• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mangos Falco Advice

JPOBS

Smash Hero
well it seems like you're forgetting that the so-called "neutrals" do still present advantages to certain characters, without needing to add "gay" elements

edit: to better explain, using your scenario

let's say on some imaginary perfectly neutral stage, you are a 7 and your opponent is a 6

now if you go to something like yoshi's story, you are an 8 while your opponent is a 6

however, if you go to something like jungle japes, instead of being a solid number, you are now something like a 7-9, while your opponent is a 5-7 (this is what i mean by variance); you've just introduced the 'chance' that you will be perfectly evenly matched (7-7) based purely on hard/impossible-to-control stage elements

if you feel 8-6 is a solid enough advantage, you take that and roll with it, instead of rolling the dice hoping to get a 9-5 when you could just as easily get a 7-7

note: these "numbers" are meaningless so i hope nobody reads too much into them (i.e. this post is directed specifically at 'JPOBS' since you defined the system and probably know what i mean when using the numbers; nobody else should try to 'interpret' what i'm saying here)
This is actually a really good point and im glad you made that edit because i hadnt considered it that way.

good post.

pockyD

Smash Legend
thats why its a CP not neutral. i'm just saying CPs tend to be not as balanced (for example, mute city is a VERY bad sheik stage) not so much unpredictable. the only thing random on mute city is the cars, which isnt that random. you see the cars coming and both players jump on a platform or go to the side of the road. the stage movements are 100% predictable.

corneria is a good spacies stage because of the camping and the combos on the wall, as well as the small blastzone. the random shooting of lasers is insignificant.
well, my assertion was a very general one; obviously things like jiggs + mute city/brinstar are not only high-reward but also generally low-risk (since the point of these CPs is for jiggs to not suffer from the offstage punishments that would plague the opponent)... corneria/falco is also pretty "safe' i'd say

on the other hand, using falco somewhere like green greens (bombs) or japes (klaptrap) is very high-risk, and is the type of thing i'd recommend you stay away from if you feel you can simply outskill the other player

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
yea, once in a great while you'll be able to use it in the middle of a combo and you'll be super excited about it, but mostly it's just good for learning the spacing so that you can ledge cancel your phantasm while recovering, which is actually useful for not get punished during recovery.

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
Here are some more "Are they important things" for you.

Ahem.

Moonwalking, edge turning, Jc shines...

The thing where there are two people on a platform, the falco drops through, bairs, hits the opponent, yet he somehow rises a little and stays on the platform.

Aaaand...shine to firebird (Usually done on YI when shined above the top platform)

Falcinho

Smash Ace
What about it?

It CAN be useful if you hit your opponent to the other end of the stage to get there soon (for example to edgeguard)

but other than that its only good for taunting

JPOBS

Smash Hero
moonwalking: not for falco
edge turning: not sure what you're going for...never heard of it
jc shines: yes, JC shines go into grabs, sh aerials, pretty much anything, a must for all falco players

the bair on platforms i've seen but i dont think many people do it on purpose, the better version is bait an attack wth light shield on platform edges, then bair as you fall off from their attack

shine to firebird *****, use it

edit: lol sorry for answerign questions in oyur thread mango but im bored <3
k that was the last one

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
Falco can moonwalk. Walk, then try moonwalking by facing the other direction. I've only seen timerbomb do it in a match really. I suppose it's useless. I see PC Chris edge turn alot; walk towards an edge, then immediately turn around while the sliding animation pushes you towards the edge, allowing you to grab it. Obviously easiest with falco. Sort of like hugging the edge in brawl, but brawl sucks brawlz.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
edge turning? are you talking about the pc chris thing where you just walk and turn around to grab the edge?

Pistbag

Smash Cadet
o **** lol

Pitsbag- ftilt ... u usually just wanna f tilt when there camping the edge .. walk up 2 them and just f tilt .. if spaced theres nothing they can do and keeps u from gettting gimped =D

lol people are always misspelling my name, once I was registered as Pisticat in a tournament even after writing it down on paper.

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
are you basically done once a fox grabs you on fd?

how should a falco di fox's up throw? if you go forward it's a regrab, backward it's an up tilt to regrab, up/forward or up/backward it's maybe a pivot grab.

ps. mango maybe you could grab pc and set a date to come to hawaii. it doesn't really have to be for a tournament. you are probably too busy to make it down this weekend anyway.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
when a fox grabs u its pretty gay
up throw up smash re grab up throw up smash ... nair or something stupid *dead*

and in the end it doesnt matter what way u go lol

and well talk lol

MaNg0

Smash Hero
WHY WOULDNT I DO U AIRS!!!!

its like ur doing a flip on the way 2 recovery lol

but nah i think it helps ... but thats a mabye

and yeah i fair because one of my falco idols used 2 do it

=D

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I feel like Magus made some big *** post about how doing an aerial while recovering doesn't help unless it's Kirby's fair or Mewtwo boosting his double jump, but I don't feel like looking it up. For what it's worth, I frequently also do a pointless uair/bair/fair while recovering from really high.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i dont think ive ever done the doraki walljump.. but ive met him =D

and shortening the phantasm is amazing ... u can trick the *** out of people
like if ur not gonna sweetspot the edge and as soon as people hear the noise
people run to where ur gonna land.. but then u can shorten it .. and just grab the edge lol

its ****

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
Also, I saw Lunin do running dsmash. Does it have more priority into approaching with a SHFFL'd dair and then pillaring from there? Maybe pillar to S2B.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
More priority, more range. But not enough knockback or combo potential to be rewarding and too much end lag to be safe. But unexpected enough for the mindgames :)

Pillar would be safer and better technically, but that's what they want you to do, so you can say F*CK YOU and JC U-Smash or CC D-Smash to be cool/funny/annoying.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Since Mang0's banned, I guess I'll try to hold this thread down...

Also, I saw Lunin do running dsmash. Does it have more priority into approaching with a SHFFL'd dair and then pillaring from there? Maybe pillar to S2B.
don't "approach" with dsmash. Like, if there's a chance it'll miss, it's too laggy. Like, if it misses, you've just dropped your pants, bent over and screamed "PLEASE **** ME" to your opponent.

pockyD

Smash Legend
some stray mod wandered into pac west and was offended by the everyday goings-on

i think regional zones should only be moderated by their regional moderators

Top Bottom