• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
He's really, really, really generic. Like, really. Really. REEEEEAAAAAAAALLY.

Everything else would be fine, if not for the almost complete lack of anything new. Have you played any of the Naruto games? Why not take some stuff from there? Also, Naruto's one of those characters that has the benefit of basically already having a Smash Bros. moveset made for him.

Incorrect, sir! The Naruto show is GOD-AWFUL, and the character is your standard shonen protagonist--nothing bad about that.

The only cause you'd have to not like him is if your only exposure to him is via the English dub. :urg:
You say that DBZ is good and yet you are to harsh on Naruto.... wow. I hate to say this Mendez, but you have opinions have just lost some of their validity.

Naruto is a dweeb in an orange jacket... he isn't remotely cool until after the time skip.

He's certainly better than that gay Sasuke though.

Shikamaru wins in the badass Naruto characters department. What isn't awesome about a dude who doesn't give a crap about anything and can control shadows?

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
lol, an whats wrong with Chocobo? An its not like FF is a real series, its more of a brand, not one Final Fantasy is related is it?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
You say that DBZ is good and yet you are to harsh on Naruto.... wow. I hate to say this Mendez, but you have opinions have just lost some of their validity.
This. Though i prefer DBZ to Naruto

Naruto is a dweeb in an orange jacket... he isn't remotely cool until after the time skip.
Hey!!! Take it easy on orange Jacket wearers!!! Google them, and you might feel sorry.

Shikamaru wins in the badass Naruto characters department. What isn't awesome about a dude who doesn't give a crap about anything and can control shadows?
Sorry that belongs to Gaara or Neji. Shikamaru is cool, but he's not as cool as a emo sand demon or a crazy white eyes.

Bah.
Just kidding

Also, i'm guaran-dam-teed to make a Gaara moveset now. Don't know why no moveset is made for him yet, but now its going to be done. With my genius on Naruto manga, he'll be the first Naruto character that will be awesome.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
This. Though i prefer DBZ to Naruto

Hey!!! Take it easy on orange Jacket wearers!!! Google them, and you might feel sorry.

Sorry that belongs to Gaara or Neji. Shikamaru is cool, but he's not as cool as a emo sand demon or a crazy white eyes.

Bah.
Just kidding

Also, i'm guaran-dam-teed to make a Gaara moveset now. Don't know why no moveset is made for him yet, but now its going to be done. With my genius on Naruto manga, he'll be the first Naruto character that will be awesome.

Its not that the jacket is orange.... its that it looks gay.... But the post-time skip appearance is really quite cool.

And why the hate for Chocobo, Mendez?

How can you hate such an awesome character.

And Chocobo racing was pretty epic. One of the few racing games that I ever got into.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

He's certainly better than that gay Sasuke though.
The only reason I like DBZ's anime is because it was basically my first anime. The comic is a bajillion times better, as is the case with the Naruto series.

Unfortunately the latter doesn't have the benefit of nostalgia, so things are a bit clearer on why the show isn't as good. And seriously, if you've read some scanlations of the manga, I think you'd agree with me on this...

Everyone knows Rock Lee is the best character in the history of history.

EDIT - For the record, I don't hate the character of Chococbo...but Shadow's moveset for him/her/it/potato is based on the Chocobo games, not the bird's appearances in FF games.

And those games are just pure unadulterated crap.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
The only reason I like DBZ's anime is because it was basically my first anime. The comic is a bajillion times better, as is the case with the Naruto series.

Unfortunately the latter doesn't have the benefit of nostalgia, so things are a bit clearer on why the show isn't as good. And seriously, if you've read some scanlations of the manga, I think you'd agree with me on this...

Everyone knows Rock Lee is the best character in the history of history.

Yeah... alot of my hatrid for the Naruto (character not show) is the result of the horrible English dub.

BELIVE IT! BELIEVE IT! BELIEVE IT! *Shoots Naruto*

Edit:
Has anyone here played Shining Force?

And the reason for my DBZ hate is its laughable plot and tedious fights. Yeah it was the first anime so nostalgia kicks in, but things have natural improvement over time. Now we have Naruto, Bleach, and numerous other great animes.

Lol @ Rock Lee..... hes only awesome when he's drunk.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Chris Lionheart said:
And the reason for my DBZ hate is its laughable plot and tedious fights. Yeah it was the first anime so nostalgia kicks in, but things have natural improvement over time. Now we have Naruto, Bleach, and numerous other great animes.
Again, the comic fixes those problems. Fights don't drag on for fifty chapters, and...well, okay, the plot's still silly, but you can't tell me the plot of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, or any other popular Jump series isn't.

Even the more "serious" ones like Deathnote and Neuro are still out there. DBZ was the first to perfect the much-vaunted "Shonen Arc", and with the notable exception of One Piece, it still does it better than any other Japanese comic.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Again, the comic fixes those problems. Fights don't drag on for fifty chapters, and...well, okay, the plot's still silly, but you can't tell me the plot of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, or any other popular Jump series isn't.

Even the more "serious" ones like Deathnote and Neuro are still out there. DBZ was the first to perfect the much-vaunted "Shonen Arc", and with the notable exception of One Piece, it still does it better than any other Japanese comic.
Silly isn't the problem with plots.... tedious is.

Every DBZ series is the same.

Strong guy appears, noone in the group can defeat him until *insert character* learns something new, then the battle is won. Oh but someone on your team died, but you can bring them back by going around the world and finding the Dragon Ballz.

Atleast Naruto and the other anime's have some variety.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Strong guy appears, noone in the group can defeat him until *insert character* learns something new, then the battle is won. Oh but someone on your team died, but you can bring them back by going around the world and finding the Dragon Ballz.
Which is basically the same plot every shonen series has followed since. At least the ones that are action-oriented.

New enemy appears, stronger than the last > hero must learn new technique or activate a plot device to defeat new enemy > power of friendship somehow helps hero > hero defeats new enemy > new enemy appear, stronger than the last

...Seriously, that's just how Jump works, and basically how it always has. If you think DBZ is bad in that regard, you should read some of the stuff that came before it, like Kinnikuman, Fist of the North Star, or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

They're nowhere near as, uh, "elegant" as Toriyama's work.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Which is basically the same plot every shonen series has followed since. At least the ones that are action-oriented.

New enemy appears, stronger than the last > hero must learn new technique or activate a plot device to defeat new enemy > power of friendship somehow helps hero > hero defeats new enemy > new enemy appear, stronger than the last

...Seriously, that's just how Jump works, and basically how it always has. If you think DBZ is bad in that regard, you should read some of the stuff that came before it, like Kinnikuman, Fist of the North Star, or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

They're nowhere near as, uh, "elegant" as Toriyama's work.
I haven't even heard of those previous series XD.....

But I repeat a previous question....

If yes, then who would like for me to make a moveset for Mawlock (the enigmatic master of the "cards of fate".)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I haven't even heard of those previous series XD.....
To be honest I only got into all the old Jump stuff last year, after I imported Jump Super/Ultimate Stars.

Yeah...they're okay (especially Fist of the North Star), but not real necessary reading or anything.

But I repeat a previous question....

If yes, then who would like for me to make a moveset for Mawlock (the enigmatic master of the "cards of fate".)
I completely glossed over that. I had meant to answer you, but I guess I got caught up in the moment. ^.^;

You mean...Shining Force on the Genesis?

...!

O.o

THERE WAS ACTUALLY A PLOT IN THAT GAME!?

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
To be honest I only got into all the old Jump stuff last year, after I imported Jump Super/Ultimate Stars.

Yeah...they're okay (especially Fist of the North Star), but not real necessary reading or anything.

I completely glossed over that. I had meant to answer you, but I guess I got caught up in the moment. ^.^;

You mean...Shining Force on the Genesis?

...!

O.o

THERE WAS ACTUALLY A PLOT IN THAT GAME!?
No I mean the remake for the Game Boy Advanced, Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon, which definitely has a plot.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
As a kid, I LOVED DBZ. Everyone I knew was obsessed with it.

I tried to like Naruto, but I find that the action is crap and everything is so boring to me... I find that Bleach is much better IMO. But I am a sword loving type of guy...

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
To the Naruto Moveset: I have to say that it lacks a few moves (neutral air, back throw, etc.), you ruined a major plot device, it's severely lacking in detail, has the infamous Punch Punch Kick (I can't tell if the kick causes a backflip or a ballerina spin), plus the aerials are confusing with the special ability in place, there's confusion with the specials (seriously, B+ Up Tilt?), the "B+ forward tilt" is broken, The final Smash(s) is broken even with the random probability, You spelled Otacon wrong, and the backstory is like a children's book at best. Because I am a very small fan of Naruto (1/3 of my username is based on the show in some way), I am in disappointment with this moveset. However, will say that it is a great job for a beginner, and wish you the best of luck with any moveset you make in the contests to come.

That being said, I am a minor fan of naruto (although I do prefer others like Death Note , FMA, and Haruhi Suzumiya), so here's my opinion: The Show Naruto in Japan is moderately better than the show in the US, because it shows blood. That being said, I believe the "saving the world" thing is so overrated (Saving the city is better in retrospect, and saving the country could make you lean toward the god/bad seesaw) and that Blue Large Laser Beams are okay if they aren't controlled by a character like it's second nature. Also, I hate series that have no true deaths (no resurrections!!!). At least with Naruto, The only known resurrection included sacrifices of people we knew albeit mildly, and the resurrections themselves were only mention in passing and have never been truly seen before. I do appreciate DBZ being the inspiration for naruto, but these three points just makes me grind my gears. Although... I might be emphasizing too much, as I never learn about cable until I was 12.

To chris: Never heard of of it, but from what i read on Wikipedia, Mawlock sounds interesting. I support your decision of making Mawlock.

Random Post about my avatar: Looks like a new defense attorney came into town. You Like it?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@Chris: In that case...sorry, can't help ya'. Never played it, probably never will.

kitsuneko345 said:
At least with Naruto, The only known resurrection included sacrifices of people we knew albeit mildly, and the resurrections themselves were only mention in passing and have never been truly seen before. I do appreciate DBZ being the inspiration for naruto, but these three points just makes me grind my gears. Although... I might be emphasizing too much, as I never learn about cable until I was 12.
What you've got to keep in mind with DBZ is that A) the series was never supposed to go very far beyond the King Piccolo arc in Dragon Ball, and B) it was the first series to handle battles of such a huge scale.

So yeah, the series suffered from some inflation of ideals, especially near the end (which is why GT is such crap)...but at least Toriyama didn't artificially add in new mechanics to his world half-way through, like almost every other Jump author has (Naruto specifically: lol chakra actually has elements. Did I forget to tell you this incredibly basic, vital component of ninja combat at the beginning of the series?).

Given the pressure Toriyama was under to continue the series (he actually had to pay Shueisha to let him out of his contract after the Buu saga, so he could finally stop pulling stuff out of his a**), and his pioneering status, DBZ is better than Naruto.

I mean...if we want to debate that, 80% of Naruto is ripped off of Hunter x Hunter. :ohwell:

And for the record, DBZ was the inspiration for every Jump manga after it was published, not just Naruto. Seriously, if you read an interview with virtually any of the current Jump authors, they'll list Tezuka and Toriyama as their two big inspirations. It's almost scary in it's consistency.

Random Post about my avatar: Looks like a new defense attorney came into town. You Like it?
HAHAHAHAHA!! MY REIGN AS KING OF THE COURT SHALL LIVE ON INTO ETERNITY! ...Yeah, I can't see it. This is one of the benefits of being a senior member who was around when Phoenix was an actual choice for avatars, and you couldn't upload your own.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
@Chris: In that case...sorry, can't help ya'. Never played it, probably never will.

What you've got to keep in mind with DBZ is that A) the series was never supposed to go very far beyond the King Piccolo arc in Dragon Ball, and B) it was the first series to handle battles of such a huge scale.

So yeah, the series suffered from some inflation of ideals, especially near the end (which is why GT is such crap)...but at least Toriyama didn't artificially add in new mechanics to his world half-way through, like almost every other Jump author has (Naruto specifically: lol chakra actually has elements. Did I forget to tell you this incredibly basic, vital component of ninja combat at the beginning of the series?).

Given the pressure Toriyama was under to continue the series (he actually had to pay Shueisha to let him out of his contract after the Buu saga, so he could finally stop pulling stuff out of his a**), and his pioneering status, DBZ is better than Naruto.

I mean...if we want to debate that, 80% of Naruto is ripped off of Hunter x Hunter. :ohwell:

And for the record, DBZ was the inspiration for every Jump manga after it was published, not just Naruto. Seriously, if you read an interview with virtually any of the current Jump authors, they'll list Tezuka and Toriyama as their two big inspirations. It's almost scary in it's consistency.

HAHAHAHAHA!! MY REIGN AS KING OF THE COURT SHALL LIVE ON INTO ETERNITY! ...Yeah, I can't see it. This is one of the benefits of being a senior member who was around when Phoenix was an actual choice for avatars, and you couldn't upload your own.
Lol its called story devolopment... DBZ got worse as it progressed, unlike Naruto which gets better.

And to describe Mawlock he is pretty much a beast like creature in appearance (though he wears clothes and stands upright like a man.) He has the unique ability to manipulate a large selection of cards (basicly there is a card of every playable character and many enemies.)

The cards have these powers:

Copy- The cards special effect buffs Mawlock.
Effect- Mawlock buffs an adjacent ally with the card's affect.
Imitate- Mawlock creates a "carbon copy" of the person (or creature) pictured in the card. That copy can be used to help fight.
Movement- The person (or creature) pictured on the card is given an extra turn. (allies only)

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord

This. What my opinion is about Naruto and Dbz, only i still like the Naruto show.....and my opinion is 10 times less complicated.

@everyone gabbin' about anime: Would you like some bread with your spam?
We are not spamming. we are having a fun awesome mature discussion about DBZ and Naruto.

So blah you.
Just kidding

Also, can anyone see my Trunks avatar?

tarman727

Smash Apprentice
Any mention on mine ^_^

and if we are talking about anime, I'm a fan of Haruhi, DN, Mai Hime, Mai Otome, Onegai Sensei, Onegai Twins, CG, and bleach.

ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY I CANT SEE MY OWN SIG?

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
YOU??? You call yourself a senior member? [geezer]Back in my days, there was a rep system, with shiny green squares next to yer name. And there weren't so many newfangled avatars, just a simple five pages. Ahhh, the old days.[/geezer]

Anyway, the Naruto manga is better than the anime. Says who? Says my opinion. But if we're talking badassery, the villains of the series definitely wipe the floor with just about everyone. Long-tongued snake man, emotionally unstable sandman, huge-blade-wielding shark man, puppeteer who hides in his own creations and turned himself into a last-resort puppet, and... others who I will not willingly spoil.

Although I agree that Dragonball has a great nostalgia factor.

tarman727

Smash Apprentice
EVERYONE IS IGNORING ME :(

But in all seriously, is anyone actually making anything out of this convo :D

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
YOU??? You call yourself a senior member? [geezer]Back in my days, there was a rep system, with shiny green squares next to yer name. And there weren't so many newfangled avatars, just a simple five pages. Ahhh, the old days.[/geezer]
LOL BUT UR POST COUNT IZ LOWER N00B

Anyways, all this Jump talk really makes me want to make a really, really, really ridiculous moveset... hint: it's that little guy in the middle...

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
LOL BUT UR POST COUNT IZ LOWER N00B
NO IZ NOT! [geezer]Back in my day, you could change your post count to whatever ya wanted it to be. Yeah, I had 777 posts for a looong time, but I ended up moving it down cuz I thought it'd be more fair to you noobs.[/geezer][/lies]

Anyway, I've been working a bit on Grimer, but I think it might be done for MYM 4 instead. Hmmm.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
D amn! Should have known with the lack of new avatars. Anyway, The "avatar" is now my profile picture but if you would rather scroll down....

Jump for the win!!!

Oh, and KingK.Rool: Hope Grimer is working well.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
KK, i'll just go out and announce that my new chapter will be up tomorrow.

It's a contiuation of Drake and Josh's chapter. One of Iron thorn's movesets is going to appear in them.

Though......she might be a little pissed.....lets just say its a little.........sexist....and it involves Drake.....and he doesn't partically like her.....

Plus, i'll also try to get started on my "Savyna" moveset tomorrow to get ready for 4.0.

Also, since no one can see my avatar, my avis were supposed to be these guys:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Grimer's going pretty well, I suppose. I'm thinking my main mechanic might be a bit overcomplicated; the basic premise is that some attacks make him throw away or lose bits of his goo. These bits fuse together over time, and eventually form a second Grimer that fights alongside you until it takes a certain amount of damage. Oh, and you can take control of either the original or the clone at the tap of a button.

Sound interesting to anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom