• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making custom stages?

ZonaGuy12

Smash Rookie
So, I always like looking for new stages and adding them to PM, I just love changing things up in general for PM I guess.

My question is how I can make (or edit) a stage. I'm not sure if BrawlBox has anything to do with it but I have it if that's what you need.

Hope to get a reply and make some cool stages, thanks in advance. :D

blerb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, BB is basically the most important tool for stage making and Brawl modding in general. You can go very deep with stage editing, from making more simple mods like retextures and simple model swaps, to entirely new concepts like Bowser's Whatever in PM 3.5.

Can't tell you much else without more specifics from you, though. What do you want to make? Simple recolours, night/day versions of levels, bigass complexities akin to the custom stuff in PM? Whatever the answers to those questions are, the biggest piece of advice I can give is learn from what others have done. Look up tutorials on here or KCMM, or even places like YouTube and Polycount for more game-making related knowledge. It helps a lot to lay a foundation of solid knowledge before jumping in head-first.

ZonaGuy12

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply, I guess if you do wanna try to help a bit more, I wanna do retextures for some stages, and starting from scratch on a stage as well like you said for Bowser's Castle. Looking at Polycount also.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
If it's not too much trouble I would like more resources on importing animated platforms or animating them myself. I seem to be having a bit of trouble with it.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
When I say retexture, I'm specifically referring to altering the stage's texture files, nothing more. In that case it's significantly easier than creating a scratch stage as the workload is exponentially smaller. However, you're also limiting yourself. The most you can hope to get away with is setting changes (a Hyrule-themed Castle Siege, for example) or a season change (Winter/Fall Distant Planet). Everything else would probably look a wee bit odd, unless you're incredibly clever with it.

Creating your own custom stage is a very large undertaking. It's doable of course, but you'll need some solid practice with modeling and texturing definitely, and maybe concepting and animating/rigging depending on the size and scope of your ideas. Most people really only specialize in one these fields unless they're an art wizard, so collabing with folks is never a bad idea. I'm not saying this to intimidate you either, just trying to give you a rough idea.

I can't answer specifics such as Jackal's question because I'm strictly a modeler and texturer, unfortunately, but what I said in my above post about researching methods based on your goals is your best bet. View some tutorials, experiment with the tools in those tuts and practice a ton. Making mistakes is inevitable and mandatory.

I highly recommend anyone here who wants to learn modeling to check out Arrimus 3D on Youtube. He has a gigantic library (100+) of in-depth videos on how to use 3DS Max efficiently.

PM me if you want more specifics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom