• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 15, 2014] Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown (PATS) 4 (Houston, Texas)

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Venue
Texadelphia (http://www.texadelphia.com/find-a-location/houston/12)
6025 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77057
We will have an entire rather large room to ourselves, plenty of onsite parking, and NO VENUE FEE (keep in mind that the venue is free under the assumption that some people who attend the tournament will buy food/drinks here, so eating here is highly encouraged. The food is great, I highly recommend their queso.)

Doors open at 12:00, and tournament registration will end at 1:30, SO GET THERE BEFORE 1:30. The tournament will then start as soon as brackets are made. If you are running a little late, give me a call at 713 702 6028 and I will register you if you are reasonably close.

Tournament Rules

• The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • Pause is set to off
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Double Elimination
  • All sets are best of 3, except semi-finals and finals rounds (in winners and losers), and losers quarters, which are best of 5
  • FOR BEST OF 5 MATCHES- Dave's stupid rule: A player cannot counter pick a stage they have previously won on in a set. However, there are no bans. (there are bans for best of 3 matches)
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a stock and percentage tie, a one-stock match will be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
Stage List
Singles:
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Final Destination
Dreamland
Battlefield
Counter Picks: Pokemon Stadium

Doubles:
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination
Dreamland
Battlefield
Counter Picks: Kongo Jungle 64

Entry Fee
Singles: 10
Double: 5 (each)
NO VENUE FEE!!!

Live Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/texasmelee

If anyone from out of city/state needs a place to stay, just post, there are plenty of Houston players willing to house people. Bring setups! Eat at the venue! NO LATE ENTRIES, SO SHOW UP ON TIME, DOORS OPEN AT 12:00, REGISTRATION ENDS AT 1:30. Let me know if I left anything out!

Last edited:

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Sick, can't wait. Anyone need a doubles partner?

Diglob

Smash Cadet
As it stands, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to attend this. My Samus, which I have been practicing intensely to once again ruin Frisbie's day as a TO, shall once more make a glorious appearance.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
As it stands, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to attend this. My Samus, which I have been practicing intensely to once again ruin Frisbie's day as a TO, shall once more make a glorious appearance.
>.>

Obito

Smash Rookie
I guess this will be my first real smash tourney. Awesome that all these events are happening in houston.

RayMyFurio

Banned via Warnings
You scrubs better hope im not attending this tournament because my mario is like 18 inches long and will **** you up without lubricant

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
You scrubs better hope im not attending this tournament because my mario is like 18 inches long and will **** you up without lubricant
If you come, find me and I'll mm you, mario dittos, best of 5

Last edited:

RayMyFurio

Banned via Warnings
If you come, find me and I'll mm you, mario dittos, best of 5

edit: Also, I changed the singles entry fee from 10$ to 5$
Good job cutting my prize money in half. Not that i didnt know that you did this on purpose to keep me from taking phat stacks of paper from all you baddies.

Either way, youre on wonderbread, mario is probably far too technical for someone like yourself to handle. With such obese hands like yours you should probably stick with doc so you dont get your fingers wedged underneath the c stick attempting to perform nasty mario tech skill

Last edited:

RayMyFurio

Banned via Warnings
Frisbie is cheapening the integrity of pats. However if any of you are looking to spend more than 5 bucks feel free to join the que for MMs with myself

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Good job cutting my prize money in half. Not that i didnt know that you did this on purpose to keep me from taking phat stacks of paper from all you baddies.

Either way, youre on wonderbread, mario is probably far too technical for someone like yourself to handle. With such obese hands like yours you should probably stick with doc so you dont get your fingers wedged underneath the c stick attempting to perform nasty mario tech skill
I have a feeling that maybe, just maybe, this is Papa Stone

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
All the previous PATS were $10 tourneys; why change this one to $5?
Well I originally did it because I wanted more people to enter, because Houston doesn't have many tournaments and I wanted to give more people the opportunity to get better, but then I remembered that Houston has weekly tournaments now lol. Singles is now back up to 10$

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Well I originally did it because I wanted more people to enter, because Houston doesn't have many tournaments and I wanted to give more people the opportunity to get better, but then I remembered that Houston has weekly tournaments now lol. Singles is now back up to 10$
Oooooh doubling the wages now are we? Freesbie is getting cocky

Denti

Smash Master
Why doesn't this have Project M yet? I'd understand if the game wasnt your cup of tea but it does raise attendants for both Melee and Brawl events.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Why doesn't this have Project M yet? I'd understand if the game wasnt your cup of tea but it does raise attendants for both Melee and Brawl events.
PM is fun, but I prefer Melee. Running just Melee doubles and singles is a lot easier than running PM events alongside them. I realize someone else could run PM, but that means that not only will setups have to be dedicated to the event, but that people will be have PM and Melee matches, making both brackets go slower. If I run the events separately, it will take roughly twice as long to run the tournament. By just focussing on Melee, not only will the event run more smoothly, but I will have more time to do things such as running pools to give newer players more experience and to possibly run an amateur bracket. Plus, my tournaments always have had great turnouts, with Mojo, Arc, Tirno, MT, and Jake13 coming to all of them, plus out of state players have attended almost all of them. These tournaments are some of the most stacked that Texas has had, so I'm not worried about increasing attendance too much. Anyone who actually wants to get good at this game and has the means to come will

USUX_LEGEND

Banned via Warnings
Freesbie mentioned on the houston melee facebook group on how it would be an inconvenience to himaelf and others to hosr too many events and risk going late. Its nothing to do with spite, if mt gave you that impression its because mt is more free than freesbie and will end up having to beg me to give him back his bus money after our MM so he could sleep under a roof

Denti

Smash Master
I get that. I'm just choosing between this tournament and another one and it looks like I'll choose the other because it will have a Brawl & PM. I wanna get my ass kicked in Melee so I can get better.

Zhea

Smash Ace
If you don't have passion for a game, why would you spend an entire day of your time for free, working hard so that people could play it?

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
If you don't have passion for a game, why would you spend an entire day of your time for free, working hard so that people could play it?
I'm pretty sure if someone just called Oracle or Sethlon up they'd be more than happy to help host. Hell, even G-Rabbit might do it for you.
It's too late now, just a reflection on that thought.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure if someone just called Oracle or Sethlon up they'd be more than happy to help host. Hell, even G-Rabbit might do it for you.
It's too late now, just a reflection on that thought.
It's not about that, it's a time thing. PM would take up setups and people would have matches in both games, delaying all the events. Plus I don't really like PM that much, I'd honestly sooner have a side tourney for smash 64, which I actually meant to do but forgot.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
It's not about that, it's a time thing. PM would take up setups and people would have matches in both games, delaying all the events. Plus I don't really like PM that much, I'd honestly sooner have a side tourney for smash 64, which I actually meant to do but forgot.
Do this next time. I want smash 64 so bad. My puff is so raw

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I'd absolutely be willing to host any PM tournaments, but I 100% agree with Frisbie on this. PATS as been a great series and has ran really efficiently (I only went to PATS 3, but I've heard good things about the others), and that's largely due to not having to split entrants between games and instead only focusing on one. I don't see myself traveling to many Melee only tournaments for a while, but it's an amazing game and definitely deserves at least some events that it doesn't have to share its attention with other games (as any great game does). I hope today went well, Frisbie.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
having hosting melee/pm events

since people enter both, there have been times where we've literally had to wait for 30 minutes+ because someone is in the other event

=/

Last edited:

Tomato_Sucking_Camel

Banned via Warnings
Why do PM players keep trying to raid our events. Project Brawl needs to stay out of our tournaments, yal are as cancerous as Brawl players. Your game aint melee improved, its glorified Brawl.

Inb4 "b-but its Project Melee not Project Brawl!"

No its not, its a ****ty game and will never be accepted by melee players as anything but a ****ty version of melee that plays like brawl. You fedora wearing losers need to seriously stop with this.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Why do PM players keep trying to raid our events. Project Brawl needs to stay out of our tournaments, yal are as cancerous as Brawl players. Your game aint melee improved, its glorified Brawl.

Inb4 "b-but its Project Melee not Project Brawl!"

No its not, its a ****ty game and will never be accepted by melee players as anything but a ****ty version of melee that plays like brawl. You fedora wearing losers need to seriously stop with this.
Your view is not indicative of how all of us in the Melee community feel. I've been a Melee player since 2005. Love Melee, not fond of Brawl, love PM. Even so, Smash is Smash. The true cancer in the community are elitists in any title acting like there is not value to the series other than their game (I see it from people from each game). As D1 said, we have to live One Unit to truly be as successful as possible.

Top Bottom