• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[March 15, 2014] Action Replay I - East Lansing, MI

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
ACTION REPLAY I
March 15, 2014

East Lansing, MI
State-Sponsored Smackdowns by
General Heinz (Elliot), Miracle Fruit (Dawei), and Swanky (Travis)
With the success of our last biweekly and our seemingly solidified status as one of Replay Entertainment's Saturday gaming event, Dawei has suggested a name change to Action Replay, both to represent our awesome moves and our highly supportive venue. Again, these will be biweekly events, though this one was delayed an extra week due to spring break.

VENUE
Replay Entertainment Exchange
1385 East Grand River Ave
East Lansing, MI 48823

Replay is located in Brookefield plaza, down near the intersection of Grand River and Hagadorn. Other locations in that strip include Everyday Chinese restaurant, Bagger Dave's, and the infamous Wings Over, so there's plenty of food to refuel on later in the day. The venue itself is a store that offers a huge selection of games, movies, and music spanning the last several decades of those media, and has recently started selling Magic cards by the bucketload. Be sure to give the place a browse between matches!

SCHEDULE
12pm Venue opens
12pm-1pm Registration for Melee and P:M singles
1pm-5pm Melee and P:M singles

Entry is $5 each for Melee and P:M and there is no venue fee.

Again, this schedule is not particularly strict, and if there is sufficient interest in running a doubles bracket for either game then we will have to plan accordingly for that, as there definitely would be time for it (as long as we have enough setups).

RULES
-Standard "respect the players, respect the venue" stuff. The tourney is obviously running during regular hours for the store, so in the event that people are browsing the place just try to be accommodating. The back space that we are utilizing now should mitigate any issues like that though, as it's not really in the way of anything.
-Try to eat either before bracket starts or at least when you know you don't have to play for a while. Since this is a relatively small local though, as long as you're communicative with the TOs (Dawei, Travis, and myself), then there shouldn't be any problems.
-Make sure to report your matches! I'll be walking around checking on various sets though so this shouldn't be an issue, but do let me or Dawei (Miracle_Fruit) know (Travis in the case of PM).

MELEE RULESET
-All matches are 4-stock, 8:00, items OFF.
-Sets are best of three; semis and finals are best of five.
-If a game times out, the winner is determined by stock, then by percentage.
-Melee stagelist:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Dreamland 64
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium (counterpick)
-For game one of a best of three set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking then proceeds in this order: 1) The winner of the first game bans one stage, 2) the loser chooses a stage, 3) the winner may opt to change character, 4) the loser may opt to change character.
-For game one of a best of five set, players take turns striking neutral stages (the first five stages above) in a 1-2-1 fashion and play on the stage that remains. Counterpicking proceeds as usual, but the winning player cannot ban any stages.
-DAVE'S STUPID RULE: A player may not choose a stage they have already won on in that set.
-GENTLEMAN'S CLAUSE: Any stage may be played as long as both players agree to it.

PM Ruleset TBA.

TO CONTACT
Melee: General Heinz (Elliot) - (269) 760-3618, Miracle Fruit (Dawei) - (510) 948-1124
PM: Swanky (Travis) - (586) 718-8282

We got a great turnout last time, so I'm hoping we can manage that again this weekend. Please post either here or on the Michigan State Smash Facebook page if you are interested in running doubles for either Melee or PM. The main reason we didn't do it last time is because a lot of people had already left by the time Melee singles was over, and it would have been rather impromptu and too small to justify a full bracket. In the event that we plan to do doubles, we will probably opt to do them before singles.
In any case, hope to see you all there!

Last edited:

Addyguy

Smash Rookie
definitely down for doubles if we can get enough even or a small side event.
-miles

Top Bottom