• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
2. Item Time Paradox
As you all know, Majora's Mask takes place during a repeated three day cycle. Every time Link plays the Song of Time, he travels back to day one and loses all the items he collected. Well not every item. It seems that it's okay to keep inventory items, like weapons and masks, but when it comes to rupees, bombs, and arrows, Link loses them every cycle. It simply doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying Link should lose his items and mask collection every time he travels back, but why does he need to lose everything else? Sure, they're all fairly easy to collect, but it can be such a pain to go scavenge for supplies every single time you need to reset. If Link kept everything in his inventory, then fine, we can call it some side effect of the Hero of Time, but since he can only keep specific items, it leaves us scratching our heads. This is just bad game design meant to inconvenience the player.
This is true. I noticed also that when Link is transported back in time for the first time, he travels in time to before he lost the Ocarina of Time. However, somehow he kept the Ocarina the entire time, and was able to transform back to human. It's as if he kept a nonexistent duplicate Ocarina, while being warped back in time, only to lose the true Ocarina, and give the Mask Salesman that nonexistent duplicate. That's a huge paradox, right at the beginning of the game.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It may be true, but as Skyler said, it's nitpicking at its prime. Time traveling ALWAYS has a paradox, no matter which movie/game/book/whatever it's in, because time traveling is such a complex (and likely impossible) idea.

And if this paradox didn't exist, what would become of the game? You go back in time...suddenly the Ocarina you were just playing is gone...and now you're right back to the start of Day One with the same things you had the first time. You go back through the Three-Day cycle and end up with the Ocarina right at the end of the cycle once again.

And then it repeats ad infinitum.

The lack of paradoxes isn't worth eliminating the entire game.

(Not to mention that I don't think the Ocarina is a duplicate. If you go back and fight Skull Kid again, does he have the Ocarina?)

DaisyBoo92

Smash Apprentice
What kind of person quotes himself, about Chuck Norris? What is with this world nowdays?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
This is definitely my favorite Zelda game ever, followed by Wind Waker and Oracle of Seasons.

I love this game so much, that I almost did a 100% completion of it in just one cycle. Unfortunately, I couldn't do everything. I missed:

-The Great Fairies: I was planning on doing all of them last, but I only had like 6 hours left when I completed everything else.
-The Title Deeds: I thought it would be too annoying to do them. I just gave my first Title Deed to the hand in the toilet and got done with that. XD
-Reuniting the Seahorses: I found out that you can't do this after you defeat Gyorg. I felt so sorry for them. :(

Everything else I did do, though. It warmed my heart to save Pamela's father, help Anju and Kafei, save Romani Ranch, play the Song of Healing for several people, etc., all in one cycle. =)

:069:

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I love this game so much. This is my first time playing through it (I had the opportunity to play it right after OoT, but the three-day thing was pretty intimidating back then) and its FANTASTIC. I love how story driven it is, with all the depressing and sad stories going on in everyone's lives, how cool (most) of the masks are, how awesome the Gilded Sword looks, I even love how Link hits backflips whenever he jumps. This game is quickly becoming my second favorite Zelda (surpassing WW and creeping up on OoT), it might even be my favorite by the time I beat it (Im currently on the way to the 3rd dungeon, I just got the Zora mask). I hope that the new Zelda for Wii is story driven and has dynamic and interesting characters like this one.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
This is my favorite game of all time also why wont nintendo bring back fierce dieity link
he was amazing

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Anyone who HASN'T played it yet? They are missing out.

It's my second favorite Zelda game, next to Ocarina of Time. Then it's either Twilight Princess or Wind Waker for 3rd...

Tough call.

But yes. Majora's Mask! I'd have more to say... When I'm awake.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
I loved how some of the characters that you see in OoT have a bigger role to play in Majora's Mask. I loved the feel of the game. The masks were useful in their own way, and I love the unorthodox things Link had to do in order to acquire them. Every time I play that game, I learn something new about it.

Afterbirth

Smash Rookie
This is the greatest zelda-game ever in my opinion. It had so much. The history behind it all, each npc's background, all the sidequests, bombers notebook, the masks. Every little inch of this game is worth exploring. It's so mysterious, yet it feels like home when I'm playing it.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
This is my favorite game of all time also why wont nintendo bring back fierce dieity link
he was amazing
This is funny, my friend and I were talking before Link's Final Smash was out that it would be so cool if they made him use the Fierce Diety Mask and just go crazy.

That would have been amazing. Tink can keep the other Final Smash.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
i would love to see masks come back sience they were retty useful also fierce deity would be amazing to come bqack and also i would like to see majoras mask and ganon bound together ganons mask would make a cool final boss mm is the best :D

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Idea, although not fully developed (a crappy one at it)

When skull kid said he "got rid of" Hyrule Epona, what if he did kill the Hyrule epona and replaced it with a horse that looks exactly the same, but has the same metal state as skull kid?

There was a scene in MM where they talk about skull kid (without the mask) trying to find friends, being lonely, where the faries (I tael and tatel (sp) ) find him. Well as said before, one of the Romani sisters says, "A small, lost horse seems to have been taken in by Romani Ranch, south of town..." and maybe it is not Hyrule Epona, but instead a Termina Epona? I mean, a lot of the characters from OoT to MM are different than who they were before (Sakon, for example), so how could Epona be any different?

I've noticed that a lot of MM is based on unaware vs. knowing. Clock town is chaotic freakout because they have no idea what is going on with the moon, but the other half is completley unaware of what's going on ...The Town Mayor is torn in his decision to either acknowledge or not acknowledge a potentially fatal event while The Bombers are playing their hide and seek games.

So what if Skull Kid killed Epona because she knew too much and replaced her with a horse that was lost and dependent? It would explain why she ran over to him when he came over, but didn't know Epona's song.

*shrug* It's just an idea. A crappy one at that. But I'm not going to be like "sodfsdfbfd youre wrong" to anyone, I was just putting an idea out on the table.

Spire

III
BRoomer
^ Actually, we discussed this a long time ago, so I'm glad you brought it back up because I don't think it was ever really settled. Given the game's context, we see:
- Skull Kid steals Epona
- Skull kid "got rid of Epona"
- A notice says, "a small, lost horse seems to have been taken in by Romani Ranch, south of town," which heavily implies YOUR Epona
- You go to Romani ranch and relearn Epona's song to retrieve her.

It's leaning towards her being the Hyrulean Epona, but there definitely is always the possibility that she's the Terminan counterpart.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
random question time has anyone here gotten everything in majoras mask i know i havent i could never get those stray faries

rhan

Smash Hero
Idea, although not fully developed (a crappy one at it)

When skull kid said he "got rid of" Hyrule Epona, what if he did kill the Hyrule epona and replaced it with a horse that looks exactly the same, but has the same metal state as skull kid?
I think the real question here is:

How did Young Link obtain Epona when he never owned her as a child? Adult Link owned her but yet he apparently owns her traveling to Termina?

These are the questions that blow my mind...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
He could have just hung around the ranch all the time. We're led to assume he just found some other way to get the horse, as he knows Epona's Song which gives him a great advantage to begin with. They don't explain this in the games because it would be pointless and boring.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
There is the assumption that there is a time span in between OoT and MM. Link is taller, has a bit different hair (That could be improvement of the game modelers) and he has that chest belt.

I'm currently playing this again.

I have 14 hearts, all owl statues activited, the first 2 temples done, and 19 masks. :p LOVE THIS GAME.

rhan

Smash Hero
Pretty much beat the mid-boss and Light arrowed all the suns I've seen. I know at this point I'm suppose to flip but I cannot seem to find out how...

Spire

III
BRoomer
haha. that's what I thought when I figured it out. but you see the switch before you even get in the temple so it's not that crazy.
Except for the fact that you usually never expect the temple to have a puzzle based entirely outside of it. Sure, some temples/dungeons are based "outside" such as Dragon Roost Island, Tower of the Gods, the awesome part in the Goron Mines, and the majority of the City in the Sky, but those are just aesthetically outdoors, not actually in a removed zone from the dungeon. Another small element that sets MM apart from the rest of the series.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Here's a fun fact, you can activate every owl without beating a single dungeon.

You just need

Bow & Arrows
Bombs
Goron Mask
Zora Mask
Deku Mask
Epona
Garo Mask
Captain's Mask
Hookshot

You still have to go through a bit of the WoodFall Temple to get the Bow And Arrows though.
If anyone's interested I'll post more, though I doubt I'm the only one that knows this, but I'd like to share if anyone's interested. :)

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm not irritated that the a part of the Dungeon takes place on the outside because I actually thought about that and pressed the 3 switches at the entrance thinking that would do it. I'm mad that I did that.... AND DIDN'T SEE THE SWITCH RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE....! :mad:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just beat the game (again). I orgasmed (again). The part that hit me the most is the end of the Anju and Kafei quest when theres less than a minute left and they say they'll wait in the room until morning the next day. Its just to ****ing sad.

Also, can I speak for everyone when I say Gyorg is the hardest efing boss ever? All the others were a sinch but holy crap. Two fairies and 1 1/4 hearts left?

I didn't have a fairy this time around for Gyorg, but yeah, he's a ***** compared to the other 3...

"No! JUMP YOU STUPID ZORA PIECE OF ****! AAAGGDPIGVD!!!!"

Well, I had 12 hearts at that point, so dying wasn't too likely, at least I hoped it wasn't, and got through it alright.

Twinmold is like, Gohma compared to Gyorg.

Well, so is Majora with the FDM.

I love the FDM so much...

Terminian Hero of Time ftw!

Also, anyone else not understand why they give us the GFS after Stone Tower? It gets, like, one bossfight of use if that..it'd be better to get that after Great Bay or something, at least then you can use it in Ikana and Stone Tower.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Ooooh a MM thread! This was my first LoZ game. I personally think this was a better game. I loved the transformation masks and strangely dark storyline. The only thing i couldn't stand was the 3 days only thing.

Oh, and this game is the most unstable game i have ever hacked. Never hack this unless on an emulator lol.

Top Bottom