• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 8, 2014] Fight Night at the Dojo - Melee/Project M (Lebanon, NH)

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
FIGHT NIGHT AT THE DOJO
Melee/Project M

Where:

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu of the Upper Valley
45 Hanover St.
Lebanon, NH 03766

When:
Saturday, March 8th 3:00-Finish

Costs:
$5 venue fee
$3-$5 per tournament entry
Hey everyone,

Welcome to Fight Night at the Dojo! This is a tournament/smashfest that I plan to continue regularly (bi-weekly?) if all goes well. The Twin States smash scene has always been very quiet and divided, so I hope to be able to bring everyone together in order to foster some great competition. Both Melee and Project M will be played, so if you play either of those games you will have a good time here!

Smashfest/Tournament Setup

Because this is the first event at this place, it is hard to pin down numbers of participants. As such, people are free to sign up for any tournament they would like - Melee singles/doubles and Project M singles/doubles. These tournaments will not be capped, and can be very small, but if there are five or less entrants we will not run an official bracket. At that point it's easier to play money matches anyhow.

If this event takes off, and I have confidence it will, this will become more set in stone. For this first outing, let's just make sure to have fun!

Venue

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu of the Upper Valley is a martial arts dojo that I train at. The owner, who is a gamer himself, has graciously allowed me to set up a tournament in his space. It is very wide open with several outlets and lots of room for people to hang out and play smash. It is also located above a pizza place/bar and an Asian restaurant/bar, which makes eating at the venue easy. And delicious. It is less than a mile off of I-89's exit 18, and quite easy to find.

We will be able to play from 3:00 until the building closes, possibly even later past then.

Setups

In short, we need them! I can account for three, possibly four setups. Past that, we need your help. If you have a CRT and a GameCube/Wii to play smash on (and if you regularly play smash you probably do) please bring it! We sadly cannot provide you with a refund on your venue fee this time, but I will personally come and carry it all upstairs from your car and set it up for you if you so desire.

Rules

Tournament brackets will abide by Apex 2014 rulesets.

Melee Rules
Project M Rules

Last of all...
Spread the word! Smashfests are more fun the more people that attend. Come, bring your friends, make new friends, and have an awesome time! I'm excited to meet you all. For any questions, email me at barrett.womack1@gmail.com.

Hype!

Bstuk

Smash Cadet
Yay finally, a tournament around Vermont that I can go to! I will be bringing at least 2 friends, possibly more.

For setups I can bring 2 CRTs, a cube and a wii.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Awesome! It would help me out greatly if everyone can let me know if they're bringing a setup/how many people they will be coming with so I have a sense of numbers.

Get some training in before this weekend!

Landry

Smash Ace
Hey is anyone gonna be passing by Plymouth on their way to this? We've got three players (including myself) who are interested in coming to this but we haven't work out transportation yet. Obviously we'd be willing to pitch in on gas and whatnot.

Ryan Guidotti

Smash Rookie
I am a first timer to the dojo. A few times I have tried to find the location but could not. I would like to partake in the tournament. Could someone please tell me if it's up the stairs to the right of the Village Pizza entrance near the river?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
I am a first timer to the dojo. A few times I have tried to find the location but could not. I would like to partake in the tournament. Could someone please tell me if it's up the stairs to the right of the Village Pizza entrance near the river?
Yep, that's the place!

Landry

Smash Ace
So yeah, it looks like we'll have at least 3 coming from PSU. I'll try to bring a TV and Cube, but no promises.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
So yeah, it looks like we'll have at least 3 coming from PSU. I'll try to bring a TV and Cube, but no promises.
Great! If you can we'd really appreciate it, there's nothing worse than having to wait for a setup to open during bracket.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Oh man I'm so jelly! Sounds like it will be a good time, glad you're getting this moving theberrit! I'll be home on the 19th so I should be able to attend one around the end of the month, though I don't know how free I'll be the first week back. I definitely want to attend the Northeastern Tournament on the 29th so hopefully you and Bailey can get your acts together. I have a full setup to bring to any events.

I've been training mentally for Zard, ZSS and Lucas. And hoping to pick up Pit and Sonic when I get back, but I don't know how much practice I'll get in before the 29th. You should organize the next biweekly right before the Boston tourney so we (I) can get some warm ups going. Is Bailey still playing a lot of Snake? Has he seen how nasty Rolex is? Are you still super annoying with Ivy? The PSU gang is good, I vouch for their skills so do what you can to get them there!

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Oh man I'm so jelly! Sounds like it will be a good time, glad you're getting this moving theberrit! I'll be home on the 19th so I should be able to attend one around the end of the month, though I don't know how free I'll be the first week back. I definitely want to attend the Northeastern Tournament on the 29th so hopefully you and Bailey can get your acts together. I have a full setup to bring to any events.

I've been training mentally for Zard, ZSS and Lucas. And hoping to pick up Pit and Sonic when I get back, but I don't know how much practice I'll get in before the 29th. You should organize the next biweekly right before the Boston tourney so we (I) can get some warm ups going. Is Bailey still playing a lot of Snake? Has he seen how nasty Rolex is? Are you still super annoying with Ivy? The PSU gang is good, I vouch for their skills so do what you can to get them there!
It sounds like PSU is coming so that's pretty awesome. I figured out Ivysaur's new timings - I don't like the new way she's balanced (backair > everything) but there are some good parts to it as well. Bailey plays whoever he wants - this is not new.

From people I've talked to privately, and who are on the groups, we may have 20+! Talk this up with your friends so we can have an awesome time!

AND BRING SETUPS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Landry

Smash Ace
Hey fellas, just FYI me and the PSU guys are not gonna be able to make it today. We had some last minute stuff come up where one of our guys has work and also I'm having a medical issue going on with my eyes, so we just decided to bail on this one. I'm really bummed about it though, I wanted to come a lot. Next time we'll definitely be there!

Last edited:

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
yeah, i'll be around on Friday thederrit! Can we have one then? Pretty Please?

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
That's what I figured. I'll be back in Burlington for the week by then. But I'll try to meet up with you and Bailey on Friday anyway if either of you are free.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Will this be happening next week? Also, about how many people showed up last time?
Yes it is! Look for the link below. There were 20 individual participants!

How did this tourney go? Are there plans for another one?
This tournament went very well! Everyone had a great time, the venue was very cooperative, and we got in some great smash.

EVERYONE - Fight Night at the Dojo 2 is this Saturday! Come and bring a friend, we're going to have an awesome time!

Top Bottom