• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 1, 2014] Smash Carolina III: Revenge of the Scrubs (Melee/Project M) (Greenville, SC)

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
So.... are the teams pre-decided or are the members chosen at the tourney itself? And it's just two crews, right? What are draft crews? I'm guessing "SC vs the World" is the SC players against the players from other states, right? And one last question, what PM characters are most seen at tourneys? Oh, I googled these and couldn't find answers.
Draft crews are where you get two captains for each crew and they take turns picking crew mates. And as for most seen characters, there really isnt a preference. Everyone plays some one different.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Draft crews are probably the best option. And i will stay until midnight if thats what it tales to do crews
I think the venue owners will mind lol.

So.... are the teams pre-decided or are the members chosen at the tourney itself? And it's just two crews, right? What are draft crews? I'm guessing "SC vs the World" is the SC players against the players from other states, right? And one last question, what PM characters are most seen at tourneys? Oh, I googled these and couldn't find answers.
A crew battle is one crew vs. another crew.

For the P:M characters seen at tourneys it probably depends on the region. There'll be spacies pretty much anywhere you go though.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Don't worry guys, Lizalfos is very scrubby productive and good at smash. :awesome:

No, seriously bro, your post didn't make much sense. Get some sleep.

And hold off on random comments on this thread.

Edit: Are we going to have paper on the TV's so we know which stations which? I can't remember stuff like that. Also something to show whether people are doing a tournament match or friendlies? That would help with showing so the tournament could run much smoother. It would also help people join matches and not ask people who were in a tournament match to see if they could join friendlies for some dubz or a FFA.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I'd like to be on the RSVP maybe list. Excited to participate. Hopefully the SC upstate will develop a decent scene too.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
Crud, my friend [S5565] says after SM4SH comes out he won't play PM anymore. And he's the only person I know who's at my skill level that plays PM. My other friend isn't that good, and my parents are over-protective as crap, so they won't let me go to tourneys without a friend. I guess I could train with my other friend, but if he gets his butt kicked at any tourneys, he probably won't play PM again. Thus ends my Project M career, sadly.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I'm still fiddling with the schedule. It might be changed to Melee Dubs -> Melee Singles ->P:M Dubs -> P:M Singles -> 64. Would that work better, you think?

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
I has more questions! First, about how long would a crew battle take? Second, if you're not entering in an event, such as Melee Singles/Dubz, do you just watch what's goin' on or play friendlies? And third, which is more of a statement than a question, I have no idea how good I am at PM, I've never fought anyone other than my friend, and I can beat him almost effortlessly. For training, I typically set up a team battle, Me vs two level 9 computers set to random. I normally can defeat them fairly easily [Is that proper English?] while only losing a stock or two. Does this mean I suck or not? I played Brawl for a while, [Hence my name, BladerDaBrawler] but I'm way better at PM than I ever was at Brawl. I played against people online with Brawl, but I would almost always lose against their mains, but I could snag an occasional victory against one of their secondaries [I would normally win about one out of every seven battles, but I always felt like they were going easy on me, experimenting with combos they hadn't tried before]. I know without a doubt I'm better in PM, because my friend is about as good in PM as he was in Brawl, and when battling him in Brawl, we were equals, just trading victories, I would win one or two, then he would make a comeback, but in Project M I can defeat him without much difficulty. If it's not too much trouble, could you [and by you, I don't mean anyone in particular, just whoever happens to be reading this post] please do some Wi-Fi training battles with me? I can normally battle between 3:00pm to 7:00pm. I'm sorry if this post had too many rabbit-trails, I just type whatever comes to mind, when it comes to mind. :grin:

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I has more questions! First, about how long would a crew battle take? Second, if you're not entering in an event, such as Melee Singles/Dubz, do you just watch what's goin' on or play friendlies? And third, which is more of a statement than a question, I have no idea how good I am at PM, I've never fought anyone other than my friend, and I can beat him almost effortlessly. For training, I typically set up a team battle, Me vs two level 9 computers set to random. I normally can defeat them fairly easily [Is that proper English?] while only losing a stock or two. Does this mean I suck or not? I played Brawl for a while, [Hence my name, BladerDaBrawler] but I'm way better at PM than I ever was at Brawl. I played against people online with Brawl, but I would almost always lose against their mains, but I could snag an occasional victory against one of their secondaries [I would normally win about one out of every seven battles, but I always felt like they were going easy on me, experimenting with combos they hadn't tried before]. I know without a doubt I'm better in PM, because my friend is about as good in PM as he was in Brawl, and when battling him in Brawl, we were equals, just trading victories, I would win one or two, then he would make a comeback, but in Project M I can defeat him without much trouble. If it's not too much trouble, could you please do some Wi-Fi training battles with me? I can normally battle between 3:00pm to 7:00pm. I'm sorry if this post had too many rabbit-trails, I just type whatever comes to mind, when it comes to mind. :grin:
Bro, please organize your posts better.

1. Crew battles take more or less time depending on the amount of people, I'd say it can range from 15 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Eh, meet people, play friendlies, watch matches.

3. Humans have differing tactics from CPU's as well as being able to learn, this means that you might be able to JV 5 stock a CPU and not be able to take a stock off of a real player. Especially since you can develop really bad habits because CPU's don't punish you.

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
Bro, please organize your posts better.

1. Crew battles take more or less time depending on the amount of people, I'd say it can range from 15 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Eh, meet people, play friendlies, watch matches.

3. Humans have differing tactics from CPU's as well as being able to learn, this means that you might be able to JV 5 stock a CPU and not be able to take a stock off of a real player. Especially since you can develop really bad habits because CPU's don't punish you.
Thanks! I'll try to organize my posts better, and would you wanna do some Wi-Fi tomorrow?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Same here, lol. I've never actually played Melee, other than at a dentist's office about 4 years ago. I was ten, and I didn't even know what the game was.
I'm not horrible, but it would take me about 5 matches to adjust from P:M to Melee (and the other person not pressuring me while I'm doing it). The main problem is I know none of the MU's and P:M and Melee timings differ a bit.

Thanks! I'll try to organize my posts better, and would you wanna do some Wi-Fi tomorrow?
Use the edit button so you don't double post btw. I'm going to be busy through the week and am going to be away from my Wii this weekend, so nope.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
How this will go best
1 melee dubs
2. Melee singles
3. Pm dubs
4. Pm singles
5. 64 and side events
The switch from melee to pm is easier.
Tip: het as many set ups for each game as possible. Last time i know of three pm ready wiis that sat aside and melee cubes that did too. One game at a time, it make it go hella quicker

Lizalfos

Smash Master
How this will go best
1 melee dubs
2. Melee singles
3. Pm dubs
4. Pm singles
5. 64 and side events
Tip: het as many set ups for each game as possible. Last time i know of three pm ready wiis that sat aside and melee cubes that did too. One game at a time, it make it go hella quicker
I like your reasoning; it focuses on what allows the players to preform the best.
And seriously, do not get your hopes up for crew battles. They're probably NOT going to happen.
What decides if crew battles happen or not?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah Melee dubs then singles, then PM dubs then singles.. I really like that idea.

Also, it would really help if people can bring CRT TVs. The more setups we have, the faster the tourneys will go, and the more friendlies we can have.

I'll be bringing a TV, cube, and Wii.

Also, if we have time at the end, we can do quick draft crews, but let's just play that by ear.

woundedust

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Melee dubs then singles, then PM dubs then singles.. I really like that idea.

Also, it would really help if people can bring CRT TVs. The more setups we have, the faster the tourneys will go, and the more friendlies we can have.

I'll be bringing a TV, cube, and Wii.
And.....
CREW BATTLE HYPE

Lizalfos

Smash Master
And.....
CREW BATTLE HYPE
Proto just said they probably won't happen though. Don't freak him out by creating an Angry mob of crews wanting to battle. I really hope we get crew battles too, but having a tournament this big right here in Greenville is enough without putting undue stress on the tournament organizer.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Proto just said they probably won't happen though. Don't freak him out by creating an Angry mob of crews wanting to battle. I really hope we get crew battles too, but having a tournament this big right here in Greenville is enough without putting undue stress on the tournament organizer.
Lol Dust is just screwing around. If we have time, we'll do it. If not, no worries

BladerDaBrawler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BL4D3R
3DS FC
3239-3576-1305
How this will go best
1 melee dubs
2. Melee singles
3. Pm dubs
4. Pm singles
5. 64 and side events
My friend has a White Wii, should he bring that? And for PM, can we use Wi-Fi Safe or do we need Full Set? And neither of us has a cube, sadly. We bring our own controllers, right? This is my first tourney, btw.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My friend has a White Wii, should he bring that? And for PM, can we use Wi-Fi Safe or do we need Full Set? And neither of us has a cube, sadly. We bring our own controllers, right? This is my first tourney, btw.
-Sure bring it. worst-case, it doesn't get used, but best case, we have another setup.
-Use the Full Set of PM
-Yes, bring your own controllers.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
It took us til 9pm last time to run four events. I'm running five this time, and I'm hoping the re-organization of the room and schedule will allow us to be done ahead of schedule. However, given my TO experience, we always run a little late. It all depends on how many people show. I'm not saying no crew battles, but experience has told me it's not likely.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It took us til 9pm last time to run four events. I'm running five this time, and I'm hoping the re-organization of the room and schedule will allow us to be done ahead of schedule. However, given my TO experience, we always run a little late. It all depends on how many people show. I'm not saying no crew battles, but experience has told me it's not likely.
Agreed.
Things that can help with timing (observations from the last tournament):

-Pre-registration (already being taken care of by PDude)

-Dedicate all stations to the tournament game currently being played (we can leave ~2 stations for friendlies of PM during Melee, and vice versa)

-All players need to be proactive to see if they have matches (particularly in the losers bracket) and play them. I'm going to be helping here as well.

-Players need to familiarize themselves with the rules / stagelist. I plan on printing out several sheets of the rules and a picture showing the available stages to make the whole process a bit quicker.

-Mandatory DQ rule: If you get called 3x and don't show up for your match within ~3-5 mins, and nobody knows where you are, you get DQ'ed...

-Playing Melee events, then PM events should cut down confusion and help the whole thing go quicker.

-Bring TV's, people.

Top Bottom