• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make L-Canceling Harder

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Okay, I was thinking about this for a while, and I decided to actually sit down and come up with a plan/solution for it. This is basically a trick to make it much harder for your opponent to L-cancel... and in some cases, just SHFFL aerials at all.

If you don't like long explanations, then skip to the bottom; the technique is concisely described in pretty font colors.

We've all pretty much known that the IC's, having two shields, can mean the opponent must adjust for two different sets of hit-stun. But I decided to delve into a little study on how their shields work, with light shielding, hard shielding, and direction, and how we can ruin our enemy's lives.

So first off, as a preliminary for people who don't know, I'll explain how hit stun works.

If you hit ANYTHING in this game, your character lags. You actually freeze in place. It's pretty easy to see if you use a powerful move against a group of Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story. The lag, however, only applies to the characters hitting and the characters being hit. What does this mean?

A couple things. One is that it makes moves last longer. So as an IC player, you need to be careful when you use Nana as bait, because if she gets hit, then the enemy's attack will take a bit longer to finish. If you want to punish you have to account for that time.

Second is that when an attack hits somebody, it freezes. This means all its hitboxes are stuck in one place until hitstun ends, at which point it starts going again. But an attack moves. It's hitboxes travel around a bit. This means it's possible to hit things that are close together at different times.

The third thing to note is that hit stun changes L-canceling and fast fall timing.

With all that knowledge, we, as IC's, can make people hate us.

But Wobbles, how can you do this with shields?

I'm glad you asked,s conveniently placed disembodied voice. By making one shield bigger than the other through light shielding, you make it so that the lighter shield gets hit first. This stalls the attack and adds hit stun. It then hits the smaller shield, which adds more stun. This can drastically change the timing of an L-cancel or fast fall. If they attack really deep in your shield, however, this won't work, because they'll still hit both shields simultaneously.

But how do we make the shields different sizes?

Well, it seems to work out conveniently for the IC player, because all you have to do is shield a little slower than normal. If you start off with a light press of the R or L button, then Nana and Popo will light shield. As you hold it down farther, however, Popo will use the heavy shield while Nana continues to light shield! This works until you fully press in the button, at which point Nana goes to a complete heavy shield.

If you combine this neat trick with shield direction -- just lightly press a direction on the joystick while you shield, and move your shield-- you can make the opponent hit the different shields at different times. This pretty neatly RUINS their muscle memory.

Also, on another note, because the aerial or tilt or smash will stall, you could theoretically roll behind the opponent while they have hitstun. This could be very tricky.

The only problem is that it takes a few frames longer than normal to set-up. But if you wavedash into shield with the intent of taking an aerial on your shield, then you have the advantage of planned aggression, and you can probably get away with it.

tl;dr?

If you press L or R lightly, then slowly press it harder, you will make Nana's shield bigger than Popo's. This makes attacks have more lag stun and makes it harder to L-cancel, and fast fall.

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
Wow...this sounds much more useful than wobbling..thanks wobbles...maybe you should make a tut vid just for us IC people who do not understand some part like...direction wise..please?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
awesome haha i love it when people actually take the time to be CREATIVE with their characters
wobbles is the perfect example of that, dont just do what you know, but make up something new and great

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
wow....that can be incredible

i have a doubt, i think i sometime do it, but i never stop to thinking what i'm doing, my friends sometimes say that they can't l-cancel or mistake their fast fall in my shield and i can grab than before they setp in ground...i was using this technique and don't know ?
or was just luck ?

and i didn't undestand this part

"If they attack really deep in your shield, however, this won't work, because they'll still hit both shields simultaneously."

this atk really deep means atk really in my shield, when they are so close ?

that's a great idea, have no words to cescribe what i read here
=)

Shadow_I)ragoon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SyNeaX
I didnt even know we could move the sheild, but in which does you have to make your sheild move? Confront the aerial by putting sheild mostly in fronts of the IC's?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Not to shoot your down; its a great strat, but Chu has been doing this since the beginning of time.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Whenever I try to lightshield with IC's I ALWAYS get lightshield with Nana and regular shield with Popo. I just assumed that was how the IC's lightshielding worked.

I do this pretty frequently, the only problem is that some people are actually able to SHFFL through it and they always hit me when I expect to be able to shieldgrab. :(

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I try to lightshield with IC's I ALWAYS get lightshield with Nana and regular shield with Popo. I just assumed that was how the IC's lightshielding worked.

I do this pretty frequently, the only problem is that some people are actually able to SHFFL through it and they always hit me when I expect to be able to shieldgrab. :(
to both ics use lightshield u really to press the shield reeeallly lighty

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Not to shoot your down; its a great strat, but Chu has been doing this since the beginning of time.
Well, unfortunately for almost every player on smashboards, almost no pros ever tell people about their discoveries or tactics. If you meet them in person and they like you, maybe... but when is the last time you saw a pro seriously sit down to write out genuine information?

I can think of a few examples off the top of my head: Forward in the Falco forums and MD, and Cactuar in the Marth forums. I don't really visit the other forums, but I don't often hear about them really chatting with amateurs.

But thanks for the compliment. Even if I'm only emulating accidentally, at least I'm emulating the best.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Yeah, Chu's a jerk to any1 he doesn't know, even to those he does, LoL. I'd been trying to attempt this in various matches for a while, but not with much luck. I think I'll give it a go again though, with this new approach. Thanks for the ever-fresh strats, Rob. Long live the Phoenix! Lmao, we and Azn Lep need to put that in our sigs or something...

PB&J

Smash Hero
thanks wobbles i was just trying to figure something outlike that playing with xif latley..ill def try to use this on him

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Using this trick makes the Up B out of sheild desynch much more useful because instead of having Popo do the laggy "Throw-Nana-Up" animation, he actually stays in sheild stun while Nana is just getting out of Sheild stun and jumping out of sheild, ready to retaliate. All the while, the enemy is suffering hitstun. It's GREAT for when Marth tippers your sheild and you need that final smash for the match.

I was doing this by accident about two weeks ago when I was facing a Falco and he couldn't pillar my sheild without getting grabbed BY NANA. It was pretty cool.

Of course, my fingers aren't precise enough to shift the sheild at a moment's notice. I usually wind up dodging. >_<

All in all, good ****, Wobbles. I wish I was as creative as you. :(

DRGN

Technowizard
Whoopsies, wrong account. Delphiki here. ^_^

I've been using this for a long time, but I've got a bit out of the habit recently. Definitely a good memory refresher.

I find that space animals hate this the most. It messes up tons of approaches.

Also, Lixivium (I think) has mentioned before to move the shields up and between. If they're approaching from above, it almost completely nulls their time to L-cancel.

The only problem I have with this is that it's a detrimental desynch if you miss the grab, and they may still hit the L-cancel.

Buddha

Smash Apprentice
since i guess we're all in a generous mood here...

the nana-lightshield edgehog is teh ****in sex edgeguard against marth. with only nana lightshielding, she alone is pushed to edgehog and your popo is left on the edge of the stage to punish just in case the marth anticipated the edgehog and landed on stage.

Top Bottom