• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making a video about the origin of Robin's moveset, I need your help !

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

I thought it could be interesting to make a video explaining where Robin's moveset is coming from (for example, his sideB is the animation of the fire spells on GBA). It's a new character, so I don't think it has been done before.
It's a lot of work to find the origin of every move, so if you guys could help me it would be cool.

I also need a moveset showcase of Robin, the best one I found so far is this one :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tUw2kcjkcU
If you can find one for the WiiU or record one yourself, it would be awesome ! (I can record it by myself when I will be back home, in few months...)

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
It's hard to imagine where each of his moves have come from, tbh. Despite claims of Robin "being an expert swordsman", he shows little discipline wielding one, for example. His sword is more like a sidearm - think of Gandalf if you will.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, he looks like gandalf when fighting.
This said, I don't think the dev team took inspiration from Gandalf^^. However, they always try to take inspiration from the orignial character, or other charcacter from the same game, obviously, but I mean that every single move is inspired by an actual move of the character. Ike is really easy to breakdown (side tilt is lord basic attack, aether is aether, side B is the critical animation etc.), but what makes Robin harder is the fact that (i believe), they took inspiration from GBA and DS fire emblem games (less animations, 2d sprites etc.).

This is what I figured out for now :
- Neutral B : classic spell animation from awakening.
- Neutral B (Throron) : Ignis spell animation from awakening (maybe the critical one as well).
- up B : created for sm4sh ?
- downB : I'm sure I already saw this before, I can't remember where but I will find.
- side B : fire spell on GBA FE

- Jab 1 and 2 : Looks like the 2 slashs of the victory animation from awakening as tactician
- Jab 3 (wind) : reminds me the mages from PoR, I have to check tho.
- Jab 3 (fire) : maybe a critical on GBA ? Got it, it's the monk one i believe.

- Dash attack : when in the menu, and you check the stats of the avatar, he/she does pretty much the same animation, but hold the sword with 2 hands. It can also be a reference to the cutscene where robin stabs chrom.

- UTilt : looks like an animation of the warriors or the halbardiers in PoR or RD, when they send the ennemy in the air then jump and send them back on the ground, or more likely the ignis sword animation from awakening.
- FTilt : classic tactician sword attack.
-DTilt : created for sm4sh ?

- USmash : levin sword animation from the remake of the Marth FE on DS, probably from other FE games as well.
- FSmash :
- DSmash :
maybe the tactician critical with sword ?

- NAir : maybe a victory pose or something ? I don't think it's created for sm4sh.
- UAir : created for sm4sh ?
- FAir : looks like the FSmash, probably comes from the same move, but what is this move?.
- DAir : created for sm4sh ?
- BAir : dark knight critical animation from awakening

Jumps : nothing special, and mages never jump in FE so created for sm4sh probably (the double jump forward looks like the opening animation of the tactician)

Idle : I don't remember it, have to check.

Walk : probably the same as in awakening.

Run : Robin can run ???

Taunts :
Victory :

Backward roll : dodge animation from awakening (tactician)

EDIT : wtf is wrong with my fingers, typed "awekening" every single time ><

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I could perhaps help: I already made this one topic a long times ago but didn't bother really updating after somewhat coming to conclusion that a lot might find or know about these things on their own.

Also, don't go overboard analysing. I think some of the moves are just made up for Smash (and unless you find exactly identical animations or moves to ones Robin uses, don't try to push for them too much incase they feel unrelated otherwise)

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
That's really cool, will use this to cover the Special moves part.

About your second point, yup, I know that some moves are most likely made up for sm4sh, but some others are just moves they had to adapt a lot to make them fit sm4sh (especially the sword moves, because of the hitboxes), Awakening and sm4sh are really different, they can't copy-paste a move and hope it will look great in both games. I'm sure that the UTilt is the Ignis with sword animation, but it doesn't look exacly the same.

The obvious sideB animation from GBA FE titles make me think they took some other animations from GBA, and they took it from a mage, so that's why I think they took some animations from other class of Awakening as well (it makes sense since it's really easy to reclass in Awakening). I also guess that there is one or two animations from Chrom.

However, FE doesn't have any up/down moves, so the following moves are probably fully made up for sm4sh :
- DAir
- UAir
- DTilt
- UpB

And after all, the fact that they actually intended to make a move looks like another from FE or not doesn't matter, what matters is our own opinion about it, because they will never tell us what they thought while making Robin.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
It's probably just simple characterization for the unreferenced moves. When Sakurai was given a template for Robin's...well, "character", he likely thought of a bookworm that is not particularly agile or adept with a sword(probably just picked up a rusty blade and swung it around a little bit, hence what I meant by discipline). Robin is a nerd, a nerd with a magic tome and a sword - and he prefers the tome.

I admit, it would be interesting for him to have more tome-based normal attacks, even air attacks.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
I admit, it would be interesting for him to have more tome-based normal attacks, even air attacks.
I don't know, his sword attacks are so unique. Look at this nair !

And hey, guess what I just found : In Gaiden (I didn't played this one), there is a character named....Robin. It's a villager, a bad sword user, and the attack animation reeeaally looks like...the DSmash of Robin in smash ! I hope it's intended, it's so cool.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't know, his sword attacks are so unique. Look at this nair !

And hey, guess what I just found : In Gaiden (I didn't played this one), there is a character named....Robin. It's a villager, a bad sword user, and the attack animation reeeaally looks like...the DSmash of Robin in smash ! I hope it's intended, it's so cool.
You could perhaps post gifs or sprites of these said characters for us to see?

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I'm almost done with the editing, took a bit longer than expected tho (2ManyClips).

I think it's better if I add a voiceover to explain a bit what is going on, rather than just adding some small texts "FTilt -> awakening attack animation", but my speaking isn't that great (I mean that I lack of practice in english, otherwise my voice is fine), so it won't be a hight quality voiceover. Is that still fine for you, or text may be better ?

I found some possible origins for every moves, except :
- DAir
- UAir
- DTilt
- NAir
I also don't plan to cover idle animations, taunt, jump etc. But if you think about something interesting about these moves, don't hesitate to tell me before it's too late.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I think adding in "Time to tip the scales" would be a good idea.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
I think adding in "Time to tip the scales" would be a good idea.
Yup, thank you. I was thinking too much about animations and I forgot the quotes.
That's what I plan to talk about (in red), tell me if something is missing :

Taunts :
  • His sword and tome encircle him via magic while saying, "You're not ready!". Female Robin says, "Here I go!"
  • Points sword upwards while saying, "Let's tip the scales!". Female Robin says, "Time to tip the scales!" -> critical activation quote (and animation ?)
  • Both his/her tome and sword hover over the respective hand, sword rotating in place while saying, "Prepare yourself!".
Victory poses:
  • Swings the Levin sword. Male Robin says "I'm always three steps ahead", while female Robin says "A good tactician has nothing to fear."
  • Spreads his arm, holding a thunder tome on his other hand. Male Robin says "The key to victory lies within", while female Robin says "Ha! Checkmate." -> Checkmate is another critical activation quote
    • If Lucina is present after a match, male Robin sometimes says "Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you." ->because they can be married
  • Robin, along with Chrom, appear together facing to the sides, then both face the screen, showing their weapons. Male Robin says "It seems our fates are joined", while female Robin says "I've got your back." ->I think he/she says the second one when in duo with someone.
    • If Lucina is present after a match, female Robin sometimes says "How can you protect Chrom if you can't protect yourself?"-> Lucina came from the futur to protect her father

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
This sounds like some Crappy Capture Device did back in the day. Man i miss these types of vids.
EDIT: Nerd knowledge and spoilers ahead.

Last edited:

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
This sounds like some Crappy Capture Device did back in the day
Yup, that's pretty much what I want to do, except I'm doing something a bit more "clean", if you see what I mean.
I found the Marth and Ike ones when I checked if no one already made the same about Robin. I think I had already watched the Ike one, or something similar, when Brawl came out tho. I'll watch the Roy one, it can be helpfull.
Because I'm a lazy *******, I'm playing fire emblem 6 instead of making the voiceover, but you can still expect the Robin video to be uploaded next week.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yup, that's pretty much what I want to do, except I'm doing something a bit more "clean", if you see what I mean.
I found the Marth and Ike ones when I checked if no one already made the same about Robin. I think I had already watched the Ike one, or something similar, when Brawl came out tho. I'll watch the Roy one, it can be helpfull.
Because I'm a lazy *******, I'm playing fire emblem 6 instead of making the voiceover, but you can still expect the Robin video to be uploaded next week.
Cool can't wait for it then. I always wanted this type of series with Brawl and Smash 4 but it fell off hard sadly throughout the years. I enjoy these type of vids alot especially when I was younger and learned about the games along with it.

Last edited:

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I uploaded the video on youtube, but realised I didn't talk about weapon usage at all, so I will add it quickly and re-upload it.

I knew it already, but holy **** I'm the worst voice actor on this planet. It took me like 2 hours to start sounding like, well, you know, not a robot. Also, my tongue decided that I will never be able to pronounce "Thunder" correctly, and I was trying to say "thunder, elthunder and arcthunder"...
Anyway, I finally did it, it's far to be the perfect voiceover, but it's ok I guess (I could have asked someone to do it for me, but I won't improve if I don't practice).

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hey man we all started from somewhere. Before smash i was into small time video game reviews so that was fun and tense at the same time.

Bigherolike6

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if anybody has said this yet but the animation for his arcfire resembles the mage's attacking animation from the GBA games.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Yep, it's in the video. That's actually the only clip I recorded myself^^

Let's hope my roomates will finally leave me alone for like 1/2 hour so I can make the voiceover on weapon usage and upload the video...

Scarf Wynaut

Smash Cadet
god damn it
i literally planned to make this exact video (à la CrappyCaptureDevice) but looks like you beat me to it
nice vid tho
I would have included the origins of Chrom and robin's final smash also but its too late for that now

Last edited:
Top Bottom