• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make your own tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Since the most recent tier list is a year old and most people think that one thing or another should be different and I'm one of those people, now I'm not some scrub who's going to say something like "BOWSAH FER TOP TIRE" but I have certain things I think should be different and some characters I think are underrated or I think something like character x is better than character y while most people would say vice versa but I say differently. To start the tier list posts, I'll go first.
1. Fox -This was really close for me but at the end of the day I had to say Fox but overall I almost put Falco above Fox, but it could change in the future.
2. Falco
3. Jigglypuff -Incredible air game, easy KOs via rest and can easily combo into it on many viable characters, wall of pain, great punish game, etc. put Jigglypuff above Marth and Sheik.
4. Marth -I've always thought that Marth is better than Sheik ever since I got interested in competitive scene back in 2011/2012 as Marth has better reach, better recovery, better specials, better mobility, better SHFFLs, has a spike, better combo set up, etc.
5. Sheik
6. Peach -While Armada is an incredible Peach player, unless some new advanced techniques and better combo set ups are discovered, this is the highest I think Peach will ever be.
7. Ice Climbers -Wobbling, desyncing, projectiles, recovery, juggling, etc. make them better than Captain Falcon.
8. Captain Falcon
9. Pikachu -Many say Pikachu ranks in at 10 but I say differently due to his speed and how Axe plays Pikachu, also some even say Pikachu is a soft counter to Fox.
10. Luigi -Great mobility, air game, and projectiles, and a decent recovery)
11. Dr. Mario
12. Ganondorf -Damage racking, finishers, SHFFLs, etc. put him above Samus
13. Samus -While she is a decent character, she is more predictable than most people realize (unless the player is absolutely frame perfect all the time and can do multiple super wavedashes per battle)
14. Mario
15. Yoshi -AMSA has made Yoshi much better, less predictable, great use of shield and up special, and has just made so many innovations in Yoshi's metagame
16. Young Link
17. Link
18. Donkey Kong
19. Pichu -Vastly underrated, high speed, good power, damage racking, and decent aerials and juggling
20. Mewtwo
21. Roy
22. Bowser
23. Mr. Game & Watch
24. Ness
25. Zelda -Vastly overrated, She only has two good things about her; Bair and long distance recovery (but it is predictable)
26. Kirby

Last edited:

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Top Tier: 20XX Fox

Rest doesn't matter
Yes it does, Fox is a great character but he can't be considered by far the best, you must not forget about Falco and if you've been watching recent SSBM matches you would know that Fox debatably loses some MUs (Marth and Pikachu)

Last edited:

andrewc1

Smash Rookie
I agree with a lot of the changes you have made to the tier list. Because I need to uphold my tidal as king of scrubs I will make a few changes

1. Fox- like you said its super close because their basically the same character but fox is a bit faster
2. Falco- is fox
3. Marth- he has tons of reach and his attack speed is lightning quick but still not as fast as Fox or Falco
4. Ice Climbers- this is an interesting one so ill have a lot to say. with two climbers they have monstrous chain grabs and wobbling witch can KO at zero percent from just one grab but with one climber they become trash... not total trash, but trash none the less. also with two they have different health percentages so their stocks are worth more. these grab shenanigans are very hard to pull of with makes them very hard to use but their super good also SCRUB ALERT their item game is tops.
5. Sheik/Zelda- She is very fast when Sheik and has a lot of combos but slow with Zelda and has good range... I don't separate them because they are the same character.
6. Roy- I think that Roy is way to low. Granted he is a worse version of Marth, but Marth is pretty darn good any Roy is just a little worse
7. Ness- I probably Like Ness to much but I think he is very underdeveloped and his pk moves although their slow they put him above the rest
8. Jigglypuff- Very slow and predictable and has no ranged attacks but rest op so its ok (does anyone know why rest makes sense?)
9. Pikachu- fast/ great down smash
10.Peach- turnip are cool but is slow
11. Capt Falcon
12. Luigi
13. Dr.Mario
14. Mario
15. Pichu- a faster Pikachu but damages self
16. Young Link- Link but faster
17. Link- bombs and boomerang make a good keep away game
18. Gannondorf- Falcon but slower
19. Samus- good range but to slow
20. Mew2
21. Yoshi
22. Donkey kong
23. Bowser
24. Kirby
25. Game and watch

Disclaimer I have no idea what the heck I am talking about

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik
4. Jigglypuff
5. Peach
6. Marth
7. Ice Climbers
8. Captain Falcon
9-26. Irrelevant

Nocki

Smash Rookie
5. Peach
6. Marth
I personally think these two should be switched, what is your reasoning for placing Peach higher than Marth? In my opinion, Marth's range outweighs Peach's Turnip use and recovery.

Max?

Smash Champion
1. Fox
2. Falco

3. Sheik
4. Jiggs

5. Marth
6. Peach
7. Icies

8. Falcon

9. Luigi/Doc/Pika, who cares.

There's a chance Marth is lower. People inflate his placement on the tier list because of his matchups vs. Spacies, but he's meh vs. a lot of the rest of the cast, where as other top tiers will destroy said characters he 'struggles' with. He's still very good, but outside of having the best Fox matchup in the game, he's lacking.

I think Icies are super good and have the resutts to back it up, but people still seem to think they suck, so I guess they'll stay at 7th even tho based on results should be higher, but w'e. Same could be said for Peach, but whatever as well.

At this point, if you're not maining Fox and using a secondary for certain matchups you're irrelevant to the meta.

lanbobyonson

Smash Rookie
1. Dylan 2. Dylan 3. Dylan 4. Dylan 5. Dylan because he spits hot fire.
1. Falco
2. Fox
3. Marth
4. Peach
5. Sheik
6. Jiggs
7. Cptn Falcon
8. Pikachu
9. YUNG LINK
10. ICs
MLG convinced me of this. ik ICs deserve better but I just don't care for them....

At this point, if you're not maining Fox and using a secondary for certain matchups you're irrelevant to the meta.
I see Fox as a Peach, Jiggs, ICs counterpick and Falco as someone who can beat everyone else ***Harder than fox***. And that's what I've seen. Falco beats Fox too, there are many examples, but more recently Westballz vs Mango is an example of that.

Last edited:
I personally think these two should be switched, what is your reasoning for placing Peach higher than Marth? In my opinion, Marth's range outweighs Peach's Turnip use and recovery.
I wasn't sure which order to put those 2 in. Maybe Marth should be higher. Peach has an easier time in the neutral game against space animals

Explodo

Smash Rookie
Why do people think Pikachu beats Fox? That matchup is like 65:35 in Fox's favor, at least.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
1. Fox
2. Marth
3. Sheik
4. Falcon
5. Falco
6. Peach
7. Samus
8. IC's
9. Pikachu
10. Doctor Mario
11. Young Link
12. Jigglypuff
13. Luigi
14. Yoshi
15. Mario
16. Ganondorf
17. Link
18. DK
19. Game & Watch
20. Mewtwo
21. Pichu
22. Roy
23. Ness
24. Bowser
25. Zelda
26. Kirby

The order on the lowest tiers changes a lot if you account for weirdness factor. A Ness can probably do better in tournament than a Roy because people basically know how to play against Roy but not Ness, but I still think Roy would be better in a theoretically developed metagame.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik

4. Marth

5. Jiggs
6. Peach

7. Falcon
8. IC's
9. Pikachu
10. Samus
11. Doc

12. Luigi
13. Yoshi
14. Ganondorf
15. Mario

16. Link
17. DK
18. Young Link
19. G&W
20. Roy
21. Mewtwo
22. Pichu
23. Zelda

24. Ness
25. Bowser
26. Kirby

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure about a lot of the stuff here?
My unusual opinions on matchups that lead to that :

Fox = Marth, Fox = Sheik, Fox = Falco, Fox beats everyone else

Marth = Fox, Marth = Sheik, Marth > Falco, Marth >= Falcon (not sure), Marth > everyone else

Sheik = Fox, Sheik = Marth, Sheik < Falcon, Sheik > Falco, Sheik > everyone else

Falcon < Fox, Falcon <= Marth (not sure), Falcon > Sheik, Falcon < Falco, Falcon >> everyone else

Falco = Fox, < Marth and Sheik, > Falcon, = Samus ICs and Peach, > everyone else

ICs lose to Samus and their worst matchups are much worse than hers, so I put them below her.

Peach beats mid tiers the hardest in my opinion, goes even with Falco, but loses to everyone above her.

Puff loses to everyone above her except Samus and Peach because I think she has pretty marginal offensive options. If people play simple games against her and camp hardcore, I don't think she can really deal with it.

Hahaae

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hahaae
I don't think that tier lists should really have a set number for the characters in them. The problem with this is also that it's easy to say "such and such will be so and so if such and such plays a certain way," which is seems to imply perfect play / lack of adapting from the opponent. But in practice, that's not how it is.

Puff loses to everyone above her except Samus and Peach because I think she has pretty marginal offensive options. If people play simple games against her and camp hardcore, I don't think she can really deal with it.
Again, this is assuming that no slip-ups are made. Puff actually does have good offensive options; especially at putting on mental pressure (such as bairing repeatedly without being close to the opponent to slowly force the opponent into a corner, like HBox does). If Puff gets 1 simple combo (and a good Puff will force you into the corner, limiting your options of attacking/escape/defense, much like HBox does), it can easily lead into a rest or easy wall of pain edgeguard. Her disjointed (iirc) bair hitbox and knockdown=jab reset->rest doesn't help. Also, Peach v Puff doesn't seem like that bad of a MU. Armada doesn't like it, but if you've ever seen him go Puff against a Peach (there's a video of it somewhere), he didn't get anywhere near the same results (he still won by 1 stock, but he was the top player in the world at the time, he should be winning by more). Or this weekend at KoC4 where M2K went Puff against Armada and got 2 or 3 stocked.

Part of the problem with making a tier list is that it also doesn't consider the different playstyles that are available in the game, or how to manipulate them. It takes into account what is considered to be optimal, but that will never happen in actual practice. Some playstyles work better for different characters, of course. An example of this is Mango's super aggressive Fox/Falco, or Armada's insanely punish-based Peach (in the current metagame, the Fox/Peach MU looks about 50:50 at top level IMO; they both punish each other extremely hard, more often than not, it leads to Fox getting 0-death gimped when he's punished so he has to play extremely careful).

Bleh, I've been up 20 hours and can't string together thoughts. Heading to bed.

Z1zzor

Smash Cadet
WHY ARE YOU ALL KIRBY HATERS!? Kirby is BOSS! My 2 main characters (Mainly in Smash 4, but still applies for Melee) are Kirby and Ness! Who are both at the BOTTOM? How dare you? (jk, jk. People have their own opinions)
Poor Kirby... Who can resist that cute little face? (Hugs Kirby) Are you better now Kirby? :kirby: Good! All better! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom