• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marc Hagen: The Future Of Custom Moves In Smash 4

Alter Requiem

Red Panties Ambassador
NNID
AlterRequiem
Customs should be off for competitive play. People shouldn't have to rely on gimmicks. Vanilla sm4sh or melee here I gooooo
Theyre only gimmicks until you learn the moves. Thats like taking someone who has never fought a jiggypuff before annihilating them with rest stock after stock and then them saying "NO FAIR i didnt know that was a move!!" ****ing learn them. Like every other matchup in the game. Stop being lazy just because something finally counters your campy rosalina or broken aerial sheik.

11wildy

Smash Rookie
The way I see it is that customs should be turned off, be used only for casual play/smaller tournaments, because of the DLC characters not getting them, thus giving an unfair advantage to all other characters, simply because they have more options.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The way I see it is that customs should be turned off, be used only for casual play/smaller tournaments, because of the DLC characters not getting them, thus giving an unfair advantage to all other characters, simply because they have more options.
But you are saying it's completely fair for character who have their default set as their best already?

11wildy

Smash Rookie
But you are saying it's completely fair for character who have their default set as their best already?
It is always the case that a character is better than another, it's impossible to make everything equally good. But none of the DLC characters is the best, and don't get any other options, while characters like Villager become good because of their customs. It just makes the DLC characters less viable because you're stuck with one set, while others can mix up to the point of 3 different moves per slot. And with or without customs, there will be some unfairness in that some characters have better moves than others, the difference only being which characters those are.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It is always the case that a character is better than another, it's impossible to make everything equally good. But none of the DLC characters is the best, and don't get any other options, while characters like Villager become good because of their customs. It just makes the DLC characters less viable because you're stuck with one set, while others can mix up to the point of 3 different moves per slot. And with or without customs, there will be some unfairness in that some characters have better moves than others, the difference only being which characters those are.
So neither option has any real difference to balance. You beat your own argument.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Poor palutena and Mii Brawlers who are forced to not use customs despite having them already unlocked.
Poor DLC characters who don't have Custom moves and costing money to own.
Even though I'm a Peach main I feel bad for these guys.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm going to host my own weekly sm4sh tourney starting next week, and I'm going to try and push for customs, but I'm going to have a vote, and it seems like most players in my region (new england, the tourney is in new hampshire, level up smash at level up games in manchester NH) seem to disparage customs because of what they saw at evo. I now realize I need to watch the evo top 32...

Afrobandit

Smash Rookie
What about for now we have customs off and in this "customs off period" we use the time to unlock the customs. I doubt the Sm4sh scene will simply disappear in a year or so. Assuming the scene goes on for years, there really is no excuse as we have the time to implement them at the very least for the future. Simply upload them from a 3ds (use powersaves/action replay etc. to unlock them all instantly) or use a turbo controller (pick Ganon, have "A" constantly "pressed" in Target Blast) or manually if need be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom