• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 14 - This is Snake, I'm done here

Smady

Smash Master
Here are 5 of them I did.
Those are more comments, an advertisement is less reviewing the set and more praising it to inform others that they should consider it for voting. Here's an example:

Croagunk is a set that deserves advertising in arguably greater proportion than any other set this contest, being the very first in the longest contest to date (thank you DDoS). This set plays on a subtle theme of subterfuge; you hit the foe with a simplistic attack, but it leaves a desolating path of poison that slowly disintegrates their percentage bit-by-bit. The psychology of the match is taken advantage of by Croagunk, who has slowly-moving projectiles, ways to compound the poison or very straightforward takes on traditional concepts like counters and attacks that put the foe into prone, to further manipulate what they will do. A good player will play Croagunk as if they are playing the character itself, always a sign of a good moveset, and do not let the fact it is 8 months old be a detraction in considering it for vote.

n88

Smash Lord
Here are 5 of them I did.
I think you've got slightly the wrong idea about advertisements. Which is probably the community's fault; sometimes we forget not everyone knows our jargon. Anyhow, the purpose of an advertisement is to drum up support for your favorite movesets. MYM's endgame, the voting period, is fast approaching. You're not talking to the writer about what you liked and didn't like; you're talking to everyone else about what you liked and why they should be voting for your advertised set. It's MYM's way of helping everyone review before submitting their votes, and makes for a neat little highlight reel. So pick out a few sets that you think could use a little love and post about 'em! A quick blurb is all it takes.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Those are more comments, an advertisement is less reviewing the set and more praising it to inform others that they should consider it for voting. Here's an example:

Croagunk is a set that deserves advertising in arguably greater proportion than any other set this contest, being the very first in the longest contest to date (thank you DDoS). This set plays on a subtle theme of subterfuge; you hit the foe with a simplistic attack, but it leaves a desolating path of poison that slowly disintegrates their percentage bit-by-bit. The psychology of the match is taken advantage of by Croagunk, who has slowly-moving projectiles, ways to compound the poison or very straightforward takes on traditional concepts like counters and attacks that put the foe into prone, to further manipulate what they will do. A good player will play Croagunk as if they are playing the character itself, always a sign of a good moveset, and do not let the fact it is 8 months old be a detraction in considering it for vote.
I think you've got slightly the wrong idea about advertisements. Which is probably the community's fault; sometimes we forget not everyone knows our jargon. Anyhow, the purpose of an advertisement is to drum up support for your favorite movesets. MYM's endgame, the voting period, is fast approaching. You're not talking to the writer about what you liked and didn't like; you're talking to everyone else about what you liked and why they should be voting for your advertised set. It's MYM's way of helping everyone review before submitting their votes, and makes for a neat little highlight reel. So pick out a few sets that you think could use a little love and post about 'em! A quick blurb is all it takes.

Ah, I see. Those I'll do tomorrow then.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
When will MYM 15 start? I tipically only make simple specials-only movesets but I decided to participate. I plan on making a Tepig moveset.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
When will MYM 15 start? I tipically only make simple specials-only movesets but I decided to participate. I plan on making a Tepig moveset.

We haven't decided yet, but we'll be announcing it within like the next week or two in the thread.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
ChuChus by BridgesWithTurtles
The ChuChus take the incredibly difficult task of taking the tools of a puzzel game and implementing them into Super Smash Bros, and pulls it off with a kind of style and grace that most experienced moveset makers strive for, and Turtles does it with his first moveset posted in a Make Your Move contest. The titular ChuChus play a very uphill cat-and-mouse game with the foe as they attmpt to protect their attacking ranks, the Pikmin-like following ChuChus, by using all manner of Rocket Ships, directional tiles, and giant space cats named Kapu Kapus. It's wierd, it's wonderful, and it's got a high spot on my personal vote list. Don't forget the ChuChus!

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace

Carmilla
You know I'm surprised how little fanfare the Junahu day sets got in the grand scheme of things, although it may just be due to a lack of commenting on a whole this contest, barring myself and Froy not a word has been said about Carmilla. Which is a shame because for a guy who loves teamwork so much, I've rarely seen Junahu do a take on doubles sets that feels so natural. Carmilla focuses on a normal female with a fairly basic melee game, albeit one that gets a bit more interesting in the context of her partner, and a giant floating skull who fires off much flashier attacks alongside you. Notable exciting points are the ability to desync the floating skull Carmilla from the ground based Laura to create all kinds of combinations of attacks, swinging from the skull on a chain to give Laura's aerials more interesting functions, and even the ability to drain power from the foe in a way that feels much more flowing and useful than when Grunty did it a couple Junadays ago. It never falls into the trap of being too gimmicky or too dull, striking just the right balance that I'm sure almost anyone can appreciate. Seriously the fact that almost no commentary on this set exists is a crime and you all should read it before making your vote lists.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Tomoe Mami
by Darth Meanie

A very early but not forgotten set. Mami is a simple and elegant set that has a compelling playstyle. The single-shot rifles that Mami summons with her neutral and down specials gives her great zone control options with her various rifle shooting attacks and ribbon grappling moves. Mami also presents a high-risk playstyle that I find exciting and fun. Another thing that I truly enjoy is the deph that Mami's rifle create, and I feel that the metagame section only scratches the surface of what Mami can do. Consider this stylish gunslinger for your vote.

Remilia Scarlet
by Frozen Roy

This lovely vampire was a fun read on Halloween. Remilia is a mid-range fighter that can hit hard and fast. The use of pink mist to hide start-up lag is very interesting, and a unique concept that brings new experiences to the game. Especially since other players can join in on the fun. The use of wound inflicting moves and health draining abilities seem in-character and are deviously fun. Also as a side note, whether it was done on purpose or not, I like the us of opposites. She's fast yet laggy. A lightweight yet a powerhouse. Bloodthirsty yet sophisticated.

Richter Belmont
by Junahu

Another Halloween set that I quite enjoyed. Richter makes use of nicely tactical whip attacks with a focus on spacing and directionality. The martial arts moves are very nice, where Richter trades conventional dodging for interesting out-of-shield options and aerial manueverability. The specials are very good in the way that they interact and provide single use powerups to other moves, particularly the Holy Cross and Holy Water. Those powerups being single-use actually makes the set more fun as it gives the combat pacing highs and lows, much like a roller coaster ride.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Can I still turn mine in tomorrow before nighttime, or are they completely due tonight BEFORE the 14th?

n88

Smash Lord
Can I still turn mine in tomorrow before nighttime, or are they completely due tonight BEFORE the 14th?

The deadline was intended to be tonight, but it may well be extended because of the downtime after the deadline was set. So there's a good chance you'll be able to get away with doing them tomorrow, but officially speaking you're encouraged to get them in tonight if you can. It's not too hard if you're talking about sets you really liked!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

I'd recommend getting the advertisements in now, but we may have to extend the deadline again because of the downtime and other factors.

To answer your question, you can do it on the 14th, before around midnight PST.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd recommend getting the advertisements in now, but we may have to extend the deadline again because of the downtime and other factors.

To answer your question, you can do it on the 14th, before around midnight PST.

Sweet. I'll definitely have time tomorrow!

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Whiscash
What first pleased me in Whiscash is that Turtles took to heart the comments we made on his Whiteboard preview, improving the first version by leaps and bounds, removing all the illogical stuff. Now, what I liked in the set itself is that Whiscash, as it's painfully obvious when look at the poor thing, isn't physically fit. As such, he c'ant just Kamehameha the hell out of his opponents like Lucario or break your body with his very mind. Whiscash, as such, takes a far more sly approach, setting traps all over the stage to force the opponent to tech. As the opponents makes more and more mistakes, he'll be able to rack some damage, and finally Earthquake the crap out of the fumbling enemy. The various interactions betweenthe Pokémon, his water and his mud are varied and all pretty cool. All-in-all, Whiscash is a pretty cool set, respecting the original "character" while, at the same time, developing some great gameplay. I think this set deserves at least a Normal Vote.

JOE!

Smash Hero
N88 takes a stab at the infamous 3v1 boss character and forgoes all the icky cliches of the genre in favor of some really creative concepts in that Ultron is more just a -really- good character with unique attributes suited for multiple opponent combat, such as a grab that can get two foes at once! Combined with his gravity altering abilities and passive minion-summoning as time goes on, the Age of Ultron has really come for the Boss Genre in terms of just what makes a 3v1 encounter.​
Megumi Kitaniji

FrozenRoy portrays this character excellently, translating him from his source games on the DS with some incredibly creative special maneuvers and one of the best uses of a time stop to date! What really pulls the set together is his Nspec however, as the ability to draw on the battlefield as if you were using a stylus is just too fun not to applaud. Definitely give Megumi a read if you haven't yet!​
o o o ((Bubble Witch Marin)) o o o
Usershadow7879 makes what I feel to be one of the -best- sets this contest with his entry to the MYMini challenge. Incorporating a huge variety of abilities thanks to said contest, Marin has shield specials, a unique defense mechanic, and all sorts of personality made through mere BUBBLES! Really, I highly recommend this work of art for all to read, and it better be on your SV list!​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Vyse

Vyse is a moveset from your friendly neighborhood newcomer, BridgesWithTurtles. An aspiring young laddie, Vyse enters the Brawl with a plethora of features to his moveset!

Vyse's main move is his "Moon Stone Shift", which allows him to give his attack a variety of edges in combat, allowing him to shift the effectiveness of his moves even mid-attack, expanding upon things like type effectiveness in Pokemon Trainer in a much more fun and acceptable way. This is combined with simple and effective uses of moves that provide great depth, especially when combined with the ability to use either more damage to strike the foe or less to better control their damage % and combo, especially seen well in Vyse's Side Special, an improved Dancing Blade with a better flow between strikes and options to cancel the move in a variety of ways, which allows Vyse to string together attacks and create multiple situations, especially when combined with abilities like sending out a Sword Wave after a certain hit with varying effects depending on your Moon Stone. Further use of "ineffective" Moon Stones occurs when Vyse's main draw, 2v2 battles, is put into the mix, as proper utilization of Moon Stones can allow him to seamlessly deal maximum damage to the foe and minimum damage to his allies while utilizing a variety of moves such as Down Smash to become an invaluable partner. Finally, the melee attacks flow seamlessly together, while containing cool ideas like his Dash Attack "Quika", which takes DACUS even further and offers great options, like shifting his Moon Stones during Quika teleporting and the ability to mix up the varying lengths of the strike...but all while remaining counterable and never feeling insane. While the Moon Stone shifting can feel a bit complex or murky, it doesn't feel too much more so than a good deal of other sets this contest.

The kicker for Vyse being good? It has a cool ledge attack, that isn't tacky or anything. While I certainly love Vyse a lot more than your average MYMer, it is worth a read even if you aren't so wild.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Being the fan of minion summoning characters that I am, Salvatore by Katapultar drew me in quickly with her ways to control, arm, and create openings for her subordinates. Besides doing a good job of allowing Salvatore to fight as her own character while still making heavy use of the gunners she summons, the set conveys who she is and how she thinks and acts exceptionally well; important in every moveset, but especially those for characters from series like Disgaea, whose larger than life personalities is what gives it its charm.​
In particular, I'm a sucker for her Neutral Special. What seems to be just a fun attack quickly becomes a clever strategic option as you find more and more moves work naturally with it. The layers of interactions between each of her attacks are simple to grasp and turn a collection of interesting projectile moves into a collection of fantastic tools, blending Salvatore's attacks with her authoritative air seamlessly.​

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Whereas my love for Salvatore comes from her flashy moves and layers of interaction with her minions, my adoration of Spider Man by JOE! and n88_2004 comes from its grounded, straight-forward nature. Besides its organization (which I loved, as it made it easier to read through the set and helped convey the ins and outs of Spidy's attacks and overall playstyle), the set goes for substance over style and sticks to kicks and Spider Man's trademark web shooters, creating an effective and in character playstyle that feels as though it captures what playing as Spider Man in a Super Smash Bros game should be like. Good and solid in a way that is sadly often overlooked for higher concept sets (which are also a favorite of mine, but still), Spider Man possess attributes I wish we could see more of.​
Rather than a specific move that grabs at me like Salvatore, a particular quality I love of Spider Man is how suited his set would be in a Free For All or a Team Battle, taking on hordes of goons in the Multi-Man Melee just as smoothly and naturally as he would fight a normal opponent one on one. Fitting for a Super Hero set, it accomplishes this without really locking itself in to working in a 2 on 2 or FFA only set like some examples in the past have.​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Dark Falz (Remix)

Dark Falz is the only (well, okay, only relevant) set from our resident incumbent winner, ForwardArrow and is quite a good one at that. A strong entry into the bullet hell set series and 3v1 boss entry, Dark Falz's ability to seperate the foes' soul from their body gives him a dynamic edge in battle with his enemies and some fun manipulation, which is added on with his great usage of his Chaos Sorcerer (no, not the Yu-Gi-Oh ones) minions. Chaos Sorcerers can utilize charging for Dark Falz's smashes themselves, but in addition serve as some neat minions for joining into attacks, and further can serve as soul stops by stitching an enemy's soul into them. When combined with Falz's reality tears, which allow some interesting play with his variety of projectiles such as Up Smash, Down Smash and Down Aerial, and some strong characterization and Falz more than makes up for the faults of him and his predeccesor. It might be narrowly off my Super Vote list, but it is definitely worth getting on.

Smady

Smash Master
REISEN by FrozenRoy
Touhou characters in the past were not my favourite sets, but Roy has been able to re-define the meaning of the series in Make Your Move. Now it's clear to me that while Touhou designs are all varying levels of effeminate little girls for the most part, it strangely is able to instill an intrinsic amount of depth into the simplistic bullet hell bosses. None more than Reisen, a bunny girl who somehow is also a mind controller or manipulator... and Roy manages to sell this aspect extraordinarily well throughout the set. KingK.Rool used to talk about cinematic styles, and to a degree I'd say Roy certainly has a visual flair and talent for finding inventive ways to express his own ideas through the unique lens of a moveset. This set shows off how versatile he is as a writer, conjuring up a handful of perceptive techniques to subtly carry across Reisen's specific characteristics. The crux of the set is in Reisen's ability to manipulate the foe's very perception, with fields-of-view that enable duplicates, allowing the foe to exit or enter at their own volition, but giving a very unique sense of pressure and purpose to Reisen at the same time. That aside, Reisen has a huge arsenal of projectiles at her disposal and awesome tricks to confuse the foe, or obfuscate her own attacks. A great touch on all of this is that it avoids cheapness, the foe only has to pay attention to stay on top of Reisen's games, and simply fooling the opponent is not all there is to Reisen either. There is a laudable amount of depth that goes into almost every move in this set, which is quite a feat considering how easy it would be to simply phone in the grab game or spam projectiles. Roy's friendly, meticulous writing style also makes the set a joy to read, despite the very nitpick-y style of writing the set entails.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The Spectacular Spider-Man
by JOE! and n88_2004
This is an amazing moveset. The theming, the music, the quips, everything is amazing! The moveset itself is rather interesting as well. Spider-Man uses his webs to not only keep opponents away, but to bring them to him for great aerial combat. Spidey heavily relies on outwitting the opponent, and using his acrobatic abilities to set up many combos to hit the opponent. Many great combos can be set up, for instance, let's say Mario's coming at you with his Fair. You can easily use the Nair to flip him, then Web-zip towards him, kick off and then a rising kick to KO them quickly. I see Spider-Man as possibly one of the greatest sets in this entire contest, and I hope that it does receive a rather high score. If you are a master of combos, an avid comic-book reader, or even just a competitive player, Spider-Man is the superhero with you. But remember: with great power comes great responsibility.​
(I'm still mad Uncle Ben didn't say that in the reboot.)​

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Dive Man
by Z1GMA
Although this isn't the best moveset in MYM14, I feel that it should get some recognition. Z1GMA, much like KBG, StaffofSmashing and I, was a newcomer in this contest. And, while nobody apparently liked my movesets, I feel some of the newcomers should be featured as well. Z1GMA took every piece of criticism from Ring Man and used it to make Dive Man. He pleased everyone. The idea of Dive Man's propellers pushing away opponents is also very interesting, as it can be used as a powerful KOing tool. His U-Air, using his propellers to travel a minuscule distance upwards, also has the propeller frames, pushing anybody below him downwards. This is a rather interesting attack, allowing him to "meteor-smash" opponents while still attacking above him, something which I believe hasn't happened before. For a newcomer's moveset, this is awfully good. I recommend it to all of you, and see what us newbies can do, eh?​
...Seriously, I want to know if anybody enjoyed my movesets.​

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
TAC
by Junahu
I like this idea, a Kirby character who is better at copying than Kirby. TAC's main ability is to snatch up the attacks of his opponents, and use them to his advantage. In cases like TAC vs. Meta Knight vs. Mega Man vs. Fox, this would be an extremely powerful character. In reality, TAC's abilities truly do depend on the people you're fighting. Although with one person TAC can do fairly well, if TAC is in a 4-player match, mixing & matching attacks can be devestating. The bag really doesn't bother me that much, it's an easy way to get rid of unnecessary abilities. If you want to see a true master of knowing your opponent, it would be TAC.​

Smady

Smash Master
GYARADOS

A set that makes a big impression. Gyarados is a monster and the moveset knows just how to play the gigantic water/flying-type so that the player knows it. The system created to play the creature is intuitive as it can be, while retaining a demonstrable sense of balance that you wouldn't expect from a huge character such as this one. The moves are fun, simple and sum up the Pokémon's innate strength and give a sense of power, allowing the player to toy with the stage, the opponent and put on pressure solely using the ginormous mass of Gyarados' body. If that fails, resort to covering the stage in water, crushing the foe or freezing it all over in a satisfying end point for a stock. You can command the match, but he has his downsides - severe weaknesses of the Pokémon can be taken advantage of, not to the point it doesn't feel natural. That is what's so great about this, in my opinion, underrated set: it quells the player's need for wanton destruction and at the same time is delicate about how it goes about it, so that the other players in the match can have just as much fun playing against it.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Remilia Scarlett

Although not the most talked about Froy set this contest, Remilia should by no means be underlooked. Froy explores the very interesting archetype of mid-range characters with Remilia, and does so in a unique fashion with a character who has simultaneous strengths and vulnerabilities to contend with. Though the playstyle isn't as tightly wound around its myriad concepts it showers all over the set, the execution is more than solid enough and the result is a player who would be very unique and fun to play as.

Spider-Man

There's not much to say about Spider-Man that the set itself doesn't say. Spider-Man is simple yet clever, and employs classic tricks from the web-slingers arsenal to create an acrobatic, playful moveset full of options for players to explore. With a unique yet open-ended playstyle and tons of personality oozing from the images as you scroll through the set, it's hard to deny it as an impactful set this contest.

Pinsir

Yet another set that is easy to overlook in favor of other works by JOE!, Pinsir is a moveset that is painfully simple in its approach on one level but has complex depth underneath. With its pain-train playstyle and deceptively straightforward focus-energy tactics, Pinsir is a character that would be fun to play as and against.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
My third choice is the polar opposite of my last, and a bit of an odd one. Kusumi-no-Okami juggles a lot of qualities that would qualify as gimmicks or cheesily broken boss battle tricks, individually things that would be eye-rolling, but are anywhere between clever and brilliant when woven together in the way Junahu did. Kusumi is loaded with various abilities that allow her to completely nullify her foes' offensives or stall indefinitely, and has essentially infinite stocks due to her own unique mode, but is held back by a strict time limit in which she must defeat her opponents or be removed from the match. In the process she uses the Wii U's game pad and its screen to unique effect, allowing the smooth control and monitoring of the battle that she needs.​
Describing it is difficult for me, but suffice to say it's the ultimate example of a whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Whereas I praised Spider Man for being straightforward but well executed and capturing the essence of the character, and Salvatore for encompassing her concept, character, and layers without over-complicating it to the point playing would be more of a hassle than enjoyable, Kusumi-no-Okami takes a high-concept approach to combining many elements that would never work on their own and not only making it viable and enjoyable to envision, but does so in a manner that captures the essence of the character just as well as her fellow recommendations. After all, with those perfect defenses it can be tempting to just lock yourself away from the world and fade away... but that's as much as I'll say for the sake of those who have yet to play Persona 4: The Golden. It may not be the same for everyone, but for me, at least, it's worth recommending- check it out.​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
(NOTE: These are not my advertisements, but Katapultar's. However, SWF is glitched up and he can't post, so I am posting them for him.)

Nemo
By Peeup

Nemo might not have a lot of presence, but I daresay it's easily one of the most fitting sets for a Disney-esque protagonist, or at least for MYM14. Put simply, it's a set for a little boy who fights atop his magical flying bed with his equally magical gremlin creatures who accompany him, along with a magical staff and a squirrel. The bed in itself gives the set a ton of uniqueness points, though even better than that is the way the friends are handled: they can placed on any part of the stage to smack at foes who get near them, but are invincible of which is perfectly fitting given they're from a children's film - you know how those Disney villains in those Disney films get smacked around comically by some of the lesser critters and ultimately stumble off a cliff to their deaths? It's kind of like that. There's also a lot of fun animations and quirks to further help with the set's feel, especially the D-air and teamwork throws. Just that great atmosphere and attention-to-character makes Nemo very enjoyable in his own way, though I'm probably the only MYM'er who can like a set big-time for those reasons alone.

Bone Golem
By Junahu

You might like Water Dragon, Camilla, or even Giant Bat/Mummy Men better, but Bone Golem is charming in itself, managing to achieve a unique aspect of characterization through a unique mechanic: he's a big character with strong attacks, but weak joints that fly off when clanking with a simple attack, making him feel both strong but weak at the same time. The main thing to look out for are 4 arms that compromise not only most of your main attacks, but also Bone Golem's unique jump where he leaves his body behind to take to the skies as a skeletal bat. You can perform some tricks with scattered bones like Fiery Breath and Bone Hole, but there's nothing quite like imagining the pain behind getting hit by 4 arms, especially the extremely satisfying F-Smash. It's a work in itself just for what it manages to achieve that next-to no other set has.

Axel
By Junahu

To be honest, I don't really have a lot of 'justification' for diggin' Axel to the point where it'd probably be better foe Joe to advertise him, but I just couldn't wait. Put simply, Axel is pimp, he's from my favorite video game franchise ever and Junahu even defended the set to the point where it changed my opinion of the Dark Hero a fair bit upon giving him a second chance. In all seriousness however, not a lot of people liked Axel when he was first posted, which was understandable given his NSpec originally hypnotized enemy players with its sound and not to mention the SSpec had forced-characterization, which I don't like despite actually being a thing in the series with some of the Special Skill animations. But you know what? The dude actually responded to all the criticism and edited up some stuff to make it better, meaning it's obviously worth another check. The summonable minion has more depth to it, and, like, he can use his slaps to make it turn around and what not. If you haven't read Axel, you should probably do it.

Smady

Smash Master
The Producer by UserShadow7989
This may be my fourth advertisement, but this set's worth the extra work to get the word out, for the sake of those who love big concepts. The Producer is reminiscent of VideoMan.EXE, except on a grander scale, as you mix together whole sections of the stage and its goings on, rather than strictly copying a character. As he's not strictly a fighter, but a well-rounded original character, The Producer is able to summon obstructions like a wall, or minions called 'extras,' or props to the fight to help ramp up the action for his 'audience.' As you could guess, the characterization is unique and very engaging, much like UserShadow's other set this contest, Marin. To this end, The Producer's greatest downfall is that he does refuse to ever directly intervene in his film and fight for himself, plus the set doesn't truly feel complete with its number of inputs. Nonetheless, if you can appreciate a gem of an idea, wrapped up in a superbly-written set and teased at you by one of the most imaginative writers in Make Your Move, you'll have plenty of fun reading this one.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
(NOTE: Warlord also had Smashboards epicly crapping out on him, so I have also had to post his advertisements. These are MasterWarlord's, not mine)

WALUIGI​

http://smashboards.com/threads/make...et-those-sets-in.335316/page-19#post-16045547

This is definitely what I would picture an ideal actual implementation of Waluigi into Smash Bros as. The set is quite tame for the most part, but still has an abundance of rich playstyle involving Waluigi’s bombs he can bat around with his various moves, and other manners of literal projectile tennis. There is plenty of clever manipulation of bombs and other projectiles on moves like the smashes and Waluigi’s Loser Aura, but it never feels forced when it would be more expected in a set going for a more grounded appeal. Waluigi does an excellent job of representing the various spin offs, but still manages to keep his personal characterization strong throughout. Waluigi making use of the Blue Shell over any other Mario Kart item emphasizes that he’s always in last place. Waluigi gets a bike very similar to Wario’s, enabling him to use it outside his obese brother, but hilariously his is just a generic Mario Kart bike by comparison to Wario’s unique one. Projectile tennis is a brilliant element to give to Waluigi on multiple levels for characterization, the most obvious of course being Waluigi’s large affinity to tennis (The guy trained for years for Tennis 64). Waluigi’s projectile tennis also enables all of his attacks to backfire on him spectacularly, though, just the kind of karma you’d expect on a no good cheater like him. Is it time for him to get a shot at the big time? Dare I say, Waluigi Time? You decide.

KOFFING​

http://smashboards.com/threads/make...us-minami-iwasaki.335316/page-4#post-15523268

While Smady took a break from the more simplistic in his line of Poison Pokemon movesets with Smot and not even having one last contest, Koffing is a strong return to form, evoking memories of Garbodor, Muk, and of course Weezing. In a way, this feels like something of a remix of the MYM 8 Weezing, and it’s a good testament to where we’ve come execution wise. Koffing’s generation of gas enables him to win by simply stalling out the match, but the fact that Koffing generates the gas passively means that he is still very much fighting his opponent. Koffing redirects and powers up his gas to use it defensively and turn it into flinching hitboxes to stall the foe, as well as to use it to extend his range for grabbing and exploding. He plays a rather evasive game, using his tackle to move about from one gas cloud to another, and playing this stalling evasive game is quite difficult when he is so light. The best way for Koffing to gain weight? Why, he’d have to evolve if he wanted to do that. . .

KING BOO​

http://smashboards.com/threads/make...sol-badguy-slayer.335316/page-9#post-15659660

King Boo reminisces to the days when Rool was among us and these sorts of sets were more common, but King Boo is very much needed in this contest to help keep these wacky invisibility trap sets alive. King Boo is no holds barred, with some of the most interesting moves being in the standards such as the dtilt and dashing attack. King Boo can make himself invisible sure, but the more entertaining aspect is to make the roaming spike balls and Boos invisible and play with those, much less moving them around with portals. The moves are very well thought out with a dsmash that enables King Boo to make two traps in one place as far as gameplay by placing them in the fore/background (Without dumb anti-dodge properties), freeing the stage of unnecessary clutter. While the foe is occupied with these traps, you can sneak up underneath them with dtilt and pop a utilt or usmash on them to send them crying on home. Despite the set being very unapologetic, Joe has a hand in this set and manages to keep the chaos relatively contained and playable, including the potential disaster waiting to happen that is the portal.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Salvatore
I've always been a fan of the idea of the bullet hell genre, but as of late I feel it's been running a bit dry on new material after the use of time stops, reflectors, and varied speed projectiles has already been done in so many sets. Salvatore goes a route that was touched on a little in Kang, with being able to toss away weapons after she uses them, at which point her gunmen pick them up and finish the job. The real excitement comes when Salvatore starts playing with the projectiles though, by creating energy shells over them to make them more imposing, firing them from a top a ride-able projectile alongside one of her minions, customizing the path of projectiles with her stars(combine that with the previous one and you can build the path of a projectile you can ride), or creating a wall of flame through which buffs the projectiles of her allies. Despite all the potential interactions it's never overwhelming for the reader or the player, showing that when he sets his mind to it Kat can make his sets very comprehensible and even logical, and of course it's very respectful of the source material in the use of minions as pseudo strategy game units for her to command and pulling out all kinds of wacky weapons that, if they weren't directly from Disgaea, would absolutely feel at home in it. It's perhaps the best moveset Katapultar has ever made and he really shows how fascinating his style can be when it's not weighed down by insanely dense writing or incredibly strange interactions, and it's deserving of a high spot on any vote list.

Ant Hill Mob
This was definitely a much more in smash contest than most in recent memory, and while for many that's not explicitly a bad thing, for those of us who like to see a set really cut loose we were a bit out of luck. Ant Hill Mob though, is as a Wacky Races set might imply, is quite crazy with both a large number of gangsters, a car, explosives, cement, stilts, and a whole host of other abilities that not only are all utilized in the set, each of them is given an extensive amount of flow and options to play around with. It doesn't push you in any one direction, allowing the player to come up with their own wild and insane scheme to win the match, and if a particular strategy fails, there are a wide variety of back-up plans for even a failed set up. Of course, the player has to be careful, as the gangsters are each terribly fragile and vulnerable when separated from the vehicle, and if you lose even one of them it becomes a slippery slope, and the amount of set up required on any seemingly broken plan is mitigated by the fact that they usually require extensive set-up, so the set actually feels reasonably balanced. It feels a little disjointed in places, but all the same that just adds to the eccentric, almost improvisational nature of the mobs schemes. It's not a set everyone will like as much as I do, but at the very least it deserves a look.​

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Advertisement Period is now over. Voting Period will now begin! Due to the Christmas festivities, which are liable to take up time for people, we are offering an extended voting period, which will end with the year. So voting period ends on December 31st!

We got a lot of wonderfgul ads and eligible voters this contest! Our eligible voters are:

Eligible Voters: BridgesWithTurtles, Chris Sifnoitis, Getocoolaid, Conren, TheKalmarKing, JOE!, FrozenRoy, APC99, Smash Daddy, darth_meanie, UserShadow, Katapultar, MasterWarlord, Junahu, ForwardArrow

This gives us a total of 15 eligible voters, a wonderful number!

Voting Information

When you vote, you get 3 types of votes: You get 6 Super Votes, 15 Regular Votes and 15 Weak Votes. As you may have guessed, some are stronger than others. Super Votes receive 3 points, Regular Votes receive 1.75 points and Weak Votes receive 1.25 points. As you may have guessed, the better you feel a set is, the higher you vote it.

You do not have to have a full vote list, nor must you fill a section before filling another. So if you only wanna SV 4 sets with 10 RVs and 15 WVs, that works too. Is very simple!

How do I vote

Leadership elects 2 Vote Gurus to handle voting and are sent the votes via Smashboards conversations. This contest, your vote gurus are myself, FrozenRoy and our neighboorhood friendleader ForwardArrow. Please send your votelists to both of us to vote. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them in thread or privately to me or ForwardArrow.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Advertisement Period is now over. Voting Period will now begin! Due to the Christmas festivities, which are liable to take up time for people, we are offering an extended voting period, which will end with the year. So voting period ends on December 31st!

We got a lot of wonderfgul ads and eligible voters this contest! Our eligible voters are:

Eligible Voters: BridgesWithTurtles, Chris Sifnoitis, Getocoolaid, Conren, TheKalmarKing, JOE!, FrozenRoy, APC99, Smash Daddy, darth_meanie, UserShadow, Katapultar, MasterWarlord, Junahu, ForwardArrow

This gives us a total of 15 eligible voters, a wonderful number!

Voting Information

When you vote, you get 3 types of votes: You get 6 Super Votes, 15 Regular Votes and 15 Weak Votes. As you may have guessed, some are stronger than others. Super Votes receive 3 points, Regular Votes receive 1.75 points and Weak Votes receive 1.25 points. As you may have guessed, the better you feel a set is, the higher you vote it.

You do not have to have a full vote list, nor must you fill a section before filling another. So if you only wanna SV 4 sets with 10 RVs and 15 WVs, that works too. Is very simple!

How do I vote

Leadership elects 2 Vote Gurus to handle voting and are sent the votes via Smashboards conversations. This contest, your vote gurus are myself, FrozenRoy and our neighboorhood friendleader ForwardArrow. Please send your votelists to both of us to vote. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them in thread or privately to me or ForwardArrow.

Dumb question, but... can I vote for my own sets? Or is that a huge no-no?

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
You can in fact not vote your own sets. That wouldn't really be fair now would it.

By the way if you haven't already, I'd go out of my way to read as many sets as I can during voting week. It would be better to have a more complete picture of the contest.

Top Bottom