbo capabilities are prohibited.

Tournament Structure

* Double Elimination [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/double-elimination_tournament]
* The Open 1v1 is a Best of 3 Game Match, with 4 stocks, 6 minute timer with no items, Double Elimination Bracket.
* Each match will consist of 2 players.
* After losing a set, the player will fall into the Losers Bracket.
* A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.

Winners Finals

* The Winners Finals 1v1 is a Best of 5 Game Match, Double Elimination Bracket.
* After losing a set, the player will fall into the Losers Bracket.
* A loss in the Losers Bracket will result in elimination from the competition.

Losers Finals

* The Losers Finals is a Best of 5 Game Match, Double Elimination Bracket.
* After losing a set, the player will be eliminated from the competition.

Championship Finals

* The Championship Finals is a best of 7 game match.
* The winner of the Losers Finals match will have to beat the winner of the Winners Finals two complete sets.
* The winner of the Winners Finals match will have the beat the winner of the Losers Finals match one complete set.

Stages

* If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
* Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
* Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
* The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
* After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
* No stage may be used twice in any given set.

Registration
AT THE DOOR REGISTRATION BEGINS FRIDAY AT NOON AND CLOSES ONE HOUR PRIOR TO EACH TOURNAMENT START TIME !!! LATE ENTRANTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED !!!!

Pre-Registration is highly recommended --> Register here!

Event Schedule

**Friday**
Noon - 11pm

**Saturday**
10am - 11pm

**Sunday**
10am - 6pm

Tournament Schedule:

**Friday**
Super Smash Bros. Melee
128 person cap
Tournament STARTS 7pm

**Saturday**
Gears of War
64 team cap
Tournament STARTS 12Noon

Rainbow Six: Vegas
32 team cap
Tournament STARTS 5PM

**Sunday**
Virtua Fighter 5
128 person cap
Tournament STARTS 11AM

Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
128 person cap
Tournament STARTS 1PM

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
128 person cap
Tournament STARTS 3PM

Here is Buy.com's official press release:

Buy.com Announces Major Video Game Festival and LAN Party

Aliso Viejo, CA February 23, 2007— Buy.com today announced that it will kickoff its 10th year of being a leading internet retailer in style by hosting the first-ever Buy.com LAN (Local Area Network Party). Being called one of the largest West Coast video game events of 2007, the festival and Bring-Your-Own-Computer (BYOC) LAN party will be held at the Hyatt Regency in Anaheim from March 30th to April 1st, 2007. This 3-day event will attract gaming enthusiasts, competitive gamers, tech junkies and the over 9 million customers who have shopped at Buy.com for products ranging from computer hardware and software to electronics, games, books, movies, music, sporting goods and more.

The Buy.com LAN will include competitive and casual video game tournaments for PC and console, a private 200-seat BYOC area and exhibit booths from leading technology companies like Intel, ATI, ViewSonic and more! Tens of thousands of dollars in cash and sponsor product prizes will be handed-out over this 3-day event to tournament participants. The event will also feature stage shows, raffles and contests for spectators who plan on attending the event.

“What better way to start off our 10th Anniversary then to host a huge party for our loyal customers and the video gaming community,” said Herb Criscito, Vice President of Sales and Merchandising at Buy.com. “From the competitive video game tournaments to the awesome vendor exhibits, the Buy.com LAN event is going to stir up excitement for everyone!”

For more information and to register for the Buy.com LAN event, participants can sign up and purchase tickets at http://www.buy.com/LAN .

About Buy.com
Buy.com is a leading e-commerce company focused on providing its customers with a positive shopping experience and a broad selection of high-quality technology and entertainment retail goods at competitive prices. Buy.com offers over 2 million products in a range of categories including consumer electronics, computer hardware and software, cell phones, books, music, videos, games, digital music downloads, toys and sporting goods. Individuals and businesses can shop quickly and easily at Buy.com 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. Buy.com, founded in June of 1997, is located in Aliso Viejo, California. Buy.com® is a trademark of Buy.com Inc. Buy.com currently competes with a variety of companies that can be divided into two broad categories: (i) multi-category retailers such as Amazon.com and Wal-Mart and (ii) specialty retailers or manufacturers such as Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA and Dell. For additional information, please visit http://www.buy.com.

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
maybe we need to post about this tournament some more......

Sorry, but like I said before, we feel this event is one not to miss. We just want to share with smashers that this is a tournament not to miss.

Since I have your attention, do you think you will be coming out ?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what a strange manner of speech... extremely formal.

the prize money looks large 8D

The Game II

Smash Champion
I just saw ... 128 person limit starting at 7 p.m. I hope there are a lot of TVs and that this starts on time because I wonder how much people will really be into watching/competing at 1 a.m.

--GCII

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
Who is coming to the buy.com tournament on Friday ???

Ken is confirmed to attend, as well as many others.

I can not stress how big this tournament is for the community. Sponsors are looking
at this event to decide if they want to put up money for future events. Even if you don't play Smash, $5 for a day pass, you can chill with your friends at the expo. There will be a ton of stuff to do there, and it will be well worth you money.

Please post in the thread, there is no reason why anyone can not make it. Plenty of notice, HUGE venue, guaranteed prize money, and there will be TOP players flying in from all over FOR EVERY GAME (Tekken, 3s, Gears, Rainbow Six, Virtua Fighter)

This is a MAJOR TOURNAMENT!!!

JC Media + Entertainment just wants console gaming to BLOW UP!!! PLEASE support us in our mission. Check out the thread, and PRE-REGISTER!! You do not have to pay, just sign-up !

http://ems.esportsea.com/buylan/?a=register&eventid=53

Thank you for your time, and see you at the tournament.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
If you really want people to come, make it pools. Most people aren't willing to spend $25 to play 2 games at the minimum, and since the prize money is so much, theres going to be alot of competition. If there were pools, it would ensure that people get to play atleast two games, and they would get their moneys worth.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
^agreed. Im barely gonna be able to spend 20 for doubles, singles, and crews at UCLA, so theres no way I can pay 25 for Smash if Im probably just gonna get eliminated early.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I, and most other non-elite players, wouldn't even think about coming to this tourny because tournies like this are usually poorly organized, I don't want to wait for a bunch of lame games I don't play, and $25 is a joke of an entry fee.

Lit

Smash Ace
um yeah 25 is to much i understand 15 but not 25 lower the prices than ill might roll up there wit the rest of S.U.N

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
We will be doing pools. Sorry, I did not updated the rules in this thread.

We want to make everyone happy, and have the biggest turn-out possible.

We understand $25 is pretty high, but please understand this tournament is to show new sponsors what the smash community has to offer. I'm sure everyone will be pleased, and we are extremely excited about this event !!!

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
BIG UPDATE --

Over $50,000 in door prizes will be given away for those who PRE-REG for the buy.com tournaments !! Even those who do not enter a tournament, (only pre-reg for a day pass for $5) are eligible !!!

START PRE-REGISTERING !! IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
I, and most other non-elite players, wouldn't even think about coming to this tourny because tournies like this are usually poorly organized, I don't want to wait for a bunch of lame games I don't play, and $25 is a joke of an entry fee.

Smash is the only tournament on Friday

This tournament will NOT be poorly organized. We are a complete team who has done many gaming events successfully. We understand others have tried and failed, but we are experienced, and if we were not, we would not be coming all the way from the East Coast to run this event.

$25 is a little high, but you are getting a lot of 'bang' for your buck.

For example, anyone who pre-regs is added to a raffle to win $50,000 in cash and prizes including a $1,200 BRAND NEW TELEVISION.

We hope this changes your mind, and you will still come out.

JC Media

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I would like to attend but unfortunately I'm scheduled to work from 6pm - 11.

I'll see what I can do about switching my schedule.

And I don't want to force this on anyone, but I seriously think that if you guys have the day free, there is NO reason for you to not attend this tournament. Yes it's a bit pricey, but you guys pay about 10 bucks a tourney anyways, add 15 to it and you will get to enjoy the other things going on.

And I'm not saying this because I think you should add money to the pot, cuz it's a guaranteed prize.

I'm saying this because when I was coming up I didn't care what the entry fee was, it was irrelevant because every huge tourney brought a chance to learn something new and come closer to being able to win more consistently in the future. And everytime the community comes out to support such events, it shows sponsors and hosts alike that we are worth all their trouble.

And FYI I was poor and jobless back when I was playing too, but I always found a way to pay entry. No johns please.

Dodger

Smash Ace
I think 7 p.m is WAY too late to be starting a tourney, can't you guys start it earlier?

edit: actually never mind. A late time works out better because this is on a friday, not a saturday.

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
I would like to attend but unfortunately I'm scheduled to work from 6pm - 11.

I'll see what I can do about switching my schedule.

And I don't want to force this on anyone, but I seriously think that if you guys have the day free, there is NO reason for you to not attend this tournament. Yes it's a bit pricey, but you guys pay about 10 bucks a tourney anyways, add 15 to it and you will get to enjoy the other things going on.

And I'm not saying this because I think you should add money to the pot, cuz it's a guaranteed prize.

I'm saying this because when I was coming up I didn't care what the entry fee was, it was irrelevant because every huge tourney brought a chance to learn something new and come closer to being able to win more consistently in the future. And everytime the community comes out to support such events, it shows sponsors and hosts alike that we are worth all their trouble.

And FYI I was poor and jobless back when I was playing too, but I always found a way to pay entry. No johns please.

Thanks for the support !!

Good luck to everyone who is going to the Buy.com LAN 2007 event in Anaheim this weekend.

We are flying in tomorrow to make sure everything is perfect for you guys.

If you have any last minute questions, feel free to post up in the buy.com thread or email info@jc-media.com

See everyone this weekend !!

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
Here is the registration list so far.

Player
1.Arash (A. Ghafari) (Confirmed)
2.Brady (M. Brady) (Confirmed)
3.Drifter (K. Garcia) (Confirmed)
4.Greg Mysterio (G. Garcia) (Confirmed)
5.Katie (K. Cheng) (Confirmed)
6.Ken (K. Hoang) (Confirmed)
7.manacloud (m. hoang) (Confirmed)
8.Pat (P. Brady) (Confirmed)
9.spyderstyle (A. Franks) (Confirmed)
10.WoNDeR (r. sanchez) (Confirmed)

Pending List
1.ngopo (M. Ngo)
2.josh (j. wang)
3.Arogoth (A. Jones)
4.Kira (D. Kim)
5.**** (G. Alsasua)
6.Black Link of Death (S. Hogan)
7.ObiWan (A. Dee)
8.Dodger (R. King)

We are expecting at least 40 smashers !

JC Media.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Barring any major difficulties, we will be providing regular updates throughout the tournament (much like the UCLA Monthly II). So be sure to check it out.

--GCII

JC Media

Smash Apprentice
Tournament day is today !!!

Try to come at least 1 hr prior to the tournament starts. Registration at the desk closes 30 minutes before the tournament starts. Prepare for a large crowd/traffic. Arrive Early !!

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
interesting... but uh, I dont know most smashers real names, so results are kinda hard to understand.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Wow, nice job to Alex taking out Edrees, Arash, and Mana.

The last update was 20 minutes ago. Is it over now?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
DSF, myself, Arash and ken were all in the same bracket, and Manacloud was in his own (with dodger) on the opposite end.

Ken beat DSF 2nd round sending alex to losers. Ken sent arash to losers next, then he sent me to losers.

Then alex beat myself, Arash and mana (in that order) to make his way up to losers to face ken in the finals, and ken took first and alex got second, mana got third. That's how it worked.

Oh and don't take the results tooo seriously (not that anything surprising happened) but, every TV had 2-4 frames of lag :p

Arash

Smash Lord
there were only a few cons to this tourney, namely-

-bad seeding, i offered to help but the host said he'd handle it
-laggy LCD TVs
-didn't start on time
-a little unorganized, especially during the first rounds

but the good things, which i loved, are

-lots of attention given to smash, way more than MLG
-nicely setup stations
-checks are written the SAME DAY! AMAZING!
-raffles, prizes, etc
-great venue

mike, ken, helen, and I enjoyed going and would go to another one, the problems listed above can be fixed really easily.

edrees - we'll get our rematch at the triweekly? can't wait!

DSF - green greens? too good vs jiggs, though the laggy TV was too much for me:(

roger - kirby too good! you were holding your own vs mike, good ish

nezumi - always a pleasure

game II - tournament website is awesome!

hosts - thanks for holding the tourney

everyone else - thanks for coming:)

The Game II

Smash Champion
interesting... but uh, I dont know most smashers real names, so results are kinda hard to understand.
Apparently, buy.com gave jc-media (tournament organizers) the real names of the competitors instead of people's handles. I didn't want to do half and half for the tournament, so I went with real names the whole way.

Also, from what I was told, those TVs had to be used because of sponsorship reasons. Yeah, that crap was just insane lag.

In regard to the bracket - I put up the first-round and second-round matches, but then people quit early and/or got DQed, so everything changed. If I remember right, one player lost, and his gf got so pissed he lost that they both left. lol

I didn't notice that dsf and ken were going to meet second round until someone pointed it out.

Great to see everyone out there today and I hope to see everyone tomorrow either in LA or back at Anaheim.

--GCII

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
One of THEE best tournaments in Socal Ever!!

for all you missed it, YOU SUCK!

Also they gave out so many things it was insane, free stuff left and right! althought I didn't notice I was wearing my MLG sweater until someone there actually pointed it out. I feel really bad now =_= lol

Top Bottom