• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Mains"

Brookman

Smash Hero
Instead of taking something to an extreme, let's use something realistic.

Chu decides that, in order to support his playing in matches his ICs are weak against, he will pick up other characters that do well vs the character he has trouble with. In this case, we will say Pikachu vs. Peach. Or young Link vs. Peach.

Chu dat doesn't just beat the peach players with pikachu because he is good, he beats them because he has knowledge of that character in that match up, and in general, IN COMBINATION WITH his over all skill.

What would make some Link main better than PC's link is experience in a wide range of match ups. It has nothing to do with knowledge of the character alone.

Aesir

Smash Master
Instead of taking something to an extreme, let's use something realistic.

Chu decides that, in order to support his playing in matches his ICs are weak against, he will pick up other characters that do well vs the character he has trouble with. In this case, we will say Pikachu vs. Peach. Or young Link vs. Peach.

Chu dat doesn't just beat the peach players with pikachu because he is good, he beats them because he has knowledge of that character in that match up, and in general, IN COMBINATION WITH his over all skill.

What would make some Link main better than PC's link is experience in a wide range of match ups. It has nothing to do with knowledge of the character alone.
This is the most true statement ever and I think the threads discussion has ended.

Cort

Apple Head
Yeah, end the topic. Now.

...even though it's supposed to be an insightful discussion on the concept and ideas people get when they talk about "mains"...

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
I'd just like to say that I think this idea of "mains" has gotten entirely out of hand. For example, something I've been seeing a lot of lately is the assertion that a player's skill with a character that they play casually is somehow unworthy of acknowledgement in relation to that of a player who "mains" said character. It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized exactly how much this mentality annoys me.

The whole concept of maining a character really boils down to nothing more than a mindset. It says nothing of the ability of the player, and should not serve to give one player leverage/preference over another, indiscriminate of their relative skill levels. To put it bluntly, if somebody *****, they ****. End of story. It doesn't really matter in the long run as I'm sure the truly talented are content to just beat everybody and don't really care whether they receive their due credit or not. Still, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth to know that PC Chris won't get credit for playing one of the best Falcons/Links/Marios/Marths/[insert character]s in the world due to some arbitrary, imaginary set of qualifications.

I suppose I'm not so much against the idea of having a main (although I have some qualms there as well) as I am against the elitism that it frequently engenders.

I'm not trying to provoke or flame anybody with this post. I just had something to share and I sincerely hope that it will foster some interesting and cathartic discussion. :)
MM my pika

Lol

But I'm split on this argument. Yes there are players that do pretty good with other characters that they're not "well known" for

But let's use your PC chris example

If PC Chris and some other top player get to the finals of a big tourney and decide to use low tiers... The results of the match doesn't warrant the automatic title of best [insert character] in the universe.

And a person who mains that character is willing to use said character against anyone

If PC is down a match in a set of a major tourney, I don't see him counterpicking link or zelda.

And in closing MM my pika

ZoSo

Smash Champion
If PC is down a match in a set of a major tourney, I don't see him counterpicking link or zelda.
That's because Link and Zelda are bad characters. That doesn't mean he isn't good with them.

I've played your Pikachu and I was impressed. What does that have to do with anything?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I can't read very well so I only read the first post and the last page

Are you suggesting that every character that someone has skill with should be considered their main? If so, if someone sucks even with the character they claim to main, should said player not have the right to call that character their main?

gnosis

Smash Lord
I think this has something to do with the arguments in character specific boards about how, if a player doesn't main a character, they shouldn't be considered if you're making a rankings of the best players of that character. Like in the Top 10 Peaches/Falcons/Whatever threads. I think that's at least part of the idea that, if a person doesn't main a character, then they don't get as much of a shining reputation as a main would.

And as far as that specific part goes (though I'm saying nothing about the idea as a whole), I have to agree with it. Because ideally, rankings should come from analysis of tournament results and other important matches, not opinions gathered from friendlies/Youtube/whatever.

So let's say, hypothetically, PC Chris had an amazing Falcon, but never proved anything in a serious match with that Falcon and instead relied on his other characters. Then you couldn't accurately judge PC's Falcon among other players who do put their Falcon 'on the line', so to speak. With Falcon mains, we see what they actually accomplish in serious matches whenever they enter a tournament.

And while PC's Falcon may be good enough to be in the Top 10, without him consistently showing it in matches that matter (as a main would do), well, it's only fair not to consider him for rankings.

Again, all hypothetical, but I think that's the reasoning behind this specific part of an otherwise silly idea/argument/whatever.

N64

Smash Champion
Low tier mains just want recognition for the excrutiating pain we put ourselves through by playing a terrible character against better characters whenever possible.

We're greedy attention whores..

Not that I especially care, just about any pro that picks up pika could probably play him better than me (and some do lols), he's just the most fun character i've ever picked up.

Cort

Apple Head
I'm confused as to when any kind of character rankings should be "fair" or not.

PC used Falcon against M2K's Marth in their MLG Long Island set (and I think, 3 stocked him one game)

If people stopped putting up this mentality that they had to use the same character all the time in order to place well at tournaments, then the community today would be far more evolved in terms of the metagame and counterpicking.

Also, people that seek attention through their low tier mains should just stop playing this game all together, as they're probably not going to get very good considering they'd be too wound up around what other people think of them to actually care about their own development as a player.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If people stopped putting up this mentality that they had to use the same character all the time in order to place well at tournaments, then the community today would be far more evolved in terms of the metagame and counterpicking.

Also, people that seek attention through their low tier mains should just stop playing this game all together, as they're probably not going to get very good considering they'd be too wound up around what other people think of them to actually care about their own development as a player.
1. I know exactly what you are talking about. For example, if I had to play against someone that mains Marth and seconds Fox, many of these people wouldn't think to play Fox against me because Marth is their main. Even when they're a match down in a tourney set, and we've played together in friendlies before and I know that their Fox is more likely to beat me. Sometimes it does make sense though to play only one character in tournament. All of my secondaries suck compared to my Zelda. I'm more likely to lose to someone if i switch characters mid set, regardless of what character they play, so I'm better off sticking with the same.

2. I'm not trying to seek attention through my character choice. I've tried to main other characters numerous times, and failed. Peach has failed me so many times it's not even funny. Also some high tier mains are too focused on what other people think of them... I'm sure you can list some examples.

Brookman

Smash Hero

Are you suggesting that every character that someone has skill with should be considered their main? If so, if someone sucks even with the character they claim to main, should said player not have the right to call that character their main?
He's pretty much saying the exact opposite of what you just said. He's saying that if a player is great with a character they should get the recognition they deserve, regardless of whether or not they main said character. Also, if someone is awful with a character, that is just them not being good.

You really can't read well, go back to grammar school.

So let's say, hypothetically, PC Chris had an amazing Falcon, but never proved anything in a serious match with that Falcon and instead relied on his other characters. Then you couldn't accurately judge PC's Falcon among other players who do put their Falcon 'on the line', so to speak. With Falcon mains, we see what they actually accomplish in serious matches whenever they enter a tournament.

And while PC's Falcon may be good enough to be in the Top 10, without him consistently showing it in matches that matter (as a main would do), well, it's only fair not to consider him for rankings.
I think your use of PC's falcon goes over everyone's head maybe, they just see you say his falcon is bad, and miss the hypothetical part XD

If you're saying that PC chris shouldn't be considered the best (insert character here) based strictly on the fact that he is PC chris, than I agree with you there. But in most cases, chris has showcased a superior skill with many characters than that characters best main.

If you're saying something different then you should be burned at the stake, heretic!

PC Chris shows his superior ability by playing the character that he feels will give him the best chance of WINNING IN TOURNAMENT. It's not about character selection, at all. What matters is WINNING. That's what cort's issue is with people who have mains.

Low tier mains just want recognition for the excrutiating pain we put ourselves through by playing a terrible character against better characters whenever possible.

We're greedy attention whores..

Not that I especially care, just about any pro that picks up pika could probably play him better than me (and some do lols), he's just the most fun character i've ever picked up.
Like you N64! you could be so much better, but you play pikachu :(

It's like trying to swim the english channel in jeans and a winter jacket. Characters like the marios and all the low tiers just can't cut it in tournaments. They CAN NOT WIN. No matter how hard you train, or how many secret jutsus you learn, even if you become hokage of the hidden **** village you won't win a tournament with bad characters.

I'm confused as to when any kind of character rankings should be "fair" or not.

PC used Falcon against M2K's Marth in their MLG Long Island set (and I think, 3 stocked him one game)

Rankings are supposed to represent things accurately, and if there is no evidence of PC having the best pichu in the nation (which he does) then there's no ground to put him at the top of the list. Part of the reason lists like that are made is so that new or lesser players can see who the top names are, and learn from them. If PC, m2k, KDJ, ken, isai, azen etc were all on the top every character list no one would be able to learn anything from people who actually play that character.

PC having one of the best falcon's in the world is irrelevant to Gnosis' post.

You're one to talk, mr. "I'm too scared to play anyone but peach" Maybe you could actually use a good character in tournaments if you didn't have that mentality since forever. People just play the characters they feel most comfortable with, or that they have the best chance of winning with.

There are some people who just play pichu to be stupid "YO I REPT DUH LO TEERS" but well, they just add more money to the pot, so god bless.

Junpappy

Smash Lord

You really can't read well, go back to grammar school.
What was grammatically incorrect about what I posted?

Brookman

Smash Hero
>__________________>

Lol.

I really can't tell if you're now playing an ongoing joke on me, or if you really suck at reading.

PS4Lthekingofsmash

Smash Rookie
I don't think I saw this, but may have missed it.

Azen = pwns with everyone. There is a video about it.
To my knowledge Azen has the best Luigi and DK. And is even better with other characters (peach?). I don't believe he has a main. I've even seen him counterpick w/ Mewtwo.

other then that... I don't really have a main. I "use" Luigi, Jiggs, Yoshi, Pichu, Marth for Leisure, and Ganon. I also use almost every other character in friendlies. Your main is your main but who cares. What does it matter to anything who you would choose to use in a tournament setting. I went to a tournament and had TONS more fun with Yoshi then Marth because he's, well, Yoshi. Games about fun, forget all else. ('cept MMs)

btw - the kid that wrote in gangster used a program that transforms what you write into gangster speak. For something along those lines try going to gizoogle.

Top Bottom