• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 29, 2014] STJ Smash 2: Melee/PM/Brawl Singles, Melee Doubles, Pokemon XY -... (Jamaica, NY)

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie

Events: Melee Singles/Doubles, Project M 3.02 Singles/Doubles, Brawl Singles, Pokemon X/Y
Date: ***Saturday 3/29*** DATE CHANGED, SEE BELOW
Entry Fees: $10 per singles event, $10 per team for doubles events ($5/person)

Schedule (signups are open until the listed times, however in the interest of time there will be no signing up once the event starts):
11AM - Signups Begin!
Noon - Brawl Singles and Pokemon X/Y Begin!
1:30PM - Melee Doubles Begins!
2:30PM - Project M Doubles Begins!
4PM - Melee Singles Begins!
7PM - Project M Singles Begins!

Player Cap: Pokemon XY will be capped at 16 players, and the Doubles events will be capped at 8 teams each. Melee, PM and Brawl Singles will not be capped.

Discounts are available for people who bring setups:
Bring only a system + disk: 20% off all entry fees!
Bring only a TV: 30% off (50% off if it's a CRT) all entry fees!
Bring both: 50% off (70% off if it's a CRT) all entry fees!
Plan on bringing multiples of things? Message Mike to arrange setup, transportation etc.

To be eligible for these rewards the system and game must be approved for and used in the tournament. Also, if you plan on bringing these things to the event, please come early so we can set up on time.

All additional information (including full rules) can be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1RTiws_1IatcFltLWluaEVBWjQ/edit

Travel and Parking Information

Driving: The easiest way to get here is to take the Northern State Pkwy to exit 19 and follow the signs to the University, which is not very far from the exit.

On the weekends there is parking available for anyone on campus. In case it is full (probably not) there is free parking on the blocks around campus. The best places to park are either the main entrance on Utopia Parkway or the soccer stadium entrance, which is on the corner of Utopia and Union Turnpike.

Public Transit: You can take the LIRR to Jamaica Station and either the Q30 or Q31 to the Union, or the F train to Hillside Avenue and walk about a half-mile to the campus.

Food Options

D'Angelo Center itself has a Starbucks, Taco Bell, Chinese food, and many other options. There is also a Dunkin Donuts, Subway, and Burger King in the adjacent Marillac Hall.

Last edited:

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
If you plan on attending, please pre-register for the events using the links below.

*You will still be able to register the day of the event* This is only being done to get an idea of how many people will be attending, and alter the schedule if we need to.

Melee Singles - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/62Zb3zvea3
Melee Doubles - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/yOfFQdVdIg
PM Singes - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/0WU7WQqIxd
Brawl Singles - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/7pc0UVaeTs
Pokemon X/Y - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/dUQqiLb1uu

Last edited:

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
IIRC last time the winner of each event got $60 and 2nd got $25 and 3rd got $10 (but that was with a $5 entry fee). We're hoping to get more people than last time though so hopefully we can get over $100 for the winner.

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
Is this spread thru youtube? facebook? twitter? anyway at all, spread it thru every way

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, St. John's in their infinite wisdom messed up our room reservations, and we won't be able to run the event on 3/15. I know, university bureaucracy johns are the worst kind of johns, but there really isn't anything we can do that won't jeopardize our bid to become an official club for the next school year.

So we will have to push this event back to 3/29. Sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to use this extra time to make this event bigger and better than before.

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
Is this spread thru youtube? facebook? twitter? anyway at all, spread it thru every way
We have a Facebook event page (see the first page) and its being posted all over the relevant NYC Facebook group pages as well, as well as in /r/smashbros and /r/ssbpm. We will soon be putting this on twitter and other places. We hope that this will spread as much as possible. The more people come the better chance STJ Smash can be accepted as an official school organization, allowing us to get school funding to run bigger and more frequent events (kinda like the Stony Brook events).

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
I am excited to announce that we will be adding Project M Doubles to the list of events! See the first post for an updated schedule.

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
Rules document in the 1st post updated!

- Meta Knight is no longer banned for Brawl Singles
- Doubles Stage Lists added

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198
Definitely going to this for PM singles. This will be my very first tournament. One question though: Is there a venue fee, or do we just pay for entry fee alone?

Last edited:

AireX

Smash Rookie
Definitely going to this for PM singles. This will be my very first tournament. One question though: Is there a venue fee, or do we just pay for entry fee alone?
God ****ing damnit. I wanted to Loiter for free.

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
No venue fee, just the entry fee.

As a side note, PM Singles is looking to be the biggest event out of all of them by far based on pre-registrations. 3x as many as Melee or Brawl.

Last edited:

ライオン

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiotSword
3DS FC
5214-9919-0198
No venue fee, just the entry fee.

As a side note, PM Singles is looking to be the biggest event out of all of them by far based on pre-registrations. 3x as many as Melee or Brawl.
OK, thanks. I may even signup for PM doubles if a friend of mine is up for it.

starfox1993

Smash Apprentice
Trying to go for pm singles but work in the mourning. If I'm there before 7 can I still able to sign up?

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
VENUE CONFIRMED: D'ANGELO CENTER ROOM 207! FOR THOSE WHO WENT TO OUR FIRST EVENT, IT IS THE SAME ROOM AS LAST TIME.

And yes, you can sign up for that event at any time before the event starts. Same applies for every other event.

Vicdurr

Smash Rookie
Hopefully, this is gonna be my first ever tournament.

Just out of curiosity though, is PM singles really gonna be run that late?
Especially since PM Singles is apparently the largest?

Last edited:

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
Tryin' real hard to move it back to 6 without affecting everything else, but the logistics as it is right now make it very hard. If anything we'd have move everything an hour back to make it earlier, which is something we're considering.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
I will attend this I'm in queens 15 mins from St johns and have friends who go there

But how is St Johns Melee scene and
Will this be streamed/do yall need help setting up a stream and bring 2 setups

And a ST Johns melee group / Scene would be hype

I'll def carpool some known nyc /queens players to this

I'm $LED btw

Last edited:

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
I will attend this I'm in queens 15 mins from St johns and have friends who go there

I'll def carpool some known nyc /queens players to this

I'm $LED btw
Awesome!

But how is St Johns Melee scene and
Will this be streamed/do yall need help setting up a stream and bring 2 setups
And a ST Johns melee group / Scene would be hype
We have a small scene and nearly all Project M players. Some play Melee but Project M is the main game here (which kind of explains why PM has way more people signing up for it right now than anything else).

We don't have streaming equipment but if you or someone could bring the equipment we would totally love to stream the event from start to finish.

The setups would also be great, more setups the better.

Vicdurr

Smash Rookie
How are signups going to work? I have a friend who would like to go and play doubles with me, but he might not be able to be able to come so early

Tyler Ruziak

Smash Cadet
Is it right on the map above? Cuz i went to google maps and i got 3 different locations and the one above was starbucks.

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
If you're getting Starbucks or BoA, its because there is a Starbucks and BoA ATM in D'Angelo Center (as well as a Taco Bell, Chinese food, and other things also).

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
How are signups going to work? I have a friend who would like to go and play doubles with me, but he might not be able to be able to come so early
Don't worry, you can sign up for any event up until the start times as long as they aren't filled yet.

I will be handling the signups, when you get there find the guy in the Jigglypuff shirt and I'll put you in the bracket/calculate the fees and stuff. People are considered officially signed up when the entry fee is paid. For doubles, we will require both teammates to be present at the time of signups. We unfortunately only have the time and space to take 8 teams and we have the feeling there will be more than 8 teams showing up for both events. But we can take your names down and put you in the bracket when your partner shows up in case there aren't 8 teams at that time.

Last edited:

NYGreenandwhite

Smash Rookie
Current preregistration numbers:

Project M Singles: 16(!)
Brawl Singles: 6
Melee Singles: 4
Pokemon XY: 3

These obviously aren't close to the final numbers since not everyone who is going is preregistered.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I would have come to this had I known about it before today.

Top Bottom